• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

feel

I've already posted here praising the game, but it gets even better the more you progress, HOLY SHIT!! :O

It's just sooo goooooooood! :lol

MMaRsu

Damn this game was hard to put down. Gotta get up for work in 6 hours! Good thing working in a video store isn't that demanding :p.

Sanjuro

I'm too slow with the combat. Can anyone reccomend me a challenge map and strategy to getting to 40 combo and the freeflow. I can't get him to do what I need him to do for freeflow at all.

Christopher

I still can't get over how awesome this game is...does anyone also think that having links to TAS helped them a lot too? Paul Dini writing the story/script, plus the amazing voice work from the cast of the show? Even minor characters like Ivy they got her voice I like little things like that it makes the difference.

just beat it.

spoilers about the ending section:
I'm kinda "meh" at the final boss. Turning Joker into a Berserker? Lame. But hey, at least they finally gave Batman a cool piece of dialogue "I'll never let you win" great delivery too.

Game was pretty good. I think it started wearing thing by repeating the "20 dudes vs Batman" sections too many times.
Scarecrow sections were my favorite.
Awesome after-credit cutscene too. Glad to know he didn't go down like a bitch

Finally another well made Batman game.

B+

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm too slow with the combat. Can anyone reccomend me a challenge map and strategy to getting to 40 combo and the freeflow. I can't get him to do what I need him to do for freeflow at all.

The first challenge will work, at least in the final stage. The more enemies, the better. I've got a few 40+ combos without doing anything special, you just gotta hit fast, always counter, and be aware of where the enemies are. What works for be is to strike the enemies in a circle, moving around the group to enemies that aren't attacking and giving the ones you've hit time to get up. The two things that will break your combo are getting hit and not having an enemy to hit, be sure to make countering a priority and to be aware of where the enemies are and when they are getting up after being knocked down. Also, I personally would recommend that you just stick to strikes and counters for the 40 combo, anything else might fuck you up.

batbeg

I must be really slow. I've apparently done 18% of the game and have probably been playing it for 5-6 hours.

SanjuroTsubaki said:

If you're playing it on PS3, I find it easier to rack up combos with Joker, and it can easily be done on the first challenge map, though the third one is good too (I've only done this one with Batman so far, though).

batbeg said:
I must be really slow. I've apparently done 18% of the game and have probably been playing it for 5-6 hours.
Pretty sure the percentage is out of total completion--all Riddler's Challenges, Challenge rooms, etc.

tim1138

fistfulofmetal said:
Scarecrow sections were my favorite.
Awesome after-credit cutscene too. Glad to know he didn't go down like a bitch

Finally another well made Batman game.

B+

For your spoilered part, that
was one of three possibilities for that cut scene. You can see either Scarecrow, Bane or Killer Croc's hand coming out of the water there

Yagharek

Im about 3-4 hours in. I am enjoying this far more than Bioshock for reference, which I think this game is closest to. Such a nice surprise of a game here.

finally was able to play this, about 2 hours in and loving it. not so good at getting the combo meter up just yet.

I have a 360 and PS3 and chose the 360 version just because I prefer achievements. I can't get over giving up Joker challenges though, it eats at me every time I think about the game

ACE 1991

I think I'm going to pick this game up tomorrow. Now that more people have played it I'm (still) interested in hearing impressions from people who aren't batman fanboys.

Haven't touched the challenges yet and I'm only 23% in, but man this is so damn good. I'd play more, but its 5am and my eyes are killing me now :lol I started on Hard so some fights are tough, but nailing them is so satisfying that its totally worth it.

Darkflight said:
Haven't touched the challenges yet and I'm only 23% in, but man this is so damn good. I'd play more, but its 5am and my eyes are killing me now :lol I started on Hard so some fights are tough, but nailing them is so satisfying that its totally worth it.
If you haven't worked out all the kinks in combat I suggest playing the Predator challenges. They're pretty simple and oh so satisfying.

Barakov

Just beat it. Probably one of my favorite games that I've played through this year. I must say I really enjoyed every aspect of this game. The combination between stealth and brawler was just great. The best sequences in the game were definitely
Scarecrow's nightmare sequences and the part where you're traveling through Croc's lair.
The boss fights with
Bane and Poison Ivy
were certainly good, they just didn't match those other two sequences. The final battle with
mohawk Joker
pretty much played out how I expected it to. The game really does a good job of letting you know what to do in a specific situation so as you don't flounder too much. Now, to go back in and finish the rest of the riddles.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
not sure if this has been posted, but...

632648974_Wysws-L.jpg

Jtrizzy

Dude...this game keeps freezing on me in the Control room at the end
after beating Killer Croc

I deleted the game data and am re-installing now. If that doesn't I guess I'll return it to Gamestop. Hopefully it isn't some thing with my 20 gig.

Planning on getting this tomorrow, so which version of the game should I get and why? I just let my Gold sub expire so keep that in mind :D

Alivor

Picked this up earlier tonight, and played for a bit. Seriously awesome game. I think playing on Hard actually makes it more enjoyable. Makes you focus on being stealthy and whatnot.

Kard8p3

So I decided to stop tonight after
croc grabbed scarecrow and pulled him into the water. I have to say that whole section with scarecrow was awesome. I didn't know what was going on but once it went back to the beginning of the game I knew scarecrow must have been responsible.
Anyway this is definitely one of the best games to come out this gen and I really hope they do a sequel of some sort.

Is it possible to do a 100% run through the game and not get enough XP to get all the upgrades? Right now I still have about 7 left to get and it feels like I might not get enough to upgrade everything.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
ridley182 said:
Planning on getting this tomorrow, so which version of the game should I get and why? I just let my Gold sub expire so keep that in mind :D
I got it on PS3 because of the Joker room thing. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
venom2124 said:
I finished the game on hard two days ago and can say without a doubt it's very good. Probably the best comic book inspired game to date, unless I'm forgetting something. But I did not find it perfect as a Batman game. Quick note, I consider myself a pretty hardcore Batman fan and Arkham Asylum is by far my favorite graphic novel. I prefer a realistic depiction of Gotham and its heros and villains over some of the more fantastical elements that are introduced sometimes. For example, I love No Man's Land and War Crimes, but hate the Hush and recent Batman RIP storylines. I also believe that Nolan nailed a cinematic Batman. Bale's Bats and Ledger's Joker are actually my favorite depictions of those characters. With that out of the way, maybe my next few comments will make sense and not seem too nitpicky. Spoilers ahead...

Right off the Bat (sorry), I wasn't a fan of the exaggerated character designs. The atmosphere won me over though, and it was a thrill when the island opened up for exploration. Too many amazing moments to name, but the Crime Alley segment definitely stands out. Little details, like finding the Great White Shark's parts in a jar, helped make this game something special. Thinking back, the only thing I was unhappy about in the first 80% of the game was the handling of Bane. Dini took Batman's most strategic enemy and made him a dumb thug. A dumb thug that needed backup no less. I really was disgusted to see the Batman and Robin Bane. Other than that terrible boss fight, it was a great ride until Poison Ivy showed up.

I hate Poison Ivy. No other way to put it. She's the female Aquaman. Instead of fish, she controls plants. Get the fuck out of here with that. I was annoyed with pods, not because they were troublesome, but because they were a waste of time. Squads of Joker goons should have populated the grounds of the Asylum that late in the game, not immobile plants. Ivy's boss fight was a waste as well. It actually felt like a wannabe Contra boss. And of course she needed backup. I could have tolerated Ivy's whole terrible section of the game if the final boss ended strong. It did not. More of the same, two titans and more backup. Then the kicker. The Incredible Hulk, I mean Joker. Worst designed boss that I can currently think of. He too needed backup. The standout villain encounters, Croc and the Scarecrow in particular, were soley against the villain. No goons needed.

For me, the game seemed to change tone with Ivy's appearance on. While not as dark as the graphic novel Arkham Asylum, it borrowed many elements from the book. All that was thrown out and it felt more like a cartoon tone. Lighter with less menace. I guess Joker's grand scheme, an army of monsters, helped contribute to its cartoon feel. I would have much preferred the Joker have no distinct scheme, merely wanting to trap Batman in the madhouse to prove that the Dark Knight is as insane as his enemies. As I mentioned earlier, some of my disappointment would have been erased if the final boss was strong. I personally feel the devs should have stuck to the graphic novel and put in a second appearance from Croc as the last physical encounter. Fighting Croc on Arkham Asylum's roof would have been an epic ending. Anyone that has read the book can attest to the awesomeness of that fight. And of course, Joker would factor into the ending, just as he does in the book.

I'm aware I sound like I hated the game, but I really did like it. So much fun and such great atmosphere. It's just unfortunate the last quarter or so of the game is so much weaker than the rest.

Reading this, I totally respect these criticisms, because I totally see where you are coming from. I enjoyed reading it. I too loved the game, but if the things you said were altered it would have definitely made it better. Good post.

Zzoram

Man I'm near the end and my hands are so sore from this one fight I keep losing

Joker unleashes 2 Titans and several waves of henchmen from his throne. I keep dying and gave up for the night.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Credits are rolling now, hard was a really good difficulty I thought, game never felt cheap.
I found the two titans before joker really easy, which is cool because I had a lot of trouble with the one you fight earlier with the henchmen. Overall, great game, but the bosses...eh. I don't know why they would make the last boss like that, Joker turning all titan is one thing, but you never really fight him, and the way you hurt him is INCREDIBLY dumb. Other than that, the bane fight is a clone of what's to come, so only really Ivy, who was a decent boss. I really liked the killer croc and scarecrow parts, though.

Now to get the last 25% of riddles and work on the challenges some more, probably even another replay.

Montresor

Does anyone know if Batman's save file is tied to your profile like in Gears Of War 2? As in, you can recover your tag on any system and continue your single player without needing a memory card?

My Elite is broken now, with a 73 system error and one red light. I'm wondering if I should send my hard drive with the system when I call tomorrow to ask for the repair. My hard drive is so precious lol... so many Rock Band songs... and so many scores for each of those songs, though more pressing of all, is my Batman save file.

If the Batman save file doesn't automatically move from system to system as you recover your gamertag, there's no way I'm sending in my hard drive with my system. School is starting soon and there's no way i'll have time to 100% this amazing game when studies kick in.

Zzoram

nourali2 said:
Does anyone know if Batman's save file is tied to your profile like in Gears Of War 2? As in, you can recover your tag on any system and continue your single player without needing a memory card?

My Elite is broken now, with a 73 system error and one red light. I'm wondering if I should send my hard drive with the system when I call tomorrow to ask for the repair. My hard drive is so precious lol... so many Rock Band songs... and so many scores for each of those songs, though more pressing of all, is my Batman save file.

If the Batman save file doesn't automatically move from system to system as you recover your gamertag, there's no way I'm sending in my hard drive with my system. School is starting soon and there's no way i'll have time to 100% this amazing game when studies kick in.

Unless you harddrive is what is broken, they always tell you to keep it. Shipping unnecessary weight is more expensive.

Montresor

Zzoram said:
Unless you harddrive is what is broken, they always tell you to keep it. Shipping unnecessary weight is more expensive.

Interesting, thanks so much for the quick reply.

So, people never send their hard drives in for repairs? I was worried about license transfer mostly. They'll just look at whatever I bought with my gamertag and bam, voila, Microsoft will recognize the new system as the license holder of all of my DLC? Cool if true, because I thought you needed a hard drive to do that.

Anyway, I write "the new 360 they might give me" because it's been more than one year since my purchase / manufacture of my console. Sigh, fuck MS if they ask me to pay $150 for repairs when I call in tomorrow.

Zzoram

nourali2 said:
Interesting, thanks so much for the quick reply.

So, people never send their hard drives in for repairs? I was worried about license transfer mostly. They'll just look at whatever I bought with my gamertag and bam, voila, Microsoft will recognize the new system as the license holder of all of my DLC? Cool if true, because I thought you needed a hard drive to do that.

Anyway, I write "the new 360 they might give me" because it's been more than one year since my purchase / manufacture of my console. Sigh, fuck MS if they ask me to pay $150 for repairs when I call in tomorrow.

Don't pay $150, just buy a Jasper Arcade if you're going to spend that kinda money.

Licenses are locked to the console, not HDD. There is a transfer system done through their website, but you are only allowed to transfer licenses to a different console once per year. You'll have to do the transfer if you want to play your stuff offline, but logging into your Gamertag allows you to play anything linked to that Gamertag.

Spike

Did anyone get the CE version? If you did, would you be willing to share the Crime Alley map? I have an Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Skill/Demo preorder code I'd be willing to share/trade.

Top Bottom