• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Saya

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Anyone have advice on catching counters at the right time in Hard mode? Getting my ass handed to me!

Watch the guys around you. Just when they make a move to kick or punch you press the counter button. It's all about timing, so just practice a lot you will get better at it.

mattso

Saya said:
I need some help, I think I'm stuck.

I'm in at the part where you have to chase down Harly at the penitentiary (the gas filled room after the bomb). I saved the two guards that were hanging above the water with the electric current in it and now I'm stuck. So I can climb to the area above to where the guards are and use the electrical device thing from the edge to reach the switch on the wall below, but when I get the green frequency Batman just puts the device away and nothing happens. The room is still filled with happy gas.

Btw, I love this game. I'm playing on hard and it's like the perfect difficulty. Very challenging sometimes, but also very rewarding.
go across with the zipline and batarang the fan controls like you do in the beginning of the game

Xater

LabouredSubterfuge said:
People with the PS3 version were saying that there were various trailers and documentaries that showed up on the video section of the XMB. It's not coming up for me though. Am I mistaken??

I don't see that either. Maybe it's not on the PAL release?

Kweh

Does anyone know if you can backup the save for Batman:AA on the PS3? I am getting a Slim midweek but would like to start the game today, but I don't think it's worth it if i will have to start over again.

mattso

Revolutionary said:
Definitely not what they're talking about.
oh when you actually
have to save the guards, not clear the room after of gas to get back in. There are several of those devices to crack no?

Zeliard

Ephemeris said:
oh snap. Left the game paused on the Riddler's Challenge menu and dude let out a creepy laugh, followed by "Puzzling.. isn't it."

I'm sure it's been mentioned before.. and :lol @ the continued dialog

Nozdeuce said:
My favorite is when he specifically mentions you going on the internet to cheat :lol

:lol

I love the fourth-wall breaking in this game. It's very Psycho Mantis.

JRW

Doesn't it suck when you finish a game you really like and then pretty much lose the desire to play it anymore. (Of course this goes for just about any single player game) I got all 240 riddles and played through most of the challenges, I was thinking about buying PCs version but not sure if I will now.

Don't get me wrong its still my GOTY :D Guess ill have to wait a year or 3 for the sequel.

Red

Zeliard said:

I love the fourth-wall breaking in this game. It's very Psycho Mantis.
It's so effective, continually impressed me with how much thought and polish went into it.

kaskade

Kweh said:
Does anyone know if you can backup the save for Batman:AA on the PS3? I am getting a Slim midweek but would like to start the game today, but I don't think it's worth it if i will have to start over again.
Try using a flash drive, that should work.

Definity

I'm not that far into the game but the
scarecrow
sequence was probably the best gaming experience I've had this year. Rocksteady nailed every aspect of this game. And is it just me or is the pacing damn near perfect in this game?

Red

Definity said:
I'm not that far into the game but the
scarecrow
sequence was probably the best gaming experience I've had this year. Rocksteady nailed every aspect of this game. And is it just me or is the pacing damn near perfect in this game?
Yeah, there's always something new to blow you away. It's really great.
i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Anyone have advice on catching counters at the right time in Hard mode? Getting my ass handed to me!
Don't jam the attack button, only hit it once. "Y" you can hit as many times as you want until Batman initiates the counter. Just watch for attack animations, and immediately hit "Y". Batman will usually stop whatever combo he's in and switch immediately to the most pressing threat. This doesn't work perfectly, and some of his abilities (batclaw, batarang, takedowns) won't go into a counter right away, so you'll have to make sure the area around you is clear if you want to use one of those.

kaskade

acevans2 said:
This game is up there with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune as a "It's rated TEEN!?" game.
I was thinking the same thing, not even so much the violence, just the overall theme of the game. It's very dark and depressing.

MercuryLS

Banned
Just beat it a few minutes ago, awesome awesome game. Here's hoping Rock Steady makes enough money to make a sequel. I can't believe I got it for $40, what a steal.

Red

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I was thinking the same thing, not even so much the violence, just the overall theme of the game. It's very dark and depressing.
I'd agree with you except for the fact that
no one dies during the game, and it's not like you're a misunderstood hero: everyone and their mother wants to gain your approval, looking to help in any way they can. Bruce is getting beat up a lot, but really the only very "dark," oppressive moments occur during hallucinations-- possibly the reason that the Scarecrow encounters are so effective and memorable. I know Rocksteady was bound by the limits of canon, but imagine how you'd feel if after the first Scarecrow fight you retraced your steps and found Gordon's body still slouched there. I'd guess that would be a really powerful scene, but I do think they did a great job using the license. The Joker is very sardonic, but his best moment, for me, was the first encounter in the visitor area. How creepy was that?

I think the best thing I can compare it to is The Dark Knight. There, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, the atmosphere was so damn oppressive I was never sure if any major character would live or die. Here, I can be reasonably sure nothing very bad is going to happen to anyone except the expendable guards and thugs, who were so generic they seemed to be pouring out of some vat of clones. The atmosphere is certainly "Batman," but it's not morally dark or ambiguous. Everything is too clear, the right and wrong too staunchly established. It is dank, it is gloomy, and while it's tangibly dark in that it is set at night in many unlit areas, it doesn't really affect me in the same way something like The Dark Knight did. I don't want to sound like I'm saying it didn't "live up to the movie," because that's not really the point; I just think their strengths lie in different areas.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Mainly because people keep uncharacteristically using the word "bitch" all the time.
Oh man, this too :lol

Got so out of hand near the end.

KaYotiX

Banned
MercuryLS said:
Just beat it a few minutes ago, awesome awesome game. Here's hoping Rock Steady makes enough money to make a sequel. I can't believe I got it for $40, what a steal.

Beat it lastnight and its this years "Bioshock". SP game of greatness!!!! I hope it gets a good sequal too. This is the Batman game i think we all wanted :D

Oh and all the boss fights kicked ass!!

JRW said:
Doesn't it suck when you finish a game you really like and then pretty much lose the desire to play it anymore. (Of course this goes for just about any single player game) I got all 240 riddles and played through most of the challenges, I was thinking about buying PCs version but not sure if I will now.

Don't get me wrong its still my GOTY :D Guess ill have to wait a year or 3 for the sequel.

Oh you will buy it alright, you will buy it and you will LIKE IT DO YOU HEAR ME!!!!

ThePeacemaker02 said:

Mainly because people keep uncharacteristically using the word "bitch" all the time.

kaskade

Crunched said:
I'd agree with you except for the fact that
no one dies during the game, and it's not like you're a misunderstood hero: everyone and their mother wants to gain your approval, looking to help in any way they can. Bruce is getting beat up a lot, but really the only very "dark," oppressive moments occur during hallucinations-- possibly the reason that the Scarecrow encounters are so effective and memorable. I know Rocksteady was bound by the limits of canon, but imagine how you'd feel if after the first Scarecrow fight you retraced your steps and found Gordon's body still slouched there. I'd guess that would be a really powerful scene, but I do think they did a great job using the license. The Joker is very sardonic, but his best moment, for me, was the first encounter in the visitor area. How creepy was that?

I wouldn't say that how many dead guards are there[spoilers]One thing I remember was one time when the 2 guards got gunned down outside the vent and he said i have children or something along those lines[/spoiler]. Also I just thought the whole feeling of Arkham was dark and dreary feeling. I loved it though, it reminds me of BioShock in the way the environment was handled.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
First question: "Where the fuck did you guys come from?!"
Seriously. Who the heck are these Rocksteady dudes where the hell have they been? I'm going to be watching them closely from now on since this game has blown my mind. :lol

kaskade

NightBlade88 said:
OK Gaffers who've beaten the game without question the best fight is unanimously
Scarecrow
right?
I wouldn't exactly call it a fight but the sequences are amazing. I'm coming home today from a little getaway and the thing I'm most excited to go is to play some more batman.

BeeDog

I'm so ridiculously pissed that my copy didn't get here yesterday. Now I'll have to wait until monday (or even later!) to play this game, gah.

Amir0x

Banned
Arkham Mansion Spoilers:

When I left the one room and the hallway started turning into a dark, rainy alley... and I turned into little Bruce Wayne... my mind was fucking blown. Truly one of the best sequences in a game ever.

This game may end up a top 25 games of all time contender.

Ok, i'm officially a 'tard - I just spent the past few hours fretting that my PS3's GPU was about to go bust, all thanks to the
Scarecrow section in Intensive Treatment
. Man, I feel like an idiot - as soon as the screen
went all pixelated
I just shut my PS3 off, fearing the worst so I didn't see the stuff afterwards :lol Really cool section, but man that had me worried.

Riducle as necessary :p

Volcynika

Bootaaay said:
Ok, i'm officially a 'tard - I just spent the past few hours fretting that my PS3's GPU was about to go bust, all thanks to the
Scarecrow section in Intensive Treatment
. Man, I feel like an idiot - as soon as the screen
went all pixelated
I just shut my PS3 off, fearing the worst so I didn't see the stuff afterwards :lol Really cool section, but man that had me worried.

Riducle as necessary :p

I was
going "NO WHY DOES MY PS3 HAVE TO SCREW UP!" during that :lol

Reminds me of
Eternal Darkness insanity thing where it started acting like it was formatting your memory card

T'Zariah

Banned
If all licensed games were treated this good, I'd probably wouldn't even bother buying games like MW2 and Unchated 2. I'm serious.

KAOz

Short bus special
Such an amazing experience. Love this game so so much. The atmosphere is just breathtaking, and all the little easter eggs are just wow.

Though, I'm not sure if I will ever get the trophies for stringing together a 40-combo, and the get all medals for Combat in Challenge Rooms.
Something with the combos have just not clicked, and somtimes, he just goes out of the combo.

Anyone got tips?

Finished it last night. This game is a serious contender for GOTY. It is to Batman games what The Dark Knight was to Batman movies. Probably the most finely crafted experience since Resident Evil 4 -- though, like that game, the final boss seriously falters compared to the rest of the game's encounters. Yet the rest of the game is such a great experience, the fault is extremely minor. And to think this game came out of nowhere, from a developer with only one prior game to their name. Arkham Asylum raises the bar not only on all future superhero/licensed titles (you ARE the goddamn BATMAN), but on some ways on action/adventure games in general. Sound a bit grandiose? Try it yourself and see.

Time to go back and find the rest of the Riddler puzzles and try my hand at the Challenge Rooms.

Amir0x said:

Oh, without question. Rocksteady has really captured the veritable tiger by the tail in every way with Arkham.

It's already in my personal Top 10...and as time passes could easily find it's way into my all time Top 5.

Volcynika said:

I was
going "NO WHY DOES MY PS3 HAVE TO SCREW UP!" during that :lol

Reminds me of
Eternal Darkness insanity thing where it started acting like it was formatting your memory card

360 owners might have freaked the fuck out, expecting RROD or something! :lol
I bought a new HDTV a few days ago so when that happened, I said "FUCK!! NO NO NO NO NO!" :p

Amir0x said:
Arkham Mansion Spoilers:

When I left the one room and the hallway started turning into a dark, rainy alley... and I turned into little Bruce Wayne... my mind was fucking blown. Truly one of the best sequences in a game ever.

I let go of the controller when that happened. He just.... stood there :(

calder

Finished the story last night. Great great game. :)

Spent another 2 hours getting all the Riddler puzzles done, really love the way continuing the game had you tidying up the loose plot points after the game ended; it felt like a perfect coda to the story rather than just running around picking up stuff you missed for the trophies.

Now onto the challenge rooms. Played one Batman and one Joker map, really like the little variation that the Joker brings to it. Also nice to rattle off a 49 hit combo to unlock the 40-combo trophy first time as the Joker, holy shit that guy moves fast and counters in like half the time Batman does. :lol

Barrett2

Well, I just finished playing GOTY. Incredible from start to finish.

Im' the goddamn Batman.

The number of times the game successfully messes with you as the player are incredible.
At the end when you walk past the 20 guards in the hallway, all clapping for you. Could you attack them? I didn't even try, I just slowly walked on.

lawblob said:
Well, I just finished playing GOTY. Incredible from start to finish.

Im' the goddamn Batman.

The number of times the game successfully messes with you as the player are incredible.
At the end when you walk past the 20 guards in the hallway, all clapping for you. Could you attack them? I didn't even try, I just slowly walked on.

the answer is yes

TheFreshPrince

Ok, I'm not a huge Batman fan.....so here's a question:

Is there a good lore-based reason as for why Batman just doesn't
kill/apprehend Harley Quinn after rescuing Gordon? I can see why he wants to avoid casualities, but doesn't Batman realize that by letting Quinn go, he's actually risking more death? Couldn't he have at least locked her up somewhere within Arkham?

Kuraudo

Banned
It's a nice little touch how
your costume gets more and more beat up as the game goes on. Walking around with a torn cape and clothes just looks so badass.

lawblob said:
There's an achievement/trophy for doing so. :D

The fight in
Joker's throne room
is incredibly frustrating. I think I still suck at this game. Anyone have any advice?

Volcynika

sevenchaos said:
There's an achievement/trophy for doing so. :D

The fight in
Joker's throne room
is incredibly frustrating. I think I still suck at this game. Anyone have any advice?

It took me a couple tries. My methods:

Always ALWAYS listen for the sound a titan makes before rushing you. They apparently won't rush at the same time, you just have to keep your distance during the fight. Try to lead the normal enemies away and fight them, and also keep your ears open for a rush, and when you hear it , do your double tap left trigger or w/e to throw a batarang (it automatically goes for the titan that's about to rush, at least for me it did) and then dodge pronto. If you can make it to a dazed one without taking much (if any) damage, go and get on the back of one and attack other enemies. As long as you keep yourself aware of where all the other enemies are, you should be able to get through with not too much damage.And don't go for fancy takedowns or any sort of that, you'll become very vulnerable.

MMaRsu

Can anyone resize this :

200ux55.jpg

To avatar size for me? I want to use it as my temp avatar :D

Top Bottom