• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

I had put in an even 40 hours, and just completed the long task of completing every single thing possible, collecting the final Catwoman trophies and wrapping up the AR training; I had all green arrows tracking my progress in the Riddler section. I was left with just one final thing to do -- go get Riddler, who had I saved for my final act in Arkham City.

Looking forward to taking him down, I fired up my machine last night to go get that taunting bastard and discovered he had pulled his most dastardly trick yet -- the asshole somehow made my save disappear and much to my horror I was facing 0% progress in the main menu

Beyond frustrated, I searched online for a solution. The tricks I found didn't entirely work and for some reason I couldn't restore the save file in the Steam App Data folder to a previous version (it was there but the restore option was greyed out). However, I was finally able to manually copy one and overwrite the current file.

It worked to a degree -- I probably lost 8-9 hours of tedious trophy collecting which I will have to do once again, but if I had been truly dropped to 0%, I would have never played the fucking game again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Does it matter if I choose not to
save Batman
as Catwoman in the vault sequence?

You have to. If you choose not to the game 'rewinds'. Try it for yourself.

Skilletor

Finally finished. Loved the open world aspect. Freedom of exploration and control makes for the best Batman 'experience' ever. Gorgeous graphics and presentation. Perfect hybrid of simplicity and skill for the combat system. Story had a lot of good points. Strange was a good pick for the antagonist. I liked the Riddler challenges, as I had to actually do something, whether it be a reflex challenge or use an item in creative ways, to get most of the trophies. Mostly cool side quests with good cameos.

Didn't like the lack of focus over Arkham Asylum, particularly the weaker main mission variety, shorter main quest, and lack of Metroidvania exploration. Felt like a smaller game in that respect. Too many characters and not enough exposition for what is otherwise a good plot hurt the story. I still don't like Batman's voice actor.

I think I liked it more than Arkham Asylum. Maybe. The open world aspects make for the most enjoyable 'open world' I've ever played. Best super hero simulator ever that is basically perfect for simulating what it would be like to be Batman. Main quest had it's good points but I miss the tighter design of Asylum and greater variety.

I hope for Arkham World or whatever the inevitable Batman 3 is they don't try and make it even bigger. Arkham City is the right world size. Keep it as it is, but focus more on a greater variety of main missions with more rooms to clear, more locations to visit, and better set pieces. Making the open world even bigger will just dilute the interior missions further and I don't want that.

Oh, and Catwoman was a painfully wasted opportunity. Excellent combat system that makes her a legitimate alternative to Batman. Loved pouncing, climbing and her fast speed. Awful characterisation and four forgettable, phoned in missions completely ruined her.

I agree with everything but not liking Batman's VA.

How can you not like Conroy? The mind boggles. But I have nostalgia goggles, maybe. I haven't liked most of the interpretations in the DC movies because I can only hear Conroy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It could be the script and the voice coaching, but Conroy's delivery makes Batman sound like a tool. A dick. I really like Miller's interpretation of the Dark Knight, and even Bale's portrayal, as I've always seen Batman as kind of crazy. This rich guy hell bent on fighting crime due to some fucked up shit that scarred him as a kid. He dresses up as a goddamn bat and uses gadgets to fly around the city scaring the living shit out his enemies.

Arkham Asylum/City Batman's seems like it's all serious business. Too serious, and like he's only there to ruin everybody's fun, and do so in the lamest way possible.

I normally love Conroy's work, even as Batman, but I just don't like him in the Arkham games.

Shiv47

It could be the script and the voice coaching, but Conroy's delivery makes Batman sound like a tool. A dick. I really like Miller's interpretation of the Dark Knight, and even Bale's portrayal, as I've always seen Batman as kind of crazy. This rich guy hell bent on fighting crime due to some fucked up shit that scarred him as a kid. He dresses up as a goddamn bat and uses gadgets to fly around the city scaring the living shit out his enemies.

Arkham Asylum/City Batman's seems like it's all serious business. Too serious, and like he's only there to ruin everybody's fun, and do so in the lamest way possible.

I normally love Conroy's work, even as Batman, but I just don't like him in the Arkham games.

I think it's totally the script. Batman has zero personality in the game, basically issuing threats and telling the various villains to step down or whatever. He is incredibly boring, even with Alfred. The portrayal of the character is very similar in spirit, if toned down, to The Brave and the Bold animated series, but the show has other characters playing off Batman's no nonsense demeanor. In AC, at least as Bruce Wayne he gets the joke about millionaires at the very start.

Skilletor

That makes sense. I felt the same way about his characterization. Spoiler about a character he meets in the story:
The interaction with Robin was incredibly awkward for me.
I didn't like it at all.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So I went back to Arkham Asylum after enjoying Arkham City so much, because I didn't get enough, ya know. Some comparisons:

Graphics fidelity in AC really was stepped up more than I had noticed. The environment has less distinction, but the textures and details are handled better. Plus there's Batman himself and the character models. There are times in AA when batman looks like a well-detailed plastic action figure. Most of the animation when he is talking and interacting with other characters looks way better in AC. In AA things are kind of wooden.

In retrospect, it's nice in AC to have things to break with your batarang other than clattering teeth. Then again, in AC many of these I didn't discover until I started going after them. In AA, Joker would leave packages around with the teeth in them, drawing attention to them.

AA had "comic style" portraits of all the characters in their bio screens. Sometimes the art just didn't fit the look of the game. I like how all the art in AC fits the style of the game.

The "forensic trail" mechanic was used a lot more frequently and to better effect in AA. The "detective vision" switching modes and colors until you found the blood trail or whatever, the way it was persistent on your map, all of these touches are part of the reason AA felt more directed and AC felt less directed. That said, I'm still glad detective mode was nerfed for AC, because in AA you could just be cruising, see everything clearly, and forget you had it on.

It's really hard to top the awesome Scarecrow content in AA. AC didn't even approach it as far as mind-bending, unexpected sections. Something like that needs to make its way into the next one.

The mini-batcave in AA was a nice location, and someplace like that was missed in AC. But gliding down to it in a cutscene highlights the part of "being Batman" that isn't in this game.

It's funny to go back and play AA and simply not be able to get up to certain rooftops. The go-anywhere freedom of AC gets very apparent. Speaking of rooftops, climbing Wonder Tower and the battle with the guards in there in AC was a top-notch crescendo, and beats most anything in AA. That sense of altitiude! Though it was a bummer when I went back there later for trophies, even though I could see the rest of Arkham City, I couldn't just glide down to it from that height!

Finally, AA, for all its triumphs, really was a lot of hallways in structure. For Arkham City to capture such an excellent fast-travel gliding mechanic, have you feeling like Batman and getting around the city the way he would, is a triumph that makes me forgive it's flaws. Next title needs to somehow be both of these things.

So what do you think, should I go play Batman: Dark Tomorrow next? ;)

vixlar

But.. but.. that's Batman!!!

Batman is cold, and "boring". Batman is a tool, almost a robot. He doesn't laugh, he doesn't make James Bond phrases. He only ruins the fun for villains and good people. And kick asses. That's why he needs Robin and Alfred. Robin for the childhood he never had. Alfred for the parents he lost. When Robin or Alfred make a joke, he pretends to not give a fuck... but that is because he is the goddamn Batman.

EatChildren

I don't get that from this Batman though, and that's the problem. Batman doesn't come across as a robot, or soulless nightmare machine. He comes across as a tool, an asshole, being a bit of a prick about everything rather than being cold and menacing.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

This is just crazy talk. Bale's portrayal made him such a growling tool he couldn't even say something dramatic when needed. We all saw that part in The Dark Knight when Heath Ledger carried the scene for him. I can agree with the Miller interpretation, and liked Michael Ironsides doing the voice-work for it in the "Tales from the Dark Knight" scene from TAS. But the reason Kevin Conroy keeps getting the work is he does the best job, hands down. A few of the DC animated movies have had some good performances, Crisis on Two Earths comes to mind, but Conroy always delivers.

He did the voice for Hush in AC too, ya know. Maybe what you're reacting to is that AC didn't have much in the way of plot that really affected Batman. You'd think the threat to his identity would have unnerved him more.

I'm replaying AA now and there are a lot of nuanced moments, like when he's
under the affect of Scarecrow gas, find a body he thinks is Commissioner Gordon's, and calls Oracle to break the news to her.
Honestly there weren't any moments like that in AC. That has more to do with the script than the voice actor. Those moments are fewer and smaller but they are there, like when
he wants to go after Talia, but Alfred has to insist that he stop Protocal 10 first.

I would say it's a fair criticism that the script in AC doesn't have Batman affected by the situation as much as we'd like. If they could make his vocal performance show the same wear as his costume, that would be ideal.

Sober

Also the somewhat lame "I don't have time for this" preambles in challenge maps are kinda weak compared to if you try to do something in NG+ before you should (i.e. hack the wonder tower elevator or try to enter the museum at the start of the game), his "I don't have time for this"-like phrases.

The only predator medal I absolutely hate is "Bulletproof" in Lost City (extreme). Also, I do not understand what unearthly being can do some extreme maps in a minute or less with 3 medals. That just boggles my mind sometimes.

That one is easy; get the two other medals and then go back to the alcove where you start the challenge and Remote Batarang everyone off ledges.

I agree with everything but not liking Batman's VA.

How can you not like Conroy? The mind boggles. But I have nostalgia goggles, maybe. I haven't liked most of the interpretations in the DC movies because I can only hear Conroy.
Just my opinion but I've always felt the overwhelming Conroy love was largely down to nostalgia goggles. You have a huge group of fans who grew up with Conroy as Batman's voice and they can't imagine it any other way.

I don't think he's terrible or anything but I prefer Bruce Greenwood's Batman. More intimidating and intense.

Imbarkus

Just my opinion but I've always felt the overwhelming Conroy love was largely down to nostalgia goggles. You have a huge group of fans who grew up with Conroy as Batman's voice and they can't imagine it any other way.

Bah. I grew up with Adam West and Michael Keaton. Nostalgia goggles have nothing to do with it.

AiTM

Banned
This has probably been addressed. But Im not getting GFWL achievements on the Steam version. I am signed in, and have gotten most of the achievements, they will pop up when I first get them, but wont show up on my profile afterwards. Its really annoying.

Also, seeing all of this game save disappear stuff, is there anyway to avoid this? Is it known whats causing it?

Irish

I don't get that from this Batman though, and that's the problem. Batman doesn't come across as a robot, or soulless nightmare machine. He comes across as a tool, an asshole, being a bit of a prick about everything rather than being cold and menacing.

I think it's totally the script. Batman has zero personality in the game, basically issuing threats and telling the various villains to step down or whatever. He is incredibly boring, even with Alfred. The portrayal of the character is very similar in spirit, if toned down, to The Brave and the Bold animated series, but the show has other characters playing off Batman's no nonsense demeanor. In AC, at least as Bruce Wayne he gets the joke about millionaires at the very start.

The bolded is one of the things I don't think I'll ever understand. I see very good, humorous characters being described as having zero personality when they are far more lively than most other characters, they just go about it in a far more subtle way. Both AA/AC Batman and Altair have been described this way, yet those are probably two of my favorite characters from this generation. It's probably because I'm a 'dick' like them, but they way they say things and the actions they take amuse me to no end.

More often than not, the characters with the most 'personality' always seem really fake to me. It's like that in real life as well. I see it as a loud and obnoxious mask. I don't know. Differing views I guess.

I was surprised after reading through about 76 pages or so of the thread so far to see where people were having the most trouble. I breezed right through the AR challenges and Riddler trophies. I thought they were quite nice.

One of my favorite things about AC was all the new dialogue that the thugs would spout after every story mission completed. There was tons and tons of it, even post game. Best use of that in any game ever, I think.

Don't go to the DC forums with this post. I am fairly certain they would put a hit out on you.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Everyone is dumb as fuck in Arkham City, Bats a dick, Alfred's a passive-agressive biatch, Oracle blurts out dumb shit, Robin is a pussy...

Love the game but the story is so bad it's good to me.

I dont usually need to ask for help with a game, but I spent about 20 minutes trying to get out of a room last night and couldnt figure it out. Maybe I was just too tired to figure it out.

Early game spoilers

I'm doing the early Joker mission

I rescued the doctor and got the electrical gun but now I cant get out of the room. They welded the door shut that I came in through so I tried the other door on the same wall but the gun wont get the door to open. I power up the motor and the door just rattles but wont open. I checked the room on the other side by where I rescued the doctor but the only thing in there was a Riddler trophy. What am I missing?

Sober

I dont usually need to ask for help with a game, but I spent about 20 minutes trying to get out of a room last night and couldnt figure it out. Maybe I was just too tired to figure it out.

Early game spoilers

I'm doing the early Joker mission

I rescued the doctor and got the electrical gun but now I cant get out of the room. They welded the door shut that I came in through so I tried the other door on the same wall but the gun wont get the door to open. I power up the motor and the door just rattles but wont open. I checked the room on the other side by where I rescued the doctor but the only thing in there was a Riddler trophy. What am I missing?
Did you use the quickfire button combo? Don't do that. Actually pull out the gadget (select it and aim with LT/L2/RMB) and fire it because it has two firing modes (AC and DC I guess). When you mouse over certain items with it, there are two options with what to do with it.

I don't really get into the challenge maps stuff but I've had a lot of fun using Robin and Nightwing. Is it too much to hope for a GTA4-style DLC episodic mini-campaign where you switched back and forth between the two?

It could even take place during AC -- just what those two were up to at the time... I guess the same way GTA4 handled it.

Did you use the quickfire button combo? Don't do that. Actually pull out the gadget (select it and aim with LT/L3/RMB) and fire it because it has two firing modes (AC and DC I guess). When you mouse over certain items with it, there are two options with what to do with it.

I was aiming it but didn't notice that there were 2 firing modes. Only needed to aim and left click to get the trophy in the other room so I guess I figured there was only one way to use it. Thanks for the help.

I finished the story relatively quickly after launch, did some side quests and didn't play again due to all the other games that where released at the time. I'm now looking to go back and finish up the side quests before starting a new game plus.

I read some people at the time commenting that after completing the story some side missions could not be completed or wouldn't trigger at all. Is this true? And if so which ones?

I was aiming it but didn't notice that there were 2 firing modes. Only needed to aim and left click to get the trophy in the other room so I guess I figured there was only one way to use it. Thanks for the help.
I made the same mistake trying to get into GCPD. I was stumped. And later embarrassed.

I'm about to get this game. Is there anything in terms of content I should know about. I know there are lot of pre-order this, playable that, but not sure what constitutes what, i.e, new versus used as some difference etc.

Also, are the ps3 and 360 versions same in terms of content and performance?

Hyunkel6

I'm about to get this game. Is there anything in terms of content I should know about. I know there are lot of pre-order this, playable that, but not sure what constitutes what, i.e, new versus used as some difference etc.
Redeem the Catowoman DLC (if you buy a new copy) before you start the game since it is part of the main story. The other bonuses/DLCs are skins and combat challenges.

Redeem the Catowoman DLC (if you bought a new copy) before you start the game since it is part of the main story. The other bonuses/DLCs are skins and combat challenges.

Does this come with the PC version? I've already had missions where I play as the cat woman, but I thought the cat woman dlc I heard about was some extra cat woman missions I would have to pay for separately.

I love the combat in this game :p feels great with mouse and kb

I just uploaded this

http://youtu.be/2wbRgerxT_I

LOL at that one guy you backed into a corner.

Y0SjT.gif

GQman2121

Banned
Nice combo. Which combat challenge is that?

Wayne Manor DLC.

That 2x combo shit is the key to some of the combat rooms. You really only need two buttons to achieve huge points.

I wish the consoles had Youtube uploading. I don't understand why more games don't offer that feature. The tech has been around forever this generation.

Nori Chan

So the Arkham City twitter asked "what do you think the joker is up to on friday the 13th?"

Maybe a hint for an easter egg? There's probably some stuff we don't know about this game.

Top Bottom