• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I enjoyed those sections. Maybe you didn't enjoy them, but they weren't designed poorly.

It seems most would disagree with you. The bulk of the complaining
had to do with the , get in/get out and drive through a tunnel, cobra/knight battle, followed by the excavator and topped off in the most insulting way possible, Deathstroke. Very hard and very unfun. You're doing many of those fights in cramped areas and you are pretty much fucked if you get seen and its crazy hard to get a good hit in

And you cannot tell me that those sections were great designs.

This is supposed to be a Batman Arkham game not Twisted Metal.

But by all means keep defending that shit.

munchie64

had to do with the , get in/get out and drive through a tunnel, cobra/knight battle, followed by the excavator and topped off in the most insulting way possible, Deathstroke.

Rocksteady obviously thought they were good enough.

Don't have to agree with them of course, but I can see where they were coming from.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Rocksteady obviously thought they were good enough.

Yeah, and that is what is puzzling about it. Its hard for to imagine that these sequences were properly playtested.

I am seriously (late late late spoiler) absolutely stumped how
someone at Rocksteady felt that relegating Deathstroke to a tank battle was a good choice since his fight from AO was one of the highlights.

This suit is beyond ugly.

400AA366-4A86-4175-BD11-C553E3083B35_zpscmmzqy9z.jpg

I used it for 5 minutes lol

What the hell is that?

Jito

Banned

*shrugs* I enjoyed all the Batmobile sections, it's not defending Rocksteady or whatever to enjoy it. It's fine to have differing opinions man, just because were not the majority opinion on here, doesn't mean we're wrong.

breakfuss

Yeah, and that is what is puzzling about it. Its hard for to imagine that these sequences were properly playtested.

I thought about that as well. Like, did they actually play this? And think it was fun? It's mind boggling considering how excellent the gameplay is outside of those segments.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
*shrugs* I enjoyed all the Batmobile sections, it's not defending Rocksteady or whatever to enjoy it. It's fine to have differing opinions man, just because were not the majority opinion on here, doesn't mean we're wrong.

Yeah, you're right. That was a tad on the harsh side.

But I am really trying to wrap my brain around how anyone can tell me that they loved those sections. Its one thing to tolerate them, but love them.

One thing is that I hate racing games with a passion. There is a reason I don't own them.

had to do with the , get in/get out and drive through a tunnel, cobra/knight battle, followed by the excavator and topped off in the most insulting way possible, Deathstroke. Very hard and very unfun. You're doing many of those fights in cramped areas and you are pretty much fucked if you get seen and its crazy hard to get a good hit in

This is supposed to be a Batman Arkham game not Twisted Metal.

All those sections you mentioned were ridiculously easy for me and I played on hard so maybe I didn't feel the same frustration you did. The only part I will agree with is
the Deathstroke fight being a slap in the face.
They weren't great design, but they weren't terrible by any means.

Yeah, you're right. That was a tad on the harsh side.

But I am really trying to wrap my brain around how anyone can tell me that they loved those sections. Its one thing to tolerate them, but love them.

One thing is that I hate racing games with a passion. There is a reason I don't own them.

Who said I loved those sections? All I said is that they weren't terribly designed. I enjoyed them, but would I have rather had a freeflow combat situation or a predator room situation and take at least one of those parts away? Of course I would, but I didn't hate what I played.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
All those sections you mentioned were ridiculously easy for me and I played on hard so maybe I didn't feel the same frustration you did. The only part I will agree with is
the Deathstroke fight being a slap in the face.
They weren't great design, but they weren't terrible by any means.

Who said I loved those sections? All I said is that they weren't terribly designed. I enjoyed them, but would I have rather had a freeflow combat situation or a predator room situation and take at least one of those parts away? Of course I would, but I didn't hate what I played.

LOL. The batmobile sections made me miss Shock and Awe Extreme...

So, I'm at exactly 90% story completion. The only side quests I have left are Occupy Gotham, and Campaign for disarmament(riddler trophies as well). The issue is that I've done all of the ones available and now the they are blocked off. They are at 80%, and 66% respectively.

Do they become available if I advance the story further? I just don't want to hit the point of no return by accident, without finishing up all of the most wanted missions.

munchie64

So, I'm at exactly 90% story completion. The only side quests I have left are Occupy Gotham, and Campaign for disarmament(riddler trophies as well). The issue is that I've done all of the ones available and now the they are blocked off. They are at 80%, and 66% respectively.

Do they become available if I advance the story further? I just don't want to hit the point of no return by accident, without finishing up all of the most wanted missions.
They come up later, but there is no point of no return.

The later ones show up
after you dealt with the Arkham Knight.

Tsukumo

You're no longer invincible while doing redirects over enemy heads? I haven't run into this yet, and I really cheese the shit out of this move too.

Yeah, I meant redirects after batclaw pulls and vaulting over charging enemies. The animations change and instead of jumping over their heads he rolls off enemies backs, open for attacks (you can see counter icons popping up).

Its equally gross in the movie and the game....

Blasphemy. Looks like Griffith' armor from Berserk. The claws on the hands are fantastic. The only problem I have with it is that the original skin comes out of the sides of the cowl.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I must say in terms of combat those damn charging enemies get me almost every time. almost every time. They almost always seem to catch me off guard. I usually get lucky when I deal with them.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Is the PC version of this game still jacked up? I have a gift card that i'd like to use, and I really want this on Steam.

They kinda fixed the visuals already with a patch but it's a matter of being lucky in terms of performing well depending on your specs.

I'm one of the lucky ones whose only issue has been framerate drops in very graphically complicated sections. That said, there's still plenty of people with a more messed up experience.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
So the PS4 version definitely hits single digit frames late-game during Batmobile chases.

Man, the game is strong at the beginning, but since I've started trying to 100% it I am noticing so many bugs (Batman not responding as he should, frame drops, glitches). I wonder why it's happening now, or if I'm only noticing it now that I'm at the later challenges that have more things happening?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
They kinda fixed the visuals already with a patch but it's a matter of being lucky in terms of performing well depending on your specs.

I'm one of the lucky ones whose only issue has been framerate drops in very graphically complicated sections. That said, there's still plenty of people with a more messed up experience.

"Kinda fixed" is very important. I owned the PC version and was running it at "Ultra" (normal... with all the stupid bells and whistles). I got the patch, compared it to the PS4 version I'd rented, and nearly all of the post-processing related to rain is still not there on PC. They added some sort of shader that does fix the "totally dry Batman in the rain" issue, but it's no where near the fidelity on the PS4.

They fucked the pooch on this one.

I was in an interior area looking for Riddler trophies and found I could have Batman walk toward the camera somehow. Was there an update to change that, or something? Does that only happen indoors?

Ummm no. The parts approaching the end, driving through the tunnels, and fighting bosses are hardly a brief distraction. They're a pretty significant, poorly designed, unfun sections at the end.

The big drone battle took me five minutes. The tunnel boss fight took me ~7 minutes because I somehow couldn't find it for a couple minutes. I didn't die at those sections, so I never had to replay them though.

Maybe five minutes out of an hour consisting of other types of gameplay doesn't seem like more than a distraction to me, personally, but it's actually a huge problem for some people.

None of it's "poorly designed" though — that tunnel boss was actually a lot of fun for me considering how refreshing it was to be the one being chased for once. The game tells you how to damage the boss and it's up to you to figure out how to do it (which is very simple). By that point, controlling the Batmobile isn't (shouldn't?) be an issue.

kinggroin

Banned
Well I beat it. Again (first time wasn't enough cause I had to capture more villains). Now that
Knight fall was activated,
I get half an ending.

Fuck off.

Everything post
Scarecrow
was a drag to me.

Plus Riddler's very first mission of having you drive the batmobile through Trackmania was a huge sin considering how that thing handles.

Spinluck

I was in an interior area looking for Riddler trophies and found I could have Batman walk toward the camera somehow. Was there an update to change that, or something? Does that only happen indoors?

The big drone battle took me five minutes. The tunnel boss fight took me ~7 minutes because I somehow couldn't find it for a couple minutes. I didn't die at those sections, so I never had to replay them though.

Maybe five minutes out of an hour consisting of other types of gameplay doesn't seem like more than a distraction to me, personally, but it's actually a huge problem for some people.

None of it's "poorly designed" though — that tunnel boss was actually a lot of fun for me considering how refreshing it was to be the one being chased for once. The game tells you how to damage the boss and it's up to you to figure out how to do it (which is very simple). By that point, controlling the Batmobile isn't (shouldn't?) be an issue.

The forced Batmobile segments are crap.

The games pacing overall is crap. Thanks in large to the Batmobile. Fine mechanics that work and all, but boring as hell after being forced to play it for a lot of the game.

Travo

Can anybody tell me if there is a part of the AK map that is comparable to AC. I was thinking Founders was the AC island only with old Gotham demolished and built in top of.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

One (of many) issues with the
cloudburst
battle is how the camera zooms out when you you have to make your getaway. That fucked mechanic caused me to die twice. Its so bad since he can follow you very and just barrage missiles at you. It is soooo damn mind boggling. That sequence is hard enough, but they make it WORSE by the goddamn camera. How does somebody do that....?

You cannot cannot cannot tell me that is good design. That shows me that the sequence was not properly playtested.

I'm at 94% now, and notice that I have to go back to
Panessa studios
. Can I still finish up any riddler trophies left in there before the end?

Have a "gamebreaking" bug (sort of) in Simon Staggs ship. I can't get a riddler trophy because the box won't move. I don't even want to move on to get the rest of 'em now. This is on the PC version.

I've had that happen too. It seems to randomly work after entering and leaving that area through a door. Just know that you have to slide it our of the airship entirely.

One (of many) issues with the
cloudburst
battle is how the camera zooms out when you you have to make your getaway. That fucked mechanic caused me to die twice. Its so bad since he can follow you very and just barrage missiles at you. It is soooo damn mind boggling. That sequence is hard enough, but they make it WORSE by the goddamn camera. How does somebody do that....?

You cannot cannot cannot tell me that is good design. That shows me that the sequence was not properly playtested.

Turn off the "predator awareness" option to make it stop doing that. It's the same option that gives you a few moments to react when an enemy spots you on foot in a predator section.

That said, it didn't make me die twice, or at all. I get that you probably just hate driving, but that isn't due to the game controlling terribly or anything. I actually found that fight and other cobra fights fun as it involves some strategy and finesse when maneuvering around the drones, something more akin to the predator segments. Getting chased and dodging missiles in the APC and cobra fights was a lot of fun considering all you have to manage (steering, dodging, attacking) all at once. I could see why it would frustrate someone who doesn't enjoy it/gets killed repeatedly, but if that's the case for you, just accept it's your own preference. You don't need to throw around "not playtested" or "poorly designed" when it's mostly because you don't like it.

It probably does that so you can see where the missiles are going to land as they have little targeting reticules on the ground ahead of you. I would prefer to just have the camera stay the same, but it was a non-issue, something I wouldn't have even thought about twice had you not mentioned it.

Soooo

...was Kevin Van Ord at Gamespot right? :/

hell, yes! :) ...

introducing a new form of gameplay into an established series is always gonna be hit'n'miss with a fanbase - some'll like it, some won't. arkham knight doesn't just 'introduce' the batmobile/tank, it makes it mandatory in a number of story missions, & even includes it in boss fights. iow, if, as a series fan, this new form of gameplay doesn't particularly thrill you, you're fucked, & a series that was once a lotta fun suddenly becomes a lot less so...

Top Bottom