• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I've been trying to get all of the riddler trophies to get the good ending but this is starting to become too tedious for me. Is it worth it to get all of the trophies?

Evo X

They say that Batman doesn't kill, but these two thugs don't seem to be doing too hot.

FMXRblD.jpg

WNhx0YM.jpg

I'm really liking the combat scenarios less that I'm now trying to 100% this thing. They're conpletely bipolar in that a monkey jamming the attack button could beat them or they're a huge pain in the ass due to the medics and a couple car doors. Some terrible design choices, including the red warning being the same for medics, guys charging and shield dudes and using the bat claw on the medics when it never hits the guy I want. Ugh.

Travo

Can anybody tell me if there is a part of the AK map that is comparable to AC. I was thinking Founders was the AC island only with old Gotham demolished and built in top of.

Never mind, I finally see the Wonder Tower as a part of an unreachable island.

Regginator

Soooo

...was Kevin Van Ord at Gamespot right? :/

In hindsight I definitely think he was right:

Forced use of the Batmobile puts a damper on fun and freedom
Agreed. They could have cut back the forced use of the Batmobile/tank with at least 50%.

Ham-fisted dialogue and predictable reveals damage the story
I suppose story and dialogue were never really Arkham's territory, but I agree the main story was less interesting than AA and AC and the reveal was definitely disappointing.

Monotonous encounters and mediocre boss fights hurt the second half
Were there even boss fights in the main story? Apart from the fight with
Arkham Knight
, which basically was a rip-off from Deadshot in Arkham Origins which in turn was inspired by the Deadshot encounter in Arkham City, I really can't remember.

Anung

Un Rama
Were there even boss fights in the main story? Apart from the fight with
Arkham Knight
, which basically was a rip-off from Deadshot in Arkham Origins which in turn was inspired by the Deadshot encounter in Arkham City, I really can't remember.

The fight against
Albert King
which was probably the best fight in the game.

Gator86

Soooo

Yup. Rereading his review, I agree with almost every point including the final score. Arkham Knight is a good game because the core gameplay is so solid at this point. However, all the Arkham Knight specific content (batmobile/story) falls completely flat for the most part.

Regginator

Yeah, I'm only an hour or so in and I might stop playing it. When did he turn into Trevor from gta? And is this through the whole game?

Nah Batman has always been a dick/tough love in the Arkham games. I suppose it primarily shows in Arkham Knight because Gotham is pretty much done for and he still doesn't want help.

SJRB

Gold Member
Nah Batman has always been a dick/tough love in the Arkham games. I suppose it primarily shows in Arkham Knight because Gotham is pretty much done for and he still doesn't want help.

Who's help could he possibly need? He's the goddamn Batman.

On Demand

Banned
How exactly does the riddler puzzle where you scan it and follow the question marks work? This is the second one I'm doing and it's leading me nowhere.

Dominator

How exactly does the riddler puzzle where you scan it and follow the question marks work? This is the second one I'm doing and it's leading me nowhere.
If the marks lead up, then you most likely have to go up to wherever it's showing. I think one or two make you get up on a bridge or an upper level. You have to be quick though, or they will disappear and you'll have to restart.

On Demand

Banned
If the marks lead up, then you most likely have to go up to wherever it's showing. I think one or two make you get up on a bridge or an upper level. You have to be quick though, or they will disappear and you'll have to restart.

Wow these are so dumb. So just follow them quickly and that's it?

QaaQer

Batmobile is an absolute blast. I was dreading it, thinking tank combat meant tank combat. It's more like the vehicular equivalent of Batman's melee gameplay.

Sober

Wow these are so dumb. So just follow them quickly and that's it?
It's supposed to work like the mission where you follow the tire treads with Batmobile detective sonar mode. Except the riddler versions are super unintuitive cause the question marks go everywhere. But yeah, if they lead up a wall and stop there you need to hop out, call the Batmobile and go into tank mode and keep scanning before the trail fades away.

GnawtyDog

Banned
So how do you destroy break-able walls in high buildings where the Batmobile can't get to? (for riddler trophies). The playwood ones I can simply sky dive into them but not the concrete ones.

I know in Asylum and City we had a gadget for it but not in this one...I'm currently at 96% of the completion.

Ugh. The fight against
Deathstroke
is the culmination of the biggest problem with the game. I like it overall, and I even liked the inclusion of the Batmobile, but it's a little overkill.

The fight against Deathstroke was one of the best parts of Arkham Origins, so when wrapping up that storyline I was looking forward to getting another fight with him. Instead, I got another generic, boring tank battle. I managed to beat his super 360 degree tank by circling around a column a few times. It was the worst. I get wanting to introduce new mechanics, but make it part of the toolbelt, not the whole fucking toolbelt.

Solidsoul

Banned
Soooo

Absolutley not.

Just my opinion, but i think it's absolutley ridiculous to put Arkham Knight at a 7. It has shortcomings and it isn't perfect, but 7 is an absolute joke. Makes me question the intent of Kevin Van Ord's reviews from now on.

So how do you destroy break-able walls in high buildings where the Batmobile can't get to? (for riddler trophies). The playwood ones I can simply sky dive into them but not the concrete ones.

I know in Asylum and City we had a gadget for it but not in this one...I'm currently at 96% of the completion.

You can always reach them with the cannon. It can shoot really far, so just get as close as you can and fire.

Tsukumo

Soooo

No.
I'm so glad this game sold the way it did, and that all naysayers won't be able to influence the production team with their "Batmobile is total bullshit" mantra.
Rocksteady finally gave people a more difficult game, where challenges actually put you to the test on both skill and in-game knowledge, they made a fantastic dark story
(and a clever Return of the Joker remake XD)
and ceaseled the game with little touches which enhance the experience of Being the Batman, vehicle takedowns being my personal favourite, with a map design which glorifies the lore of the comic book as memorably as Asylum and City did.
They came up with a giant map, intricate but not impossible puzzles, harder and faster combat, seriously disturbing episodes which never appeal to tasteless gore, an insane graphic engine, full real time, seamless cut-scenes, a new combat system (the tank combat) which rivals the freeflow system in simplicity and flexibility. But, hey, it's not enough: "it's not what people want".
I do agree they shit the pot with
Deathstroke and
the final boss fights, but let's face it: people are judging this game on the presumption of easiness.
The driving and the tank combat, tied with the respective challenges, are prohibitive, yes.
Knightmare has some rage inducing episodes, yes.
But isn't this EXACTLY what was asked to them with previous games? Isn't a godsend to have a Batman game which is going to last years in terms of graphic quality and gameplay challenge? Isn't satisfying to learn the ropes and OWN every challenge this game presents? Do people who throw shit at the Batmobile played on Hard/Knightmare, know how to score perfect shots, know hot to pause the timer with drifts during the races, know how to dodge properly during chases/tank fights?
Is it possible they really didn't enjoy chasing an APC truck through a tunnel while driving upside down at full speed on the top of the motherfucking ceiling?
It's so frustrating to see the judgement on this game to be based on a couple of poor design decisions, when EVERY OTHER SINGLE THING the game does is executed to perfection.
But hey, hopefully the next Arkham game is going to be a five hour story mode with 60 challenge maps which I'll never play twice and beat at my first try, so I can get some achievements and then follow the next shiny thing I see in front of me, amirite?

I think I'm giving up on the car jump trophy because I've done a dozen of them in a row that seemed to fit the criteria and it's still not unlocking.
Shame, that's one of the last two I'm missing for the plat (along NG+).

Really wow.... now that's bad. In AC and AA you had one of the current gadgets do it if I recall. SMH.
Only in AA, the triple batclaw (which was kinda dumb in combat), and in AO, on wooden walls with metal rings.

In AK, the Batmobile is just another gadget. If you see those walls, you can shoot it. The only thing that's dumb is how quickfire explosive gel was changed (for the worse, in combat), yet doesn't have effect when used on those walls.

erawsd

Every time I hold right bumper, it auto fires missles instead of the turret. Any way to stop this?

It starts firing non-leathal bullets, just shooting them with the vulcan wont work anyway. You have to
fire missle barrage to finish the final step where they are all lit up.

SJRB

Gold Member
What the hell is the point of the
second
ending?

I activated
Knightfall
before finding all Riddler stuff, it basically warps me back [or something]. I don't understand the point.

Soooo

Reading over the article again, yeah he's pretty much spot on.

A 7/10 is not a bad score, but fanboys like to go in fits of rage on anything that doesn't correlate with their own lines of thinking. Personally, I'd give it a 7.5 - but all of Kevin's points are valid.

What Arkham Knight does well, it does really well. However, there's alot of important issues with the game where they drop the ball on and designed very poorly - having the game designed around the Batmobile, poor story, and the worst bosses in recent memory.

Kaswa101

No.
I'm so glad this game sold the way it did, and that all naysayers won't be able to influence the production team with their "Batmobile is total bullshit" mantra.
Rocksteady finally gave people a more difficult game, where challenges actually put you to the test on both skill and in-game knowledge, they made a fantastic dark story
and ceaseled the game with little touches which enhance the experience of Being the Batman, vehicle takedowns being my personal favourite, with a map design which glorifies the lore of the comic book as memorably as Asylum and City did.
They came up with a giant map, intricate but not impossible puzzles, harder and faster combat, seriously disturbing episodes which never appeal to tasteless gore, an insane graphic engine, full real time, seamless cut-scenes, a new combat system (the tank combat) which rivals the freeflow system in simplicity and flexibility. But, hey, it's not enough: "it's not what people want".
Deathstroke and
the final boss fights, but let's face it: people are judging this game on the presumption of easiness.
The driving and the tank combat, tied with the respective challenges, are prohibitive, yes.
But isn't this EXACTLY what was asked to them with previous games? Isn't a godsend to have a Batman game which is going to last years in terms of graphic quality and gameplay challenge? Isn't satisfying to learn the ropes and OWN every challenge this game presents? Do people who throw shit at the Batmobile played on Hard/Knightmare, know how to score perfect shots, know hot to pause the timer with drifts during the races, know how to dodge properly during chases/tank fights?
Is it possible they really didn't enjoy chasing an APC truck through a tunnel while driving upside down at full speed on the top of the motherfucking ceiling?
It's so frustrating to see the judgement on this game to be based on a couple of poor design decisions, when EVERY OTHER SINGLE THING the game does is executed to perfection.
But hey, hopefully the next Arkham game is going to be a five hour story mode with 60 challenge maps which I'll never play twice and beat at my first try, so I can get some achievements and then follow the next shiny thing I see in front of me, amirite?

Fully agree. Game is amazing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No.
Deathstroke and

Why is it you fail to understand that bad design choices CAN sour the ENTIRE experience? You liked the batmobile sections. A lot of others didn't. For me (and a lot of others) the batmobile was NOT what I wanted in a Rocksteady Batman game. We didn't want Twisted Metal Batman/Driveclube/Forza meets Batman. If you like those games then hey thats fine. I HATE those games and will never have them in my library, they just arent for me. Why am I forced to deal with that shit in a batman game?

I have no hesitation in saying that quite few of the forced batmobile sections are so unfun and stupid that I have very little incentive to play this game again. They didn't just suck. They sucked ass. I am glad you enjoyed them, but I have no hesitation in saying that most people felt that Rocksteady went way way way overboard with them. It got old facing waves of 30+ tanks over and over, dealing with the constant missile spam and other shit. Not to mention the tedious cat and mouse games with the Cobras. There were some good ideas in there, don't get me wrong, but it was just too damn much at times.

Your condescending comments about avoiding fire, and not getting hit don't help anybody. I can only speak for myself, but I know that a lot of gamers have ADD and because of that their reflexes are a tad slower than a non-ADD person. It can be VERY difficult to process so many different things going on, on screen. Between the missile spam, the red and white lines, it can throw people off. It also becomes difficult to aim during those scenarios. So YES, that CAN be game ruining and frustrating.

And yes, I absolutely HATED FUCKING HATED those sections where I was forced to drive upside down and navigate an obstacle. Those sequences were few and far between. Thankfully though first person mode helped a ton in these situations.

As for the combat, Rocksteady made some changes to the combat that made it far less satisfying for me. The removal of the Batswarm was absolutely unnecessary. Sure they gave us new tools, but it was fine the way it was. The camera, the wonky targetting, the frequent combat whiffing made encounters harder than they needed to be. It got annoying, (not game breaking by any means) when you were in a nice flow of the combat to have Batman inexplicably whiff and/or attack an enemy you didn't intend. I had to spend FAR more time jumping over enemies and playing hot potato just so I could try and position myself to minimize that. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. I have repeatedly gone back to AC and these issues almost never happened.

Now, one thing I did like is the way that many encounters combined elements of both predator AND combat. They designed a lot of encounters so that you actually had to do some planning so you werent caught in a crossfire. That was a change that I actually LOVED and appreciated.

In short, yes this game does a TON of things well and what it does well it does really well, but those sections with the batmobile can be nearly game breaking for many. I am doing my New Game+ playthrough hoping that maybe my opinion would change, but it hasn't all that much. I still think they went wayyyy overboard with the use of the batmobile and relied wayyy too much on it.

Why is it you fail to understand that bad design choices CAN sour the ENTIRE experience? You liked the batmobile sections. A lot of others didn't. For me (and a lot of others) the batmobile was NOT what I wanted in a Rocksteady Batman game. We didn't want Twisted Metal Batman/Driveclube/Forza meets Batman. If you like those games then hey thats fine. I HATE those games and will never have them in my library, they just arent for me. Why am I forced to deal with that shit in a batman game?

I have no hesitation in saying that quite few of the forced batmobile sections are so unfun and stupid that I have very little incentive to play this game again. They didn't just suck. They sucked ass. I am glad you enjoyed them, but I have no hesitation in saying that most people felt that Rocksteady went way way way overboard with them. It got old facing waves of 30+ tanks over and over, dealing with the constant missile spam and other shit. Not to mention the tedious cat and mouse games with the Cobras. There were some good ideas in there, don't get me wrong, but it was just too damn much at times.

As for the combat, Rocksteady made some changes to the combat that made it far less satisfying for me. The removal of the Batswarm was absolutely unnecessary. Sure they gave us new tools, but it was fine the way it was. The camera, the wonky targetting, the frequent combat whiffing made encounters harder than they needed to be. It got annoying, (not game breaking by any means) when you were in a nice flow of the combat to have Batman inexplicably whiff and/or attack an enemy you didn't intend. I had to spend FAR more time jumping over enemies and playing hot potato just so I could try and position myself to minimize that. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. I have repeatedly gone back to AC and these issues almost never happened.

Now, one thing I did like is the way that many encounters combined elements of both predator AND combat. They designed a lot of encounters so that you actually had to do some planning so you werent caught in a crossfire. That was a change that I actually LOVED and appreciated.

Why do you fail to understand that you are conflating "bad design" with your preferred choice in genre?

ShutterMunster

Reading over the article again, yeah he's pretty much spot on.

A 7/10 is not a bad score, but fanboys like to go in fits of rage on anything that doesn't correlate with their own lines of thinking. Personally, I'd give it a 7.5 - but all of Kevin's points are valid.

What Arkham Knight does well, it does really well. However, there's alot of important issues with the game where they drop the ball on and designed very poorly - having the game designed around the Batmobile, poor story, and the worst bosses in recent memory.

The Batmobile stuff is excessive. The Cobra Tank stuff being the worse of it and the constant showdowns with 20+ tanks and aerial drones. It just happens too damn often. If they would have scaled that stuff back by 50% I think it would have been perfect. The balance is way off.

Why do you fail to understand that you are conflating "bad design" with your preferred choice in genre?

THIS.

I don't think the Batmobile stuff is poorly designed —the handling model definitely needs some work— but I think they missed the balance in terms of how much of it is in the game.

Top Bottom