• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Fools idol

Banned
I realise I completely missed an entire encounter on my playthough - Auntie Ethal's house in the swamp with the redhat guys.

I'm started a parallel runthrough with a different party and am struggling with this fight - anyone got tips? what level is recommended to beat her?

Gorgon

That is what made me try controller mode in the first place.

It's pretty much like a standard third person console game. You control your character with the left stick, the camera follows automatically and you can rotate/zoom it with the right stick.

In combat you can hold the stick down to enter tactical view.

Oh, awesome.

But the menus, yeah, that's probably gonna be a bit more painful.

Fools idol

Banned
edAGCWj.jpg

Last edited:

Sentenza

Holy shit.

When Gale wants to show you a magic trick at the camp, be careful with the final choice :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The way they handled romance in general is one of the few things I don't like about the game.
It's not enjoyable to feel like you are traveling with a group of sex pests who keep hitting on you and taking any attempt to be kind toward them as an endorsement to flirting.
What's worse, is that they are also rather pushy about it and they generally don't take rejection well.

I feel like except for out-of-the ordinary story-relevant reasons the relationship with companions should always default into friendship/camaraderie/trust unless the player is actively chasing romantic involvement.

Not to mention I think something must be bugged, because at some point for instance I had Gale (which I never had any flirty interaction whatsoever, not even the notorious "magic lesson" others talked so much about) coming out of nowhere with what was basically a "Stop two-timing. It's time for you to decide: it's going to be me or Shadowheart??" to which I wish I had the option to answer "WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?", but what I was offered instead were just two options to keep him around ("I love you" or "I love you both and I can't choose") and something like "It's over between us".

After the rejection, at some point I found myself invited to meet him under a starry sky. I suspected where this was going, but I complied.
He lured me in some sort of picnic spot, where my character sit on his side (with some of the most effeminate body language I've seen in a while, in a way that was unintentionally funny for a barbarian half-orc, incidentally) and when it came to the point I was left basically with the options of making out with him (sorry, not my cup of tea even as a videogame fantasy, REALLY) or telling him the equivalent of "Fuck off, Gale, I'm outta here"... To which he responded with extreme disappointment (and Approval loss,of course... -5, I checked) and the scene ended abruptly.

It's not really tasteful.

AAAANYWAY, romance-related rants aside the game is EXCEPTIONAL. Even as someone who played this thing in EA for three years and had all the time in the world to grow tired of it I'm constantly in awe with every bit of new content I'm seeing. I just entered Act 3 (which seems to be in for a great start) but Act 2 blew the first out of the water.
The abandoned temple/Githyanki creche in particular may be some of the best content I've ever witnessed in the genre.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Stupid question. I Thunderwaved a boss into a chasm for the win. However, I couldn't tell if I actually got XP for it. Can anyone confirm that you do indeed get XP?

This was the Phase Spider Mother...boss thing in the caverns under Blighted Village accessed via the well. And I happened to see a TikTok after the fact that showed you could get to the Underdark via the chasm I just shot the spider boss into using Feather Fall. So I have no idea if it could have survived. I doubt it, but you never know with this game.

ssringo

Gold Member
I realise I completely missed an entire encounter on my playthough - Auntie Ethal's house in the swamp with the redhat guys.

I'm started a parallel runthrough with a different party and am struggling with this fight - anyone got tips? what level is recommended to beat her?
On normal I did the encounter at level 4. A centralized wizard using magic missile can counter her clones (one hit to kill). It's a bit tricky if you want to save the girl on the fly but you can sneak around the right edge and place a person or two further down and bring them in once the fight starts.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

If you have anyone with magic missile (or a scroll), position them with a good view of the arena and hit every mirror image plus her once each to clear them out instantly.

Took me a few attempts, on one of them I just happened to get her next to the pit very quickly and succeeded a shove.

There's probably a cleaner way to save the girl using water but I vine whipped her ass outta the cage with my druid and left her with 1 HP.

Last edited:

Denton

its not like you have to do anything. You can always just leave the quest open until its forced to close down due to the moving story. I never bothered completing the quest to steal the druid idol for example.
True. But leaving her there with dead husband and kid on the way sucks too. It's still a shame we can't give her some money or invite her to camp or something.

Sleepwalker

So idk what happened but we made it to the town where youre supposed to convince the druids to help the other guys after the goblins attack at the gate. Fast forward idk what happened or who in our party did it but there's a full blown civil war playing out, some bears aggro us, everyone in the town is just dead lol

Found the owl bear that was obviously just protecting its kid, tried to talk to it but it was already enraged, one of my party members killed the cub as well.

So basically so far everywhere we go we just make things worse lol

I also killed one of the characters that had lazael imprisoned and somehow that ended with me breaking my vow as paladin so now some dark knight wants my ass.

The harpies at the beach also killed the kid and killed us all, they were too strong and the lure was hard to play around.

I think I need a single player save :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Guilty_AI

So idk what happened but we made it to the town where youre supposed to convince the druids to help the other guys after the goblins attack at the gate. Fast forward idk what happened or who in our party did it but there's a full blown civil war playing out, some bears aggro us, everyone in the town is just dead lol

Found the owl bear that was obviously just protecting its kid, tried to talk to it but it was already enraged, one of my party members killed the cub as well.

So basically so far everywhere we go we just make things worse lol

I also killed one of the characters that had lazael imprisoned and somehow that ended with me breaking my vow as paladin so now some dark knight wants my ass.

The harpies at the beach also killed the kid and killed us all, they were too strong and the lure was hard to play around.

I think I need a single player save :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Coop always devolves into chaos. My guess is one of your buddies stole the druid idol, that triggers the civil war.

Wow a level 6 spell, which with a level cap of 12 your character can never actually cast. Wonder if they have other higher level spells tied to gear.

Guilty_AI

One curiosity i read on reddit, apparently there is no 'slide-show' at the end. That means those 17k ending variations are in cutscene form.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Anyones game start to chug badly after a few hours? I get constant stuttering its awful. Only restart works. I have 32gb ram

Guilty_AI

Anyones game start to chug badly after a few hours? I get constant stuttering its awful. Only restart works. I have 32gb ram
Yes, there's been talks the game might have a memory leak, though it takes a few hours for performance to be affected.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
yeah
That's odd. I have probably some of the highest hours # clocked amongst this thread (120 played), havent seen any issue like that. What system setup do you have?

Guilty_AI

yeah

That's odd. I have probably some of the highest hours # clocked amongst this thread (120 played), havent seen any issue like that. What system setup do you have?
120 hours ÷ 7 days =~ 17 hours per day

:pie_fearful:

i5 13600k, 32gb ram, m.1 ssd and a 3070ti
Are you on Vulkan or DX11? DX11 has a bunch of issues and only really exists for low-spec systems. If you're using it, switch to vulkan.

Last edited:
Yea. Have had the same issue on a 4090+5800x3d+32gb Ram. It manifests especially when turning the camera after a couple of hours ...restart fixes it. This is on DirectX 11.

Last edited:
There we goooooo! First legendary ✨

AyB36nb.png
Ooh, shiny! I saw there was an achievement for this (didn't know it was a weapon though), just don't know where that Rosymon Monastery place is yet :p

Although at the moment I'd rather get a bloody scroll of magic missiles, no vendor has had one... guess I'll have to get that Hag another way, probably flasks of acid/fire/something else...

Hugare

im on dx11. heard vulkan has worse performance no?
Vulkan bas better performance if you are CPU limited, and DX 11 if you are GPU limited

I've encountered some pretty bad drops in DX 11 that were gone when restarting the game, then I changed to Vulkan and never looked back.

DanEON

Capping the frames fixed it for me. Uncapped the game runs at 100-110fps but it's a stutter mess, so I capped it at 90fps (in game frame lock) and its 100% smooth now.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
The end of act 2 - holy fucking shit. Lol

This game bois. Weekend is here, onward to Baldurs Gate city I go.

I'm now getting that real dread feeling that soon this game will end and I will be hollow inside for the rest of my days lmao... well until Larian makes another game

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The end of act 2 - holy fucking shit. Lol

This game bois. Weekend is here, onward to Baldurs Gate city I go.

I'm now getting that real dread feeling that soon this game will end and I will be hollow inside for the rest of my days lmao... well until Larian makes another game

Replay it on tactician mode.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Is anyone rocking a dual wield build and enjoying it?

I love dual wielding I thought that would be my jam.... but giving up your bonus action just seems way too crippling to make it viable.

Especially on like Barb or something where you could use that bonus action to just attack twice with a greatsword or something.

Guilty_AI

T
Is anyone rocking a dual wield build and enjoying it?

I love dual wielding I thought that would be my jam.... but giving up your bonus action just seems way too crippling to make it viable.

Especially on like Barb or something where you could use that bonus action to just attack twice with a greatsword or something.
theres a toggle that disables the autonatic use of the bonus action for dual wield. On the weapons icons in your UI, below the sword symbol

Last edited:
Killed a potential party member. Never did that in an rpg but since Im rerolling once the ps5 version drops Im just gonna yolo with my drow. Would be interesting how different a second playthrough is gonna be.

Top Bottom