• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

jason10mm

Gold Member
Anyone else been rolling dice in their dreams for over a week now?

Even if I only play for an hour or so after work, game just has its hooks in me completely.
They TOTALLY need to partner with one of those Bluetooth dice makers so you can roll dice for real and the result ports into the game. I'm sure those dice are smart enough to realize when you are cheating :people

And I can't be the only dwarf/halfling/gnome/shortie kink player that was disappointed there isn't a "romance Sazza the goblin babe" path :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
should I be doing this with all my companions?
Why? Minmaxing doesnt really matter here, I think, you would just be adding a ton of paperwork as to who can do what and conversations would suuuuck unless you created some sort of charismatic talker god who was useless in combat (Volo??? :p

Personally I just roll with it. There are soooo many magic items, I'm not suffering for lack of 17-18 ability scores. Plus you can boost them via feats.

DanEON

Why? Minmaxing doesnt really matter here, I think, you would just be adding a ton of paperwork as to who can do what and conversations would suuuuck unless you created some sort of charismatic talker god who was useless in combat (Volo??? :p

Personally I just roll with it. There are soooo many magic items, I'm not suffering for lack of 17-18 ability scores. Plus you can boost them via feats.
To have a more efficient team for combat. I am playing on tactician.
I have Wyll as my out of combat character :messenger_beaming:

G-DannY

4/5, and some typical whining in the review, from the desperately edgy Eurogamer.

https://www.eurogamer.net/baldurs-gate-3-a-critical-success-with-critical-failures

They hand out 5/5's like confetti when it's one of their woke mate indy devs. And all their games are better than this is what they're saying.

That place is a joke and I hope they go out of fucking business when the clowns who actually pay them monthly to read such shit wake up.
you cannot deny there are lots of bugs

4/5, and some typical whining in the review, from the desperately edgy Eurogamer.

https://www.eurogamer.net/baldurs-gate-3-a-critical-success-with-critical-failures

They hand out 5/5's like confetti when it's one of their woke mate indy devs. And all their games are better than this is what they're saying.

That place is a joke and I hope they go out of fucking business when the clowns who actually pay them monthly to read such shit wake up.
It ain’t that serious. Almost every opencritic review from them is by a different author, they aren’t a monolith.

It’s a bit funny to see Dave the Diver and Pikmin 4 at 5/5 and something as massive an accomplishment as BG3 with a 4/5. But different reviewers, criteria, etc. who really cares in the end?

you cannot deny there are lots of bugs
Every other review is wrong and they're right?

That's like lunatics who honestly believe the rest of the world is mad and they're sane.

We all know why they've done it, they think different=clever, and the fools who they're grifting out of cash every month believe that too. Cult of Eurogamer is a thing.

Anyway, their outlier from their 'they/them' contributor (not even a staff member) won't tilt the score average in the end, even if it does get them a few more clicks.

Last edited:

UnrealEck

I'm liking the game so far. About 90 hours into it and only just into Act 3.

But I can't shake the feeling that it doesn't seem like a BG game. I'm not sure if it's just the engine being the same as DOS2 that's doing it. The original game from memory was a darker and more adult game. I'm thinking it's just because I remember that game when I was a lot younger and it seemed like a game for adults due to it's box art, story and complex DND rules (or so it seemed on the surface).
I get BG3 has nudity, gore, swearing etc and those are mature themes.

I think the soundtrack is styled quite a bit different in BG1 vs BG3 as well. Maybe I just wish for more of a nostalgia hit from BG3.

Guilty_AI

The original game from memory was a darker and more adult game. I'm thinking it's just because I remember that game when I was a lot younger and it seemed like a game for adults due to it's box art, story and complex DND rules (or so it seemed on the surface).
Definitely just a memory

Doom85

should I be doing this with all my companions?

As Jason said, this is generally only if you want to be as efficient in combat as possible. If you’re doing well enough in combat, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Generally just make sure your class’ primary attack/support stat is good, and don’t put Con in a negative modifier (as your HP will likely get way too low over time if you do).

calistan

Man alive, the accidental damage that turns friendly characters "temporarily" hostile is complete and utter bullshit. Happened to me once before, but this one just now is going to require some major cooling off time.

Early in act 2, I saved a bunch of people in an epic battle, and rather than return to camp I followed a prompt to talk to somebody nearby to resolve an earlier quest. Fine, he's standing right there in a barn.

So I talk to him, the quest updates, pretty cool. Then on the way out my perception uncovers a monster that was hiding in the form of a farm animal. I'm out of spells but it should be an easy fight against one enemy, so I cast a fire cantrip...

This sets part of the barn floor on fire, and the flame clips through a wall. The animals turn hostile. The quest giver turns hostile and attacks me, despite being a non-combatant with only 8 health. Forget that I just saved their lives, half the fucking settlement outside turns hostile. What the actual? My last save is an hour old, from before the big fight. Alt+F4. See you tomorrow.

G-DannY

Every other review is wrong and they're right?
every other review is right and they are right.

game is the greatest in ages, though it's full of bugs (some even softlocking or game/breaking) but considering the scale it's kinda a minor issue, though still an issue.

Last edited:

Boneless

I know this is a tough one but for a newbie to the genre like me: Diablo IV or Baldurs Gate 3?

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Never playable any series before. Let's just say I got interested in both and the main difference I spot when looking at them is that Diablo IV seems more action focused?

Lately, I'm a bit bored with video games so I guess I'm willing to try new genres and games that need more thinking, have better conversation/dialogue and offer more freedom to make your own path.

D4 is a poor game leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Man alive, the accidental damage that turns friendly characters "temporarily" hostile is complete and utter bullshit. Happened to me once before, but this one just now is going to require some major cooling off time.

Early in act 2, I saved a bunch of people in an epic battle, and rather than return to camp I followed a prompt to talk to somebody nearby to resolve an earlier quest. Fine, he's standing right there in a barn.

So I talk to him, the quest updates, pretty cool. Then on the way out my perception uncovers a monster that was hiding in the form of a farm animal. I'm out of spells but it should be an easy fight against one enemy, so I cast a fire cantrip...

This sets part of the barn floor on fire, and the flame clips through a wall. The animals turn hostile. The quest giver turns hostile and attacks me, despite being a non-combatant with only 8 health. Forget that I just saved their lives, half the fucking settlement outside turns hostile. What the actual? My last save is an hour old, from before the big fight. Alt+F4. See you tomorrow.
I found a "non-lethal attack" option if you fight with a bare fist, maybe with melee as well. Anyone have any luck just beating the snot out of "temporarily hostile" folks and it working out ok when everyone wakes up with a bad headache?

calistan

I found a "non-lethal attack" option if you fight with a bare fist, maybe with melee as well. Anyone have any luck just beating the snot out of "temporarily hostile" folks and it working out ok when everyone wakes up with a bad headache?
You can knock people out, but I had red guys running across the map from way outside of my zone of influence. Cows attacking me in the barn, friendlies with high health converging to attack me.

All because fire spreads through walls and one single cow got afflicted with the burn status. It didn't even lose any health.

Fuz

Banned

It's sadly woke AF, right from character creation.

Darn it, I am at the very beginning of Act III (just got the achievement pop for finishing Act II), and the game has crashed 3 times in a row. Sent Larian a crash report each time. I verified the game install the last time and it still crashed. I know there was an update today, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Going to switch from DX to Vulkan and see if it works. Posting this in case anyone else has ideas or is having a similar issue.

Update: Not sure if switching to Vulkan was the reason, but I'm able to progress now.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

200 hours and still the first act, how is this possible? I on the normal difficulty level finished the game in 50 hours, and yes, I admit there is probably content for another 30 hours or more. But 200 and still not finished the first act? That's hard to believe.

ebevan91

200 hours and still the first act, how is this possible? I on the normal difficulty level finished the game in 50 hours, and yes, I admit there is probably content for another 30 hours or more. But 200 and still not finished the first act? That's hard to believe.

I did everything I possibly could in one playthrough for act 1 and it only took me 35 hours. I'm on act 2 now. I don't see how someone could've played that long on act 1.

Mozzarella

Anybody knows how can i get a reliable create water spell? i have one on my staff and i can cast it every time i make a short rest so like 3 times each day.
I want a spell with a spell slot so that i can cast it more.

Create water glyphs of lighting/lighting bolt makes for a great boom lighting burst, basically i love using water spells.

Guilty_AI

Anybody knows how can i get a reliable create water spell? i have one on my staff and i can cast it every time i make a short rest so like 3 times each day.

Create water glyphs of lighting/lighting bolt makes for a great boom lighting burst, basically i love using water spells.
Not sure if it works for what you need, but i often collect water bottles that i can throw at surfaces to clean them.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

My druid has create water. There aren't any "water spells" beyond that, there's ice but I assume they do jack against fire.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

I think Shadowheart has access to it if you have her on the squad

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Something like this happened to me with Bullette and my Paladin

Paladin is OP. I have a party but nobody comes close to this in dmg.

UnrealEck

The annoying parts of BG3 for me are:

Karlach's cringey dialogue.
Lae'Zel's insufferable aggressive dialogue where she's always angry and yelling.
The Gith queen's dialogue. Same as above, though yells even louder.
The romance is half-arsed and so blatantly obvious it all comes at once from every angle and they're all bisexual.
Some of the the NPCs are cringe - examples - The drag queen and a barmaid that looks like a man but is voiced by a woman (this just looked like a model error to me)
Also some NPCs are just there to fill an identity quota (the lesbian angel and other woman I've already forgotten) couple for example.​
Removing race stats.

Last edited:

Macattk15

What the fuck is going on with saves?

It rolled me back to a 12 hour ago save ....

edit : Just read about the hotfix problems .... that's a really shitty way to do save systems.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What the fuck is going on with saves?

It rolled me back to a 12 hour ago save ....

edit : Just read about the hotfix problems .... that's a really shitty way to do save systems.

Yeah if people are finding they're being rolled back to earlier saves, you need to wait until they re-publish Hotfix 4, probably today. Got worried I'd lost an entire night's progress for a moment there.

AV

Even more ace. Some of the user content coming out for BG3 is great. Only act 1 stuff here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Even more ace. Some of the user content coming out for BG3 is great. Only act 1 stuff here.

Hang on, I can make 4 player characters of my own and not use ANY of the stock ones, thus skipping 90% of the drama? Or is that some sort of hack?

Me: killed every single Dwarf in Grymforge, promised the gnomes to help their friend in Moonlight Tower
The quest log: YoU LeT tHe DuErGaR KeEp ThEiR GnOmE sLaVeS hurrrdurrr
???

The way the game reacts to your actions is... weird.

AV

Hang on, I can make 4 player characters of my own and not use ANY of the stock ones, thus skipping 90% of the drama? Or is that some sort of hack?

I think that guy was playing with friends but I'm pretty sure there's a workaround you can do that involves loading 4 clients for a "multiplayer" game, creating a cloud save then loading that into single player.

I have no idea why you'd skip the companions though if you're playing single-player, some are a massive, important chunk of the story in a game with an exceptional story.

Guilty_AI

I have no idea why you'd skip the companions though if you're playing single-player, some are a massive, important chunk of the story in a game with an exceptional story.
To do stuff like this

ladies-and-gentleman-i-give-you-kith-v0-5fw6l264v4ib1.png

Its a great way to ignore most of the drama and play the game mostly as a sandbox if you want to.

Alex11

So, has anybody come across this bug?, or I think it's a bug, whatever. I quicksaved after disarming a trap, then when I quickload that save, the trap sets off and of course I take damage and every time I quickload that save it always sets off and always take a bit more of hp.

AV

To do stuff like this

ladies-and-gentleman-i-give-you-kith-v0-5fw6l264v4ib1.png

Its a great way to ignore most of the drama and play the game mostly as a sandbox if you want to.

Aye, I guess. Just find playing a D&D game to intentionally ignore half the plot weird but each to their own.

amigastar

I decided to kill Lady Esther when i bring back her the Githyanki Egg and take all her stuff but then she said we should visit her in Baldurs Gate City so i didn't. Well played Larian.

Top Bottom