• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

I'm just over an hour in and so far I'm not liking it at all. The story and setting just pales in comparison to Arkham Asylum. The open world setting seems like a horrible idea, and I just don't like the prison being a city within the city. Stupid idea.

I might warm up to it, but so far it's really disappointing.

I'm just over an hour in and so far I'm not liking it at all. The story and setting just pales in comparison to Arkham Asylum. The open world setting seems like a horrible idea, and I just don't like the prison being a city within the city. Stupid idea.

Those two issues don't get fixed throughout the game :/.

Oreoleo

Those two issues don't get fixed throughout the game :/.

At least once you get the (minor equipment spoiler)
grapnel boost
it makes traveling around the city quicker and more enjoyable.

FWIW I was sort of lukewarm to the first hour of the game but it grew on me a lot. I've put about 30 hours into it now and am having no trouble finding enjoyment just traveling the city finding Riddler trophies.

zeitgeist

So I just beat the game for the first time and I have to ask... Are there alternate endings? I feel like by the end there was too much closure in the sense that
A lot of people died right at the end

I was wondering if someone could just let me know if that is it for the storyline or should I keep playing and finish the other missions in order to reveal a bit of an epilogue (especially regarding
Joker and Talia.

All in all it was a great game. I kind of wish that I did more side missions before finishing it off but oh well.

Grisby

So I just beat the game for the first time and I have to ask... Are there alternate endings? I feel like by the end there was too much closure in the sense that

I was wondering if someone could just let me know if that is it for the storyline or should I keep playing and finish the other missions in order to reveal a bit of an epilogue (especially regarding
Joker and Talia.

All in all it was a great game. I kind of wish that I did more side missions before finishing it off but oh well.
As far as I can remember thats it. No other quests pertaining to the main story.

f0rk

At least once you get the (minor equipment spoiler)
grapnel boost
it makes traveling around the city quicker and more enjoyable.

Is it possible it miss this? I almost finished it today
still got to do the Catwoman vs Two-Face room post credits
and I either missed the explanation or didn't get it.

I did no sidequests or riddler stuff, did I miss much there?

Sectus

Joker and Talia.

I'd recommend doing the side missions. They don't add to the epilogue, but they set up some stuff which will be the basis for DLC or the next game.

Regarding alternate endings:
The only alternate ending is during Catwoman's third episode.

zeitgeist

Okay thanks for the info. I figured the
Catwoman decision would have changed a few things

I guess I am just a bit surprised with how things ended. I will for sure finish the side missions just to see how everything plays out.

Oreoleo

Yea, that particular upgrade is awarded when you finish the augmented reality training missions IIRC.

Dabanton

So you didn't have the Grapple Boost? Boy you missed out on a great upgrade.

I'd suggest to anyone playing this fresh as soon as you can do the first set of AR missons that gifts it to you. As for the sidequests i'm thinking about the identity murders and Your friendly stalker ones are both worth doing.

And give us an insight into what the third game will probably be going with..

Varna

Some parts of the story are getting pretty damn stupid. Having to
fight Mr. Freeze but in the very next scene they are are buddy buddy
. Just finished the
Joker boss battle a the steel mile. Why did Talia offer to help the Joker in exchange for Batman? Why not just... you know, kill him herself?
Does this ever get explained?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK CATWOMAN'S EPISODE 4 ON NEW GAME +.

I'm done with this game. Just got the Twice Nightly achievement, now I want to go through and get Riddler challenges and finish sidequests with Batman on New Game +, but no, I have to go through the GODDAMN
Two-Face
fight, and no matter what I do he keeps getting stuck on the bottom level where there's no way for me to take him out.

I loved everything about this game, but this is basically game-breaking for me. People who bought this game USED don't have to suffer through this shitty mission, whereas I do. Thanks for forcing me to go through this crappy mission, Rocksteady.

finally put a good six hours into it. After the first hour or two, game has really clicked and now I find it on par with AA

although the free roaming definition is incredibly generous, lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK CATWOMAN'S EPISODE 4 ON NEW GAME +.

I'm done with this game. Just got the Twice Nightly achievement, now I want to go through and get Riddler challenges and finish sidequests with Batman on New Game +, but no, I have to go through the GODDAMN
Two-Face
fight, and no matter what I do he keeps getting stuck on the bottom level where there's no way for me to take him out.

I loved everything about this game, but this is basically game-breaking for me. People who bought this game USED don't have to suffer through this shitty mission, whereas I do. Thanks for forcing me to go through this crappy mission, Rocksteady.

Finally beat it. UGH. What an awful encounter all around.

So i should be getting this game in the mail tomorrow. Quick question: is the Catwoman stuff worth it? Would I be missing anything of significance by not paying for the catwoman sections of the game?

Doomrider

So i should be getting this game in the mail tomorrow. Quick question: is the Catwoman stuff worth it? Would I be missing anything of significance by not paying for the catwoman sections of the game?
If you're in a situation where you have to buy the online pass, it's definitely not worth it. Sure, you get a new character for the challenge rooms, but her part in the story mode is pretty weak and uninteresting. After beating the game 3 times, I uninstalled her DLC and I don't regret it at all. I'd even go as far as saying that the game flows better that way.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Do not pay for the Catwoman DLC. Absolutely not worth it. The game actually flows better without the random breaks to Catwoman (as Doomrider mentioned above), and the 4th Catwoman level is the worst encounter in the entire game.

I do like having her for the combat challenges, but I wouldn't pay for that either.

cackhyena

Holy shit are you and I on opposite ends of opinion here. Metrodvania shit can die. I've had enough to last me a lifetime. Unless it's in the form of a Shadow Complex, in which case I just lied.

Finished the game and just trying to finish up some some side stuff, with the Riddler, do I need to just keep collecting trophies to open up his quests?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Do not pay for the Catwoman DLC. Absolutely not worth it. The game actually flows better without the random breaks to Catwoman (as Doomrider mentioned above), and the 4th Catwoman level is the worst encounter in the entire game.

I do like having her for the combat challenges, but I wouldn't pay for that either.
Note that the PC version automatically has the Catwoman stuff integrated in, at least on Steam. You wouldn't even think she was supposed to be DLC if you never knew otherwise.

painey

I agree with this too. I feel like they are just throwing everything at me, especially starting with all the gadgets from the last game. I hope it gets better but right now it's too much too soon.

iirate

I agree with this too. I feel like they are just throwing everything at me, especially starting with all the gadgets from the last game. I hope it gets better but right now it's too much too soon.

Yeah, I felt overwhelmed at first, too (and this is someone that 100% completed AA), but everything felt pretty natural by the end. Great game.

Varna

The only part of the open world design that is kind of bad is how the side quest are designed. The main plot pushes you forward and it always feels really odd going after side jobs (especially at the end of the game with everything going on in the city).

I don't understand how this game is "open world." It's just a bigger AA with a free-roam element. It still pretty much a metroid/zelda type game.

Wish they could have gotten
Ras Al Ghul's
TAS VA. This one just pales in comparison.

Game designers just can't win. They open the game up and give you options and it's "OMG TOO MUCH STUFF I'M OVERWHELMED". They hold your hand and it's "FU LET ME FIND MY OWN WAY". Does this game really dump that much on you if you've played AA? You get your grapple, batarangs, explosive gel and batclaw, along with a couple of the more ancillary gadgets that you don't really use until later. Are these such obtuse devices that we can't figure out what they are used for?

Varna

Game designers just can't win. They open the game up and give you options and it's "OMG TOO MUCH STUFF I'M OVERWHELMED". They hold your hand and it's "FU LET ME FIND MY OWN WAY". Does this game really dump that much on you if you've played AA? You get your grapple, batarangs, explosive gel and batclaw, along with a couple of the more ancillary gadgets that you don't really use until later. Are these such obtuse devices that we can't figure out what they are used for?

Hell no. This is one of the best things about this game. It doesn't give a shit if you are a newcomer, this was made for fans of the original. Even the enemy numbers, encounter variety and frequency seem to be made for people who played and were already pretty damn good a AA.

Sectus

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the Catwoman stuff is great. It adds to the story and playing as her is a nice change of pace. She's also a lot of fun to play as in the challenge mode (far more challenging to play as than Batman).

Yeah I thought starting with lots of gadgets would be cool but there's no real sense of progression. I know it's cliche to lose all of your kit early on, but eh, it works better than this.

I'm going to play more today so hopefully I start enjoying it more.

you'll soon wish you had a certain gadget from the beginning. Don't worry, game steers clear of giving you everything too soon...well, pretty soon

Holy shit are you and I on opposite ends of opinion here. Metrodvania shit can die. I've had enough to last me a lifetime. Unless it's in the form of a Shadow Complex, in which case I just lied.

Yeah, but open-world games, now there's a genre that's barely been explored recently.

Arkham Asylum is the superior game in every regard.

scitek

Still, Arkham City was such a great Metroidvania game... it's a real shame they decided to change the direction.

Holy shit are you and I on opposite ends of opinion here. Metrodvania shit can die.

Do not pay for the Catwoman DLC. Absolutely not worth it.

There's not a lot of Catwoman stuff, but yes, it definitely adds value to the whole package.

tape_stfuexjr3.gif

Fry

Loved the game, but I feel Arkham Asylum was slightly better. They should have never made it 'open world' IMO.
Still, both are one of my favorites of the gen so far.

Challenges look a lot better this time, and you can use Catwoman and Robin... should be fun.

Bumhead

Banned
Just done the
Ras Al Ghul
section. That's the weakest area, character and boss encounter of the two games so far, for me. Not sure if that's because I've had a ton of problems with the PC version in this area so generally just feel disconnected anyway, but I got quite annoyed of that whole section really quickly.

Hoping the game picks up again quickly now that bits done.

Finished this yesterday, and I loved it. AA felt a tad bit tighter, overall. However, AC is a juggernaut with almost TOO much content -- if there's such a thing.

I think fewer Riddler trophies and more unique riddles to solve would've alleviated most of the complaints around here. The sidequests involving Deadshot and the other villains were amazing and refreshing.

Sidenote: Is Nightwing the "win" button? I mean, I did a few challenge rooms with him and--aside from being fun to play with--his move set makes him almost impossible to hit. The slow-motion effect for his hits lasts longer than anyone else's and gives you plenty of time to plan your next move.

Fry

Can you use different suits in New game plus? If so, are they unlockable or do you need to buy them?

I just started it and didn't see any option. Oh, and I have another question: besides not having to look for all the trophies/challenges again, is there any other change to the story?

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it weird that smoke bombs and counter are assigned to the same button? Can be a bit of a nuisance during crowded encounters.

Seda

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it weird that smoke bombs and counter are assigned to the same button? Can be a bit of a nuisance during crowded encounters.

Yeah but the smoke bomb option will only show up in context if a thug grabs a gun and is about to start firing at you.

Top Bottom