• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Gorgon

Look at Conan Exiles... Same age ratings, no genitals on Playstation.

Oh! So that's why I didn't get genitals even though the option to turn them on on my server was there?

Guess I will have to return to PC sooner than I thought. Fuck this and the lack of mods.

Ar¢tos

Oh! So that's why I didn't get genitals even though the option to turn them on on my server was there?

Guess I will have to return to PC sooner than I thought. Fuck this and the lack of mods.
Sony seems to think that adults that play on PC are more mature than adults that play on Playstation...

There are technical nitpicks that annoy me the hell out and I am tempted to refund for now and wait for some future version (I hoped 1.0 was gonna be perfect after 3 years of early access):

• beard and hair color cannot be set separately, so I have to go beardless because dark blonde beard looks bad (and there is no five a clock shadow option, WTF)
  • for some reason game version number is visible in game, utterly nonsensically
  • I hate that I cannot freely control camera on controller (cannot look up, wtf…)
  • I had to force vsync via drivers, had tearing in intro cutscene despite vsync triple buffer being enabled in options menu
  • Also, there is no possibility to set controller camera sensitivity, and default is too low.
  • Also, no possibility that I can see to select toggle on right analog stick (to see interactables in the world).
Minor nitpicks, not a single reason to not play the game. You’re missing out. Only thing that really annoys me there’s no option to turn of the game version. There’s no reason why you’d like to watch that the entire game.

Gorgon

Minor nitpicks, not a single reason to not play the game. You’re missing out. Only thing that really annoys me there’s no option to turn of the game version. There’s no reason why you’d like to watch that the entire game.

I think yesterday's patch fixed that. Haven't tried it yet.

Gorgon

Sony seems to think that adults that play on PC are more mature than adults that play on Playstation...

You'd think that with the parental options built in to these machines, we could be treated as adults. I mean, from Nintendo I expect whatever, but it's Sony and MS. I don't need a company telling me if I can watch dick in my games or not.

Guilty_AI

Well, Conan: Exiles ain't anime.
Really? What is this here then?

1253CBE69716E7B769D3C71C9EEC458C5E5D83EA

4098F16F51D4C75891A7E3F75634B7CEB7E6B319

The naming system for save files is kind of annoying. I like to have a few saves and overwrite the oldest, but they keep the names they were created with. So my current save might be Autosave 5, the next most recent is Dank Crypt 3h 30m. Weird that they don't update the names. All the autosaves are starting to mount up too, I have over 500MB of them now.
I just renamed it to main, backup 1, backup 2.

acidagfc

I got to Underdark and then moved to
Forge
area.
I thought it's going to be a rather short sprint to an actual next story location, but those caves are fucking larger than the area above them.

And you're telling me this is not even the second act of the game? Duuuude.

geary

I got to Underdark and then moved to
Forge
area.
I thought it's going to be a rather short sprint to an actual next story location, but those caves are fucking larger than the area above them.

And you're telling me this is not even the second act of the game? Duuuude.
This is one of the question i have? The underdark is still Act 1? I found the entrance
under the goblin camp
. Is that the only entrance?

acidagfc

This is one of the question i have? The underdark is still Act 1? I found the entrance
under the goblin camp
. Is that the only entrance?

I chickened out from going through the
spider caverns
, which I suspect could be the other entrance.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I went mountain pass rather than Underdark. Will probably do another playthrough at some point and go that way instead rather than trying to see everything in one go.

Done a decent chunk of act II, the side quest town is SO GOOD.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Man, the more i play, the more stuff i just want to try and test out. As much as i want to commit to one storyline i can't help but wonder "what if i did this?" in many situations.

For example when shadowheart's artifact gets bound to me, what happens if i "betray" her? If i kill her i know the artifact keeps with me (saw on youtube), but what if i just piss her off so much that she'd want to leave my party? Would she even leave? Maybe try to kill me? I feel really tempted to keep trying things like this but it really halts the nice flow of the story if i keep stopping to experiment with every little thing. I feel so conflicted :pie_lcry:

Last edited:

calistan

I just renamed it to main, backup 1, backup 2.
If you rotate through the save files like that, surely you'd have the backup files taking turns at becoming the current one. Unless you keep renaming them every time.

What it should do, like most other games, is automatically apply an appropriate name. When I save over Autosave 3, it should become Ruined Village 16h 45m or whatever. No big deal but it seems like an oversight to me.

acidagfc

I went mountain pass rather than Underdark. Will probably do another playthrough at some point and go that way instead rather than trying to see everything in one go.

Done a decent chunk of act II, the side quest town is SO GOOD.
How difficult is the mountain pass? The game showed me a warning about me being too low level for it. I was 4 at that moment. Underdark is fine at lvl 5.

calistan

Man, the more i play, the more stuff i just want to try and test out stuff. As much as i want to commit to one storyline i can't help but wonder "what if i did this?" in many situations.

For example when shadowheart's artifact gets bound to me, what happens if i "betray" her? If i kill her i know the artifact keeps with me (saw on youtube), but what if i just piss her off so much that she'd want to leave my party? Would she even leave? Maybe try to kill me? I feel really tempted to keep trying things like this but it really halts the nice flow of the story if i keep stopping to experiment with every little thing. I feel so conflicted :pie_lcry:
It's almost overwhelming, isn't it? I went down one path with the Irish granny lady, which I knew I didn't really want to take - I only wanted a peek, and then I was 20 minutes further down the line before I noped out of it and went back to an earlier save.

Now I've had a glimpse of what lies ahead I'm not sure which direction to go to. I think in future I'll just try to live with my first choice.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How difficult is the mountain pass? The game showed me a warning about me being too low level for it. I was 4 at that moment. Underdark is fine at lvl 5.

You can definitely do mountain pass if you can do underdark. I got my shit slapped in the underdark, went away and did some side stuff instead but ended up taking the mountain route in the end. Not even seen this forge people are on about.

Guilty_AI

It's almost overwhelming, isn't it? I went down one path with the Irish granny lady, which I knew I didn't really want to take - I only wanted a peek, and then I was 20 minutes further down the line before I noped out of it and went back to an earlier save.

Now I've had a glimpse of what lies ahead I'm not sure which direction to go to. I think in future I'll just try to live with my first choice.
Must resist the dark urge.

Guess i'll just play normally at first and leave the experimentation for other playthroughs.

Last edited:
I chickened out from going through the
spider caverns
, which I suspect could be the other entrance.
There's also an entrance from Aunty Ethel's "teahouse".
And by "spider cavern", do you mean the one under the blighted village you enter from the well? Didn't see any entrance there...

There's also an illusory wall in the Zhentarim hideout with a lift, I suspect you could use it to get to the Underdark as well but I had opened their chest so I had to kill everyone, not sure if they'd have allowed you if you stay in good standing. God, I hate failing quests I didn't even know existed because I used the "wrong way" to get there...

Last edited:

AV

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

acidagfc

There's also an entrance from Aunty Ethel's "teahouse".
And by "spider cavern", do you mean the one under the blighted village you enter from the well? Didn't see any entrance there...

There's also an illusory wall in the Zhentarim hideout with a lift, I suspect you could use it to get to the Underdark as well but I had opened their chest so I had to kill everyone, not sure if they'd have allowed you if you stay in good standing. God, I hate failing quests I didn't even know existed because I used the "wrong way" to get there...
Oh, shit, right. I saw a marker pointing to Underdark from the
hag's place
, but could not find where it was exactly, and fuck all of the poison vents, I just noped out of there after
killing the hag
And I did find the
Zhentarim
place, but I decided not to fight with them, so did not even explore their area at all.

If you rotate through the save files like that, surely you'd have the backup files taking turns at becoming the current one. Unless you keep renaming them every time.

What it should do, like most other games, is automatically apply an appropriate name. When I save over Autosave 3, it should become Ruined Village 16h 45m or whatever. No big deal but it seems like an oversight to me.
Nah I double save when convenient (usually after a long rest) so I always have a fresh party if something goes awry on my main. Then my 2nd backup will always lag behind before a big story decision.

So much optional content and all of it (so far) has been top tier. Like entire games worth of stuff that has no bearing on the main quest but is still brilliantly executed with proper stories and voice acting.

I'll be coming back to this 10 years from now and will still find new stuff, new ways to resolve quests & new ways to approach the combat encounters like I did with games like Deus Ex.

Tossing people off cliffs with my barb will not get old.

One thing to note is that certain areas progress without you if you long rest which makes perfect sense. While it's powerful to long rest all the time you can miss stuff if you do it in the middle of a dungeon. I've only been resting between major areas.

I went back to the Underdark, and managed to beat the Spectator by triggering the fight from inside the outpost (by shooting at one of the petrified drows). Then I beat the ones the thing was mind-controlling. Then the Bullette a bit further in (pretty easy fight actually, can't even climb/jump so I bombarded it from above lol).

Although, the place has a few DC 30 traps that don't get disarmed even with a success. What's up with that?

Anyway, back to the goblins. I'm level 5 after this small "excursion" so I don't expect them to be too much trouble... And since Karlach got her extra attack, that means she can throw her returning spear twice in one turn. With the ring that gives +1d4 damage to thrown items, and Tavern Brawler, she deals insane damage (and it's only going to get better).

Denton

Missing out on what exactly? I started playing it on thursday at 6PM CET.
Those nitpicks are from my own play (40 hours so far).
And yes, the game version being displayed is now finally fixed properly. The others still remain.

Clocked 40 hours to clear Act 1. Game is enormous.

I have exactly 40 hours now according to Steam, and still have yet to go to Ethel, or Underdark. Just about to do the LeaZel quest with that kreche of hers. It is enormous but to be fair, sometimes I repeat some situations multiple times because I want to see other lines of dialogue and what not. I expect my final playtime to be around 200 hours...Witcher 3 level.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Started it yesterday and I'm instantly hooked. I haven't touched any CRPGs since the 90s/early 2000s. Never been a huge fan of the this style of of RPGs, honestly. This feels more accessible while maintaining the complexity & depth the genre is known for. What I'm most struck by is that I haven't felt inundated with dialogue and story at all. The cut scenes and voice acting are so well done that I'm not skipping through anything. This game is special.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The game is so varied you could do a solo character and a co op character. Easy.
I wanted to wait because the sense of discovery will not be the same but fuck it, I launched solo. 9 hours in and it's amazing.

Fools idol

Banned
Playing on tactician, and I've hit a major brick wall of difficulty with a boss in Act 2. Not sure how I can progress, unless I man up and beat this thing xD

First time it's happenned. Not to say that tactician is easy, far from it, just that this one is the first time I've thought I can't do it. Going to backtrack some and find more healing resoures.

Guilty_AI

The music change right after you kill an enemy is such a great little touch, it helps making what should've been a slow combat get your blood pumping.

geary

38 hours in and just now went to underdark. If you take the underdark route, can you come back to the mountains later?

One of the feats of this game that stands out from other crpgs is the fact that every interaction with an NPC has a cutscene. I think this is the main reason for mass appeal.
People just dont want to read lines and lines of dialogues in an isometric view and with questionable font size. They just want voice over and cutscenes.
That’s got to be a ACT 1 thing right? I can’t imagine that they would be able to pull that off in the City itself.

Fools idol

Banned
The music change right after you kill an enemy is such a great little touch, it helps making what should've been a slow combat get your blood pumping.

there are so many little touches like that in the game.

In general the explosions feel meaty as hell, firing a thunder arrow and causing a huge blast while enemies fly everywhere never gets old. I actually killed the Hobgoblin warlord guy by blasting the brazier which caused a huge explosion, knocking him back into the spider pits below, where he was eaten alive in a few turns 🤣

DanEON

Playing on tactician, and I've hit a major brick wall of difficulty with a boss in Act 2. Not sure how I can progress, unless I man up and beat this thing xD

First time it's happenned. Not to say that tactician is easy, far from it, just that this one is the first time I've thought I can't do it. Going to backtrack some and find more healing resoures.
Is the jump from Balanced to Tactician that big? I am playing on balanced and its kinda easy. I am thinking on change it to Tactician, but I fear to hit those walls you mentioned.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Are you guys trying to go full completionist on your first play through or leaving some areas for follow up runs cause its just too massive??

Im still in Act 1 and discovering tons of massive ares branching off random little side quests, lots of the same areas mentioned above lol.

I love the ambition, but shit I don't wanna burn out before I finish the game. I might start forcing myself to push the main story a little and knowingly leave some areas for next time.

I know I want to do a second play through with a different character, I might leave some areas undiscovered for that run.

Sleepwalker

Super early but from last night:

We started as a party of 3 with one NPC (shadowheart) we did all the intro stuff in the ship then started exploring around, we came up to some sort of ruins/buildings where our charlatan background rogue friend talked a few dudes out of fighting and then left, there was a crack in the floor so another friend who plays as a sorceress took down some rock and opened a hole in the floor, our rogue friend got hit by the rock and fell down into a basement like a moron, this initiated combat with a full party of like 8 enemies which actually was pretty hard for our level/familiarity with the game.

I can't help but feel we murdered a bunch of people that could've been allies under other circumstances lol, I love this game, cant wait to get back at it tonight.

Guilty_AI

Im in ACT 3 and that just how whole game works, otherwise it would be.. strange, don't you think.
Hows act 3 btw? I heard its quite overwhelming in terms of content and somewhat buggy. Is that your experience?

Yeah but the overall sound volume in this game is pretty low. Game is much more quiet than most games
Actually, i read on steam forums some people get an audio bug where the voice sounds really low and compressed. Audio is fine on my end so you should check out if this isn't the case for you.

GloveSlap

Super early but from last night:

We started as a party of 3 with one NPC (shadowheart) we did all the intro stuff in the ship then started exploring around, we came up to some sort of ruins/buildings where our charlatan background rogue friend talked a few dudes out of fighting and then left, there was a crack in the floor so another friend who plays as a sorceress took down some rock and opened a hole in the floor, our rogue friend got hit by the rock and fell down into a basement like a moron, this initiated combat with a full party of like 8 enemies which actually was pretty hard for our level/familiarity with the game.

I can't help but feel we murdered a bunch of people that could've been allies under other circumstances lol, I love this game, cant wait to get back at it tonight.
I don't think you can talk to them. I did the crack in the floor after they were already dead luckily. I just went through the front door and then popped the exploding barrel. After that i just stationed one of my allies at the lever that opened the door. Every time someone came through the door i would hit the lever to close it and my whole party would jump them. Easiest fight ever, lol.

I don't think you can talk to them. I did the crack in the floor after they were already dead luckily. I just went through the front door and then popped the exploding barrel. After that i just stationed one of my allies at the lever that opened the door. Every time someone came through the door i would hit the lever to close it and my whole party would jump them. Easiest fight ever, lol.
Well I did it Skyrim-style: cheesing them with a stealth archer lol

ThisIsMyDog

Hows act 3 btw? I heard its quite overwhelming in terms of content and somewhat buggy. Is that your experience?
Yes to both, i have encountered one bug that prevents me from progressing the main story, or at least in the style I would like so I am waiting for a patch and in the meantime doing other things, and there are quite a few.

Top Bottom