• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

How is the mouse/keyboard? Or should I finally cave and buy a damn wired 360 controller since I never got my dualshock 3 to work on my computer?

EDIT: I'll give the motionjoy another try after this weekend after I'm done with deus ex.

equil

Billychu said:
I don't get the musket/shotgun. Everyone loves it but I can't get it to work. It just seems like it does crap damage.

You just gotta upgrade it. It took alot to get me off of using it, but i finally switched to the last weapon you get.

Loved the ending btw, and i just finished newgame+.

megalowho

TheExodu5 said:
Countering everything is pretty damned satisfying.
It really is. With a couple of complimentary tonics equipped, it feels like a weapon of its own. Loved going through the shield challenge room as well.

DaBuddaDa said:
If I have one criticism of the game, the variety of upgrades, skills and weapons are all incredibly unique and deep, but there isn't enough content to really put to good use everything at your disposal. I wish some of the levels were longer, or have more challenge levels were you're fighting monsters instead of completing challenges. New game plus is nice but it's still just the same thing again.

Basically, the worst part of Bastion is that there isn't enough Bastion!

The musket when you have it fully upgraded and get the double-shot is insanely powerful.

I've got to ask, have you tried beating the game with all the idols activated? Makes it feel almost like a totally different game, and adds a ton of challenging replayability.

On a different note, I love using the Fire Bellows and Galleon Mortar together. I hardly ever touched them my first playthrough, but once they're upgraded and you learn how to use them those weapons can destroy.

Salsa

finished it, loved it.

picked to carry zulf and restoration, since well.. it was the original plan

gonna be doing new game+ soon

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I really found that the Musket and the Pike worked extremely well together. I didn't even consider using them together in my first playthrough but when I picked up the pike again in my new game+ run I never switched it out. Those two weapons fully upgraded with that musket skill that rains hell down from above was a powerful combo.

Really was a great game. I'm sure I will go back to it. But I think I need to stay away from it for half a year so it feels fresh again.

Billychu said:
I don't get the musket/shotgun. Everyone loves it but I can't get it to work. It just seems like it does crap damage.

i use the musket as my "melee" weapon and the mortar as my ranged. i personally think its the best combo. when you have it fully upgraded its deadly. when you have the shot spread out it does awesome damage at close range.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I tried the demo on Steam and...oddly it runs perfectly fine on my netbook. Cool. But the wasd+mouse controls feel really terrible. Do most Steam players use a 360 controller?

iavi

worldrevolution said:
So I tried the demo on Steam and...oddly it runs perfectly fine on my netbook. Cool. But the wasd+mouse controls feel really terrible. Do most Steam players use a 360 controller?

Most seem to be happier with a controller, yah. I'm using one.

Salsa

I used the controller and it was fine.. although i did had some issues with the deadzone, sorta.

Sometimes i would end up facing the wrong side, wasting a shot/hit and breaking my flow of combat. I later found out that i could recreate this by tilting the stick to a side rapidly: most of the times the kid would end up facing the opposite direction.

I figured it was a thing with my gamepad but it only happens with this game, and its literally the opposite of every direction, so i thought the analog stick couldnt be THAT screwed up, specially since the pad is less than a month old.

I later read that they addressed this in one of the patches, but i havent tried to fix it (was really near the end anyway), will try on my new game+ playthrough.

Anyone experienced the same?

Nose Master

shadyspace said:
Machete and Bow are easy as hell, dude.

Machete is the only one so far I've had any trouble with, and I've done everything up to... hammer/revolvers. I only tried it a few times, but I wasn't anywhere near 2nd place time when I tried it last. Whats the best strategy, killing everything you can asap with general melee strikes then just spamming the ranged attack?

Ferrio said:
Turned on 3 idols or something when i first got that place. Went to some dream sequence were a ton of these green balls attacked me all at once. Killed them in one big pack all at once.... they all dropped explosives... insta-gib.

Did the exact same thing. I actually thought it was a scripted death because I didn't realize the explosions were what was doing the damage.

Machete/Musket for life.

XeroSauce

Nose Master said:
Machete is the only one so far I've had any trouble with, and I've done everything up to... hammer/revolvers. I only tried it a few times, but I wasn't anywhere near 2nd place time when I tried it last. Whats the best strategy, killing everything you can asap with general melee strikes then just spamming the ranged attack?

Did the exact same thing. I actually thought it was a scripted death because I didn't realize the explosions were what was doing the damage.

Machete/Musket for life.

Stand in the middle and spam at anything that spawns, try to aim for the green ones that will run away, and once you get about 30-40 seconds in, they stop spawning, so go around and ranged attack those turrets and spawners, as well as any green Squirts that got away.

Kyaw

I got to the part where i am supposed to collect the shards now.

Have i missed that part where the narrator sings along with 'the song'? (it was in the RPS article)

Man, the game is so good. The music <3 <3 <3
All the weapons are satisfying and the combat is simple yet awesome.

M.D

Kyaw said:
I got to the part where i am supposed to collect the shards now.

Have i missed that part where the narrator sings along with 'the song'? (it was in the RPS article)

Man, the game is so good. The music <3 <3 <3
All the weapons are satisfying and the combat is simple yet awesome.

Spoilers.. sort of. Read if you want

I'm not entirely sure where it was.
I'm pretty sure it happens when you're in this small place when you're just collecting a couple of things and then go to sleep on that kid's bed.

I'm not sure how you get there... could be that it happens after the dream you have when you collect the first shard (or just get into the first shard world... don't remember)

Mupod

Oh jesus the homing upgrade for fang repeater + the burst shot ability for the thing turns this game into Bangai-O. It's hilarious.

Also doing Who Knows Where with the idol that gets rid of item drops is apparently not really a good idea.

yarden24

just finished it, did the
saved zolf(he is laying down uncouncious in the bastion before you put the shard in,dont miss him) and restored the bastion,the thing is, the only reason I did that was because I wanted to new game+, and that seemed like the way.
I think it would have been much better if you didnt have an option other then restoring the first time, and only had an option in new game +

that said I enjoyed this game immensly, kasavin you've gained a fan, and I promise to buy Supergiant games next game.

Darklord

Banned
I bought this game on steam. Man, what a great game. The narration REALLY helps because other wise it would be a fairly repetitive hack n slash but with the constant dialog it changes everything.

TheUsual

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
Totally doable. Just got 6 hits on my second turn. The only tricky part is the squirt part, but I think I got it down...just gotta move away from them while you counter.
I had him try to ram me near the cross shaped path on the bottom of the map and fell off the edge.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just realized last night, more than halfway through the game, that for each weapon upgrade you can choose between two options.

I was then filled with shame and regret, having only chosen the left side upgrades for everything. I was also further annoyed by the realization that now I had to make choices about future upgrades without being able to adequately predict the outcomes (not my strong suit).

Then I realized you could switch between pairs of upgrades for free.

Then I realized the game had told me that but I wasn't paying enough attention.

Well, that's my story.

Nekrono

Just finished it, took me about 8.8 hours according to Steam, I felt the game dragged for a little bit but that's because I was bored at that time, overall great experience and I really liked the last level/ending.

Will probably start a new game + soon.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished the Steam playthrough. PC version is definitely the superior one. Improved loading + 1080p makes it an even better experience. There were details in the world I didn't even notice on 360, would be hard to go back. Thank god SGG was so insanely quick with their updates, so that the framerate thing got solved very quickly. Caved and also bought the soundtrack.

I did notice a difference in the Hammer proving ground, or at least I think there was. On 360 this was one of the tougher ones for me, took quite a few tries, even with an upgraded hammer.
On pc I try this for the first time and I plow through the 100 items with extreme ease, I couldn't help but think they tweaked this and made it far easier for pc.

Gonna start a new game + soon, if only to check out the gel cannister. I didn't even know you could keep a turret as a pet.

'I expected Gordon' :eek:

Bad_Boy said:
I wish this was a game was built in the afro samurai universe. The narration is already there.
Ha that would be awesome.

Just beat the game, one of the best of the year, certainly the best sound track of the year for me.

Tokubetsu

Bad_Boy said:
I wish this was a game was built in the afro samurai universe. The narration is already there.

Hahah, Afro Samurai is a huge guilty pleasure of mine (I basically own everything Afro Sam related now...) and I never thought of this. It'd be awesome though.

The game is 8-10 hours long, I didn't complete everything and steam says I beat it in 8.8 hours. Lots more to do plus New game +

More than worth the 15$ purchase.

Kyaw

I totally didn't know that it's 8 hours long. o_O

Only like 2-3 hours in.
Collecting fragments atm
There is more after that?

SO GOOD.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Kyaw said:
I totally didn't know that it's 8 hours long. o_O

Only like 2-3 hours in.
Collecting fragments atm
There is more after that?

SO GOOD.
Yup, that's
just the beginning of the journey

Red

Kyaw said:
Well, damn.

£13.59 totally worth it.
Yep, $15 for a near universally-loved game that's already beating out or hanging on par with titles like Portal 2 and The Witcher 2 for many gamers.

Supergiant done good

C4Lukins

Marco1 said:
Great game on PC.
Is the 360 version 60fps also?
Steam leaderboards ar 35,000, what are xbox live leaderboards at?

About 120,000 last I looked.

Edit: Just looked 134,734 as of this moment.

Love this game, just beat it tonight. Its one of the few games where I feel conflicted on which ending to choose.

I'd like to think that the "Restoration" ending results in a loop, where the Calamity happens again. While Evacuation forges a new past. However, choosing Restoration saves so many lives. Man, be a hero is tough.

Zomba13

Just finished it. Only trial I couldn't get first place on was the Spear one.

Amazing game. Soooooo good. Need to get the soundtrack too.

I (end game spoilers)
Saved Zulf and went for the restoration. Made more sense going into a new game + that way.

Such a great game. Definitely GOTY contender imo. It's got the story, the looks, the gameplay, the music, the design. At least it'll be somewhere on my personal list.
Kinda want to jump right back in on my new game +.

Steaks

I bought this game a few days ago.

Seriously one of the single best purchases I made this year. The graphical and audio quality are beyond superb. Even if the gameplay isn't absolute top notch, when the weakest part of the product is "above average", you probably hit a home run.

Buy this game if you've been on the fence. Seriously.

wilflare

kensk said:
I bought this game a few days ago.

Seriously one of the single best purchases I made this year. The graphical and audio quality are beyond superb. Even if the gameplay isn't absolute top notch, when the weakest part of the product is "above average", you probably hit a home run.

Buy this game if you've been on the fence. Seriously.

i'm still on the fence -bahh!-

Fou-Lu

Just finished the game this morning, loved the first song in the ending credits. Actually, loved all the music in the game. If you haven't bought it yet BUY IT, best purchase of the year so far. (Although Xenoblade might top it, not far enough into it yet to decide)

As for my ending:
Saved Zulf and evacuated. I'm surprised how many people chose restoration. Choose freedom, choose a new future and most importantly, choose the girl who sings like an angel and most likely loves you.

tm24

Oh jesus, rocking new game plus with all but the reflection idol turned on. It's freaking madness. Gonna have to turn off regen once i reach the tazal terminals due to the damn stinkeye nests that take forever to kill.

Rocking the shotgun/bow as my ol reliable. Best combo. Rocketing the multishot as my secret skill

Fou-Lu

My favorite combo was pike+carbine. (Also, anyone else agree with me about the ending in my previous post, or am I crazy?)

Emitan

Ichor said:
Just finished the game this morning, loved the first song in the ending credits. Actually, loved all the music in the game. If you haven't bought it yet BUY IT, best purchase of the year so far. (Although Xenoblade might top it, not far enough into it yet to decide)

As for my ending:
Saved Zulf and evacuated. I'm surprised how many people chose restoration. Choose freedom, choose a new future and most importantly, choose the girl who sings like an angel and most likely loves you.
Restoration makes more sense the first time through.

Top Bottom