• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Ulchie

Banned
toasty_T said:
This wasn't really on my radar but and I went and tried out the demo. Really nifty little game.

The narrator is a fucking boss and damn does it look nice. Thing is I don't really plan on playing it anytime soon and Deus Ex is coming out next week.

Should I or shouldn't I buy it now...?
With the reasons you highlight above, I don't really see why you are asking the question...

kasavin

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just launched Steam and it updated Bastion (2nd time now). Anyone know what it did?

Patch notes are here. We have another update slated for tomorrow -- we intend to keep supporting the game.

Tawpgun

kasavin said:
Patch notes are here. We have another update slated for tomorrow -- we intend to keep supporting the game.
So you're one of the dev's?

Then let me just say THANK you for an amazing experience. Bought the game. Bought the OST. And I don't typically buy music.... One of my favorite games I've played. Can't wait to see what you guys do in the future.

LiK

A27 Tawpgun said:
So you're one of the dev's?

Then let me just say THANK you for an amazing experience. Bought the game. Bought the OST. And I don't typically buy music.... One of my favorite games I've played. Can't wait to see what you guys do in the future.

it's the almighty Greg Kasavin.

Kasavin, I'm sure you're getting tired of the endless praise being heaped upon your game, but I as I sit here listening to The Singer, having just finished my new game plus run, I can't help but smile. Every single thing about Bastion is just insanely high quality. The graphics? Beautiful in a way that will never age no matter how much technology improves. The music? Orgasmic. The characters, writing, pacing, voice acting, world, etc? Oh dear lord, it all felt real in a way on the best fiction can. And never once did the story feel like it was intruding on the interactive nature of gaming. The interactive narrator? Genius. The gameplay? Insanely customizable and well balanced, offering more replay than I ever expected from a game with such excellent atmosphere and storytelling. Hands down one of the best experiences I've had gaming. Not simply on XBLA, on the xbox, or even of this generation, but period. And for $15?

One thing I was thinking about. In the penultimate scene
where you decide whether or not to carry Zulf to safety: if you choose to save him, the use of gameplay to convey the scene adds so much to the immersive feeling of your game as has already been discussed to death. It was a mindblowingly excellent moment. But I just wanted to thank you for incorporating player choice into the game in what I think may be one of the best examples in the history of the medium. Without offering players the option to choose, the intense immersion offered by the scene would have been diminished greatly. The sacrifice the kid was making felt so much more personal because I knew that I could have simply left him and continued my battering ram slaughter. Carrying Zulf was one of the game's finest moments and you guys at Supergiant games had the balls to make it entirely missable, but in doing so you made the choice feel like it actually mattered. Im not sure another choice I've made in a game has ever felt quite so personal.

Anyway, I'm going to stop gushing like some teenager experiencing his first crush, but I had to get that out there.

Salsa

got to the part where im
collecting shards
and man oh man, i love you kasavin (i mean, more so now).

Its a really damn good port too, not really having that "fps lock up" issue. The only thing i noticed is that if i turn v-sync ON, any time there would be some screen tearing, the framerate does a veeeeeery tiny stutter. I checked this by playing a bit without v-sync and the stutter is replaced with well.. screen tearing, so i arrived at that conclusion.

That and the fact that my hdtv "re-adjusts" every time i launch the game (could be cause im running 1360x768 wich aint a heavily used res, or the fact that im running a dual monitor setup) are my only super small gripes that im sharing as feedback more than anything, since they dont really bother me.

Loving the game, controls are super tight and it just feels right, you can see there's been a lot of hard work behind this.

kasavin

ConcealedBlaze said:
In the penultimate scene ...

Hey thank you... yeah, the ending of the game was very important to us from a development standpoint. We didn't know how people were going to take it but we did know that we were going to set aside extra time to try and make it right.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their support for that matter. As a longtime GAF lurker it's been sort of mindblowing. I'll mostly stay out of this so as not to disrupt the discussion but yeah, if anyone has any issues with the game they should feel free to email us via our web site or post to the Steam forums (or here) and we'll do whatever we can to make it better.

God this game is just incredible. ConcealedBlaze essentially took the words out of my mouth really. Every aspect of the game blends together perfectly and I couldn't stop smiling the whole way through.

Late game stuff:
Carrying Zulf to safety is such an incredibly powerful scene. The song that starts playing and everything that happens in those few moments is so incredible. I can't say enough how much I loved that part of the game and I doubt I'll forget it anytime soon. The final choice you have to make in the game sealed the deal though. This is one of the first games I actually felt like I didn't know what to choose. The game lays the consequences before you and it's up to you to decide. There's no morality meter, no good or evil option. You either resurrect the old world or you evacuate. To me there was no better option and I loved that.

Also as someone said earlier in this thread I did kind of expect the game to go the way of revealing the narrator to be the kid from another timeline or something. Glad they didn't. There's a certain mystique about his character that I'm happy to have stay a mystery.

I honestly didn't think I'd have an experience that matched the one I had playing Portal 2 earlier this year, but then I played Bastion.

Jsunu

Banned
kasavin said:
Hey thank you... yeah, the ending of the game was very important to us from a development standpoint. We didn't know how people were going to take it but we did know that we were going to set aside extra time to try and make it right.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their support for that matter. As a longtime GAF lurker it's been sort of mindblowing. I'll mostly stay out of this so as not to disrupt the discussion but yeah, if anyone has any issues with the game they should feel free to email us via our web site or post to the Steam forums (or here) and we'll do whatever we can to make it better.

Woah can you confirm that all the art assets where created by one person? If so GREAT JOB GUYS!!

kasavin

Jsunu said:
Woah can you confirm that all the art assets where created by one person? If so GREAT JOB GUYS!!

Jen Zee is our art director and did all the 2D artwork, yes. She's the only full-time artist on the team. Though the game's art style is very specific, you can see on her DeviantArt page that her range is pretty amazing (at least I think so)...

If I had some wishes I would use them to let me make a damn Fire Emblem games with that there art, I would.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just finished the game. A great title with the best narration I've experienced.
Still, if the character moved a bit faster it would be even better.

LiK

kasavin said:
Jen Zee is our art director and did all the 2D artwork, yes. She's the only full-time artist on the team. Though the game's art style is very specific, you can see on her DeviantArt page that her range is pretty amazing (at least I think so)...

If I had some wishes I would use them to let me make a damn Fire Emblem games with that there art, I would.
Nothing's stopping ya. Just call it Flame Insignia.

hamchan

Bought it on PC even with my huge backlog. Game is definitely a treat on the eyes and the ears. Enjoying the hack and slash gameplay too. Runs smoothly for me, no framerate issues or stuttering.

^^^Also the world needs more pretty Fire Emblem type games.

Dakota47

Steam has an update for the game.

• Fixed an issue causing the game to display unsupported resolution settings in certain conditions
  • Fixed an issue where players could get stuck on a free-floating tile in the The Singer's Dream sequence
  • Fixed an issue where the game was not loading custom-mapped mouse control settings

Kyaw

I just tried the demo again with the motionjoy ps3 controller, it's MUCH better with the controller than keyboard.

Such an amazing game.

kasavin

New update posted, notes here.

I want to call particular attention to a new commandline parameter "-isomovement", which causes the WASD controls to adhere more closely to the isometric perspective -- some players have been asking about this so we wanted to put it out there for their feedback. Details on how to use it are in the patch notes.

did u make this game man? its the best game ive played this year (XBLA) - i think its incredible. i 200/200 the game and i NEVER do that.

i love the graphic style - i wish so many more RPGs looked like that. the controls are amazing and i honestly wish this was a full price game that went for about 25 hours with full towns etc like secret of mana.

love it man kudos!

kasavin said:

Amazing game and amazing art. Props to you guys and to Jen Zee in particular. I dont often decide to buy a game based on the artstyle, but this one was an immediate sell based on that. (Im an artist myself)

And the game turned out to be awesome as well. Great job!

Dakota47

kasavin said:
I want to call particular attention to a new commandline parameter "-isomovement", which causes the WASD controls to adhere more closely to the isometric perspective -- some players have been asking about this so we wanted to put it out there for their feedback. Details on how to use it are in the patch notes.

You guys are awesome, thanks for this.

mileS

kasavin said:
New update posted, notes here.

-nofixedstep fixed the framerate issue for me. Thanks! It does kind of suck for some of the people that got the game and don't follow things like this though. Reading the post on the Steam forums makes me understand why it can't just be patched in for everyone.

just a quick note since the latest patch. I noticed the WB logo overlaps onto the Supergiant Games logo.

V_Ben

Banned
Good grief, this game is incredible. The song... I, well wow. It's just so much fun, and just so filled with heart. A real treasure.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Played a bit more of than demo on PC than I did on 360 and it really started to grow on me. I'm definitely gonna pick this up once I have cleared some more of my backlog.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kyaw said:
I can confirm that the -nofixedstep works! (I only got the demo atm)

60fps locked now.

Works in the full version too... about 1,200 fps without v-sync! I recommend v-sync @ 60 fps though, the animations are all screwed up at that high a framerate :)

LiK

Minsc said:
Works in the full version too... about 1,200 fps without v-sync! I recommend v-sync @ 60 fps though, the animations are all screwed up at that high a framerate :)
1,200fps?? @_@

Aesthet1c

Kyaw said:
I just tried the demo again with the motionjoy ps3 controller, it's MUCH better with the controller than keyboard.

Such an amazing game.

This is exactly what I came to ask. Did you have to do anything special with your motionjoy? I can't get Bastion to recognize my ps3 controller as a connected gamepad :(.

Anyone else had problems?

Kyaw

Aesthet1c said:
This is exactly what I came to ask. Did you have to do anything special with your motionjoy? I can't get Bastion to recognize my ps3 controller as a connected gamepad :(.

I have xpadder as well as Motionjoy.

I'm using the xbox 360 profile in motionjoy too.

iavi

Aesthet1c said:

If you're emulating a 360pad with motioninjoy, go into Bastion's settings and set it to use the gamepad manually. It should work then. That's what ended up working for me.

Loving this game so far. Am I stupid in favoring the machete over the hammer? I love how fast it hits and I just put that upgrade on it that gives it 100% crits, which sounds crazy. Never use the ranged attack on it tho 'cause I roll with the bow.

Ferrio

Banned
shadyspace said:
Loving this game so far. Am I stupid in favoring the machete over the hammer? I love how fast it hits and I just put that upgrade on it that gives it 100% crits, which sounds crazy. Never use the ranged attack on it tho 'cause I roll with the bow.

Soon as I got the machete I've used it instead, have yet to switch back.

Top Bottom