• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Ferrio

Banned
LiK said:
Machete was easiest for me, go fig.

Same. Fang Repeater was a bitch too. I kept trying and trying and trying. I got up to 62.. but couldn't quite hit the 64.

Then I realized my repeater wasn't upgraded when I finally got the upgrade building. After that it was a cakewalk.

kasavin

Carm said:
Does the soundtrack on Steam have the same tracks as the bandcamp version or does that one have extra ones?

The Steam version of the soundtrack is identical to downloading the MP3 version from Bandcamp. Bandcamp offers additional download formats, that's the main difference -- content-wise the two are identical (meaning you get the bonus tracks whichever one you choose).

kasavin said:
The Steam version of the soundtrack is identical to downloading the MP3 version from Bandcamp. Bandcamp offers additional download formats, that's the main difference -- content-wise the two are identical (meaning you get the bonus tracks whichever one you choose).
Any word on the shield not coming up while standing using the right stick, Greg?

DaBuddaDa

LiK said:
Machete was easiest for me, go fig.
Machete is the only one I can't finish. When they go flying off the edge of the world and you have to toss the weapon to hit them is where I lose it. Throwing the weapon doesn't always connect; sometimes they hover out of the way.

I thought the pike one was the easiest. After running through it the first time, the second go-around was cake.

Ferrio

Banned
shadyspace said:
Any word on the shield not coming up while standing using the right stick, Greg?

I noticed that wasn't working last night, I thought my controller was busted. Did it get broken in a patch?

DaBuddaDa said:
Machete is the only one I can't finish. When they go flying off the edge of the world and you have to toss the weapon to hit them is where I lose it. Throwing the weapon doesn't always connect; sometimes they hover out of the way.

I thought the pike one was the easiest. After running through it the first time, the second go-around was cake.

Gotta make sure to kill them before they leave the center area.

Red

kasavin said:
New update is out, details on Steam. The updated WASD controls are now the default by popular demand. By the way all these changes also apply to the demo for anyone on the fence about trying the game. Thanks for the continued support.
I like you more with each post, and I want you to know that I'm totally behind whatever Supergiant Games puts out in the future thanks to Bastion and your team's continued support. I think it's safe to say that goes for a lot of us.

DaBuddaDa said:

If they make it outside of the spawn point, you've already lost. Just stand there and spam attack.

As for the shield, I got 2nd prize before giving up (on 360). It was too much of a pain due to the auto-targeting shield switching to the wrong enemy and causing me to take damage from projectiles. I kept ending up with 1 hit too many.

TheExodu5

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:

If you're quick enough, you can kill all of them right when they spawn so they're never an issue.

edit: success!

8AEA8EF0B6429993B2061A5A3D4EC4FB6AF0F9A0

edit2: whoa, 2502 currency for that!

DaBuddaDa said:
As soon as you grab the machete you have to beat feet right to where the green dudes spawn and hack the shit out of them. Every other enemy'll come to you.

DaBuddaDa

Crunched said:
I like you more with each post, and I want you to know that I'm totally behind whatever Supergiant Games puts out in the future thanks to Bastion and your team's continued support. I think it's safe to say that goes for a lot of us.
Hear hear. I'm just sad that it will probably be at least two, long years before seeing something new from them :(

shadyspace said:
As soon as you grab the machete you have to beat feet right to where the green dudes spawn and hack the shit out of them. Every other enemy'll come to you.
Oh, I didn't notice different squirts acted in different ways.

DaBuddaDa

I rocked the mortar and the hammer once I got access to the mortar. I like fighting big, slow and chunky. The Bomb Barrage special just decimates everything.

Emitan

I love how everyone always uses different weapon combos. I used the Hammer and the Rifle for the entire game and when I showed my friend the game he went with an entirely different combo. This game is perfectly balanced.

TheExodu5

Banned
Whoa, those yellow towers that shoot the super slow balls...if you Counter the balls, they go around you and home in on you for an insta-kill.

Red

AppleMIX said:
So the fang repeater is pretty god damn amazing. What is another good weapon to go with it?
Something short range and hard hitting, probably hammer or shotgun. Hammer for strength, shotgun for spread.

There are no bad combos though. Even a relatively weak combo like repeater + machete is still insanely fun to use. Every weapon in the game just feels right.

DaBuddaDa

If I have one criticism of the game, the variety of upgrades, skills and weapons are all incredibly unique and deep, but there isn't enough content to really put to good use everything at your disposal. I wish some of the levels were longer, or have more challenge levels were you're fighting monsters instead of completing challenges. New game plus is nice but it's still just the same thing again.

Basically, the worst part of Bastion is that there isn't enough Bastion!

Crunched said:
Something short range and hard hitting, probably hammer or shotgun. Hammer for strength, shotgun for spread.
The musket when you have it fully upgraded and get the double-shot is insanely powerful.

TheExodu5

Banned
Those weapon challenges are incredibly well designed, by the way. After the bow and shield challenges, I'm a pro at using both.

Countering everything is pretty damned satisfying.

Emitan

shadyspace said:
You dudes are rocking duel ranged weapons? Madness!
I kept the hammer with me, but it didn't get much use. Rifle + Exploding shots + the secret skill that gives you an instant skill shot meant I never had to worry about getting up close and could always make an escape.

tm24

DaBuddaDa said:
I find most encounters too hectic to be staring at the Kid's feet, so I'm no good at skill shots. Gots no skill :(
hah, at this point i have the timing down so I don't even look at The Kid. Also, in some cases the screen zooms out and it times perfectly with the flash

Finally got the Repeater challenge done, but it was using the OP tracking shots. Got so much money for finishing the first wave of Proving Grounds. Also got done with the first set of Weapon Vigils. So much money

f0rk

The repeater challenge wasn't too bad, definitely didn't have all the upgrades. Just have to roll twice when reloading every time.

TheExodu5

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
I find most encounters too hectic to be staring at the Kid's feet, so I'm no good at skill shots. Gots no skill :(

You really get a feel for the timing without ever needing to look at his feet.

The timing window for Perfect Shot goes down as you increase the draw speed, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
In the shield challenge, did anyone actually block-counter the last enemy to death, or did everyone just let him dash off the edge like I did?

I blocked him...didn't know you could make him dash off. :eek:

Hammer challenge is way harder than anything else so far. =\

edit: there we go.

Ferrio

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

The destroying objects one? That was reaaaaaly easy. ROLL ROLL SMASH ROLL ROLL SMASH.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TheExodu5 said:

For the hammer challenge I ignored the pro-tip about standing still to swing harder. I just rolled and swung all around the perimeter a few times until it worked out. You don't have to destroy every object because there are more than 100, so that knowledge might help too.

Dakota47

kasavin said:
New update is out, details on Steam. The updated WASD controls are now the default by popular demand. By the way all these changes also apply to the demo for anyone on the fence about trying the game. Thanks for the continued support.

The WASD controls are just right now, thanks.

Kyaw

Woop, got the first prize on the Breaker's Bow challenge. Took me about 10 tries, the first 5 not knowing that a power shot is given when you release the arrow just as your character flash.

The machete is AWESOME.

Ferrio

Banned
GhostRidah said:
playing the game with about 8 Idols activated, Range weapons makes it easy mode.

Turned on 3 idols or something when i first got that place. Went to some dream sequence were a ton of these green balls attacked me all at once. Killed them in one big pack all at once.... they all dropped explosives... insta-gib.

PBalfredo

My favorite set up is rifle and musket. Put both aim speed buffs on the rifle to pull off fast skill shots all day, every day. Anti-armor rounds are very useful in the wilds, and explosive rounds are heavenly in all other cases. The musket is great for crowd control.

I second the sentiment that all the weapons are really well designed. I like how the upgrades keep all the weapons relevant. The repeater, which is pretty meek at stock, is an absolute beast when upgraded with rapid fire + extra rounds + seeking shots.

L00P

Just beat it. Weird ending

I can never get enough of the musket. It just feels great. A fully-upgraded repeater is great too.

Top Bottom