• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Guilty_AI

Where do people find that many black powder barrels?
I had a few from the Zhentarim basement (but could only pick them up because I fucked up the missing shipment quest and had to kill them, otherwise there's no way to get the barrels without being seen) and used most of those to blow up the hobgoblin chief in the goblin fortress, after that I was free to get the ones in the room next to Priestess Gut's (otherwise it would, again, be impossible to get them without being seen, even if you're friendly with them). But I haven't found as many as shown in this video in total...
They literally collect every single barrel available in act 1.

GymWolf

Gold Member
In the end i decided for an half elf druid.

Controller support seems nice, but i only had a brief experience with a brain pokemon for now...

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
The city itself is a game within a game. Just amazing how they kept the consistent quality through the entire game, and bugs so far have been mild. Considering the scope the fact it has this few bugs is a great milestone.

Whatever Larian does next I am sure they are nervous, the expectations are going to be at Half Life 3 levels.

I feel like I'm not very good at this game. But I'm having fun.
Had this battle where My group had to retreat inside a cave back to the secret entrance where we came from. Enemy archers just positioned themlseves right above the secret entrance waiting for us to show up.
So we sneaked back to the other entrance and surprised them.

Guilty_AI

I feel like I'm not very good at this game. But I'm having fun.
Had this battle where My group had to retreat inside a cave back to the secret entrance where we came from. Enemy archers just positioned themlseves right above the secret entrance waiting for us to show up.
So we sneaked back to the other entrance and surprised them.
Nah, thats perfectly valid play. As is filling a bag with explosives and throwing it at an enemy.

Couple of questions for a possible buyer....

Is this still a good game/experience if played FULLY solo??

Also what games are similar on console (if any) as I'm tempted to get this on ps5 but not sure if it's my type of game.
I don't own a gaming PC

calistan

Once again I've fallen foul of friendlies suddenly turning hostile because they've been damaged by something my party did earlier. It's so ridiculous.

This time I was following a group of NPCs from the inn to ambush some cultists led by a big spider dude. I kill the enemies, and after the battle the friendlies decide to regroup in the middle of a 'dark tentacles' spell I'd cast on the ground several turns earlier. They just stand in it until one of them fails a saving throw, then they all turn hostile. This is starting to piss me off, it's needlessly difficult to fight anywhere near allies.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Once again I've fallen foul of friendlies suddenly turning hostile because they've been damaged by something my party did earlier. It's so ridiculous.

This time I was following a group of NPCs from the inn to ambush some cultists led by a big spider dude. I kill the enemies, and after the battle the friendlies decide to regroup in the middle of a 'dark tentacles' spell I'd cast on the ground several turns earlier. They just stand in it until one of them fails a saving throw, then they all turn hostile. This is starting to piss me off, it's needlessly difficult to fight anywhere near allies.
7DJW4ll.jpg

Guilty_AI

I mean, i'd be angry too if some 4-people group i've never seen before started hurting me and my people with weird tentacle spells.

On a more serious note, do pay attention to the colors they're represented. To be really considered a friendly the outline of the character needs to be green. If they're yellow, that means they're not friendly but neutral, don't necessarily consider you an ally, and will turn hostile at small signs of agression, possibly even attack you themselves.

calistan

I mean, i'd be angry too if some 4-people group i've never seen before started hurting me and my people with weird tentacle spells.

On a more serious note, do pay attention to the colors they're represented. To be really considered a friendly the outline of the character needs to be green. If they're yellow, that means they're not friendly but neutral, don't necessarily consider you an ally, and will turn hostile at small signs of agression, possibly even attack you themselves.
These guys were definitely green. Here's a picture of them at the ambush site - three on this level, a couple more on the roof. Not only do they know and trust me, I had previously saved their lives.

The battle played out, were were triumphant, XP was awarded and the victory music played. Then they walk dumbly across a massively obvious patch of tentacles and turn hostile, forcing me to either kill them and ruin the quest or reload. Verily, tis some feculent shenanigans.

EluVcBY.jpg

Guilty_AI

These guys were definitely green. Here's a picture of them at the ambush site - three on this level, a couple more on the roof. Not only do they know and trust me, I had previously saved their lives.

The battle played out, were were triumphant, XP was awarded and the victory music played. Then they walk dumbly across a massively obvious patch of tentacles and turn hostile, forcing me to either kill them and ruin the quest or reload. Verily, tis some feculent shenanigans.

EluVcBY.jpg
oh well

7DJW4ll.jpg

Fellas, I'm running into trouble in Act III. I'm at the point in the story where
Lord Gortasch has it out for me, and I'm trying to get to the Iron Throne to save some people to hopefully then shut down the Steel Watch

But all the Steel Watchers and their goons on patrol in the city aggro on me now. So every block or so, I'm in a routine battle I can easily win. Normally, I'm in for some grind, but I've already maxed out at Level 12, so it really feels like wasted time. Anybody know if I did something to where the rest of the game will remain like this, or, once I take care of the stuff in the spoilers, will I be able to move more freely in the city?

T4keD0wN

Fellas, I'm running into trouble in Act III. I'm at the point in the story where
Lord Gortasch has it out for me, and I'm trying to get to the Iron Throne to save some people to hopefully then shut down the Steel Watch

But all the Steel Watchers and their goons on patrol in the city aggro on me now. So every block or so, I'm in a routine battle I can easily win. Normally, I'm in for some grind, but I've already maxed out at Level 12, so it really feels like wasted time. Anybody know if I did something to where the rest of the game will remain like this, or, once I take care of the stuff in the spoilers, will I be able to move more freely in the city?
I think you will have to "complete" the steel watch foundry to stop the watchers and then also deal with gortash in wyrms rock where you will still get attacked on sight. That made it stop for me.

Last edited:
*Repost from the review thread*

Art in this game is just insane, every time I discover a new place I'm in awe

1086940_20230809195710_1.png
1086940_20230810180800_1.png
1086940_20230812175615_1.png
20230810012034_1.jpg
1086940_20230816025356_1.png
1086940_20230816025344_1.png
1086940_20230809234931_1.png
1086940_20230819185422_1.png
1086940_20230819032137_1.png
1086940_20230811171517_1.png
Well it sure looks better than it does on my computer...
Didn't know you could activate the device on top of the monastery though

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Well it sure looks better than it does on my computer...
Didn't know you could activate the device on top of the monastery though
Yeah you can

It's to get a legendary weapon, and the moment you touch it it activates this device which blows up the monastery and everyone inside. You have 3 turns to reach an exit 😨

1086940_20230816030327_1.png
1086940_20230816174531_1.png
1086940_20230816030335_1.png

Macattk15

Yeah you can

It's to get a legendary weapon, and the moment you touch it it activates this device which blows up the monastery and everyone inside. You have 3 turns to reach an exit 😨

1086940_20230816030327_1.png
1086940_20230816174531_1.png
1086940_20230816030335_1.png
Ah ok I think I got that legendary safely so that thing never turned on.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What you look like, what you sound like and gender are all separate things...brilliant.

LE51x1k.jpg

Non-binary identity, lol... okay. I was already on the fence given the absolutely braindead 5e rules this is based on--instead of the grown-up-ad&d 2e rules used by the original game--but pandering to gender identity is enough to make my decision against it.

I understand that fantasy isn't exactly meant as a realistic medieval-era world, but nor is it at all congruent with the literary roots and inspirations of DND to turn it into something like this. WOTC is the worst thing to happen to D&D, they've gradually turned something brilliant into generic geek trash.

Non-binary identity, lol... okay. I was already on the fence given the absolutely braindead 5e rules this is based on--instead of the grown-up-ad&d 2e rules used by the original game--but pandering to gender identity is enough to make my decision against it.

I understand that fantasy isn't exactly meant as a realistic medieval-era world, but nor is it at all congruent with the literary roots and inspirations of DND to turn it into something like this. WOTC is the worst thing to happen to D&D, they've gradually turned something brilliant into generic geek trash.

It's a non issue snowflake

FireFly

EluVcBY.jpg
You can turn off spells after the battle finishes by clicking on the X on their icon. This should prevent friendly fire issues.

If a single option in the character creator that has no impact on the game itself is too much, then yes, maybe this isn't the game for you.

xX4thmanXx

Neo Member
I'm writing here as someone who doesnt play heavy RPGs and I havent gotten into Dungeons and Dragons. Seems very detailed and overwhelming. RPGs Ive played have been Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, the South Parks (yes I know their super basic) and I've now spent over 200 hours on ToTK. I would love to sink my teeth into a good one and Baldur's Gate seems like one to try but Im worried I wont enjoy it because it'll be way too much of an info dump of character and story and the whole dice rolling to make moves seems to go over my head.
So my question here is.....would Baldur's Gate be accommodating to a total newb in this environment as in help walking us through it to learn the gameplay? Or should I just leave well enough alone? Dont mind honest answers like telling me its not for me or whatever. Just seems like a grand adventure from what Ive seen of it. Thanks in advance

geary

I'm writing here as someone who doesnt play heavy RPGs and I havent gotten into Dungeons and Dragons. Seems very detailed and overwhelming. RPGs Ive played have been Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, the South Parks (yes I know their super basic) and I've now spent over 200 hours on ToTK. I would love to sink my teeth into a good one and Baldur's Gate seems like one to try but Im worried I wont enjoy it because it'll be way too much of an info dump of character and story and the whole dice rolling to make moves seems to go over my head.
So my question here is.....would Baldur's Gate be accommodating to a total newb in this environment as in help walking us through it to learn the gameplay? Or should I just leave well enough alone? Dont mind honest answers like telling me its not for me or whatever. Just seems like a grand adventure from what Ive seen of it. Thanks in advance
Its one of the most entry-level, user friendly game to enter in the CRPG genre. The presentation of the game make wonder for new people to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

There is a learning curve, but amongst the "hardcore" rpgs this is probably the most beginner friendly out there.

The plot is fairly straightforward and doesn't involve any old-time legends or anything of the sort. You have a weird-worm in your head doing things to you and you must get it out. Everything else regarding plots and characters is just slowly drip-fed to you. I knew absolutely nothing about DnD or forgotten realms lore and yet find myself having a much easier time following this than i did The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.

As for the mechanics, its probably the most intimidating part for any newcomer, however i think the game does a good job starting things slowly to get players used to everything, and even gives us an inspect button that describes effects of abilities to terms people might not be familiar with like "armor class".
However, there is still a learning curve. You won't be playing amazingly from the start, perhaps not even 10 hours in, but you'll be managing it.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If a single option in the character creator that has no impact on the game itself is too much, then yes, maybe this isn't the game for you.

To be fair, this pandering fluid-sexuality worldview certainly does have a heavy impact on the game, and I'm seeing plenty of players quote examples. One from this very thread:

The way they handled romance in general is one of the few things I don't like about the game.
It's not enjoyable to feel like you are traveling with a group of sex pests who keep hitting on you and taking any attempt to be kind toward them as an endorsement to flirting.
What's worse, is that they are also rather pushy about it and they generally don't take rejection well.

I feel like except for out-of-the ordinary story-relevant reasons the relationship with companions should always default into friendship/camaraderie/trust unless the player is actively chasing romantic involvement.

Expand for more if you want the full details, which is probably the most honest review I've seen of how this game mangles camaraderie and party interactions by putting a sexual question mark over every relationship:

Not to mention I think something must be bugged, because at some point for instance I had Gale (which I never had any flirty interaction whatsoever, not even the notorious "magic lesson" others talked so much about) coming out of nowhere with what was basically a "Stop two-timing. It's time for you to decide: it's going to be me or Shadowheart??" to which I wish I had the option to answer "WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?", but what I was offered instead were just two options to keep him around ("I love you" or "I love you both and I can't choose") and something like "It's over between us".

After the rejection, at some point I found myself invited to meet him under a starry sky. I suspected where this was going, but I complied.
He lured me in some sort of picnic spot, where my character sit on his side (with some of the most effeminate body language I've seen in a while, in a way that was unintentionally funny for a barbarian half-orc, incidentally) and when it came to the point I was left basically with the options of making out with him (sorry, not my cup of tea even as a videogame fantasy, REALLY) or telling him the equivalent of "Fuck off, Gale, I'm outta here"... To which he responded with extreme disappointment (and Approval loss,of course... -5, I checked) and the scene ended abruptly.

It's not really tasteful.

That is exactly what I'd expect from a game with gender identity options; the two halves of this equation fit together every time.

When you adopt the 2020-extremely-online version of human sexuality, you commit to a blurring of adult lines. Forming a genuine bond of fraternity with your male party members is the ordinary adult behavior that you should expect in a game of war and tactics, but romantic affiliation has no purchase there, because adults know that there are different categories of human relationships and love. To even have random male party members start turning overtures of deep loyalty into romantic options and invitations is to pervert and infantilize the very possibility of an adventuring party of mature adults.

To translate every closeness into a cheeky "might be flirting" pansexuality is a gross and childish distortion of the kind of mature world they want to portray. It's impossible to build the kind of relationships and stories that original D&D was written to curate if you write in this manner.

xX4thmanXx

Neo Member
There is a learning curve, but amongst the "hardcore" rpgs this is probably the most beginner friendly out there.

The plot is fairly straightforward and doesn't involve any old-time legends or anything of the sort. You have a weird-worm in your head doing things to you and you must get it out. Everything else regarding plots and characters is just slowly drip-fed to you. I knew absolutely nothing about DnD or forgotten realms lore and yet find myself having a much easier time following this than i did The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.

As for the mechanics, its probably the most intimidating part for any newcomer, however i think the game does a good job starting things slowly to get players used to everything, and even gives us an inspect button that describes effects of abilities to terms people might not be familiar with like "armor class".
However, there is still a learning curve. You won't be playing amazingly from the start, perhaps not even 10 hours in, but you'll be managing it.
Thanks for the response. It is reassuring that even the hardcore see this as a sort of a decent entry level crpg, and not one that would appeal to only the hardcore. Since I wont be getting Starfield coz I dont have an Xbox, this may be the one to be on for a while. I like to do short bursts of quests in the week and the spend a few hours late at night on Fridays once the family goes to bed. Thanks mate

Guilty_AI

To be fair, this pandering fluid-sexuality worldview certainly does have a heavy impact on the game, and I'm seeing plenty of players quote examples. One from this very thread:

Expand for more if you want the full details, which is probably the most honest review I've seen of how this game mangles camaraderie and party interactions by putting a sexual question mark over every relationship:

That is exactly what I'd expect from a game with gender identity options; the two halves of this equation fit together every time.

When you adopt the 2020-extremely-online version of human sexuality, you commit to a blurring of adult lines. Forming a genuine bond of fraternity with your male party members is the ordinary adult behavior that you should expect in a game of war and tactics, but romantic affiliation has no purchase there, because adults know that there are different categories of human relationships and love. To even have random male party members start turning overtures of deep loyalty into romantic options and invitations is to pervert and infantilize the very possibility of an adventuring party of mature adults.

To translate every closeness into a cheeky "might be flirting" pansexuality is a gross and childish distortion of the kind of mature world they want to portray. It's impossible to build the kind of relationships and stories that original D&D was written to curate if you write in this manner.
I keep reading about companions being horny, yet no one has made any agressive move towards Joseh.

QGpiPDq.jpg

WHY!?!?! He is the epitome of beauty and masculinity! Why no one loves him!?

amigastar

Currently 38 hours in and haven't got one encounter i couldn't beat on Normal difficulty.
It was close sometimes but i'm so glad this game doesn't have enemy level scaling like Diablo 4.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

How is that pandering? Its a game in fantasy where you can create a character, why the fuck would they not have different genders, when we do right now in real life?

So its going to dragons and elves and dwarves and shit ohhhhhh but it won't have anything regarding gender? How? That would make zero sense and if anything thats closer to pandering to some idea against it, then arguing something pro for it.

This is merely arguing that in that universe, that exist just like it exist in our universe. Thats like saying you can make a black character and that muuuussssst be "pandering" as if what? Black people don't exist in real life or? Are you sure they are not including it to actually make fucking sense on how our world currently is match their universe?

If that is a big enough deal for you to not play this epic masterpiece, its truly your loss.

You don't need to fucking make a character that has any of those attributes btw.

To even have random male party members start turning overtures of deep loyalty into romantic options and invitations is to pervert and infantilize the very possibility of an adventuring party of mature adults.
Well....that happens in real life, that literally is a thing...... Fuck you telling me, "mature adults" don't have sex? Like ever? No one is gay or? lol You legit have to be living in a bubble, you might want to read up on all of that in real life before making it sound like this unrealistic idea lol
It's impossible to build the kind of relationships and stories that original D&D was written to curate if you write in this manner.

Nah, I disagree, this continues those ideas in a more realistic way, I've had no issue with the game thus far and love all those complexities as that is what real life is literally like.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
How is that pandering? Its a game in fantasy where you can create a character, why the fuck would they not have different genders, when we do right now in real life?
We can stop here because the conversation could derail the thread... but the appropriate option for the game is 2 sexes. "Genders" as some sort of free-floating identity that can live beyond or even in contradiction to the only reality of your sexed body is a niche and extremely recent ideological invention which would be regarded by all prior eras and corners of human existence as impossibly illogical, to the point of being a totally incoherent concept. To make the fantasy word follow this little sinking island of recent identity inventions makes the whole thing simply comical.

Denton

Tim Cain talked about disliking romances in RPGs in one of his recent videos, for the reason that no matter how you do it, someone will always be pissed off. He was right :p

I got the Gale's "choose between me or shadowheart" scene too, which was completely bizzare out of the blue, and then sat with him under the aurora borealis, but I think that one was just friendly, I didn't have to tell him to fuck off and afaik there is no more romance with him.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Tim Cain talked about disliking romances in RPGs in one of his recent videos, for the reason that no matter how you do it, someone will always be pissed off. He was right :p

I got the Gale's "choose between me or shadowheart" scene too, which was completely bizzare out of the blue, and then sat with him under the aurora borealis, but I think that one was just friendly, I didn't have to tell him to fuck off and afaik there is no more romance with him.
I got rejected by Astarion. I wasn't even flirting with him. Didn't bother me since it was a very Astarion-like thing to do.

EDMIX

the appropriate option for the game is 2 sexes. "Genders" as some sort of free-floating identity that can live beyond or even in contradiction to the only reality of your sexed body is a niche and extremely recent ideological invention

Yea, sooooo thats actually not true at all.

Many cultures for hundreds of years believed and understood multiple genders. India, Thailand, Rome etc

None of what you are talking about is anything "recent". It merely sounds like YOU yourself have not heard of this, thus think its some new fucking idea, its not.

calistan

To even have random male party members start turning overtures of deep loyalty into romantic options and invitations is to pervert and infantilize the very possibility of an adventuring party of mature adults.
You can just kill him if he breaks the adventurer code and comes on to you. Take him out into the woods, just the two of you, then waste him. Nobody will ever know, you can say goblins did it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Many cultures for hundreds of years believed and understood multiple genders. India, Thailand, Rome etc
Absolutely false. This claim itself is an ideological imposition on the past. I'm sorry, but people from prior era did not think in the terms that we do.

It would take a thread to hash out. But each of these cases is completely misrepresented by activists in order to create a fictional history where "trans" was always an undercurrent. Take Thailand for example; the "third sex" here is simply pedophilic abuse of boys in a rampantly abusive system of exploitation (essentially catamites, same as the Greeks... and not something you want to endorse), the same system that made Thailand a major destination for trafficking and horrific prostitution for centuries. Rebranding these as a third gender to align with certain novel Western ideas is a doubly cruel trick.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Absolutely false.

You literally had a Roman Emperor that slept with both women and men and stated the wanted to be a Lady, they went as far as to seek a physician that could give them a vagina.

I don't know what the fuck to tell you man, this is new to you....thats it. This idea isn't brand new to humanity, its merely you forcing some idea that because its NEW TO YOU that it MUST be connected to some pandering it.

I don't see anything to prove any of that shit.

many genders literally is a thing cultures have believed for hundreds if not thousands of years.

I don't see anything here where anyone should be upset that a video game has them.
You don't need to play this fucking game, you don't NEED to have a character that is gay, bi etc and this game pandering to such a thing is like saying its pandering to elves or its pandering to dragons, pesky Dragon Agendas, when will they learn! lol

We have to block you here man, this was an easy google that you could have done to learn this isn't a new idea.

Guilty_AI

Yea, sooooo thats actually not true at all.

None of what you are talking about is anything "recent". It merely sounds like YOU yourself have not heard of this, thus think its some new fucking idea, its not.
eh, i understand in principle but the way some modern progressive segments of our culture deals with these ideas is really bad. Sometimes its treated as a "social construct" that determine one's "role in society" and has nothing to do with the body, other times they treat as if genitals matter and you must change your body to "fit the gender". Often the tune changes to whatever is most covenient at the time. The way they try to mix the whole thing with gender dysphoria or chromosome/hormone disorders is also quite terrible, which actually can cause real world harm.

In the game, you can literally be turned into a cheese wheel, so a potion that gives someone a mangina doesn't sound too far-fetched, so it doesn't bother me.

EDMIX

eh, i understand in principle but the way some modern progressive segments of our culture deals with these ideas is really bad. Sometimes its treated as a "social construct" that determine one's "role in society" and has nothing to do with the body, other times they treat as if genitals matter and you must change your body to "fit the gender". Often the tune changes to whatever is most covenient at the time. The way they try to mix the whole thing with gender dysphoria or chromosome/hormone disorders is also quite terrible, which actually can cause real world harm.

In the game, you can literally be turned into a cheese wheel, so a potion that gives someone a mangina doesn't sound too far-fetched, so it doesn't bother me.

I actually agree.

Its why I like that the game allows you to customize all those parts, from voice to different genitals and doesn't really lock them in to 1 type of thing. So you basically have mix and match and make really anything up to fit the character you are creating.

I think it can be all of the above, it can be a social thing, it can be with the body etc.

I think what they've done with this game, The Sims 5 should 10000% do. Its literally a game about people and it would make complete sense to have this types of options. So I was really surprised when I saw how complex that create a character area was and was trying to make all sorts of people lol Sometimes you make a character in a game and it looks like the person you thought of, but doesn't sound or act like them etc

I was like "lets see, can I make a Michael Jackson"? lol

I have a good friend of mine who modeled for Vogue and has vitiligo, when she was on the set for some photoshoot, someone who also had vitiligo was hitting on her and she had to explain that she wasn't gay lol I thought of that whole story and was like "hmmmm could I make that person?" and holy shit, I could

I thought of a few celebrities like Ru Paul and it seems like you literally can make almost everyone, not just in look, but in identity of who they believe they are, what they sound like, what their sexuality is and what their genitals are.

This is an insane about of customization or maybe this is what customizing a character should have always been in such games in the first place.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly take every revisionist claim at face value; perhaps at least have a little more skepticism towards the very same forces that are actively pushing for castration of minors along multiple avenues.

You literally had a Roman Emperor that slept with both women and men and stated the wanted to be a Lady, they went as far as to seek a physician that could give them a vagina.

Do you really want to bring this one up? It's quite instructive if you look closely. This emperor was not some misunderstood non-binary individual, lol. He was well documented as deeply abusive sexually... he tossed each wife for another, even for the widow of a man he executed, and of course had essentially eunuch catamites--slaves, even--at his beckoning for abuse, lovely that this makes him a poster child for some historical fiction. He was actually reviled for his horrific excesses. Yet simply because he went down the familiar road of autogynephilia at some point and wanted to be castrated to fulfill a further fantasy, you want to align him to the current day. This is quite gross, morally and otherwise. And if you don't know what autogynephilia is, you'll probably misinterpret everything.

many genders literally is a thing cultures have believed for hundreds if not thousands of years.
Each is a gross misinterpretation, as already noted. For instance, activists love to claim that "2 souls" Native Americans were transgender, but the reality is that they were always understood as their real sex, there was no ambiguity; they simply were males (never women, never females in this group) who took the lower status of female roles in the culture. They are also non-existent in the vast historical documentation of almost all the tribes, and the ones that had this concept were deeply opposite of egalitarianism... which is why they had this status to cast men out of the group of men who didn't live up to the strictest gender roles. But no one mistook them for actual women.

calistan

For sure, it makes more sense in this game than it does in pretty much anything else I've played. It's full of elves and gnomes and weirdly sexy goblins (that may be just a me thing). If they put a gender slider in Call of Duty, then fine, rage on. But here I think it's appropriate, and the game is better for that.

EDMIX

For sure, it makes more sense in this game than it does in pretty much anything else I've played. It's full of elves and gnomes and weirdly sexy goblins (that may be just a me thing). If they put a gender slider in Call of Duty, then fine, rage on. But here I think it's appropriate, and the game is better for that.

I agree.

Its too much of a game about human behavior to not have humans behave the way.....well humans behave.

I don't really care what anyone's views are on such a thing in real life, if someone disagreed with this in real life from real people, it merely means they'd just disagree with them in a video game, it doesn't mean they don't belong in the video. Its like me saying how much I hate politicians and getting mad that their in a video game about some city or something.

Someone's differing view on it in real life, doesn't change that it exist in real life, thus would exist in art in such a universe. I love that this game is that fucking complex that all of those situations are on the table to explore and add to the story.

Any RPG where it has romance options and you create a character should have all of this tbh

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You may have blocked because you're not the best at handling critique of views invented just yesterday, but all the same let's address this last point since it's back to the real matter of gameplay, and we can leave the rest to the side:
Someone's differing view on it in real life, doesn't change that it exist in real life, thus would exist in art in such a universe. I love that this game is that fucking complex that all of those situations are on the table to explore and add to the story.
This is quite false: having fellow party members potentially sexualize your closeness to them does not open new avenues of storytelling. It shuts them down. You can't have certain types of human relationship--like powerful fraternal loyalty of soldiers who gives their lives readily for their comrades--without completely taking others off the table. With these "romance" options built into every interaction with a party NPC, it means that normal paths of mature human relationship along troop and respect lines are perverted and blocked off, because it will degrade into one of these silly flirtation scenes and ruin the entire axis of the kind of non-sexual affective loyalty you were building. This was always well understood until a recent generation sunk so much time into online porn that they don't grasp the difference anymore.

And that's not "complex" at all, it's childish. Check the loyalty rules in AD&D first edition (including discipline of troops, which means that leadership builds affect by a certain strictness of command with the right balance of respect... something this game could never grasp), if you want to see complex adult relationships written for people who aren't stuck in tumblrverse.

Last edited:

calistan

I agree.

Its too much of a game about human behavior to not have humans behave the way.....well humans behave.

I don't really care what anyone's views are on such a thing in real life, if someone disagreed with this in real life from real people, it merely means they'd just disagree with them in a video game, it doesn't mean they don't belong in the video. Its like me saying how much I hate politicians and getting mad that their in a video game about some city or something.

Any RPG where it has romance options and you create a character should have all of this tbh
Absolutely, it's not trying to foist anything on you. It's a massive game with a shitload of options for absolutely everything, and you can try it if you like, or just not go down that route and be none the wiser.

I'm a human male and I chose a female wood elf avatar - I don't think there are any deep psychological reasons why, but I'm loving the way the game responds to my choices. It's crazy, I bet if I had chosen a trannie orc or something like that, the dialogue would actually reflect that too.

There was something about the one organising the chicken chasing event at the goblin stronghold. I was like, I can appreciate you, stinking hole or otherwise. But then I had to kill her, so it was never going to amount to anything.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I still don't want to support the game's creators, particularly the born-yesterday types who wrote the childish romance paths, but for anyone wanting to give it a go, I found that there is a decent mod (on PC):

One of the many commenters who wanted this mod puts the problem well:
Everything in BG3 is on the player's terms, every character is horny and pansexual just so that each player gets to sleep with their favorite, every progression comes from you going "hm, maybe it's time to talk to X in camp and progress the relationship" as the companions are all waiting patiently for the player to come to them. It all combines into everyone feeling shallow, flat, homogenous and transparently just NPCs put in the game for the players's gratification.

In BG2 all the companions felt alive, distinct and had character. Their interactions with each other were consistently great, even Anomen was fun if you put him with all the evil and chaotic neutral characters because they all keep making fun of him. I could listen to BG2 NPCs bicker all day.

Having every positive reaction from characters build into a possible romance is such idiotically simplistic writing. Even if the mod thankfully kills that, you'll have these flat interactions where everyone's a pansexual puppet with open ended preferences and no distinct voice that drives their own course against your wishes. It's like this was written by people who have never been a DM; in fact, I guarantee it.

Guilty_AI

Having every positive reaction from characters build into a possible romance is such idiotically simplistic writing. Even if the mod thankfully kills that, you'll have these flat interactions where everyone's a pansexual puppet with open ended preferences and no distinct voice that drives their own course against your wishes. It's like this was written by people who have never been a DM; in fact, I guarantee it.
Eh, quite the opposite, if you just go along with what every character says in romance you may find yourself in unfavorable positions.

EDMIX

Absolutely, it's not trying to foist anything on you. It's a massive game with a shitload of options for absolutely everything, and you can try it if you like, or just not go down that route and be none the wiser.

I'm a human male and I chose a female wood elf avatar - I don't think there are any deep psychological reasons why, but I'm loving the way the game responds to my choices. It's crazy, I bet if I had chosen a trannie orc or something like that, the dialogue would actually reflect that too.

There was something about the one organising the chicken chasing event at the goblin stronghold. I was like, I can appreciate you, stinking hole or otherwise. But then I had to kill her, so it was never going to amount to anything.

Truth, I'm already planning a second build to see how different the options are. Right now, thus far, in my top 10 favorite RPGs of all time, I'll see how it stacks up once I've finished my playthrough.
Eh, quite the opposite, if you just go along with what every character says in romance you may find yourself in unfavorable positions.

Pretty much, but shit that is literally like what can happen in real life. I've had people hit on me were I needed to let them know I didn't bat for that team, I didn't play that sport, I wasn't in said ballpark, I've never really taken offense to such a thing mind you, if anything I'm flattered lol So why would it not happen in a game about humans? Keep in mind, such things happen regardless of sex, I've had men hit on me, I've had women hit on me, both times it was merely based on our interactions of them thinking my kindness was something else entirely.

So if that weird, unfavorable position exist in real life, shit thats awesome that a game does that too.

Humans can be unpredictable and I like the idea that the game shows this.

I feel some may not be smart enough to fully realize or understand any of that though...

We can't all get what we want out of life, even if we hunt for it, why should a game not reflect this?

QwG0qNN.jpg

ManaByte ManaByte lol you wild for this! yesssssssssssssssss

Last edited:
Top Bottom