• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Pilot - Back to Mode 7, Back to Step 1. (IGN)

ninge

this game has been in development for nearly 4 years.. no way its EVER gonna recoup its costs on the GBA. idiots.

ninge

that would rule - as long as it didn't take as long as banjo pilot to make and was handled by someone else.. having just watched the videos pilot just looks plain terrible :(

Although it should be mentioned that the sound, music and general presentation are top notch! still, polish on a turd is still a turd.. even a turd that was four years in the making!

MattCoz

human5892 said:
Reading that preview just makes me want Diddy Kong Racing on the DS.
Maybe they'll do Donkey Kong Racing on the DS. I remember that was the first GameCube game I ever saw, I was really excited for it.

you do realize you're still working with the GBA right?

It's still a micronized SNES, not a PS1 or 2. Don't expect a full 3d masterpiece on something so limited.

ninge

well, a snes with over 30 times the processing power, 16 times the RAM, 2 "mode7" playfields, sprite scaling and not to mention twice as many sprites!

you did see the screenshots with the 3D landscapes didnt you? check them out.. it looked cool.

There are plenty of demos of voxel landscapes on the GBA as well that run perfectly fine. The only reason for dropping them seems to be that someone finally decided they'd had enough and wanted it out the door..

ninge said:
this game has been in development for nearly 4 years.. no way its EVER gonna recoup its costs on the GBA. idiots.

well, they only have *1* GBA team at RARE, and they just work on all the game at the same time I believe... so I Am pretty sure that team easily recoups their costs becaus they always have something nearly finished and coming out... banjo/sabrewulf/DKC certainly helped pay their salaries of like a 5 man team.

jarrod

Banned
Here's some shots of the voxel based version...

banjopilot_042104_001_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_003_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_005_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_008_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_009_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_011_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_012_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_013_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_018_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_019_thumb.jpg
banjopilot_042104_023_thumb.jpg

...too bad they gave up on it, it looks pretty impressive honestly.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Think kart racers for hand helds are almost a waste of time, Kart racers are mostly about multiplayer and most people don’t play much multiplayer on there GBA’s. Sitting around the TV with mates playing mario kart and having a beer is what kart racing games are about!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Do The Mario said:
Sitting around the TV with mates playing mario kart and having a beer is what kart racing games are about!
Cheers to that. Playing Mario Kart is one of my favorite alcoholic activities, and a bunch of my friends are into it as well. Now that's fun.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
jarrod said:
Here's some shots of the voxel based version...

...too bad they gave up on it, it looks pretty impressive honestly.

What you can't see is that that version was running at 6 FPS.

Memles

I think the Wireless capabilities of the DS could change that. I have a feeling that a Diddy Kong Racing Port might be something Nintendo would look into for a 2006 release, to separate it from MKDS.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Diddy kong racing = one of the best games ever

awesome single player kart racer with good multiplayer!!

i loved that turtle! he should have his own game!

What the fuck. Now it looks exactly like the original version, which I played at E3 2001. That was four E3s ago, folks. It was fun as hell then, and I have no problem with this graphics style, but at least with the voxel engine we had some kind of excuse for the ridiculous development cycle. I don't suppose they're returning to the tilt sensor, which is a damn shame, since it rocked.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do The Mario said:
Think kart racers for hand helds are almost a waste of time, Kart racers are mostly about multiplayer and most people don’t play much multiplayer on there GBA’s. Sitting around the TV with mates playing mario kart and having a beer is what kart racing games are about!

These days, its all about mashed on the xbox. Fantastic 4 player game. Lots of fun racing and evil knocking off of your opponents :)

I've got interesting news for those of you following this game. According to my THQ rep, IGN's story about Banjo Pilot was "mistakenly posted" and will be pulled soon, if it's not already down. So does this mean they were playing an old build and the game is still using voxels, or did they just break an embargo? I'm trying to find out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hah, very interesting.

If they were wrong and it was an older build, there are going to be so many confused readers.

Top Bottom