• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Luipadre

wtf are these gnolls in the cave dude. Attacking 4 fucking times in a round. Sometimes the combat is such bullshit

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
wtf are these gnolls in the cave dude. Attacking 3 fucking times in a round. Sometimes the combat is such bullshit
At level 5 martial classes get a second attack per round. Fighters also have action surge and a bonus action on top of that, rogues can have two bonus actions, etc. Level 3 spells at class level 5 start to blow up groups and heavily shift the battlefield in one go. Offensive power ramps up heavily after early game.

Fools idol

Banned
So discovered something pretty cool tonight.

If you rescue the bard Volo, you can dialogue tree your way into him attempting to remove the brain tadpole with hilarious results.

He gauges your eye out with an ice pick. In return for the mishap, he gives you a permanent buff called "See Invisibility" via a glass eye arcana.

lmao

Last edited:

geary

If you rescue the bard Volo, you can dialogue tree your way into him attempting to remove the brain tadpole with hilarious results.

He gauges your eye out with an ice pick. In return for the mishap, he gives you a permanent buff called "See Invisibility" via a glass eye arcana.

lmao
I didnt let do that thinking i’ll get a debuff 😞

Skifi28

lmao
Yeah, that was....unpleasant.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

lmao
I saw that giant thing and noped out. Cool that you get an interesting trade off!

He gauges your eye out with an ice pick. In return for the mishap, he gives you a permanent buff caller See Invisibility via a glass eye arcana.
lmao
Yeah, I considered it another callback to Planescape Torment where you can remove an eyeball and replace it with other eyes.

sedg87

Is this game beginner friendly? The only comparable game I've played is Pillars of Eternity and I enjoyed it, though It took me ages to get to grips with everything.

twilo99

Gold Member
Is this game beginner friendly? The only comparable game I've played is Pillars of Eternity and I enjoyed it, though It took me ages to get to grips with everything.

Not beginner friendly, at least I don't think it is.. I've had to watch quite a few tutorials lol

Fools idol

Banned
Is the jump from Balanced to Tactician that big? I am playing on balanced and its kinda easy. I am thinking on change it to Tactician, but I fear to hit those walls you mentioned.
thus far, all walls have been climbable. You just need a deep understanding of all the mechanics, and know what each status does, how to position your party etc. It's just more punishing if you don't plan battles basically.

Guilty_AI

Its more beginner friendly than most crpgs, but there's still a learning curve. The game does hold your hand a bit by starting out slowly, giving you an inspect button that lets you check what each term and symbol means, etc.

But yeah, you'll still need to learn.

calistan

Switched it off at a reasonable hour today, for the first time. I’ve reached a point in act 1 where all of my choices lead to negative outcomes or major fights, and I’m suffering battle fatigue.

Having so few spells to cast in each fight is an obstacle I haven’t been able to overcome. Add a buff and heal a character, that’s two of my six spells gone and all the time I’m taking damage. The battles are tough. There aren’t enough side quests available right now to level up, so I seem to have run out of options.

Labadal

^

You can use potions as healing bonbs by throwing them close to your characters.

You get a lot of scrolls with spells. Do not be afraid to use them. My mage ran out, so I relied on scrolls for a few fights. There are also buffing scrolls, not just damage.

Have a candle with you, dip your weapon in it: Voila! Free extra fire damage.

Height advantage is an absolute must for ranged party members.

These things all add up.

FireFly

Switched it off at a reasonable hour today, for the first time. I’ve reached a point in act 1 where all of my choices lead to negative outcomes or major fights, and I’m suffering battle fatigue.

Having so few spells to cast in each fight is an obstacle I haven’t been able to overcome. Add a buff and heal a character, that’s two of my six spells gone and all the time I’m taking damage. The battles are tough. There aren’t enough side quests available right now to level up, so I seem to have run out of options.
To add to what Labadal said, if you're taking damage all the time you should try and get your AC up on all characters and cast spells that give disadvantage on enemy attack rolls to help your frontline fighters.

- Check that all characters that are using a one handed weapon and can use shields, have them equiped. (This gives Gale an extra 2 AC)
- For Wizards, don't forget to cast mage armour after every long rest
- Shield is a really useful spell for preventing damage since it only kicks in if you have lost an attack roll
- Make sure all your party members have the best equipment. For example Shadowheart IIRC only starts with 13 AC, but you can find better medium armour. Or even steal Lae'zel's if you are not using her.

Last edited:

Denton

The quest with Hag/Mayrina starts so well, but the ending leaves a lot to be desired:

There is no way to end it peacefully in a non-asshole way without reviving the poor guy and making him a zombie? You can either revive him and let him go to city with her (seems like very bad idea), or revive him and attack him (which makes her aggressive too, and knocking her out nonlethaly, journal still says she is dead - lame!), or revive him and taking him as your own thrall (not really something I need or want), or snapping the wand in two before her like total asshole. And that is it?

Why can't I leave her in peace to mourn her husband, perhaps give her some money for a new start?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
- Check that all characters that are using a one handed weapon and can use shields, have them equiped. (This gives Gale an extra 2 AC)

Bear in mind there's a difference between "can use shields" and "have shield proficiency". Pretty sure Gale doesn't have this and it'll prevent him casting spells.

The quest with Hag/Mayrina starts so well, but the ending leaves a lot to be desired:

I'm almost certain I had the option of doing the last one minus the money part, maybe I'm forgetting.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

What level are you right now and what does your party look like? On normal difficulty at least the game gets easier every level, or has so far and I'm nearly through act 2 I think. Those first few levels are rough, by level 5 I was chewing through stuff much faster with extra attack rolls etc. You also get way more options at your disposal for different scenarios.

FireFly

Bear in mind there's a difference between "can use shields" and "have shield proficiency". Pretty sure Gale doesn't have this and it'll prevent him casting spells.
That's what I meant by can use shields. Gale gets shield proficiency through being a human.

I'm almost certain I had the option of doing the last one minus the money part, maybe I'm forgetting.
You don't have to mention the wand, but I don't think it ends the quest that way.

Last edited:

AV

That's what I meant by can use shields. Gale gets shield proficiency through being a human.

Ohh fair enough, I've not actually tried to slap a shield on the guy. Good idea. Think he'll be in my party to the end now.

Denton

The dialogue option is there, but if you pick it, the quest doesn't end, and just expects you to talk to her again and revive zombie or destroy the wand.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV

AV

Limmy's decided to give it a crack, will be evil. Not sure how long I give him.

Guilty_AI

The dialogue option is there, but if you pick it, the quest doesn't end, and just expects you to talk to her again and revive zombie or destroy the wand.
its not like you have to do anything. You can always just leave the quest open until its forced to close down due to the moving story. I never bothered completing the quest to steal the druid idol for example.

calistan

What level are you right now and what does your party look like? On normal difficulty at least the game gets easier every level, or has so far and I'm nearly through act 2 I think. Those first few levels are rough, by level 5 I was chewing through stuff much faster with extra attack rolls etc. You also get way more options at your disposal for different scenarios.
I've just got to level four. My party is a wizard plus Shadowheart, a transformed Wyll and either Lae'zel or the fiery red one. I backtracked and discovered a vampire elf guy near the start, but he seems annoying. Gale left for good because I gave him a mind probe.

Shadowheart seems to be the only indispensable one, since she has some sort of necrosis spell that does three times as much damage as anything else. Plus she promised to get it on with my lady elf wizard next time we were alone, so I'm waiting for that.

Gorgon

I've just got to level four. My party is a wizard plus Shadowheart, a transformed Wyll and either Lae'zel or the fiery red one. I backtracked and discovered a vampire elf guy near the start, but he seems annoying. Gale left for good because I gave him a mind probe.

Shadowheart seems to be the only indispensable one
, since she has some sort of necrosis spell that does three times as much damage as anything else. Plus she promised to get it on with my lady elf wizard next time we were alone, so I'm waiting for that.

That Gale thing is strange. If I remember correctly, when you find him for the first time there isn't a moment in which your mind connects with him and you get visions of his past experiences, unlike all the others? Hope there is a fictional explanation for that and that it's not just an excuse to give you the option to mind probe him (and him getting pissed and leaving).

Astarion is pretty good at lockpicking and disarming traps. Very useful in dungeons. But I think I'll be sending him down a cliff at some point anyway. Shadowheart isn't nearly as useful from a pure mechanical standpoint.

Last edited:

ssringo

Gold Member

lmao
I did that on my Barb playthrough and was going to let it ride but the downside to that option is
you lose movement in exchange for the new eye. Seemed to be about 40%.
Had to reload and go a different route. Probably pretty good trade with a different class though.

Last edited:

AV

Shadowheart seems to be the only indispensable one, since she has some sort of necrosis spell that does three times as much damage as anything else. Plus she promised to get it on with my lady elf wizard next time we were alone, so I'm waiting for that.

Keep at it, level 5 is a big power spike especially for the fighters. Won't bore you with the standard tips if you've made it this far, just reiterating, use long rests as needed to refill spells. I'm limiting myself as much as possible and I've got 10+ rests constantly banked, no real need for that.

Hello there!
Just quick question - what the things in character creation I can change in the future? (or what cannot be changed?)
I'm 8hrs in (complete noob) and already want a fresh char but maybe I can change something in my char in the future?

AV

Hello there!
Just quick question - what the things in character creation I can change in the future? (or what cannot be changed?)
I'm 8hrs in (complete noob) and already want a fresh char but maybe I can change something in my char in the future?

You can change class on any character, or just do the same class with different choices. You have to find Withers first, he's in the dank crypt right near the start of the game.

Gorgon

You can change class on any character, or just do the same class with different choices. You have to find Withers first, he's in the dank crypt right near the start of the game.

I think he will show up anyway at your camp even if you don't find him.

By the way, my Base Camp looks like a nudist beach. Am I the only one?

calistan

That Gale thing is strange. If I remember correctly, when you find him for the first time there isn't a moment in which your mind connects with him and you get visions of his past experiences, unlike all the others? Hope there is a fictional explanation for that and that it's not just an excuse to give you the option to mind probe him (and him getting pissed and leaving).

Astarion is pretty good at lockpicking and disarming traps. Very useful in dungeons. But I think I'll be sending him down a cliff at some point anyway. Shadowheart isn't nearly as useful from a pure mechanical standpoint.
Gale was holding back on some detail about his past, so I gave him the old mind probe and used the info in my next response. He instantly figured out what I'd done, and told me not to do it again, but there was another mind probe option listed in the responses so I tried that and failed the roll. Gale flounced off in a huff, never to return.

Skifi28

kyxBpZ9.gif

AV

I think he will show up anyway at your camp even if you don't find him.

I did think it was a weirdly necessary thing to have to stumble upon.

Lae'zel was nekked for a while but I gave her her modesty back.

Fools idol

Banned
Can someone tell me if you ever find out what exactly 'Withers' the skeleton is, and his background? without spoilers please.. just a yes or a no. Very intriguing character to say the least

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Can someone tell me if you ever find out what exactly 'Withers' the skeleton is, and his background? without spoilers please.. just a yes or a no. Very intriguing character to say the least
All i know is that i kept throwing him around camp and he didn't do anything besides being utterly disappointed by the futility of my actions

Fools idol

Banned
All i know is that i kept throwing him around camp and he didn't do anything besides being utterly disappointed by the futility of my actions
Ijust assumed hes one of the 3 gods that were once men (hes found in the crypt behind a jergel / bhaal statue so would make sense..

mxbison

Controller mode is legit excellent. Almost feels like a different game, more direct and immersive. Crazy how much extra effort they put into the UI. Combat and inventory management is obviously a little harder to navigate put still fine. Overall I actually prefer this and even thought about starting over lol.

This game will be a huge success on consoles.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Controller mode is legit excellent. Almost feels like a different game, more direct and immersive. Crazy how much extra effort the put into the UI. Combat and inventory management is obviously a little harder to navigate put still fine. Overall I actually prefer this and even thought about starting over lol.

This game will be a huge success on consoles.

How is it in terms of camera control? If there's a thing that needs some work is that. I feel like I spend a lot of time adjusting the camera during gameplay and it feels a bit tiresome.

mxbison

How is it in terms of camera control? If there's a thing that needs some work is that. I feel like I spend a lot of time adjusting the camera during gameplay and it feels a bit tiresome.

That is what made me try controller mode in the first place.

It's pretty much like a standard third person console game. You control your character with the left stick, the camera follows automatically and you can rotate/zoom it with the right stick.

In combat you can hold the stick down to enter tactical view.

Top Bottom