• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why is this game so good? I’ve never played any other BG games, and I was thoroughly uninterested in this one. But the positive response is hard to ignore. It doesn’t seem like the type of game I’d personally like, but it obviously has some amount of mass appeal, so I’m reconsidering getting it.

It squishes D&D into a single or multiplayer video game better than anything else before it. Everything is tip-top across the board, the plot, characters, writing, world, combat and systems and depth of both, music and overall sound design, the sheer amount of different ways a playthrough can go, the whole package.

I still wouldn't call it "mass appeal". You're gonna have to want to like turn and numbers based strategy combat and deep RPG mechanics. You can play it for 2 hours on Steam and refund it before that time if you wanna try it.

You have to restart the entire game?

No, 250mb update

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Shouldn't have updated

B0gDX8G.png

calistan

Why is this game so good? I’ve never played any other BG games, and I was thoroughly uninterested in this one. But the positive response is hard to ignore. It doesn’t seem like the type of game I’d personally like, but it obviously has some amount of mass appeal, so I’m reconsidering getting it.
There's just something about it. In general I'm not mad on hardcore RPGs, monitoring stats or creating characters. I avoid almost everything with goblins, dwarves and magic - I've never watched a Lord of the Rings movie, and I'd rather spoon out my own eyeballs than play World of Warcraft.

This is just great though, it's so well put together and doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. I even like that it has a narrator, as if you were playing a tabletop game.

Totally unique and massive (but not in a bad way, no AC towers or an incomprehensible map full of icons). It's the ultimate 'role playing' experience I have ever played. Not for everyone, but I've also never played a game like it or another game from Larian, and I'm totally smitten.

amigastar

I like that there are quest markers.
As far as i know DOS2 didn't have questmarkers, right? At least not everywhere.
Also game is currently 96 on MC, wow.
I've only had one crash in the game where i wanted to teleport to somewhere else but so far game runs pretty stable.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Massive content (good handcrafted content, not copy/paste stuff) and world/story interactivity in a scale never seen before with a fully produced AAA game, even compared to post-morrowind big Bethesda games.

On top of that, visuals, direction, music, story, VA, characters... all top notch.

And combat is actually very good, satisfying, with a lot of depth to it. Even if you don't like turn based, this might just be the game to convert you.

geary

One of the feats of this game that stands out from other crpgs is the fact that every interaction with an NPC has a cutscene. I think this is the main reason for mass appeal.
People just dont want to read lines and lines of dialogues in a isometric view and with questionable font size. They just want voice over and cutscenes.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Man I’m wrestling with buying this. Concern is it may be too difficult and complicated. And if I should get in PC or wait for PS5. First world problems
It can be a little overwhelming at first (and under tutorialozed), but it's not really that complicated. It's more that it tosses you into the deep end quite quickly.

amigastar

It can be a little overwhelming at first (and under tutorialozed), but it's not really that complicated. It's more that it tosses you into the deep end quite quickly.
That's true, it definitely is no Europa Universalis IV or such. Sure you have to look up systems and such but not that complicated.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is just great though, it's so well put together and doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. I even like that it has a narrator, as if you were playing a tabletop game.
Oh there’s a narrator? That could definitely make a big difference to me. I’ve got ADHD, and by the time I’m able to game in the evening, my meds have worn off. So I’m not usually in a mental state to track a lot of story/characters/etc.

Do y’all think narration helps with that in this game?

SF Kosmo

Nice. I have been having some odd bugs. Got a creepy skeleton guy in my camp without having done the thing to meet him, and some other characters I was supposed to encounter are MIA.

SF Kosmo

Oh there’s a narrator? That could definitely make a big difference to me. I’ve got ADHD, and by the time I’m able to game in the evening, my meds have worn off. So I’m not usually in a mental state to track a lot of story/characters/etc.

It's second person narration, which definitely adds to the tabletop feel. Like "You notice an odd rock formation that piques your interest," stuff like that.

Gorgon

It's not really that kind of narration, I fear. Here's an example from my own playthrough:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I might give it a try for an hour or so on Steam Deck to see if it clicks.

Dacvak

Wait, what’s this whole “bear sex” thing about? Apparently I’ve missed something.

Ps5ProFoSho

Hmmmm......apparently not ready for XS so it wont release on the Xbox console.....but IS coming out on Sept 6th on PS5....same day as XSX Starfield. Me thinking a bit of cash flowing Larian's way from Sony. Giving Sony another timed exclusive.
This has nothing to do with timed exclusivity smh. Seems like a fanboy refusing to realize the series s is holding xbox back hmmmmm
Sure hope I don't get cancelled by a mod again for console warring 🙄

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
A brave man volunteers for tribute.

Lol, good luck making it to Q4 without getting spoiled. This is doing Rockstar numbers

Tbh, there's so many options I doubt this game could be spoiled for me. And I don't go on social media. I only live on here.....sadge

But, think I'm going to buy it just to make sure they get my money and I'll hang fire until I'm finished with starfield.

Majukun

I'm still at the first area but so far the game has not "took" me yet...i wonder around choosing whatever option sounds better, but i'm not getting into the mechanics yet

calistan

The naming system for save files is kind of annoying. I like to have a few saves and overwrite the oldest, but they keep the names they were created with. So my current save might be Autosave 5, the next most recent is Dank Crypt 3h 30m. Weird that they don't update the names. All the autosaves are starting to mount up too, I have over 500MB of them now.

Fools idol

Banned
my gnome assassin is really coming in handy now in Act 2. So many gnome / smallfolk / rogue specific checks in play.

I figured out that you can use acid on wood to 'dissolve' it, making some fights where verticality comes into play a hilarious game of 'weeeee' ensues. And generally just using the shove ability to push full health enemies into death with one click.

The naming system for save files is kind of annoying. I like to have a few saves and overwrite the oldest, but they keep the names they were created with. So my current save might be Autosave 5, the next most recent is Dank Crypt 3h 30m. Weird that they don't update the names. All the autosaves are starting to mount up too, I have over 500MB of them now.
Yea I cleared out a bunch of old saves and named my most recent save “*character name* - Main” yesterday. And that will be the one I overwrite going forward. I plan to make other characters and could see it start to get super confusing.

Guilty_AI

my gnome assassin is really coming in handy now in Act 2. So many gnome / smallfolk / rogue specific checks in play.

I figured out that you can use acid on wood to 'dissolve' it, making some fights where verticality comes into play a hilarious game of 'weeeee' ensues. And generally just using the shove ability to push full health enemies into death with one click.
Hows act 2 so far? Does it get to the city already? Bugs? Still maintains the quality of the first? Later acts being not as good as the first has always been something people were concerned about pre-launch.

Last edited:

amigastar

Hows act 2 so far? Does it get to the city already? Bugs? Still maintains the quality of the first? Later acts being not as good as the first has always been something people were concerned about pre-launch.
I'm not at Act 2 so far myself but i remember someone said (was it fextralife? Idk anymore) the game really gets going at Act 2 and its better than Act 1.

Tahj

I'm such a mega-snail w/ Larian's games, exploring every little corner I can, every conversation, steal anything (I main Rogue), etc, & never bored. Loving BG3!

Faust

Perpetually Tired

So far I think it is even better than Act 1. Still early on though, so things could take a nosedive. But I love the characters and dilemma's being introduced, the wonderful combat system gets more intricate, and a lot of earlier quests get really good payoffs and continuations here.

Fools idol

Banned
no city yet, I believe that is the final act from what others in the thread saying. Bugs still a minimum

Last edited:

Gorgon

You can limit the total amount of autosaves generated in the Options.

Yea I cleared out a bunch of old saves and named my most recent save “*character name* - Main” yesterday. And that will be the one I overwrite going forward. I plan to make other characters and could see it start to get super confusing.

Saves with different main characters are kept separate in different submenus.

So far all reports I've seen say that Act 2 gets even better. Bugs still exist and Larian is hard at work on them. They are releasing patches quickly.

no city yet, I believe that is the final act from what others in the thread saying. Bugs still a minimum

Yes, the city is in Act 3, the final act.

Sleepwalker

Bought the game for a friend and we joined in with another friend who already owned it, 3 hours went like a breeze. This game is so much fun in coop, I'll get my wife to join in with us next time.

Question, if I made the save for 3 players online, can I modify it to allow her to join as 4th? Or do we need to start a new one?

Gorgon

Bought the game for a friend and we joined in with another friend who already owned it, 3 hours went like a breeze. This game is so much fun in coop, I'll get my wife to join in with us next time.

Question, if I made the save for 3 players online, can I modify it to allow her to join as 4th? Or do we need to start a new one?

The way I understand it, she won't be able to make a custom character for herself and will have to pick up a companion NPC already in play. Multiplayer for X players with X custom characters requires creating those X characters from the very start of the game. Someone else can confirm.

Top Bottom