• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just played the demo of this, it's good but really short. I breezed right through it. Didn't really give me time to decide whether or not this would make a great purchase. Everyone's comments on here would seem to back it up that it is, though. Still, money is tight. Hate to say it but I might have to wait for a sale.

Vire

Looks like we've approached 40,000 in sales so far.

I'm curious if this is the target SuperGiant set for themselves.

sixghost

Vire said:
Looks like we've approached 40,000 in sales so far.

I'm curious if this is the target SuperGiant set for themselves.
Are you using the leaderboards as your source? Don't forget about the people who either haven't tried Who Knows Where or just don't have their consoles connected to XBL. My console is never connected, except when I move it to download stuff from the marketplace.

Also, I wish there was a way you could jump straight into the combat challenges after you NG+. I really want to try them with all the idols on, but don't want to rush through the story missions again.

Vire

sixghost said:
Are you using the leaderboards as your source? Don't forget about the people who either haven't tried Who Knows Where or just don't have their consoles connected to XBL. My console is never connected, except when I move it to download stuff from the marketplace.

Also, I wish there was a way you could jump straight into the combat challenges after you NG+. I really want to try them with all the idols on, but don't want to rush through the story missions again.
I'm basing it off the story mode leader boards. Basically anyone who has bought the game will be on that list. The only people who wouldn't be accounted for are the people who didn't sign into live after downloading... (which is very small).

Havok

Speaking of leaderboards, I have no idea how the Story score works. After two playthroughs, I made number 27 on the list, but I don't understand what that score even means.

Vire

Just beat Kid's Dream with all Idols turned on.

BOOYAH. Now to nurse my sore thumb. :(

That was super rewarding.

Atilac said:
Brad still number 1?

Hush, I'd have knocked him off if I could!

Brad's number 1 forever, as far as the arena modes leadboards stands as whoever beat the challenge first is always number one, the second is number 2 and so on.

The hammer thing is bullshit. I'm not worried about the dueling pistols, because it's clear by this thread that it's too hard and should be exploited to beat it. I have legitimately finished in 25 seconds 6 fucking times on the hammer proving ground(you need 24 seconds to win). If anyone knows of anyway I can cheat or exploit to get this retarded thing out of my hair please let me know.

Also, does anyone know if there's going to be a fix for the drift-to-the-left thing?

Conciliator said:
The hammer thing is bullshit. I'm not worried about the dueling pistols, because it's clear by this thread that it's too hard and should be exploited to beat it. I have legitimately finished in 25 seconds 6 fucking times on the hammer proving ground(you need 24 seconds to win). If anyone knows of anyway I can cheat or exploit to get this retarded thing out of my hair please let me know.

Also, does anyone know if there's going to be a fix for the drift-to-the-left thing?
max hammer upgrades. use the roll to smash smaller junk faster. i did it in 22 seconds.

kunu

I'm sure this has been asked countless times before, but any word on when this will hit Steam? Or possibly PSN?

zethren said:
You know what's interesting? Play "The End" directly after "Home Sweet Home" as if they were one single song and it becomes even more awesome.
oh.

oh my god.

shades of dayvan cowboy by boards of canada with that pseudo-drop between the two songs.

feel

What was that about losing progress? When does this game save? I haven't turned off the console or quit the game since I started it earlier today and now I'm a bit scared to do so before consulting

Vire

Letters said:
What was that about losing progress? When does this game save? I haven't turned off the console or quit the game since I started it earlier today and now I'm a bit scared to do so before consulting
Every time you finish a level it saves.

Aspiring

Question about getting the maw for free. It says offer is US only. I I buy it I'm guessing it will give me a download code for both games. Are they region free? I live in australia

EDIT: I'm about to order and just had to choose a US state and zip code. Now I I did order is it a download code or do they mail it to you? Also is the code region locked to US accounts only?

I love this game. I'm so addicted to it right now. I keep saying "I'll just do one more area" and then "I'll just max out this proving ground" and then "well another area couldn't hurt." It's so much fun.

Is there a better weapon combination than War Machete/Musket? I don't think so. So awesome.

sixghost

Incendiary said:
I love this game. I'm so addicted to it right now. I keep saying "I'll just do one more area" and then "I'll just max out this proving ground" and then "well another area couldn't hurt." It's so much fun.

Is there a better weapon combination than War Machete/Musket? I don't think so. So awesome.
It seems like there are quite a few great weapon combos. I spent most of the game with the hammer and bow, or the carbine and shotgun.

Emitan

I really don't like the shotgun. It seems almost useless you're practically touching the enemy. The carbine seems a lot better.

Billychu said:
I really don't like the shotgun. It seems almost useless you're practically touching the enemy. The carbine seems a lot better.

I haven't unlocked the carbine yet, but the musket/shotgun has been super effective for me. I combine it with the Final Warning super skill, so it's easy to clear out areas of small enemies, with one or two shots (or a super skill) then for long distance I throw the machete, and for big enemies hack/slash/counter.

Billychu said:
fully upgraded scrap musket with slowing and "gain health" spirit = god mode.

Havok

Fully upgraded Brusher's Pike and fully upgraded final weapon has been my combo lately. Never have to go near anyone ever with massive damage weapons. Protip: combine health leech and Bastion Brew (I think) - gain health each hit without losing potion effectiveness.

xanavi

Conciliator said:

I don't have a drift-to-the-left problem. I also finished the hammer trial on both play-throughs with seconds to spare -- around 22-23 seconds. Make sure you utilize the roll to take out small debris, have the hammer spec'd for damage and not crit, and allow the stick to go neutral before you swing as that allows you to double the damage of your strike. And I've also completed the pistol trial with a score of 764 without the werewhiskey trick so I think it's more than fair. I had the pistol spec'd for damage and penetration and ignored the capacity for this trial. Be more quick in mashing that "x" button.

Oh, also note that none of the proving grounds are essential for you to progress in the story, so they are optional.

xanavi said:
I don't have a drift-to-the-left problem. I also finished the hammer trial on both play-throughs with seconds to spare -- around 22-23 seconds. Make sure you utilize the roll to take out small debris, have the hammer spec'd for damage and not crit, and allow the stick to go neutral before you swing as that allows you to double the damage of your strike. And I've also completed the pistol trial with a score of 764 without the werewhiskey trick so I think it's more than fair. I had the pistol spec'd for damage and penetration and ignored the capacity for this trial. Be more quick in mashing that "x" button.
agreed. i had the dueling pistols upgraded to 4 with focused fire and extra damage on. passed the trial with 761. you don't have to cheese it to win. also beware you do not have to move at all in the dueling pistols trial. just get REAL good at quickly pressing X 5 times (with the 25% damage boost it takes 5 shots per target) and it'll be fine.

zethren

Banned
Pistols and Machete were my weapons of choice for both of my runs. I tried branching out a few times, but always went back to them.

Pistols are just way too fun to use.

Tokubetsu

zethren said:
Pistols and Machete were my weapons of choice for both of my runs. I tried branching out a few times, but always went back to them.

Pistols are just way too fun to use.

I'd agree with you if I didn't become a slave to powershots with the Breaker's Bow. There's something addicting about getting power shot after power shot perfectly =)

Aspiring

Ok awesome that Microsoft site works for people outside the us. I just put a different zip code and chose a US state and it worked. So I got 2 download keys and both also worked fine! Awesome stuff and was great considering it just charged me $15 not any points. Great stuff!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I used the pistols/war machete for awhile but now I have discovered the glory of the mortar. Pistols don't gel that well with it, though.

sixghost

xanavi said:

Oh, also note that none of the proving grounds are essential for you to progress in the story, so they are optional.
Yeah I was going to ask if he knew you could destroy most of the smaller stuff by rolling, also make sure your LS is neutral when hitting the larger junk, it does 2x the moving damage. I really didn't find any of the challenges that hard to get 1st place, there were quite a few that took me 5-6 tries, but I was always glad they weren't easy enough to blaze through first try, those things really taught me how to use the weapons to their fullest.

The shield proving ground was easily the most useful of them all. I spent about 25 minutes on that one, eventually getting through it with 0 hits. The shield basically became my strongest weapon after getting the counter system down.

Tokubetsu said:
I'd agree with you if I didn't become a slave to powershots with the Breaker's Bow. There's something addicting about getting power shot after power shot perfectly =)
i found it much easier to get them with the army carbine.

LiK

I just finished it. FANTASTIC. The later weapons and upgrades are really fun and diverse. Also liked some of the different mechanics in the final level. Will play NG+ soon and try to complete some leftover Proving Grounds. I had no trouble completing the Vigils on my first play through.. ^^

Zeppelin

Anyone have any tips for the
War Machete
proving ground? It's the only one I've got left and I can't even get second price even with a fully upgraded weapon. :(

Edit: Nevermind. Just got it...

LiK

Zeppelin said:
Anyone have any tips for the
War Machete
proving ground? It's the only one I've got left and I can't even get second price even with a fully upgraded weapon. :(

Edit: Nevermind. Just got it...
That one was easy for me. Got it with just two upgrades. But damn, the shield one is annoying me.

Trumpets

The demo did nothing for me - I was expecting some sort of RPG but instead all you seem to do is run around and hit stuff. The narrator is a nice idea and well executed but I'm not sure he really changes anything.

Is the demo representative of the full game?

Zeppelin

LiK said:
That one was easy for me. Got it with just two upgrades. But damn, the shield one is annoying me.

Yeah, once you realize you can just camp the spawns and slash away in the beginning it's cake. The shield one was a bitch for me aswell.

Completed it yesterday, will leave my thoughts till I've ran through NG+ and got everything done. Really enjoyed the ending though, and the music was awesome throughout.

As for weapon combo's, I mostly stuck to my old reliable of the Bow/Machete.

Zeppelin

Oh, man, this game... Blasting through NG+ with all Idols turned on right now. It's so much fun and it can be pretty tough at times. I find something I like in almost all weapon combinations I try.

I also just finished the first Who Knows Where with all Idols on. Kind of a dumb move on their part to rate you only on number of Idols turned on and completion date. The latter should have been completion time or something instead.

It's also too bad that Vigils don't transfer to NG+ since I really don't feel like doing all the Proving Grounds over again.

Kafel

Banned
I've tried the demo this morning and while I liked it I'm not sure the depth of this game is enough to warrant a purchase.

Nice music though.

Top Bottom