• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

sertopico

I think that when you set up camp time passes to night. But I haven't played the EA, so not sure.
Same here. I tried not to watch/play anything during these years so that I won't spoil my experience with the full game. I read a bit around and apparently there will be some parts set during the night, but only when the devs want it to be that way, i.e. due to plot and quest related reasons. Otherwise, it will be daytime all the time. They made this choice also because they otherwise had to create night schedules for all the npcs in the game, which would have been too much work apparently. :/

calistan

no day night cycle and dynamic weather is major letdown. imagine the extra gameplay possibilities
I've never really liked day/night cycles in games, ever since Ocarina of Time, which was the first one I saw. Fun during the day, plagued by skeletons all night.

Hardly any games do it realistically anyway. Night is exactly the same as day except everything has a dark blue tint. Hollywoood night. Give me blue skies and good visibility, thanks.

sertopico

I've never really liked day/night cycles in games, ever since Ocarina of Time, which was the first one I saw. Fun during the day, plagued by skeletons all night.

Hardly any games do it realistically anyway. Night is exactly the same as day except everything has a dark blue tint. Hollywoood night. Give me blue skies and good visibility, thanks.
Well, doing that right is up to the devs. There can be different encounters and quests which could surely be meaningful to the whole gameplay, also based upon the kind of character you created.

Last edited:

Gorgon

I see. So it can be nighttime in the camp only, right?

Like you said, there may be some fixed story/location events in which you get nightime, but for the most part it's always daytime and during camp/long rest it shifts to nightime.

calistan

Well, doing that right is up to the devs. There can be different encounters and quests which could surely be meaningful to the whole gameplay, also based upon the kind of character you created.
I think they've done that based on scripted night events, so the story dictates the time of day. The thing I don't like is having my daylight taken away every 10 minutes and then having to wait for the sun to come up.

Guilty_AI

I prefer the activity-based passage of time, where the X amount of hours (or things like morning>afternoon>evening>etc) pass every time you do a certain action rather than real clock-based time passage. It makes it much easier to give good scenario distinctions between certain times of the day, as well as give a good sense of time passage without making the player feel hurried.

After having lunch with a coworker who is as hyped as me, I completely caved and quickly preordered it on steam as well. I had it in preorder on PS5, but my coworker convinced me to rely on Geforce Now to play it just as well on my Surface Pro. :p
it should be a good experience on geforce now. it's not really a game you need high fps or reaction times/low latency for. hope you have fun :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentenza

I hate this argument, frankly.
"IF D/N isn't super-complex then it's pointless". I strongly disagree, I think it's dismissive nonsense.

It does a freaking ton even when implemented in the most basic form, I'd say.
Even in absence of complex, Ultima-like NPC scheduling, the day/night cycle in BG can enhance the experience significantly:

- it maintain the illusion of the fictional world being a simulated and persistent environment.
- it offers cosmetic variety
- it creates occasions for differentiating factors even in already-explored areas, through a rotation of population/potential encounters (i.e. day-exclusive or night-exclusive monsters).
- it opens to context-exclusive scenarios
- it sets the mood for certain scenes and encounters

Random example: Imagine roaming the streets of the city stuck in a permanent noon and contrast it with having the option to navigate both its crowded market during the day and its dark alleys during the night, or seeing street lights being turned on at dusk as it gets darker gradually, etc, etc..

Sentenza

I prefer the activity-based passage of time, where the X amount of hours (or things like morning>afternoon>evening>etc) pass every time you do a certain action rather than real clock-based time passage. It makes it much easier to give good scenario distinctions between certain times of the day, as well as give a good sense of time passage without making the player feel hurried.
That sounds like a system way more fit for some dating sim like Persona or basically-visual-novel like Disco Elysium.

A good CRPG is supposed to be in almost equal parts a narrative experience, a (tactical) combat game AND a pseudo-simulation of a virtual environment. This is where time passage comes into play.

I am personally curious about romance interests in the game. Since the decline of Bioware, we haven't had a game that had proper relationships in RPGs (I don't count Skyrim and the upcoming Starfield :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

Ginzeen

Banned
I am personally curious about romance interests in the game. Since the decline of Bioware, we haven't had a game that had proper relationships in RPGs (I don't count Skyrim and the upcoming Starfield :messenger_tears_of_joy:)
False. Persona 5, fallout 4, pathfinder games, etc.

Ginzeen

Banned
I hate this argument, frankly.
"IF D/N isn't super-complex then it's pointless". I strongly disagree, I think it's dismissive nonsense.

It does a freaking ton even when implemented in the most basic form, I'd say.
Even in absence of complex, Ultima-like NPC scheduling, the day/night cycle in BG can enhance the experience significantly:

- it maintain the illusion of the fictional world being a simulated and persistent environment.
- it offers cosmetic variety
- it creates occasions for differentiating factors even in already-explored areas, through a rotation of population/potential encounters (i.e. day-exclusive or night-exclusive monsters).
- it opens to context-exclusive scenarios
- it sets the mood for certain scenes and encounters

Random example: Imagine roaming the streets of the city stuck in a permanent noon and contrast it with having the option to navigate both its crowded market during the day and its dark alleys during the night, or seeing street lights being turned on at dusk as it gets darker gradually, etc, etc..
I agree. Pretty much evey double A crpg game has a day and night cycle. But Larian still hasn't figured it out, with a now, triple A budget? It's not a major let down but it still sucks.

Guilty_AI

That sounds like a system way more fit for some dating sim like Persona or basically-visual-novel like Disco Elysium.

A good CRPG is supposed to be in almost equal parts a narrative experience, a (tactical) combat game AND a pseudo-simulation of a virtual environment. This is where time passage comes into play.
Atelier games do this (neither a dating sim nor a visual novel), time passes whenever you collect materials and travel, tying into the time-limits to deliver requests. In the case of a crpg you can tie this to world events and quests (which BG3 already does to a certain degree in fact). With time of day you could also create schedules for characters, determine opening and closing time of certain estabilishments, maybe some enemy mechanics, etc.

You could also do these with normal clock-based time of course, but as i said this creates a problem with making the player feel as if he's being hurried to do things by the game. Its especially bad if its a game that has strong focus on exploration.

Last edited:

niilokin

I loved the day/night cycles in old infinity games... coming back town from a long dungeon quest and it's night and party members start yawning for rest and you just head to the tavern, great atmosphere. Also a lightning bolt hitting from the sky during storm.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
When your wife calls and asks if you can go to the grocery store and cook dinner tonight, on launch day

bNNbooz.jpg

less than 2 hours lads. The answer was FUCK NO ORDER A PIZZA BITCH!

GATHER YE FOOKIN PARTAY!!!

Last edited:
BG1 and BG2 had day/night cycles. Mattered for gameplay too with night vision, sneaking, certain events, etc.
people need to remember we're likely going to get an "Enhanced Edition" of Baldur's Gate 3 in 2024/2025. so while this release of the game might not have it there is still the chance that the EE could have day/night or weather cycles (or any other new features). If it's something people want them I think Larian will do it if it's possible for them. I think it'd be a cool feature to add in an EE.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My Virtual Desktop crashed so I have the day off until IT fixes my shit. Feels like kismet.

Guilty_AI

Borislav released the soundtrack on his channel

Not sure if its the full OST (especially since some discs tend to leave out plenty of in-game tracks) but should be a treat either way.

Beware there could be spoilers amongst the soundtrack.

Last edited:
Fell for the hype and bought it. Haven't slept yet today so I'm just waiting for launch (in 40 minutes, right?) so I can initiate the download and knock out lol

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

lmao.. ffs

Groans.. We do get a lot of games without Microtransaction bs but no one even knows about them or buys them. Nintendo games in general are great about that. Then you have games like Hi-Fi Rush, Armored Core 6, Final Fantasy XVI, Ratchet and Clank, Square Enix AA games, and so many others. I hope people do support games like BG3 and other games without awful monetization. I think it will be interesting how Fae Farm and Fantasy Life 2 does compared to Palia. I wouldn't be shocked if gamers choose the F2P model once again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So the gameplay only takes place during the day?

Or there is nighttime gameplay, but you got to rest and wake up at night in order to play at night? And rinse and repeat if you want it back to daytime gaming?

Interfectum

So if I'm going in for the story, do I go custom character or origin character? if I go custom, what exactly am I missing out on with not going origin?

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
remember to exit steam and relaunch at 11. The piece of shit sometimes doens't recognise new versions until full restart.

The version yo want is 120+ gbs, not 70gb (early access size)

So if I'm going in for the story, do I go custom character or origin character? if I go custom, what exactly am I missing out on with not going origin?
origin characters have their own stories that connect to the main story (i think) but i think you can still make your own character because you can add the origin characters to your party and experience their story.

maybe i've misunderstood it. hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chip in.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
For those who played early access: does a half elf drow get special interactions? Or are they just tested like regular half elves or regular drow/elves?

Top Bottom