• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Also, I want more Batman now. I have never been a comic book fan, so my whole Batman experience consists of the 2 Nolan movies and the 2 videogames. Can anyone recommend anything else Batman related (other than comic books, not gonna go there yet) that is recognized as completely awesome?

The Animated Series was the first modern cartoon series to truly be able to say it was mature and dark. It came at a time where cartoons were just starting to become infantized (Animaniacs non-withstanding). It really was something else.

Did TAS ever do the Joker origin story? I don't remember. Not sure if i've ever seen that handled correctly...

Or does he even have an origin story? Never read the comics, but i'm just now noticing this.

I mean, maybe they have ran across him spilling into a vat of acid, but never gone into detail about his "rise to power" or how he even became a criminal. Probably the wrong thread to ask this in, but i'm not sure if there are any current TAS threads.

Search is my friend I guess.

Ferrio

Banned
Did TAS ever do the Joker origin story? I don't remember. Not sure if i've ever seen that handled correctly...

Or does he even have an origin story? Never read the comics, but i'm just now noticing this.

I mean, maybe they have ran across him spilling into a vat of acid, but never gone into detail about his "rise to power" or how he even became a criminal. Probably the wrong thread to ask this in, but i'm not sure if there are any current TAS threads.

Don't think he's ever had a concrete origin story, one of the things that makes the joker... joker. Even in Dark Knight they do this, when his origin stories he tells people are completely different. Not sure if they tried to tell one in the animated though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I've just finished the game on PC. Damn was it short and easy and never really escalated to awesome. Seriously, this felt like a prologue to the real game. I guess they spent too much time building the city and then didn't have time to make content. Few boss fights, those that were there weren't great, few inventive environmental challenges. All it did for actual challenge was throw you in a room with tons of thugs, but with the spammy combat it's all the same anyway. Meh. Arkham Asylum was an awesome tightly paced Metroid-like experience full of greatness with a single low point (Croc), this was a light, short sandbox wannabe. I only liked that stealth was a bit more freeform this time and usable in seemingly more and most of the game.

Edit: I know I have a few more things to do like finish Catwoman's business, get all the Titan stuff, and the rest Riddler trophies (which I probably won't do) but eh, I doubt those will change my mind about it... New Game Plus sounds nice but hopefully it's balanced and doesn't do crazy things like triple the amount of armored enemies with guns and shields in tight rooms or whatever...

I know other people are having problems with games for WINDOWS LIVE in general in this thread, but has anyone else had specific problems with the achievements popping but not sticking?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There are way too many times that Batman gets taken out like a little bitch in this game.

Edit: Wait, so because
I fought joker instead of immediately leaving the place to get whatever else, now I'm going to have to deal with attack helicopters and shit?
Please tell me I can go around the city and get the riddler things after the story without needing to start new game plus. I guess I'll just leisurely try to enjoy my time as Catwoman and get a lot done...

NZNova

How the fuck did this game get released with this save game issue?! How fucking frustrating to lose your save game and have no way to get it back, goddamn... have they said anything about actually fixing the problem? Or some other sort of remedy for all of this bullshit?

McNum

There are way too many times that Batman gets taken out like a little bitch in this game.

Edit: Wait, so because
I fought joker instead of immediately leaving the place to get whatever else, now I'm going to have to deal with attack helicopters and shit?
Please tell me I can go around the city and get the riddler things after the story without needing to start new game plus. I guess I'll just leisurely try to enjoy my time as Catwoman and get a lot done...
Don't worry, you're Batman. A few
attack helicopters is merely a problem to be solved. They'll go away before the game ends.
Just consider it an encouragement to get the next part of the story done now.

Dice

Now the game won't let me do anything until I
save Thalia from Joker.
Things better be open when the story is done.

Jintor

Don't think he's ever had a concrete origin story, one of the things that makes the joker... joker. Even in Dark Knight they do this, when his origin stories he tells people are completely different. Not sure if they tried to tell one in the animated though.

They did at least one Red Hood Ace Chemicals story.

Dice

Anyway, some concluding thoughts...

-Batman goes down like a bitch way too many times. When did he become such a bitch?

-Batman is the worst fighter. I get that he is older, so he is slower, but shouldn't he hit harder/finish guys in less strikes to make up for it? He has nice gadget moves but they're specials so it takes work to get to using them. It's so much easier to kick ass with the other characters.

-With any character, don't allow the camera to zoom in so far when I'm fighting 15 guys! It's not cool! There were plenty of times in the later portions I would hit Y out of sheer paranoia because of previous times dudes had come from off-camera and punched me or thrown stuff at me. I understand working by audio cues for stuff like guns, but if a dude is on my ass, he should be visible. This wasn't always the case.

-Fuck you Rocksteady for making the map an arch shape. That shit was soooo navigationally annoying and
it doesn't even make sense for that area to still be off-limits after Hugo blows Wonder Tower to smithereens.
This is made much worse by the fact THERE IS NO MINIMAP WTF!

-I want a Catwoman game.

Tsukumo

There was something similar in Mask of the Phantasm.
Concerning comics there's Killing Joke (wrote by Alan Moore) which is a masterpiece and doesn't need any type of knowledge of Batman's continuity. A less known comic "origin" is Legends of the Dark Knight nr.50, titled Images, penciled by Bret Blevins, which depicts the first encounter between Joker and Batman and how Joker wedged himself amongst Gotham's organized crime.

Feature

Banned
What pisses me off is that I entered a villains hideout but I keep having to track back and whatnot for mandatory side missions that piss me off. For example:
Save the police team in the museum penguin is hiding out in

Also what pissed me off during that mission is:
when you're saving those guys frozen on the ice, you can't just grapple onto stuff, you have to fking pull yourself around on the water while in the city you can grapple onto shit miles away so to speak

I hope they release some form of single player story DLC. I dont see why they cant do Robin
after he goes to deliver the antidote in the main campaign
. That might be cool.

How the fuck did this game get released with this save game issue?! How fucking frustrating to lose your save game and have no way to get it back, goddamn... have they said anything about actually fixing the problem? Or some other sort of remedy for all of this bullshit?

I'm with you. I just lost a 59 hour save. Everything in the main game done, started work on Riddler's Revenge maps...overall 72% or so. And I'm on Vista so I don't even have the option to do Previous Versions on the save file.

Feels bad, man.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
IMPORTANT QUESTION: I have the PC version, I bought it from Origin. Do I have to buy the DLC from the Games For Windows Live (now Xbox.com) marketplace? It doesn't appear to be available on Origin. Just want to make sure my shit works.

edit - On second thought, $15 just for Robin, Nightwing and a few skins? I think I'll pass, lol.

Dice

Yes, you get them from GFWL. If you order on any DD site, they will just give you a code to enter into GFWL. Because of this, you'll want to just wait for a sale to get the DLC because yes, it's not worth what they're asking. Can't even use Robin in the main city.

Dice

Amusement, Industrial, Subway & Combat complete. 339 of 440 right now. I'm doing this!

Is it just me or is the bat confuse move useless? You'd never need it unless there are a lot of guys, but when there are, it's never good for getting some knocks in because there is always some jerk outside the circle who rushes in that you have to counter. That thing should be a total confusion zone, like walk into it and you get confused, get up off the ground within it and you are confused. As it is, it's just giving the player mixed messages with it's long animation for something that's only effective in the initial burst.

I think Batman's best move is the multi-down batarangs. It's pretty easy to knock down like 4 guys in a row. Having an instant assurance that they won't get back up? Awesome.

RivalCore

Bat Swarm is a life saver (or points builder) when it comes to (I forget their names) the big Russian guys. Start your beat-down combo, do a bat swarm to stop anyone backstabbing you and repeat until he's down. Huge points for that.

Same with Titans.

Dice

That would be true if it affected people who walk into the circle but if there is anyone in the room who was outside of the circle, they will run right through the circle to punch you in the back of the head while you're trying to KO the heavy, just as though had you never set it off.

TP

That would be true if it affected people who walk into the circle but if there is anyone in the room who was outside of the circle, they will run right through the circle to punch you in the back of the head while you're trying to KO the heavy, just as though had you never set it off.

The bat swarm interrupts Hammer and Sickle so you can activate bat swarm, rapid punch them and activate again before anybody who runs in can hit you.

The only time I found it useful was when going for the trophy for all of Batman's moves in one fight. Bat swarm > Ground pound.

It's much better to just vault over the hammer/sickle guy when he/others attack.

But then you miss out on all the free points.
And like I said Bat Swarm can be easily spammed and interrupts attacks

Edit: It can even stop Titan charges if timed right.
Bat Swarm is op

Dice

Main story 100% complete. Getting all the Riddler stuff and then taking him down added 20 hours, lol.

Sober

Batswarm is a pretty OP move when you consider it does give you points for people caught in it. Not too much but multi-batarang takedown also barely gives you points (like 20 each) and is a takedown move. Unless you are doing IBL or JF, there isn't much incentive to do it except for lulz when you could get more points that way. As someone pointed out, you can be on top of a titan or hammer/sickle bro and do a swarm which has invincibility frames against everything (since you jump up).

Personal record with the batarang multi takedown though? I think it was 8. Freeflow focus explosive gel, attack to get a combo again and do it.

L00P

Argh I almost got the perfect freeflow 2.0 achievement! Variation x11! I didn't know ultra stun was required. Oh well, back to beating the crap out of thugs

So if I can play Arkham Asylum on my PC all at max settings with 60 FPS, should I be able to get similar performance from this?

In other words, how much more demanding is it than Asylum?

L00P

Yess I got Perfect FreeFlow 2.0!!!

I thought I only needed to do it once and never again, but I always strive to get variation x 12 all the time now. I've also done it quite a few times now, too. Felt like I leveled up or something.

So a friend of mine (and a longtime GAF lurker) really enjoys Batman's Predator challenge maps in this game. He actually has the top spot on the leaderboards of the PC version for all but one of them, and has been making videos and walkthroughs to post on youtube. If anyone's having trouble with some of the medals or just wants to see some refined play, here's his channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/InTehVaria?feature=watch

He'd also really like to thank someguyinahat for posting about using previous versions to restore save files, since he was hit by the save erasing bug and that solved it. Thanks a ton!

Sober

The only predator medal I absolutely hate is "Bulletproof" in Lost City (extreme). Also, I do not understand what unearthly being can do some extreme maps in a minute or less with 3 medals. That just boggles my mind sometimes.

Finished the story line and most of the side missions stuff a few days ago. Since then been grinding on the Riddler trophys, ugh. I absolutely loved this game, top 10 all time for me for sure. But it's starting to feel like a real grind with these trophys and cameras and all that. Maybe a bit too many. And this is coming from a person who loves stuff like this and the pigeons in GTA.

So if I can play Arkham Asylum on my PC all at max settings with 60 FPS, should I be able to get similar performance from this?

In other words, how much more demanding is it than Asylum?

The DX11 effects are pretty taxing, but if you play in DX9 you'll get pretty much the same performance you get in Asylum.

So a friend of mine (and a longtime GAF lurker) really enjoys Batman's Predator challenge maps in this game. He actually has the top spot on the leaderboards of the PC version for all but one of them, and has been making videos and walkthroughs to post on youtube. If anyone's having trouble with some of the medals or just wants to see some refined play, here's his channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/InTehVaria?feature=watch

He'd also really like to thank someguyinahat for posting about using previous versions to restore save files, since he was hit by the save erasing bug and that solved it. Thanks a ton!

These videos are awesome.

Shiv47

A quick google search didn't reveal an immediate answer, so apologies if it's already been answered in this thread, but how does one kickstart the Riddler missions in NG+? I am already about 65% through, and haven't had anything happen. Do I just need to go near the first hideout?

Seda

A quick google search didn't reveal an immediate answer, so apologies if it's already been answered in this thread, but how does one kickstart the Riddler missions in NG+? I am already about 65% through, and haven't had anything happen. Do I just need to go near the first hideout?

If I recall correctly:
Go to the Church I think.

After that, you'll have to save the first victim from the courthouse, and you get the puzzle box. If you already done that, you just need to solve more Riddler challenges/trophies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally finished. Loved the open world aspect. Freedom of exploration and control makes for the best Batman 'experience' ever. Gorgeous graphics and presentation. Perfect hybrid of simplicity and skill for the combat system. Story had a lot of good points. Strange was a good pick for the antagonist. I liked the Riddler challenges, as I had to actually do something, whether it be a reflex challenge or use an item in creative ways, to get most of the trophies. Mostly cool side quests with good cameos.

Didn't like the lack of focus over Arkham Asylum, particularly the weaker main mission variety, shorter main quest, and lack of Metroidvania exploration. Felt like a smaller game in that respect. Too many characters and not enough exposition for what is otherwise a good plot hurt the story. I still don't like Batman's voice actor.

I think I liked it more than Arkham Asylum. Maybe. The open world aspects make for the most enjoyable 'open world' I've ever played. Best super hero simulator ever that is basically perfect for simulating what it would be like to be Batman. Main quest had it's good points but I miss the tighter design of Asylum and greater variety.

I hope for Arkham World or whatever the inevitable Batman 3 is they don't try and make it even bigger. Arkham City is the right world size. Keep it as it is, but focus more on a greater variety of main missions with more rooms to clear, more locations to visit, and better set pieces. Making the open world even bigger will just dilute the interior missions further and I don't want that.

Oh, and Catwoman was a painfully wasted opportunity. Excellent combat system that makes her a legitimate alternative to Batman. Loved pouncing, climbing and her fast speed. Awful characterisation and four forgettable, phoned in missions completely ruined her.

Top Bottom