• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Zeppelin

Alright, I love this game. Got into a fight and when I was done the narrator goes "Do you know how many times The Kid was about to fall of the edge during that fight? Three."

Zeppelin said:
Alright, I love this game. Got into a fight and when I was done the narrator goes "Do you know how many times The Kid was about to fall of the edge during that fight? Three."

I wish there was actually more stuff like this, but it is cool when it happens. On the stage with the
moving skyboat thing, Nessi maybe?
, he was narrating and topped it off with 'and he didn't even fall off once.'

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Lima said:
Take a look at the bottom

It also says with any Summer of Arcade purchase. I'd bet money that next week there will be the same offer for From Dust, and the bottom will say *Valid for From Dust game only

Emitan

Zeppelin said:
I love how you can discover the narrator's favorite weapon combo
(Hammer + Carbine)

Lombax

Banned
my favorite line from last night "Guess third times the charm..yeah right."
what can I say I was having a hard time in the pipe.

Did anyone finish the challenge where you have to score 750 with the pistols? The closest I've come is like 690. I have no clue how to improve my score.

wwm0nkey

Anyone know where you can get the music from this game? It really is great.

Kicked in at the right time during the ending of the last level and ending scene

ThirdEngine said:
Did anyone finish the challenge where you have to score 750 with the pistols? The closest I've come is like 690. I have no clue how to improve my score.
The highest I got after many many attempts was 736, but then I discovered a little trick. It's kinda cheap but the game is pretty unreasonable to begin with.

Equip the Werewhiskey and before you pick up the pistols, keep walking off the edge till the werewhiskey activates. Pick up the pistols and play the game as usual. Then apologize to your thumb for not doing this in the first place.

zethren

Banned
ThirdEngine said:

Yeah, it took me a few tries but I got it. You just have to be REALLY fast. The game wants you to anticipate where each dummy is going to be next so you can mentally prepare to smash that "x" button like no tomorrow.

I don't think there's any real trick to it, unfortunately.

ZekeThePlumber said:
The highest I got after many many attempts was 736, but then I discovered a little trick. It's kinda cheap but the game is pretty unreasonable to begin with.

Equip the Werewhiskey and before you pick up the pistols, keep walking off the edge till the werewhiskey activates. Pick up the pistols and play the game as usual. Then apologize to your thumb for not doing this in the first place.

Woah...breaks the challenge, but that is a smart usage of resources.

Gowans

Billychu said:
Agreed. There needs to be way to save when you're in the Bastion.
I have been really careful, at the end of a section it loaded another area so I assumed it saved. Nope I have to do the whole thing again.

A good few times this has happened, gona just have to play till I get to the Bastion then quit. Not good for people with lives and families playing it in bursts.

zethren

Banned
Just beat my NG+, and 100%'d the game (all vigils, all achievements, all proving grounds, all weapon upgrades). Didn't do all of the "Who Knows Where" challenges with the idols though (so maybe that doesn't count as 100%...).

The only other game that I have 100% of the achievements for is Dorito Dash.

Endgame Spoilers Below:
I actually kind of like the ending where we evacuated better than the ending where I restored the world. The art in the credits helped along with that, I suppose. They're on a new adventure, seeking out any other survivors. I feel like that is the true ending to the game, which could lead into a sequel. Maybe.

Anyways, loved it just as much the second time through.

Darkgran

Billychu said:
Agreed. There needs to be way to save when you're in the Bastion.

Wait what?

So how does the save system work? I turned it off when I returned to the Bastion. Did I just lose progress?

Emitan

Darkgran said:
Wait what?

So how does the save system work? I turned it off when I returned to the Bastion. Did I just lose progress?
It saves when you beat a level but if you return a core and then upgrade a weapon or something it won't save that until you beat the next level.

eXistor

Okay I take back what I said yesterday (me not really feeling the game). I played some more yesterday and I'm liking it a whole lot more. For some reason when I got the scattershot gun the game became a whole lot more fun to play for me.

feel

Was really enjoying the demo and was about to come check gaf before purchasing to see if others who played the full game are not disapointed and but then the comentator goes (paraphrasing) "Then the kid just raged for a while" as I was wildly swinging the hammer at eveything in an area after clearing it of enemies made me purchase it on the spot. Glad to read a lot of you finished it and loved it.

Aouri

Neo Member
I don't play Arcade games that much. Mostly because I haven't been very interested in any. But this really fell into my interest. I love it! Easy to get in to. I'll support the future games they'll make!

zethren

Banned
Letters said:
Was really enjoying the demo and was about to come check gaf before purchasing to see if others who played the full game are not disapointed and but then the comentator goes (paraphrasing) "Then the kid just raged for a while" as I was wildly swinging the hammer at eveything in an area after clearing it of enemies made me purchase it on the spot. Glad to read a lot of you finished it and loved it.

That was the very moment I knew I would love the game.

feel

what a beautiful game, I'm just chilling in this grassy area early on listening to the birds, no desire to even advance

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
I've been impressed by what I've seen so far but combat feels incredibly sluggish to me and the level of zoom makes it a little hard to see what's going on. I'd be enjoying this even more if the combat felt more responsive/visceral and/or if the Kid's running speed was upped a bit.

Meier

I had no idea what this game was about but my real life buddy told me he'd pick it up and it was awesome and then jonnyram tweeted about it so I snagged it (and got The Maw for free). Loved the first 45 minutes or so I played.. very unique and the narration aspect is a great "twist" on the genre.

I do wish the Kid moved a little faster or there was a sprint. I know the A is kind of a defacto version of it but it's not quite the same.

sixghost

This game is so damn good. I know it sounds really hipstery when people say this about downloadable games, but Bastion is GOTY so far. It's been a while since I've felt like I was playing something as special as this.

zethren said:
Yeah, it took me a few tries but I got it. You just have to be REALLY fast. The game wants you to anticipate where each dummy is going to be next so you can mentally prepare to smash that "x" button like no tomorrow.

I don't think there's any real trick to it, unfortunately.

[spirit trick]

Woah...breaks the challenge, but that is a smart usage of resources.
I think the devs would support that kind of creativity. That spirit helps a ton in a few other challenges as well. The brusher challenge in particular, you can 1hit the pin plants when it's activated.

zethren

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Such an amazing song.

Home Sweet Home and The End give me goosebumps.

Great songs, I cannot wait for the hypothetical OST (make it so!)

You know what's interesting? Play "The End" directly after "Home Sweet Home" as if they were one single song and it becomes even more awesome.

sixghost said:
I think the devs would support that kind of creativity. That spirit helps a ton in a few other challenges as well. The brusher challenge in particular, you can 1hit the pin plants when it's activated.

Yeah, I'm sure they would. Time to start experimenting with all of the different tonics now.

zethren said:
I actually kind of like the ending where we evacuated better than the ending where I restored the world. The art in the credits helped along with that, I suppose. They're on a new adventure, seeking out any other survivors. I feel like that is the true ending to the game, which could lead into a sequel. Maybe.

I think it would have worked better if things were a little more like Nier and you had no choice the first time you finished the game. Resetting the world is the perfect new game + setting and then upon finishing it the second time (clued in by the changes in narration) you could have the choice to evacuate and erase your save game data.

That said the use of music in the game is excellent
the way they implimented both of the vocal sent shivers down my spine.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just wanted to chime in on how much I am enjoying this game. The feel, look, music and narrator make for such a great package. I'll probably be one of those that jumps into Game+ whenever I get to the end.

zethren

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
I think it would have worked better if things were a little more like Nier and you had no choice the first time you finished the game. Resetting the world is the perfect new game + setting and then upon finishing it the second time (clued in by the changes in narration) you could have the choice to evacuate and erase your save game data.

That said the use of music in the game is excellent
the way they implimented both of the vocal sent shivers down my spine.

I agree.
So glad I chose Restoration first.

Billychu said:
Does the last choice affect anything? One of them sounds like it disables New Game+

No, just how the story ends really. You'll still have NG+ regardless.

My favorite ending was the Evacuate ending.

Top Bottom