• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

SantaC

My first CRPG ever and i am confused as hell. But the game is really fun though, a welcome change from all jrpgs i play.

I am bothered by fact that i cant switch in another party member when one is dead. So now i need 200 in gold to revieve him. But gold is so scarce and i die alot because most fights has like 6 or 7 enemies at the same time. Not really fair.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
My first CRPG ever and i am confused as hell. But the game is really fun though, a welcome change from all jrpgs i play.

I am bothered by fact that i cant switch in another party member when one is dead. So now i need 200 in gold to revieve him. But gold is so scarce and i die alot because most fights has like 6 or 7 enemies at the same time. Not really fair.

You don't have any revivify Scrolls to resurrect them?

Fuz

Banned
go onnnnnnnnn

COQwGLz.jpg

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
66 hours and i just got to act 2

Star Trek Reaction GIF

Put to wares all common items you find and you'll sell that at merchants. Have a rogue pickpocket the merchant, then sell him back the items you won't use. My purse is about to bust after act 1. Money is not a problem with a rogue in the party.

Don't forget that you can help the fallen characters before they're really dead. Always recover help them when you can. You have revivify scrolls in your inventory.

Last edited:

Pakoe

I see that shopkeepers often have a "Attitude" slider (can you affect this somehow?). Be cool if that heads to "extreme distrust" if you routinely kill other shopkeepers and thus have to pay waaay more later in the game. Or you draw the ire of some sort of cosmic police force that adds difficulty to battles. Or other shopkeepers start trying to sell you cursed items :p
You can donate items (useless shit) by not asking for gold and the attitude towards you will be better

FireFly

When a party member goes down you can cast healing on them to get them back up before they die. Also you can cast sanctuary on them to prevent them from being attacked while you heal them up.

Pakoe

Just finished Act 2, took me less time than 1 but still enjoyable.
Act 1 was just finding out what to do, Act 2 all of sudden got wild as fuck.

Wondering if the bugs are as prevalent as claimed in Act 3.

amigastar

66 hours and i just got to act 2

Star Trek Reaction GIF

Put to wares all common items you find and you'll sell that at merchants. Have a rogue pickpocket the merchant, then sell him back the items you won't use. My purse is about to bust after act 1. Money is not a problem with a rogue in the party.

Don't forget that you can help the fallen characters before they're really dead. Always recover help them when you can. You have revivify scrolls in your inventory.
Strange, i'm 36 hours in and already at Act 2 with lvl 7.

Mozzarella

Is it just me or is Shar Temple the best dungeon so far? im near the end of act 2.
It has everything, bosses, cool art, nice quests, trails/puzzles.

Madonis

Is it just me or is Shar Temple the best dungeon so far? im near the end of act 2.
It has everything, bosses, cool art, nice quests, trails/puzzles.

It's nice, both because of the different areas or side story stuff you can stumble upon and because of the role it plays in the main quest as well as for Shadowheart.

Last edited:

iorek21

I've never seen the words "skill issue" being thrown around so much as in discussions about BG3, not even the "get gud" from early Soulsborne was like that. It seems some people feel pleasure in saying that they are so good in a game that every complain (some very valid ones) is being dismissed because "Skill issue. I killed X enemy while naked, solo and unarmed in the GigaChad difficulty!"... come on.

Every game has its flaws, even this one; there are lots of newcomers to Larian games; and BG3 can be very unforgiving at times.

I don't usually complain about gaming communities, but this time it's getting very noticeable.

I went to face the giant spider and got screwed every time. I gave up and went to explore other things on the map. People think I'm from the Absoluta group. The Goblins in the abandoned village didn't attack me after the dialogue. Is it worth killing them all?

Guilty_AI

I've never seen the words "skill issue" being thrown around so much as in discussions about BG3, not even the "get gud" from early Soulsborne was like that. It seems some people feel pleasure in saying that they are so good in a game that every complain (some very valid ones) is being dismissed because "Skill issue. I killed X enemy while naked, solo and unarmed in the GigaChad difficulty!"... come on.

Every game has its flaws, even this one; there are lots of newcomers to Larian games; and BG3 can be very unforgiving at times.

I don't usually complain about gaming communities, but this time it's getting very noticeable.
fetchimage

But serious, what you're having difficulty with? Even newcomers from what i've seen don't seen to be having too hard of a time after learning how the game works

Last edited:
Alright, after 63 hours, I think I'm finally done with the first act!

I've probably done everything that could be done so far, level 7 (halfway through 8). I think I've bought all the important stuff (well I hope so, because a lot of the merchants - goblin, duergar, githyanki - are dead and done), obtained the Blood of Lathander... and yet Scratch still won't play catch with me. :(

RainblowDash

Gold Member
I bought it on Steam after clearing some space on my SSD and so far have been really enjoying it.

It actually took me a few tries to get past the first mind flayers after the beginning when the squidcraft went down, a little embarrassing but interesting that just found in blazing was not too effective, this definitely isn’t Diablo 4 and seems it’ll be much better.

If you're a paladin and get to act 3 don't break you're oath.. the oathbreaker NPC is broken and won't appear. So you can't even change to oathbreaker or restore you're oath. Can't believe this shit still hasnt been fixed.

Majukun

is it really impossible how it seems to choose a member of your party for a task AFTER the dialogue already started?
it sounds stupid that i'm penalized by starting a dialogue with my sorcerer that has a physical check on it, but i have the barbarian right at the side of me that would pass the check 9/10 times and i should have selected for an easy "win"

Tieno

I can't believe I bought this game. The turn based nature scared me, it looked hard core, I'm not a PC gamer, haven't played or bought a game on PC for over 20 years or so. The last one was Halo PC probably.
Still decided to buy it because of all the attention it seemed to be getting and because of Larian studios philosopy and it being originally belgian studio (I'm belgian)...so I really wanted to give them my money.
10 hours in and I'm really liking it, story, presentation, combat, it's a time sink. It very much fits me and what I want to get out of a game. Somehow the turn based nature makes me less anxious, it gives me more room to think.

Guilty_AI

10 hours in and I'm really liking it, story, presentation, combat, it's a time sink. It very much fits me and what I want to get out of a game. Somehow the turn based nature makes me less anxious, it gives me more room to think.
My thoughts too. Despite the talk about turn-based being more 'hardcore' or less mainstream friendly when compared to real time, its actually much easier to learn and to get into. There are no barriers like needing good reflexes or good eye-to-hand coordination.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What is the class that can legolas-throw enemies and allies around and has high jumps? the monk?

I have no idea what race and class to chose but throwing allies and enemies to rapidly change position in the battleground and having high jumps to get high ground seems like abilities that are always useful in every fight.

I guess you can physically grab enemies or allies or use some sort of telekinetic magic to move them around but i prefer a physical approach because it if is more risky to get close it probably has more charges per battle that i can use (or at least this is what i would do to balance the 2 methods but maybe i'm completely off)

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What is the class that can legolas-throw enemies and allies around and has high jumps? the monk?

I have no idea what race and class to chose but throwing allies and enemies to rapidly change position in the battleground and having high jumps to get high ground seems like abilities that are always useful in every fight.
For throwing and jumping you want any strength-based class.

Guilty_AI

The more force you have, the further you can thrown people and jump. So any strenght based class.
Try going with warrior or barbarian then. Race doesn't matter as much, so just pick whatever fits your fancy or whatever has a race specific ability you might be interested in.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The more force you have, the further you can thrown people and jump. So any strenght based class.

Try going with warrior or barbarian then.
They sound boring, i almost never chose pure warriors.

Shit i'm gonna pass hours in the creation screen isn't?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I was thinking about going half orc or the space pirates for the race because they have interesting perks but they are ugly as sin :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Luipadre

Im pretty fucked at the final act 2 bossfight. I thought i had him but nope, another phase and my whole party barely lives with 0 spell slots and you cant even long rest there. Might have to restart the whole shit..

Guilty_AI

Shit i'm gonna pass hours in the creation screen isn't?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
They're the best class for beginners precisely cause they're boring. Hit people with a stick, push enemies off edges, wear good armor, all the good stuff.

And you'll still be able to manage your party members, so you can try experimenting with other classes and their synergy then.

GymWolf

Gold Member
They're the best class for beginners precisely cause they're boring. Hit people with a stick, push enemies off edges, wear good armor, all the good stuff.

And you'll still be able to manage your party members, so you can try experimenting with other classes and their synergy then.
I like this game because it feels kinda like an immersive sims so i want classes that can do wacky shit, maybe i can just use a druid or something else and put some points on strenght...

GymWolf

Gold Member
Im pretty fucked at the final act 2 bossfight. I thought i had him but nope, another phase and my whole party barely lives with 0 spell slots and you cant even long rest there. Might have to restart the whole shit..
Don't you have previous saves?

Guilty_AI

I like this game because it feels kinda like an immersive sims so i want classes that can do wacky shit, maybe i can just use a druid or something else and put some points on strenght...
Even with a warrior, you'll still be able to use scrolls or party members to do other stuff. Though i guess the druid has speak with animals and turn into animals, which are both pretty fun to use. However its not really a strenght based class, so i wouldn't put points into strenght since points in this game are very valuable.

Fools idol

Banned
i do but still have to redone the whole fight again and i need to rest somehow

Put a bunch of heavy shit into a chest / bag and have your str character throw it on them from high ground. Cheesey but was a quick way to squash the big spider boss in act 1.. may work here too

StereoVsn

fetchimage

But serious, what you're having difficulty with? Even newcomers from what i've seen don't seen to be having too hard of a time after learning how the game works
I think the game is decently hard for folks who aren't familiar with the systems just starting out.

Conversely, it gets much easier as people learn the various systems/tricks/approaches and party gains power. Once the magic users get to Lvl 3 spells, the whole thing gets significantly easier with proper AoE. And I am not talking about insane Sorcerer builds that can cast 4 Fireballs in a round.

Edit: This is for Balanced difficulty. Story should be fairly easy either way.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I though the same thing when i was starting, i ended up having way more fun with a fighter and a barbarian then with the seemingly more fun sounding classes like the wizard, warlock and sorcerer for example. You can pick eldritch knight with a fighter, respec or go multiclass with the barbarian so they wont be a pure warrior, but i probably wouldnt pick either of these as you can get them as amazing companions early.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I though the same thing when i was starting, i ended up having way more fun with a fighter and a barbarian then with the seemingly more fun sounding classes like the wizard, warlock and sorcerer for example. You can pick eldritch knight with a fighter, respec or go multiclass with the barbarian so they wont be a pure warrior, but i probably wouldnt pick either of these as you can get them as amazing companions early.
Yeah i want that devil chick in my party and she looks like some sort of warrior.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Fuck this hag in act 1, I spent 2 hours battling her minions and my party is spent. And here I thought I would progress to the underdark today.
That was the damnest fight. The computers ability to place enemies JUST outside of each characters melee movement range or the seemingly arbitrary spell cast distance is maddening. Half the time I end up acting like a pod of orcas around a school of fish to corral them into a tight space so I can finally lay hands on them (and not the good laying of hands!).

Where do people find that many black powder barrels?
I had a few from the Zhentarim basement (but could only pick them up because I fucked up the missing shipment quest and had to kill them, otherwise there's no way to get the barrels without being seen) and used most of those to blow up the hobgoblin chief in the goblin fortress, after that I was free to get the ones in the room next to Priestess Gut's (otherwise it would, again, be impossible to get them without being seen, even if you're friendly with them). But I haven't found as many as shown in this video in total...

Top Bottom