• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Phanatic8390 said:
So does this get harder on Normal?

I just started a game and it seems way to easy to dispatch entire groups of enemies. I switched it to Hard and I get absolutely destroyed.
I played it on Hard from the start. It's fine except for one or two chokepoints, but those are also some of the most satisfying parts of the game, so I'd recommend it.

Worth pointing out the combat is as hard as it will ever be in the beginning, because you simply don't have the moves and equipment available.

On the Hard vs Normal topic, I'm playing NG+ on Normal and it does get hard enough. I can't imagine how NG+ is on Hard.

neorej said:
How for the love of everything holy, including tuesdays, can you get to the three medals on combat maps? Am I overlooking something or is it insanely high?
I play on normal, BTW, do you get higher scores on hard?
Not sure how the others do but that's how I consistently did it
Basically, once your combo counter hits 40-50, your points will go through the roof, because each basic strike will net you 400-500 points (10 x your counter).

There are probably other approaches but pulling a high counter seems easy and rewarding to me. When I redid every combat challenge in campaign mode, I often got enough points on the 4th round itself. And I'm honestly not particularly good.

Palette Swap said:
On the Hard vs Normal topic, I'm playing NG+ on Normal and it does get hard enough. I can't imagine how NG+ is on Hard.
My understanding is NG+ is its own difficulty setting. It doesn't have a 'normal' and 'hard' within it.

Although so far it just feels like Hard with counter icons turned off and more armoured enemies.

RPGCrazied

So close! I have 399/440. Having trouble with one close to the steel mill.
Its one of those you have to fast dive and hit the plate to make the arrows hit the ?. I can get them all lit up except the ? itself. I can't get any higher for the drive where this is at.

eshwaaz

braves01 said:
I played AA on Normal and did fine, so I thought I would bump it up to Hard for this one and I got my ass kicked in about the second fight and have been dying with some frequency. I hope there aren't any real choke points that make it impossible for me to finish.
This is exactly why every game should let you change difficulty settings mid-game. I'd much rather sacrifice an ultimately pointless achievement/trophy than have a difficulty spike ruin the experience.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
RPGCrazied said:
So close! I have 399/440. Having trouble with one close to the steel mill.
Its one of those you have to fast dive and hit the plate to make the arrows hit the ?. I can get them all lit up except the ? itself. I can't get any higher for the drive where this is at.

had troubles with this too, turns out that Shockwave adds to the impact ;)

foladar

How's the difficult on this compare to hard on AA? Shouldn't be too difficult playing this on hard then, right? Picked it up during that Target BOGO sale, but played through AA first.

Tsukumo

Mr. Paer said:
439/440

Fuuuuuuu

If you cannot find it on the map is probably one of the riddles/trophies placed inside one of the buildings. Once there are no more green thugs on the map it means each one of them has been pointed out.

Tsukumo

sophora said:
kind of wish there was a combat map with endless waves..

the downloadable maps, Joker challenge and Penguin challenge, all work that way. Hopefully they won't wait six months to release them like it happened with Asylum.

bryehn

Up to the last? Catwoman part. Decided to go for her trophies now...a couple questions.

1. I've read somewhere that you can switch from BM to CW in Warehouse 5b. Do I need to finish the game for this? Don't wanna NG+ 'till I've got all 440.

2. How do I get back into the steel mill as CW? Only open door leads to the water part you need the Freeze Blast for.

Thanks. Man I love this game haven't been playing anything but since it came out.

bryehn said:
Up to the last? Catwoman part. Decided to go for her trophies now...a couple questions.

1. I've read somewhere that you can switch from BM to CW in Warehouse 5b. Do I need to finish the game for this? Don't wanna NG+ 'till I've got all 440.

2. How do I get back into the steel mill as CW? Only open door leads to the water part you need the Freeze Blast for.

Thanks. Man I love this game haven't been playing anything but since it came out.
1. You can continue playing the game even after you're done with Batman and Catwoman's segments so don't worry about it.

2. Also the helicopters should've blasted out a chunk of the Steel Mill allowing access for Catwoman.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm kinda surprised we haven't heard any teases about further DLC yet. I guess they're waiting til after the Nightwing and Robin sets are out for the general public.

neorej said:
had troubles with this too, turns out that Shockwave adds to the impact ;)
Yeah, and if I recall, waiting til the last second to use the shockwave is what you need to do. Doing it right away doesn't help.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finished the game. Liked it overall but it definitely lacked the tightness and cohesion of AA. Same way I felt about Dark Souls recently as well. 2009's triple GOTY sequels haven't beaten that almighty year as far as I can tell (Uncharted 3 up next on my playlist).

This game definitely had better boss encounters though, and swooping and gliding were fun but I didn't feel the open world added much to the feel of the game, the map design felt 'wrong' in a way that made getting around it more of a struggle than fluid. Waaaaay too much shit assigned sloppily to the D-Pad as well. D-pad diagonals for some of the games most important gadgets? Especially on the 360's crap one, a chore.

Got all the Riddler trophies apart from one or two combat challenge ones that seem finnicky to pull off.

RPGCrazied

Finally got the file closed on the Riddler. Man, that was pretty anti-climactic. I guess they ran out of ideas for the end or something.

ultron87

I'm really enjoying the game, but the idea of
Ra's having a rather impressive temple just chilling under Arkham City
is pretty ridiculous. But ya know, comic books. So, whatever.

cackhyena

Tsukumo said:
the downloadable maps, Joker challenge and Penguin challenge, all work that way. Hopefully they won't wait six months to release them like it happened with Asylum.
What? Have these been advertised?

BeeDog

So, I got sidetracked from this game by Dark Souls and Uncharted 3, but now that I finished those games, I figured I'd give this game another chance (since my first impression was so-so). Skipping the sidequests was the best thing I could do; now I'm pretty hooked by the main story missions. I've reached the
Mister Freeze
boss and am amazed at how much better this boss fight is than any boss fight from Arkham Asylum. The options you have at your disposal are amazing.

comrade said:
I wish you were able to build your own combat map. Choose the level, enemy types, number of enemies and modifiers.

Uh..can't you do that? I haven't played with it but I know there is an option for making custom scenarios.

Rattles

Having finished AA 2weeks ago one character I wished the used more of was "AC spoilers"
Clayface. And boy that boss fight fucking awesome!

BeeDog

Gotta say, the boss fight against (second boss fight spoiler)
Ra's al Ghul
was pretty damn awful. The horrible art direction and the overall über-gameyness was simply too much. Felt completely out of place and a poor attempt at a
surreal
boss fight like the one found in Arkham Asylum. Definitely the low-light of the game so far.

Curufinwe

Trin3785 said:
got an xbox and a ps3 code for batman beyond skins
quote and lemme know which system

Meh, too late.

Can someone give me a hint for the second part of the
Deadshot
sidequest? I go to the point marked on the map and there's nothing around it.

hayejin

Curufinwe said:
Meh, too late.

Deadshot

Look for
small tripod

Rattles

Curufinwe said:
Meh, too late.

Deadshot
He's on the ground i think.. Or Its the one with a bunch of grunts standing around.

oh my bad.. What he said ^^

Curufinwe said:
Meh, too late.

Deadshot
Second vic is on a bridge to the east of the radius. Detective mode helps.

Perfect Knight Day 2 done. 100% on everything Batman.

I've started the Catwoman combat challenges and hit a snag at Funhouse Brawl Extreme. Essentially for 3 reasons: can't break weapons, the whip attack isn't as good at crowd control as the batswarm and she can't ride big enemies. It's not undoable but clearly more difficult than Batman's challenges.

Palette Swap said:
Perfect Knight Day 2 done. 100% on everything Batman.

I've started the Catwoman combat challenges and hit a snag at Funhouse Brawl Extreme. Essentially for 3 reasons: can't break weapons, the whip attack isn't as good at crowd control as the batswarm and she can't ride big enemies. It's not undoable but clearly more difficult than Batman's challenges.
I don't break weapons. I use spam the sweeping attack. Then I focus on the big enemies, country, spam sweeping attack

Not being able to ride Titan is a bit annoying...but that sweeping attack, spam it!

BeautifulMemory said:
I don't break weapons. I use spam the sweeping attack.
That's what I usually do but the 2 Titans and the hammer guy make it a bit harder. The whip attack has stopping power but won't disarm enemies while the leg sweep disarms enemies but apparently won't stop the big guys.
Catch 22.

I'll probably get through with a mix of both.

Palette Swap said:
That's what I usually do but the 2 Titans and the hammer guy make it a bit harder. The whip attack has stopping power but won't disarm enemies while the leg sweep disarms enemies but apparently won't stop the big guys.
Catch 22.

I'll probably get through with a mix of both.
I use the sweeping attack to free the regular enemies from me, then use the gap to stun the big guys. Usually by the time another enemy approaches me I can do another sweeping attack

Btw gfj on the trophy. You rock

5rydK.jpg

1CPY8.jpg

Tsukumo

cackhyena said:
What? Have these been advertised?

the Penguin map was available in advance for those who purchased the limited edition. Joker's was available to people who bought the game from Gamestop (in the Us). Since the limited edition cover says "early access" to the Penguin map, I figured sooner or later both maps will pop out as dlc.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
789shadow said:
Hmm, I can't find the Tyger camera hub for Amusement mile.
I had a hard time finding this one for some reason too. IIRC, it's
just west of either the GCPD building or the Krank building
. On a roof, of course.

I appreciate the lack of a gimme button prompt, but I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to enter a certain building after forgetting that Batman could slide.

Now I will continue with the shame of knowing I went to the internet for help, after which will follow the shame of being ashamed of such trivial matters.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Dan said:
I had a hard time finding this one for some reason too. IIRC, it's
just west of either the GCPD building or the Krank building
. On a roof, of course.

it's just across from the GCPD if I recall correctly

Top Bottom