• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Also, what's up with the levels being locked off as soon as you get a crystal from it and leave? I assumed I'd be able to go back and get upgrades and whatever else might be there. Bummed me out to see otherwise.

Minsc

Gold Member
LiK said:
1,200fps?? @_@

Yea, unfortunately that was only in the menus at 1080p, although it's ~2,000 fps at 720p for the menus.

Bastion 2011-08-18 20-05-21-01.jpg

In game is coming up at ~680fps at 720p (with 4x AA enabled mind you), that's gotta be fast enough for at least 5D support I think!

For fun, I ran the game windowed, and checked CPU usage, it only uses about 2-4% of my CPU when locked to 60fps running at 1080p! That's pretty crazy. Total CPU usage while playing the game was as low as 2% (even with a dozen other applications running).

Tokubetsu

Ferrio said:
Soon as I got the machete I've used it instead, have yet to switch back.

Yeah, Machete + Bow was my favored weapon combo. There was just something about the bow, something tacticle that made me feel like I wasn't just pressing/holding down a button.

Red

shadyspace said:
Also, what's up with the levels being locked off as soon as you get a crystal from it and leave? I assumed I'd be able to go back and get upgrades and whatever else might be there. Bummed me out to see otherwise.
I was wondering this too. I like that you're locked out of them on a first playthrough, because it really hits that idea of cataclysmic destruction (once something is gone, it's gone for good), and makes the choice at the end (
restoration vs. evacuation
) that much more resonant. But I don't know what the purpose of keeping them blocked in NG+ is.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I'm buying this on the sole basis that Greg Kasavin is posting here with a motherfucking Sanger Zonvolt avatar
and I liked the demo too

Ionic

I was playing this a lot yesterday on PC with a 360 controller and was enjoying it, but when I started playing today I noticed something was wrong. I can't use the right analogue stick to raise my shield in the stick's direction while standing still anymore. I could have sworn I was able to do this yesterday when I was playing. Now the only way to make the right stick activate my shield is if I am moving at the same time. Has anybody else run into this issue? I grew very accustomed to playing using this and now it's weird having it gone.

Edit: Or am I crazy and was there never actually a way to block with the stick while standing still?

L00P

Freakin' dual pistol challenge is pissing me off. I just can't seem to destroy the targets fast enough. You need 700 points to get first prize, and there are ten targets total, so you need at least 70 points to get in each target, which is bullshit!

The highest I got is around 600. Maybe I should map the attack button to the keyboard. Maybe mashing a button works better than clicking the mouse furiously...

Fuuuuuck, seriously it makes me rage when my finger stops randomly, goddamn shitdamnfuck

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This game would be so much better if the narrator dude didn't talk in that stupid style.

DaBuddaDa

L00P said:
Freakin' dual pistol challenge is pissing me off. I just can't seem to destroy the targets fast enough. You need 700 points to get first prize, and there are ten targets total, so you need at least 70 points to get in each target, which is bullshit!

The highest I got is around 600. Maybe I should map the attack button to the keyboard. Maybe mashing a button works better than clicking the mouse furiously...

Fuuuuuck, seriously it makes me rage when my finger stops randomly, goddamn shitdamnfuck
From *sigh* gamefaqs:

Easy way to do it is to use the spirit that gives you 100% crit rate with less than 33% health, and then just jump off the cliff a bunch of times before picking up the guns. Every shot you do will be a critical and "kill" the dummy much faster netting you more points. You can easily break 800 points doing this.
Also make sure you have the "eliminate bullet spread" upgrade on.

Kyaw said:
I can confirm that the -nofixedstep works! (I only got the demo atm)

60fps locked now.
sweet. just saw this and it works!

now i can fullscreen the game. saw that windowed mode before was locked at 60fps.

Ionic

shadyspace said:
You can use the right stick to shield?!
And it is the most useful thing in the game. As of today I haven't been able to do it in the PC version though. Perhaps a patch broke it? Could another PC Bastion owner using a 360 controller confirm if the right stick works for shield while standing still please?

tm24 said:
Any tips for the Repeater challenge? I cant keep up at the final stretch
(For reference: I only had the first upgrade for the weapon when I beat it.)

From what I remember, the falling floor speeds up on each stretch. It's not based on time but on invisible checkpoints, basically.

So as you're on the second last path. Shoot the targets that you can reach on either side of the last path.

That should make it so you clear some targets on the last stretch without enduring the last stretch's speed, which should give you enough time to roll way ahead and clean up the rest of the targets on said stretch.

Ionic said:
Could another PC Bastion owner using a 360 controller confirm if the right stick works for shield while standing still please?
I'm using a PS3 controller emulating a 360 controller and with that, I can't use the shield while standing still with the right stick, only while moving.

L00P

DaBuddaDa said:
From *sigh* gamefaqs:

Also make sure you have the "eliminate bullet spread" upgrade on.
Wow, I just got first prize using that method. Talk about cheap!

I kinda feel bad using that tactic, but at least I'm done with the bullshit challenge. Thanks, Budda!

Jintor

The only problem I have with this game is that I can pour like an hour trying to make it through the Who Knows Where challenges only to die near the last wave and lose ALL the progress. YAY. Probably some sort of game design reason behind it but all I know is that I just spent an hour on pointlessness.

/edit wait nevermind, the vigils at least transferred with me YAY

eiskaltnz

Wow just started this on PC and I am impressed.
I came in with high expectations (after following its development on Giant Bomb) and I have still been impressed. Art is just what I was expecting, combat is great, the narrator is awesome and the music is amazing (while also being a great surprise).
I cannot wait to play some more!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Phonomezer said:
How should he talk then?
I think his point was that he should just talk like a normal human being. I don't really mind either way, but I can see why others find it annoying.

iavi

thetrin said:
I think his point was that he should just talk like a normal human being. I don't really mind either way, but I can see why others find it annoying.

It's fits the semi-western theme they were going for, I'd say. He hasn't begun to grate on me yet, the opposite in fact.

Salsa

Ionic said:
Could another PC Bastion owner using a 360 controller confirm if the right stick works for shield while standing still please?

I think the patch "broke" that yeah, could use the shield with the right stick when standing still before, now i can only do it while im moving.

Left bumper works fine though

wutwutwut

kasavin said:
New update posted, notes here.

I want to call particular attention to a new commandline parameter "-isomovement", which causes the WASD controls to adhere more closely to the isometric perspective -- some players have been asking about this so we wanted to put it out there for their feedback. Details on how to use it are in the patch notes.
Thanks Greg, this means I can ditch my 360 controller for this game. There are a few platforms which don't align, but the vast majority do, and that's fine. The mouse is so much better at aiming, too. :)

Reikon

The game is from XBLA and uses XNA yet it isn't available on the GFWL marketplace? No wonder nobody uses that piece of crap. As far as I can tell, it doesn't even have search. The only reason I wanted to use it is because I have a bunch of MS points I want to use up.

Jintor

That ending was a doozy! First time in a long while I've sat and stared at a choice screen. Normally I'm not into those at all, but I was fine with it here, for some reason.

Saved Zulf, evacuated the Bastion. I was fearful that we'd been caught in a recursive time loop.

LiK

tm24 said:
Any tips for the Repeater challenge? I cant keep up at the final stretch
If you're having trouble, upgrade the gun and return later. It's a piece of cake with 2-3 upgrades.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh shit, Kasavin worked on this? Can't say I have any experience with his games, but he was the best reviewer at ye old Gamespot. Very tempted to pick this up now...

TheExodu5

Banned
Running it in borderless windowed mode still results in a locked 58fps. Adding the -nofixedstep parm fixed it though.

It's much. much better with -isomovement. The only time where the movement isn't quite right is when going up/down an incline, since the angle changes slightly...don't think there's any way around that, though.

Loving the game so far. Charming as hell.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Phonomezer said:
How should he talk then?
I dunno, just not that mock western style.

I'd easily take tolkien-esque Galadriel style narration over the old dude.

kasavin

TheExodu5 said:
Oh shit, Kasavin worked on this?

Yep. I left the press to be able to do something like this. Took me nearly five years to finally get a chance at it, but at least I finally got my chance.

woah screens look nice on PC in high res

I bought on xbox but now I'm thinking of double dipping for the PC.

Can anyone confirm how much nicer the game looks on PC versus the xbox 360 version?

Nabs

cleveridea said:
woah screens look nice on PC in high res

I bought on xbox but now I'm thinking of double dipping for the PC.

Can anyone confirm how much nicer the game looks on PC versus the xbox 360 version?

It looks really nice, but you should go and play the demo on Steam.

LiK

TheExodu5 said:
Oh shit, Kasavin worked on this? Can't say I have any experience with his games, but he was the best reviewer at ye old Gamespot. Very tempted to pick this up now...

Watch the Building the Bastion videos in the OP. A wonderful journey. ;)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
kasavin said:
Yep. I left the press to be able to do something like this. Took me nearly five years to finally get a chance at it, but at least I finally got my chance.

It's really great and I hope it pays off big for you guys!

Any chance we could get some "official" guitar tabs for a couple of the game's more guitar-centric tracks?

ASilva

Neo Member
This game just blows me away more and more each day.

Specially considering the (very) small amount of people behind it. The recent fuck ups with From Dust just emphasize how good Bastion is not only as a game but how well it is being supported by its devs right from the start.

For such a small team they sure do have a passion and dedication to this project that is unbelievable. The game came out pretty optimized right from the start and they have been turning out patch after patch to address every single little complaint people may have with the game.

I'm loving my experience with the game so far and it's definitely one of my favorite games this year. Fantastic gameplay, voice-acting, AMAZING music and visuals, great writing and story (from what i've seen), everything super polished. The soundtack.... What an amazing pool of talent they have in that little dev team

TheExodu5

Banned
Ferrio said:
Shield challenge is BS! Ugggh, the prize isn't even that cool.

Totally doable. Just got 6 hits on my second turn. The only tricky part is the squirt part, but I think I got it down...just gotta move away from them while you counter.

TheExodu5 said:
Totally doable. Just got 6 hits on my second turn. The only tricky part is the squirt part, but I think I got it down...just gotta move away from them while you counter.
I just rolled through them hah.

kasavin

New update is out, details on Steam. The updated WASD controls are now the default by popular demand. By the way all these changes also apply to the demo for anyone on the fence about trying the game. Thanks for the continued support.

EDIT: Also one undocumented change is a fix to the right stick Shield (using gamepad controls), which a couple folks noticed went AWOL yesterday.

Top Bottom