• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

calistan

Eh, quite the opposite, if you just go along with what every character says in romance you may find yourself in unfavorable positions.
I've was basically forced into it by Lae'zel, because there was no better option at the time, and I thought I might as well try some weird lezbo warrior shit, but all sorts of grossness arose. My party may well never recover, but it's awesome to see all the strange things that can happen.

Who knows how far I am toward one of those 17,000 endings? I am definitely owning this playthrough, and it's definitely the best thing I've played in a very long time.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Any DM who tells a player “No, you can’t be a non-binary pansexual anthropomorphic rainbow unicorn” is a dick.
Lol. Frankly, DMing for today’s players would be a nightmare. D&D grew out of a mix of guys painting miniatures for intensely tactical tabletop historical battle simulation and Lord of the Rings nerds… but under WOTC it’s mostly rejects from drama class who want their terrible acting and characters as the centerpiece, no thanks.

Truth, I'm already planning a second build to see how different the options are. Right now, thus far, in my top 10 favorite RPGs of all time, I'll see how it stacks up once I've finished my playthrough.

Pretty much, but shit that is literally like what can happen in real life. I've had people hit on me were I needed to let them know I didn't bat for that team, I didn't play that sport, I wasn't in said ballpark, I've never really taken offense to such a thing mind you, if anything I'm flattered lol So why would it not happen in a game about humans? Keep in mind, such things happen regardless of sex, I've had men hit on me, I've had women hit on me, both times it was merely based on our interactions of them thinking my kindness was something else entirely.

So if that weird, unfavorable position exist in real life, shit thats awesome that a game does that too.

Humans can be unpredictable and I like the idea that the game shows this.

I feel some may not be smart enough to fully realize or understand any of that though...

We can't all get what we want out of life, even if we hunt for it, why should a game not reflect this?

QwG0qNN.jpg

ManaByte ManaByte lol you wild for this! yesssssssssssssssss
I can understand where people are coming from on this. From pretty close to the start I felt like all the other NPC party members were just waiting to hook up with me - at least based on the dialogue I was presented with (Gale, Astarian in his way), Shadowheart I don't remember being so strong, but I also went after her myself. Gale especially I thought I gave him negative signals and then I find myself off in some pasture with him and it just didn't feel like there was a neutral way out of it.

Tieno

My thoughts too. Despite the talk about turn-based being more 'hardcore' or less mainstream friendly when compared to real time, its actually much easier to learn and to get into. There are no barriers like needing good reflexes or good eye-to-hand coordination.
Good point, I agree. It's way more up front and transparant. The gameplay that depends too much on fast reflexes and eye-to-hand coordination isn't for me anymore the older I get. it's often way too adrenaline focused for my tastes. I don't want to get nervous/anxious, I want to be engaged in a story, and world. I'm glad I discovered this type of RPG game.

Fools idol

Banned
Tactician mode, the Grymforge boss fight is a pain in the ass. He has 450 hp and more firebat minions mid fight.

I ended up having to use spiderweb spell on him to keep him on the middle of the forge and using ranged attacks to bring the lava and hammer on his ass 3-4 times. Pretty fun, mind.

FireFly

To be fair, this pandering fluid-sexuality worldview certainly does have a heavy impact on the game, and I'm seeing plenty of players quote examples. One from this very thread:

Expand for more if you want the full details, which is probably the most honest review I've seen of how this game mangles camaraderie and party interactions by putting a sexual question mark over every relationship:
In my playthrough I also got the starry night scene with Gale but it was entirely platonic and a culmination of the events of Act 2 and their consequences for Gale's arc. Nowhere did Gale force himself on me, and neither have any of the other companions done the same after their initial interest. So far Lae'zel, Astarian and Gale have expressed romantic interest in me and Wyll, Shadowheart, Karlach, Halsin and Jaheira have not. I suspect there *is* a bug with the romance system that causes party members to continually proposition the player.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I was waiting for someone to show up and complain how the game is not 2e and it was better before all the casuals showed up. Glad to see I've not been disappointed.

Throw in some complaints about gender identity and the cliche writes itself.

In my playthrough I also got the starry night seen with Gale but it was entirely platonic and a culmination of the events of Act 2 and their consequences for Gale's arc. Nowhere did Gale force himself on me, and neither have any of the other companions done the same after their initial interest. So far Lae'zel, Astarian and Gale have expressed romantic interest in me and Wyll, Shadowheart, Karlach, Halsin and Jaheira have not. I suspect there *is* a bug with the romance system that causes party members to continually proposition the player.
Strangely I never got the Gale starry night cutscene but did get the "let's talk about last night" dialogue option the next day. I was like "eh? I don't remember that".

Irobot82

Tactician mode, the Grymforge boss fight is a pain in the ass. He has 450 hp and more firebat minions mid fight.

I ended up having to use spiderweb spell on him to keep him on the middle of the forge and using ranged attacks to bring the lava and hammer on his ass 3-4 times. Pretty fun, mind.
I didn't know there were mid fight minions.
Paladin's are OP.
I have Potion of Speed, and a
Mind Parasite ability that lets my first hit be crit
. So on a crit dump a huge divine smite, then hit 3 more times with level 2 diving smite or so and the boss is down in like 2 or 3 rounds?

Hugare

Just finished Auntie Ethel's quest

Felt like I was playig TW 3 for a moment. Felt straight out of that.

Great quest, and great ending.

PS: seems like I'll reunite with 90% of the side characters again at Baldurs Gate

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Need some advice. Struggling a bit with managing the hot bar and inventory. Seems I spend more time organizing and adjusting those two things then playing. Any tips or tricks to make this easier?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Need some advice. Strolling a bit with managing the hot bar and inventory. Seems I spend more time organizing and adjusting those two things then playing. Any tips or tricks to make this easier?
You can increase the size of the hot bar. Also for inventory management, use strength characters or send to camp for heavy stuff. Sell or send things you don’t need. Use auto sort.

T4keD0wN

I need to know: is there any key or key combination you can hold when picking up items that will mark them as wares? i hate having to right click and pick it in the drop down menu.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Need some advice. Struggling a bit with managing the hot bar and inventory. Seems I spend more time organizing and adjusting those two things then playing. Any tips or tricks to make this easier?

As above, also you can stop picking up everything that isn't nailed down after act 1 IMO. Once you've got your initial gear gold becomes far less valuable, I'm about to finish the game with like 14k spare.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I need to know: is there any key or key combination you can hold when picking up items that will mark them as wares? i hate having to right click and pick it in the drop down menu.

Don't think so, but you can shift + left click to select multiple things in a row in the inventory and right clicking will apply "send to wares" to all of those

GymWolf

Gold Member
I kinda hate that spells get consumed even outside of combat, like i have the create water to extinguish fires and explore but i can only use it like 2 times before a rest? fuck that...

Skifi28

I kinda hate that spells get consumed even outside of combat, like i have the create water to extinguish fires and explore but i can only use it like 2 times before a rest? fuck that...
That's probably the one aspect that doesn't translate very well from the tabletop to this game. It's so easy and cheap to rest, which just makes it pointless busywork. There should have been a bigger penalty/cost to resting so you'd have to plan your encounters around the mechanic. Otherwise just remove it and instead restrict the spellslots per fight or give me a 10 second rest button like neverwinter2.

I believe there's a mod that removes resting if it bothers you too much, but I can't link right now.

Guilty_AI

That's probably the one aspect that doesn't translate very well from the tabletop to this game. It's so easy and cheap to rest, which just makes it pointless busywork. There should have been a bigger penalty/cost to resting so you'd have to plan your encounters around the mechanic. Otherwise just remove it and instead restrict the spellslots per fight or give me a 10 second rest button like neverwinter2.

I believe there's a mod that removes resting if it bothers you too much, but I can't link right now.
Actually, long rests progress certain world events, i've seen this happening live where certain characters would move from one location to another, sometimes missing the opportunity to do certain things. So its fairly important to assess the moment you choose to long rest.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Actually, long rests progress certain world events, i've seen this happening live where certain characters would move from one location to another, sometimes missing the opportunity to do certain things. So its fairly important to assess the moment you choose to long rest.
This is the first time I hear about it and I don't believe I've had it happen yet, not to my knowledge at least. That's even worse though, randomly missing an event/quest without even knowing about it or making a conscious decision.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

This is the first time I hear about it and I don't believe I've had it happen yet, not to my knowledge at least. That's even worse though, randomly missing an event/quest without even knowing about it.
Usually only happens after certain triggers, rather than independent of your actions. For example i've saved some guys from gnolls and long resting after that made them go back to their dwelling (missing the opportunity to easily steal the "secret cargo" they were carrying). But before meeting them nothing really happened regardless of how much i long rested. I imagine if i long rested after seeing them in peril they'd be dead.

Last edited:

AV

This is the first time I hear about it and I don't believe I've had it happen yet, not to my knowledge at least. That's even worse though, randomly missing an event/quest without even knowing about it or making a conscious decision.

From what I gather it's mostly when a player begins an interaction like a quest or world event and doesn't see it through. Like discovering the owlbear cave by walking in, but then not resolving it and long resting, it'll resolve itself after a while.

ebevan91

This was one of the funniest things that has ever happened to me in a game:

I was fighting Ketheric Thorm on top of the Moonrise Towers and Wyll got YEETED off the tower by Thorm and it took forever for him to finally hit the ground, so I was short a person for the whole fight. He wasn't even standing that close to the edge. He just got shoved really far.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yep, that was my understanding, that's why it is annoying to rest to get the spells again, you feel trapped in a circle where you can fuck up things just because you want to recharge your damn spells.
I'm not gonna mod it out because the game is probably balanced this way, but it is fucking annoying during exploration.

Am I stupid for assuming that Baldur's Gate had always been Larian's baby?

I was shocked to learn that the first two games were made by Bioware. So they basically lobbied for the license of a two decade dormant IP, got it, and made this? Insane.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Usually only happens after certain triggers, rather than independent of your actions. For example i've saved some guys from gnolls and long resting after that made them go back to their dwelling (missing the opportunity to easily steal the "secret cargo" they were carrying). But before meeting them nothing really happened regardless of how much i long rested. I imagine if i long rested after seeing them in peril they'd be dead.
With the absurd number of quests and events, that is basically like what? 80% of the playtime?

It rarely happen that you don't have multiple open quests in your journal.

So the risk to fuck up is pretty much always there.

Like i sent the space pirate chick in the camp because my party is full and i have a mission with her (very early in the game) and she specifically said to not forget her in the camp or some shit, so even in the first 5 hours you already have this dilemma.

P.s. are the reaction actions automatized? like when an enemy try to move away from me and my pg smack his ass or do i have to leave them in a certain position before ending the turn? it happened to me with enemies because i wasn't aware of the disengage mechanic but i don't think it never happened with my pg (i only had like 5 fights so maybe no enemy ever tried to move away from me).

Last edited:

AV

P.s. are the reaction actions automatized? like when an enemy try to move away from me and my pg smack his ass or do i have to leave them in a certain position before ending the turn? it happened to me with enemies because i wasn't aware of the disengage mechanic but i don't think it never happened with my pg (i only had like 5 fights so maybe no enemy ever tried to move away from me).

Press K and go to the reactions tab, you get one reaction per turn that has a little pink icon. This can be the opportunity attack you described when people move away from you, or other stuff you unlock through the game. However some reactions DON'T use this resource, if you have the "lucky" feat for instance you'll choose whether or not to invoke that but it won't expend your reaction resource.

It's a good idea to turn on every reaction and also "ask" by ticking the boxes on the left and right of each reaction in the tab after pressing K. It just means you'll have every tool available but the game will always see if you want to perform it. That said, you probably don't want to be asked about ALL of them, like if you're playing a rogue you're probably gonna want to sneak attack every time you can.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Press K and go to the reactions tab, you get one reaction per turn that has a little pink icon. This can be the opportunity attack you described when people move away from you, or other stuff you unlock through the game. However some reactions DON'T use this resource, if you have the "lucky" feat for instance you'll choose whether or not to invoke that but it won't expend your reaction resource.

It's a good idea to turn on every reaction and also "ask" by ticking the boxes on the left and right of each reaction in the tab after pressing K. It just means you'll have every tool available but the game will always see if you want to perform it. That said, you probably don't want to be asked about ALL of them, like if you're playing a rogue you're probably gonna want to sneak attack every time you can.
I play with a controller...

Other than that, the "ask" thing is not very clear, i guess i'm gonna nerd on the menus for a bit, the game has so many mechanics :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

With the absurd number of quests and events, that is basically like what? 80% of the playtime?

It rarely happen that you don't have multiple open quests in your journal.

So the risk to fuck up is pretty much always there.

Like i sent the space pirate chick in the camp because my party is full and i have a mission with her (very early in the game) and she specifically said to not forget her in the camp or some shit, so even in the first 5 hours you already have this dilemma.
I think thats part of the fun actually. I had just broken Halsin out of prison and he wanted to kill the goblin leaders. My party was spent and i wanted to rest but he was like "what!? We cant rest now, we nedd to get this done as soon as possible!". The end result was that i had to come up with some creative solutions to killing the leaders, mostly baiting them to a hole that led directly to a spider den and pushing them there, the spiders did the rest for me.
Some reactions for certain builds like opportunity attacks (happens when a character thats close tries to move away), happen out of turn, however there is an option that lets the game ask for your permition before executing one (should be right besides the spell book tab in the inventory menu)

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Broken record here, but this is one of the big sticking points for me with classic AD&D versus 5e play.

Being able to rest so easily between battles, even in dangerous areas, kills all the risk/reward system. Normally, random encounters should make resting very risky in a dungeon, so that you have to balance the benefits and go for it only if necessary to get your clerics or magic users time enough to replenish critical healing/attack spells. Otherwise, you need to get out of the dungeon before you run out of supplies / torches etc and then make another run at it after an encampment (still some risk of wilderness encounter) or full regroup in town.

The idea is that going further into a dungeon is always a gamble, with many limiting factors like spells, torches, rations, dwindling hp, etc. You're expected to not be able to kill everything you see, expected to find encounters you'll need to flee from or die since they greatly outclass you, to use ingenuity to get around dangers because brute battles will kill you before long, etc. 5e on the other hand is so video-gamey that you're expected to progress straight through a dungeon with every encounter neatly balanced for you in advance, and can heal a ton of damage with quick rests between battles... reducing the whole sense of growing danger during an adventure.

Fools idol

Banned
So has anyone actually completed a Dark Urge run and can confirm how different it is?

Basically you can just be a merciless murdering bastard and the game just keeps going?

G-DannY

resting mechanic and companions "modern day dating" thirst are 2 of my (few) complaints about the game, apart from the bugs

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yep, that was my understanding, that's why it is annoying to rest to get the spells again, you feel trapped in a circle where you can fuck up things just because you want to recharge your damn spells.
I'm not gonna mod it out because the game is probably balanced this way, but it is fucking annoying during exploration.
You definitely need to parse out spells and use the cantrips as much as possible if you don't want to spam resting. That you can knock out a short rest virtually anywhere makes no sense either, or at least I've never been interrupted for a random encounter despite resting on the doorstep to a cave full of baddies. So yeah, it's hard to work the spell system in a game like this versus just a cooldown. But Vancian magic is so hard wired into DnD that most attempts to excise it are only partially successful.

You have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly take every revisionist claim at face value; perhaps at least have a little more skepticism towards the very same forces that are actively pushing for castration of minors along multiple avenues.
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
There are not enough emojis to express
1) how wrong you are
2) how stupid you are
3) how crazy you are
4) how detached from reality you are
5) how ignorant you are

The funniest part is that the way you write makes it seem like you have at least a bit of authority and knowledge on the subject, but then you just talk nonsense. I won't even block you because I want to spend the rest of my time here on GAF laughing at you.

Important detail: Reality doesn't care whether you agree or not; it will keep existing regardless of your will.

jason10mm

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
There are not enough emojis to express
1) how wrong you are
2) how stupid you are
3) how crazy you are
4) how detached from reality you are
5) how ignorant you are

The funniest part is that the way you write makes it seem like you have at least a bit of authority and knowledge on the subject, but then you just talk nonsense. I won't even block you because I want to spend the rest of my time here on GAF laughing at you.

Important detail: Reality doesn't care whether you agree or not; it will keep existing regardless of your will.
How posts like this make me feel about the strength of your argument..

JQfgjiH.gif

I just wish we could pre-select who we want sexy time with so the other characters would come off less rapey. Gale and the elven guy both feel like they are 1 roofie away from changing your alignment forever :p It's even weirder that a tall Gith wants my hafling staff of power in the first place. It's no great controversial statement that the "romance" in this game is pretty juvenile.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Fun point: that is precisely the thing that believers in the purely metaphysical notion of gender-identity can never accept.

Anyhow, we're going back to the gameplay since that debate will kill the thread. So, I guess you like the young-adult writing style and the potential sexualization of all party affiliations? Enjoy.

AV

We're done. An absolute all-time great, so much so that I'm about to immediately start up a new run. I don't remember the last time a game compelled me to do that, I was probably a kid.

JfrFheQ.png

Mozzarella

I have finished Act 2 and i have to say while Act 1 probably has more choices and branching paths, Act 2 was way more epic and impressive for me, atmosphere was even better, enemy variety better and the combat opened up and i have many cool abilities to do, i recruited companions and i feel i have so many opportunities now, plus the best dungeon in the game so far was in Act 2 and the colony near its end was impressive from art direction point, i definitely enjoyed Act 2 more, but both are masterclass. (Underdark is still the best region and thats act 1 2nd half)
I reached Act 3 and the city looks amazing, cant wait to play it.
This game is quickly making its way up in my all time favorite games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom