• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

I go into massive games knowing I may not beat it for years, if at all, these days. TotK is amazing, I'm not close to beating it, and no idea when I'll get back to it. I'll likely buy this (hell, probably double dip) knowing I will probably never see the credits roll. I may not even beat Act I before getting distracted by Armored Core and Starfield. I just want to see what the hype is about and play a genre I am completely new too. Just stop playing if you're done with it. Don't force yourself to play for 3 months. Play it when you want too.
I get you, but my backlog is too massive to justify buying a full price game and then dropping it (like hundreds others). Since you mention totk, i picked botw when it released on the switch, got bored and dropped for 5 years. When the release of totk was nearing, i picked it up again on pc, learned to windbomb and fast played it for around 20h.

And yeah, armored core and blasphemous 2 take priority n1. If it wasn't because of that, I probably would have dipped into bg3, but then I remember I still have to beat DOS 2 and wasteland 3 lol. I'm halfway through 40yo, and time is of the essence. As much as I loved the crpg (and jrpg and srpg) genre back when I was younger, I just can't nowadays.

Topher

Gold Member
Some people will play this game because it'll be a great rpg, others play it because they want to be Minthara's pet.
Both GIF by Dolittle

I get you, but my backlog is too massive to justify buying a full price game and then dropping it (like hundreds others). Since you mention totk, i picked botw when it released on the switch, got bored and dropped for 5 years. When the release of totk was nearing, i picked it up again on pc, learned to windbomb and fast played it for around 20h.

And yeah, armored core and blasphemous 2 take priority n1. If it wasn't because of that, I probably would have dipped into bg3, but then I remember I still have to beat DOS 2 and wasteland 3 lol. I'm halfway through 40yo, and time is of the essence. As much as I loved the crpg (and jrpg and srpg) genre back when I was younger, I just can't nowadays.
Yea, that's fair. What's works for me might not be for everyone else. Obviously budget factors into it as well. The larger point is that in general I'm against people forcing themselves through games after they've already stopped enjoying themselves, almost like a sunken cost fallacy.

I got a question completely unrelated to the game...

So, I recently watched Honor Among Thieves. In The previous Baldur's Gate games, Edwin is a Red Wizard of Thay, right? While being an asshole, he's definitely far from the ones we see in the movie (not to mention, he's not as dead). I don't have the slightest clue as to the history/timeline of the Forgotten Realms, was the whole ordeal with Szass Tam something that happened later, after the events of the games were done? Or is Edwin just not officially affiliated with them anymore for some reason? But other characters still react to him as a Red Wizard...

Sentenza

it makes the game easy right?
Right now it's bugged as hell, so no, it doesn't.
But yeah, it's SUPPOSED to make the game marginally easier by "tweaking" dice results, which is why it would be a bad option even if it worked properly.
People should just learn to "make the game easier" by maximizing the effectiveness of how they play and build characters, not by cheating with the dice results.

Sentenza

I bet some people will try to download this game tomorrow right before 1.0 launch just to redownload the whole game again an hour later lol. The launch of this is kinda weird tbh. They should disable the EA download now
Yep. I can see it happening.
And then they'll go to rant on the Steam subforum "Why I'm downloading a 90 GB patch already???".

Also, place your bets for how many people will be crying about their old saves not working anymore.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Yep. I can see it happening.
And then they'll go to rant on the Steam subforum "Why I'm downloading a 90 GB patch already???".

Also, place your bets for how many people will be crying about their old saves not working anymore.
22k playing right now :D wonder why

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Orc dual wielding Barbarian?

Half Elf dual wielding Ranger?

Dragonkin Oathbreaking Paladin?

Fuck me, decisions decisions. I probably wont know for sure until Im actually sitting in the character creator.

ssringo

I bet some people will try to download this game tomorrow right before 1.0 launch just to redownload the whole game again an hour later lol. The launch of this is kinda weird tbh. They should disable the EA download now
I'm initiating the download remotely and this fear has weighed on my mind since with my DL speed it's gonna take at least 2 hours. So I'll be waiting until

Had a (no shit) epiphany while typing the above.

S8s0dLU.jpg

Just...don't download until that size is the actual download size. Herpaderp!

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Is there any discussion about their expansion packs or definitive edition!

Wondering if i should move to buy now or wait…9
Support these kind of games by buying now. Larian also has a great track record with making so called "utimate edition upgrades" or whatever free for owners of the original.

Guilty_AI

They have no expansions planned, and as the guy above said, previous owners usually get free upgrades with their games. In fact, EA owners will even have their games automatically upgraded to the deluxe edition.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Why would you wait ? The game can easily give you at minimum 80-120 hours on one play through. With the insane variety you could net hundreds if not thousands of hours.

Do you really need to worry about expansions now when you could net that many hours ?

I’m all for saving a buck but god damn man.

I can only think of three games the last 15 years that I was as hyped for as this game. Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins, and Cyberpunk 2077. ME and DA:O lived up to the hype. CP2077 did not. Hopefully this one joins the first 2.

Gorgon

BG3 is a "once in a decade" game, maybe not even that. It's pushing the expectations of RPGs in terms of interactions, reactivity, choices & consequences, and PC-NPC relashionships to a level never seen before, and with AAA production values to boot. If we want to see more of this in the future, waiting for the "definitive edition" or cheap sales with all DLC included is a recipe to never see games like this again. So buy and support it now (unless it's for financial reasons, in which case it's totally understandable).

Last edited:

Ginzeen

Banned
BG3 is a "one in a decade" game, maybe not even that. It's pushing the expectations of RPGs in terms of interactions, reactivity, choices & consequences, and PC-NPC relashionships to a level never seen before, and with AAA production values to boot. If we want to see more of this in the future, waiting for the "definitive edition" or cheap sales with all DLC included is a recipe to never see games like this again. So buy and support it now (unless it's for financial reasons, in which case it's totally understandable).
i wouldn't call it once in a decade. Its just a top down isometric game, with a Triple A budget. Also its not open world. I still can't get over the fact their is no day and night cycle.

peish

i wouldn't call it once in a decade. Its just a top down isometric game, with a Triple A budget. Also its not open world. I still can't get over the fact their is no day and night cycle.

no day night cycle and dynamic weather is major letdown. imagine the extra gameplay possibilities

geary

And how many top down isometric with AAA budget comes in a decade? And who the hell wants a open world crpg?

Ginzeen

Banned
And how many top down isometric with AAA budget comes in a decade? And who the hell wants a open world crpg?
That's the thing. The devs that make top down isometric rpg games are not Triple A studios. Larian is the first I believe.

Gorgon

That's the thing. The devs that make top down isometric rpg games are not Triple A studios. Larian is the first I believe.

They used to be. BG1 and 2, etc were AAA titles back in the day. But the "genre" basically died on PC and it wasn't until recently that games like Torment: Tides of Numenera, Pathfinder, D:OS, and PoE revived the genre back. Larian is now in the position of bringing the genre back into shape in the AAA space and making a splash on consoles too, thus widening the audience.

Last edited:

Ginzeen

Banned
They used to be. BG1 and 2, etc were AAA titles back in the day. But the "genre" basically died on PC and it wasn't until recently that games like Torment: Tides of Numenera, Pathfinder, D:OS, and PoE revived the genre back. Larian is now in the position of bringing the genre back into shape in the AAA space and making a splash on consoles too, thus widening the audience.
Yes and I hope BG3 sells amazing. I'm predicting 10 million copies sold first year. Which will be unheard for a crpg.

niilokin

Dark Urge aside, it seems pretty clear that the late part of the story is going to involve the Dead Three in general.
The old (2019-2020) BG3 website had a written story snippet that was all about the resurrection and return of the Dead Three. I tried to look for that site with wayback machine but could nt find it, it might have been in the old press kits. But it seems not many talked about it.

Top Bottom