• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

LosDaddie

Banned
Finished fighting
The Joker
last night and started the 2nd Catwoman sidequest before I go to
stop Protocol 10
. Feels like I'm getting closer to the end.

Great game.

Ricky_R said:
K thanks.. I played AA on the 360 and it ran well, so I was wondering how well this one runs on the PS3 considering it uses UE and I have to buy the PS3 version.

Both versions are good. It just comes down to controller preference. For me, it's always the X360 version.

BeeDog

Finished the game today. Firstly, the game felt extremely cumbersome in the beginning, but after forcing myself to play the game more, I was struck by its awesomeness. So much fun just to progress through the main missions; the interior locations were so much more interesting than the outside areas, and some of the plot developments that forced changes upon the game world reminded me of older, more involving games that dared to put the player in varying circumstances.

The biggest complaints I have for the game are:

1) The main quest is surprisingly short. Felt pretty blueballed when the last boss showed up and the ending was shown.
2) The bosses (aside from
Mr. Freeze
) felt extremely gamey and silly, especially
Ra's al Ghul
. Also found the last boss (and the plot point) terrible. Most of them were based on you using one particular gadget repeatedly, and I didn't like it.
3) Batman still controls like a tank, especially in interior locations, and the control scheme is overly complicated if you want to get good combos. Games like InFamous and Uncharted has spoiled me when it comes to controller responsiveness.

Other than that, awesome, awesome game. The beginning is too heavy-handed and overwhelming, but when you power through that, the game really sets its hooks in you.

RPGCrazied

So, ummm. Where are those DLC episodes? Wasn't that news story like in June? If they are true, like Kevin said they were, shouldn't they be out fairly soon? Or at least out before the holiday season. Sounds like a good business decision to have some meaty DLC along with the main game people are going to be getting for Christmas.

Curufinwe

BeeDog said:
Finished the game today. Firstly, the game felt extremely cumbersome in the beginning, but after forcing myself to play the game more, I was struck by its awesomeness. So much fun just to progress through the main missions; the interior locations were so much more interesting than the outside areas, and some of the plot developments that forced changes upon the game world reminded me of older, more involving games that dared to put the player in varying circumstances.

1) The main quest is surprisingly short. Felt pretty blueballed when the last boss showed up and the ending was shown.
Mr. Freeze
Ra's al Ghul
. Also found the last boss (and the plot point) terrible. Most of them were based on you using one particular gadget repeatedly, and I didn't like it.
3) Batman still controls like a tank, especially in interior locations, and the control scheme is overly complicated if you want to get good combos. Games like InFamous and Uncharted has spoiled me when it comes to controller responsiveness.

Other than that, awesome, awesome game. The beginning is too heavy-handed and overwhelming, but when you power through that, the game really sets its hooks in you.

You can get good combos just by pressing X and Y.

UrbanRats

isW4Rz1vnWVzp.jpg

Oh for fuck's sake.

overcast

UrbanRats said:
isW4Rz1vnWVzp.jpg

Oh for fuck's sake.
Jesus christ. That's awful :\

So, ummm. Where are those DLC episodes? Wasn't that news story like in June? If they are true, like Kevin said they were, shouldn't they be out fairly soon? Or at least out before the holiday season. Sounds like a good business decision to have some meaty DLC along with the main game people are going to be getting for Christmas.
I doubt we get them this year. I just don't see it since they haven't announced anything officially. They need the hype to build. Probably early next year. I want it badly though.

lucius

I am about 70% done with New Game + and really like the difficulty in this mode than the normal game, only at one point did I get stuck for a bit.

I wanted to know for ppl that played the Hard mode is it even harder than New Game+ or about the same?

LiK

lucius said:
I am about 70% done with New Game + and really like the difficulty in this mode than the normal game, only at one point did I get stuck for a bit.

I wanted to know for ppl that played the Hard mode is it even harder than New Game+ or about the same?
From what I read, NG+ is Very Hard mode.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what's a good upgrade path at first? I got the combo crit helpers and some armor of each kind. I imagine I will leave Catwoman unlocks last.

I love this game, although unlike Asylum, it seems to throw you out there more than before.

Also, whats the key combo to do glide, dive, then rappel then glide before rappel gets you on a perch? I am trying the AR challenge 3. So I do X and back to glide slow, then hold R2 to dive, then R1 to rappel but I hop on the ledge before I can let go and glide some more.

LosDaddie

Banned
AndyD said:
So what's a good upgrade path at first? I got the combo crit helpers and some armor of each kind. I imagine I will leave Catwoman unlocks last..

Do all the Batman armor upgrades first. Then I'd go with extending the hacking device's range. Then the critical strikes combo upgrade....Might not be the correct wording there, but you get the idea. After that, I found the Batclaw Gun Disarm upgrade very useful.

vixlar

AndyD said:
So what's a good upgrade path at first? I got the combo crit helpers and some armor of each kind. I imagine I will leave Catwoman unlocks last.

I love this game, although unlike Asylum, it seems to throw you out there more than before.

Also, whats the key combo to do glide, dive, then rappel then glide before rappel gets you on a perch? I am trying the AR challenge 3. So I do X and back to glide slow, then hold R2 to dive, then R1 to rappel but I hop on the ledge before I can let go and glide some more.

It is Advanced or Normal AR?

Anyway, I don't recall using the rappel in any AR.

LosDaddie

Banned
Finished the game last night. Underwhelming. :(

Maybe I played AA too recently (back in Feb of this year) though. But AC just didn't "wow" me like I was expecting. The game is great, and I'd recommend it to any gamer, but it won't be my GotY. It's weird though, because I think AC is a better game than AA.

After all the fuss made about it, I found the Catwoman DLC kinda boring. The Challenges were fun, but not something I'd spend a lot of time with. And I'm not really that interested in the Nightwing or any future DLC episodes.

I've been playing for a few hours and have a couple questions.

I know how the riddle machines work but how do you get to those on the side of buildings etc? And how does the flashing ? work? Actually i lied, i don't fully understand how they work. When standing on certain ones i hear something but i don't see where its coming from.

This one trophy thats locked away has 4 ? scattered all over the place. How am i suppose to solve this? I hit one but by the time i climb to the roof to the second one its too late? Am i doing it wrong?

Do the riddles still pop up on the screen telling you which one is available in the area? I haven't seen anything like that yet. What about the riddlers voice reading out loud the riddles?

Also, does anyone feel theres too many villains/characters in this game? They should've kept it simple like AA. What are they going to do for part 3? And i don't like how some are presented. Why is bane there as a side mission? Turned me off.

Edit- That pic reminded me. Where the hell does catwoman fit into all this? I downloaded the "fuck you pay me" catwoman download and she just radomly appears in the game.

RickD

No Way on earth this is a 10/10 game. Maybe if the controls worked properly, its rediculous how over complicated the controls are, why do i have to press a button to run?? also sometimes he will randomly jump and roll or climb onto somthing, usually into the line of fire. Its taken me longer to get to the end just because of the rubbish controls

Im trying to like this game, but its so frustrating as i feel like im handicapped.
Im supposed to be batman, but it feels like im Drunk Batman.

also Wouldn't mind if i got a change from Room of guys, linear path, room of guys with gimmick, linear path, room of guys, etc...

oh well..

Kung Fu Grip said:
I've been playing for a few hours and have a couple questions.

I know how the riddle machines work but how do you get to those on the side of buildings etc? And how does the flashing ? work? Actually i lied, i don't fully understand how they work. When standing on certain ones i hear something but i don't see where its coming from.

This one trophy thats locked away has 4 ? scattered all over the place. How am i suppose to solve this? I hit one but by the time i climb to the roof to the second one its too late? Am i doing it wrong?

Do the riddles still pop up on the screen telling you which one is available in the area? I haven't seen anything like that yet. What about the riddlers voice reading out loud the riddles?

Also, does anyone feel theres too many villains/characters in this game? They should've kept it simple like AA. What are they going to do for part 3? And i don't like how some are presented. Why is bane there as a side mission? Turned me off.

Edit- That pic reminded me. Where the hell does catwoman fit into all this? I downloaded the "fuck you pay me" catwoman download and she just radomly appears in the game.

Most riddles with Fluorescent Question Mark lights require the use of batarangs (remote or quick) or explosive gel to accomplish and maybe a little bit of detective vision as well. If you are talking about the same 4 question mark one I am thinking of then you need to put explosive gel on 3 of them and stand infront of the fourth. Set off the explosives and do a quick batarang on the last one.

You get the ability to see the location of remaining riddles by
interrogate Riddler henchmen, the green highlighted guys

You can also check which Riddles (trophy and scan riddles) are in an area/buidling by going to the pause screen and its on of the selections.

GekigangerV said:
Most riddles with Fluorescent Question Mark lights require the use of batarangs (remote or quick) or explosive gel to accomplish and maybe a little bit of detective vision as well. If you are talking about the same 4 question mark one I am thinking of then you need to put explosive gel on 3 of them and stand infront of the fourth. Set off the explosives and do a quick batarang on the last one.
I think thats the one. The first one is on a lower level. Then i have to climb up for the second one and the others are on the far right of that one. Jeez.

You get the ability to see the location of remaining riddles by
interrogate Riddler henchmen, the green highlighted guys

You can also check which Riddles (trophy and scan riddles) are in an area/buidling by going to the pause screen and its on of the selections.

Yeah i know about the riddle info in the menue. I just thought depending on where you are it would show on your screen like AA. But it seem those types of riddles are not in this game? Or am i not far enough?

Im at the subway station. Talk about atmosphere. :)

RickD

catabarez said:
Isn't that the formula for like... every game?

I guess :)

But i think i just expected a different game. It would have been nice to have the option to skip past encounters using stealth or exploration a bit like Deus Ex.

It goes from an "open" world style game where you can drop in and out of combat and do what you want to These linear buildings which force you into clearing a room. To be honest that wouldn't have mattered as much if I didn't find the controls as frustrating as they were so im probably being overly harsh due to that.

ShinAmano

Any word when the alt outfits will be available to purchase? They need to know that other games are coming out and the window to sell DLC is closing.

Scapegoat

RickD said:
I guess :)

But i think i just expected a different game. It would have been nice to have the option to skip past encounters using stealth or exploration a bit like Deus Ex.

It goes from an "open" world style game where you can drop in and out of combat and do what you want to These linear buildings which force you into clearing a room. To be honest that wouldn't have mattered as much if I didn't find the controls as frustrating as they were so im probably being overly harsh due to that.
Spend some time learning the combat system - once you have it down it feels great to calmly walk into a room, have the goons freak out and charge you, drop a smoke pellet and tear them apart.

I AM THE 99%

Just have to finish a couple more side missions in New Game Plus and I'll have the Perfect Knight Day 2 achievement :D God that last predator campaign was a raging bitch

But fuck I love this game. One of my favorite games ever. I'm pissed it's taking so long for the alternate Batman skins to come out though, because I've already experienced everything the game has to offer multiple times.

Also I really wish you could keep doing New Game Plus over and over. I started another file that I'm rushing through just so I can do NG+ again

Regardless, being the goddam Batman has never felt so good

ShinAmano

Mr. Paer said:
I AM THE 99%

Just have to finish a couple more side missions in New Game Plus and I'll have the Perfect Knight Day 2 achievement :D God that last predator campaign was a raging bitch

But fuck I love this game. One of my favorite games ever. I'm pissed it's taking so long for the alternate Batman skins to come out though, because I've already experienced everything the game has to offer multiple times.

Also I really wish you could keep doing New Game Plus over and over. I started another file that I'm rushing through just so I can do NG+ again

Yeah Dec 6th is way too long...those outfits should have been locked only for a month max.

overcast

Mr. Paer said:
I AM THE 99%

This is why I saved my NG+ for after the game rush, I'll beat Skyrim and Skyward Sword then start in on it. That way I can play as Batman Beyond.

Vyer

Some folks are struggling with the controls? I'm surprised. I'm on 360 for this one, but considering the wide range of options rarely do I feel like I'm not doing what I want to do in combat. And moving through the city is pretty much easily done and without issue. They aren't 'perfect', but certainly don't hinder me from feeling like the freakin Batman. haha

Labadal

Finished the game just now. Really enjoyed it, especially the indoor sections wich I loved. Main story was a bit short, but there's lots of content and the side quests are good enough. I'd say it's my GOTY, but I have played so many great games this year, that I don't know wich to choose anymore. My stats are at 56%, will finish up some more side quests and challenge rooms.

Sober

Wellington said:
Dunno where else to post this but any idea when the PC version will unlock on Steam? Seen 15th and 18th.

When will it preload?
22nd in NA, 25th in Europe it seems.

Dunno if we'll see a preload, even if it is 17.5GB large. It isn't a Steamworks retail title.

Kinyou said:
I'm curios, can you play New game+ with the alternative outfits?

yes. From my experience, not in the beginning because there is a mandatory cutscene of which you become
the goddamn batman
. Once that's over, I could choose the alt skin

Is there some trick to getting the perspective question marks? I swear I line them up perfectly and they won't register. It tells me they require a "special perspective." I'm doing it the same way I did it in AA... What's changed?

Hi. This is my first post in this thread. I just beat the game and am currently doing some side quests. I just wanted to post some impressions:

Game of the Year.

Thank you, good night.

BeeDog said:

Mr. Freeze
Ra's al Ghul

WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE INSANE. Every boss fight in this game was infinitely better than the fights in Arkham Asylum.
Ra's Al Ghul
was the best fight...epic, variety of gameplay style (unlike
Mr. Freeze
, which was still a great boss battle). Plus, how would you expect to fight
him
, given the circumstances? I think Rocksteady took advantage of it and had some fun.

Top Bottom