• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

As somebody who didn't play any of the Arkham games until AK, what is the difference between the AR challenge maps that are in AK and the challenge maps that were in the previous games?

Just the aesthetics to how enemies spawn and where the boundaries of a challenge map are. Since most challenge maps were in enclosed areas in previous games, there could be more obvious gating to keep the player in one area. Here, they exist in the open world.

RDreamer

I still can't fucking do it and this is getting frustrating. The Circle > XX > Square combo just doesn't work. Is there an alternative to take out a brute with the shield near the end of the game?

I still can't fucking do it and this is getting frustrating. The Circle > XX > Square combo just doesn't work. Is there an alternative to take out a brute with the shield near the end of the game?

I don't know exactly where you are, but environmental takedowns (blue-highlighted pot lights/electrical boxes/
the stuff on the GCPD roof
/etc.

Special combo takedowns x2 (circle plus triangle) or batclaw takedowns work on brutes iirc, but you obviously need a combo going.

RDreamer

I don't know exactly where you are, but environmental takedowns (blue-highlighted pot lights/electrical boxes/
the stuff on the GCPD roof
/etc.

Special combo takedowns x2 (circle plus triangle) or batclaw takedowns work on brutes iirc, but you obviously need a combo going.

Finally got it. I absolutely couldn't beat him when I whittled it down to just him. I finally could when there was a group around him. Really not sure why.

Got a bit further and have an ending question:

I'm seeing online that I can initiate the Knightfall with 7/14 of the side missions done. I had 7 done before doing the last of the main mission, and when I opened the menu it told me I needed another 4. Do I really need 11/14?

So I just started playing this and did they change the sound effects of the punching and fighting in this game compared to the other Batman games?

They sound more "explosive"

It's like they are trying too hard to make the combat sound more epic or something.

SJRB

Gold Member
So I just started playing this and did they change the sound effects of the punching and fighting in this game compared to the other Batman games?

They sound more "explosive"

It's like they are trying too hard to make the combat sound more epic or something.

They totally did change the audio, it sounds "heavier".

New suit, I guess. Batman's punches connect like a sledgehammer now.

vladdamad

Any tips on the AR challenges? Finished everything except New Game Plus and the challenges and the Batmobile stuff is giving me quite a bit of grief, especially the combat-oriented ones. Even if I don't get hit, keep the combo the whole way through I seem to be getting two stars at best on the later ones - and this is with the maxed out Batmobile, as well.

Got a bit further and have an ending question:

I'm seeing online that I can initiate the Knightfall with 7/14 of the side missions done. I had 7 done before doing the last of the main mission, and when I opened the menu it told me I needed another 4. Do I really need 11/14?

you need to complete
all sidequests, it means you need to capture all supervillains, meaning even every GODDAMN riddler trophy/challenge in existance for the real ending.
Hate that decision.

you need to complete
all sidequests, it means you need to capture all supervillains, meaning even every GODDAMN riddler trophy/challenge in existance for the real ending.
Hate that decision.

It's seemingly random — I've had where I could initiate the protocol at 7/14, but I've also had a playthrough where I needed more to do so. I still haven't tested it out to see what the deal is though. Wished they pulled an RDR with the ending/side-mission stuff.

It's seemingly random — I've had where I could initiate the protocol at 7/14, but I've also had a playthrough where I needed more to do so. I still haven't tested it out to see what the deal is though. Wished they pulled an RDR with the ending/side-mission stuff.

Huh? on mine, on PS4, it says i've completed 9/14 quests, all needed to activate Nightfall. So i can forget about that.

KevinG

Took a month break after hitting the wall with the
Cloudburst
section, and plan to get back to it this week. I'm just struggling to want to play through that frustration again.

Huh? on mine, on PS4, it says i've completed 9/14 quests, all needed to activate Nightfall. So i can forget about that.

Like I said, it's seemingly random how many are needed. Either that, or the way it works is poorly brought across.

I didn't think the C
loudburst
section was that hard. Just take your time and don't rush it.

The only parts I found hard were one of the militia checkpoints in Chinatown and the final rooftop fight.

Though the few AR missions are decently challenging which is why I'm hoping for a lot more predator challenge maps.

got an update to 1.06 (PS4)

Updates for WBPlay and Downloadable content

4.301GB

EDIT: Kinda crazy this game beats GTA5 (57.04GB) in size (BAK 60.05GB), BF4 (63.71GB) and CODAW (63.54GB) still kicking ass though

got an update to 1.06 (PS4)

Updates for WBPlay and Downloadable content

4.301GB

EDIT: Kinda crazy this game beats GTA5 (57.04GB) in size (BAK 60.05GB), BF4 (63.71GB) and CODAW (63.54GB) still kicking ass though

Kinda makes you wonder what the filesize for the inevitable GoTY version will be.

Speaking of which, I recently found out that there's a "complete edition" of Arkham Origins released in EU that comes with all DLC (Including the Season Pass exclusive skins) bundled with it in the same vein as Asylum and City's GoTY Editions. I have Origins (though I got it for free) and don't have all of the DLC, so I might look into importing that just to have.

KDC720

Just finished up the main story an hour ago. Overall I really enjoyed it, despite some issues I had. Still not quite sure where I would rank it in the grand scheme of things though.

Story was weaker than Origins imo. Its a good set up, but I felt the introduction of
the Joker infected, as well as Batman seeing the Joker all the time was disappointing
I was fully expecting the Joker to be in the game to some capacity, probably via fear gas, but I think he was really overused here, although Rocksteady does some cool stuff with him later on, and it was nice to see Hamill back.
. As for the Arkham Knight himself
I had him pegged as Jason almost the minute he opened his mouth. They do make it REALLY obvious in Panessa Studios though, but I felt it was a sloppy way to introduce him to the series, given he is never mentioned in the previous games. Also to my knowledge, they never properly explain how he escapes the Joker, which is unusual for Rocksteady
. I did like the ending, the finality of it, I have yet to do the
Knightfall Protocol
though, so it could change. Game also has some really good "Oh shit!" moments.
Barbara offing herself in particular, although I wish they stuck to their guns and kept her dead

Side missions were also a bit hit and miss. Some are really interesting.
Man-Bat, Professor Pyg, Riddler's puzzle rooms with Catwoman, Penguin stuff with Nightwing (buddy stuff was great in general)
, and others were very monotonous.
Rest of the Riddler stuff (I have to fight him in a power loader, seriously?), milita stuff, Two-Face, Firefly
, but the biggest crime imo was
Deathstroke, I was hype as fuck when they brought him back, only for his bossfight to be yet another tank battle, very disappointing.

Concerning gameplay, the on foot stuff is as good as it ever was, perhaps even better with the new moves Batman has. Ground pickup and and environmental takedowns were neat additions in particular, but I never really found myself using stuff like the gliding gadgets. Speaking of which, you only really get one proper new gadget in the game, and while it makes the stealth sequences more interesting, I wish they could have given you some other new toys besides the batmobile. I actually liked the batmobile stuff, racing around in it is fun, and although the drone battles get tiresome near the end, it never got too boring or aggravating. Although, I will say the two areas where you don't use it were my favorites.
Especially Panessa with the Robin co-op stuff

Game looks gorgeous, ran good for me on XB1, and a lot of the little Rocksteady touches and attention to detail shine through. Voice acting could be a bit hit or miss though.

Took a month break after hitting the wall with the
Cloudburst
section, and plan to get back to it this week. I'm just struggling to want to play through that frustration again.

Tank battles were the worst, "you must destroy all 7 tanks before continuing"

Still think they could have kept the batmobile, just remove the Tank Mode. Just have a hover/strafe ability in the normal mode to make it more maneuverable in puzzles.

Dimefan3

Goddamit I wish Rocksteady would make the co-ordinates text on the map bigger. It's almost impossible to read, even on a big TV, which doesn't help with some riddler challenges.

Edit: Bigger text in the extra stories would be handy too.

killercow

The Tumbler from Christopher Nolan's Batman films is coming to Batman: Arkham Knight
CMsXQXqUkAEJdhc.png

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave

Stat!

Platinum'd the game a couple nights ago. Not too hard.

Overall, I think there is a lot of great in this game. The gameplay is top notch from a controlling Batman point of view. There is some good in the Batmobile parts but also some real atrociousness (such as the
last or second last Riddler race and Arkham Knight boss battle)

Sidemissions range from fantastic to mediocre to not much sense story wise. Main story is told wonderfully but really needed to focus on if the story was between
Batman and Joker or Batman and Jason
. Felt the 100% ending was a bit too vague and we don't really know what happened with some of the other characters if this is the last Arkham game (
Like Robin and Jason. I imagine Alfred/Bruce didn't commit suicide but then explain that?)

I do look forward to a number of the secret easter eggs to be revealed as I love the amount of easter eggs already.

Also, Riddler trophies aren't fun. Not sure why they don't just cut out all the Riddler trophies and leave the actual Riddles which are a ton of fun to solve on their own. That way, people wouldn't use a guide given there are only 20 of them and not 243 of them.

Problem is that Batman doesn't jump above the shield. When I stun them and try to double tap X he just leaps around like a fucking idiot behind them.

I had the same problem in the same spot, you are not alone. Any sort of different timing I tried still wouldnt work. I forget how I got around it, is there an environment takedown there?

Is the bat demon real or was that just a figment of the thugs imagination? Love the scene by scene walkthrough of the older games.
Also at the end of Arkham City where you hear Harley singing the lullaby what happened with that storyline?

I have my theories. Here are the facts that I find relevant:

1 The effect looks very similar to when Scarecrow saw Batman while on fear gas

2 Bruce told Dick that they'd never see each other again, so that implies that he wont be around at all. If he still fought crime in the city he'd probably bump into Dick at some point, so it isn't Bruce.

3 Bruce said that the reveal had ruined the legend of Batman and that now Batman had to become something more. You can actually hear thug dialogue about how they arent as afraid anymore. Batman needed a new gimmick.

4 Azrael successfully predicted the end of Bruce Batman and got his blessing to take over (after overcoming his own issues)

So considering those events, I think the guy at the end is Azrael (or maybe Dick) using fear gas to fight crime. The new 'legend' is that Batman came back from the dead as a vengeful ghost (assuming Bruce dead), giving criminals a new reason to shit their pants.

But that still leaves a lot of loose ends and questions. Like, what is Bruce up to? Is he having lunch with Anne Hathaway in Italy? And how does Batman's new ghostly persona trick the security cameras? Fear gas isn't gunna work on that.

I think it's intentionally ambiguous and there isn't actually a definitive answer, but that's my best guess considering the plot points in the game.

Is the new stuff available for download yet?

Did they ever fix the WB Forums skin issue? I posted in the forums with my WB Play account and still didn't unlock that skin.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Well, they're race tracks. That's about it. It's like the Riddler tracks with a Burton skin. And yes, the Elfman theme is playing on all of them. I lost interest pretty quickly, not even gonna bother with that new trophy. You'll be replaying a bunch of tracks if you want that.

Well, they're race tracks. That's about it. It's like the Riddler tracks with a Burton skin. And yes, the Elfman theme is playing on all of them. I lost interest pretty quickly, not even gonna bother with that new trophy. You'll be replaying a bunch of tracks if you want that.

:(

But fuckyeah you can drive it in Gotham too! Been taking outposts down as Keaton while driving the 89'. Handles like a cow though, but fun!

It has no guns nor a tankmode. Dunno if you need the main story completed or if it swaps out for the tank during those missions.

I increased my enjoyment of the tracks by 100% by playing Trust and Partyman on repeat.

Maximus.

Question about the ending:

I beat the main story and 7 side missions, but it says I need 3 more to unlock Knightfall. Online I read I just need to complete 7 side missions. Any insight into clarifying what the requirements are for Knightfall would be great.

I beat the main story and 7 side missions, but it says I need 3 more to unlock Knightfall. Online I read I just need to complete 7 side missions. Any insight into clarifying what the requirements are for Knightfall would be great.

It's seemingly random — I've had where I could initiate the protocol at 7/14, but I've also had a playthrough where I needed more to do so. I still haven't tested it out to see what the deal is though.

It's glitched. I completed what I needed to and it still didnt activate. I went and did one more (the firefighter one) and then it worked.

Other people get totally different results. Some people even completed all of them and it still wouldnt activate, but since they had no more to do they were stuck.

Maximus.

It's seemingly random — I've had where I could initiate the protocol at 7/14, but I've also had a playthrough where I needed more to do so. I still haven't tested it out to see what the deal is though.

It's glitched. I completed what I needed to and it still didnt activate. I went and did one more (the firefighter one) and then it worked.

Other people get totally different results. Some people even completed all of them and it still wouldnt activate, but since they had no more to do they were stuck.

That is so lame! It's telling me to do 3 more, but the remaining side missions have so many components. This isn't how I thought the game would end! Before I finished the main quest, I finished all the side missions I enjoyed. Really demotivating to hear it's glitched or random :/

Ashtar

So you can drive the 89 bat mobile around town? Can't lie I'm tempted to buy the season pass for 30 considering I was going to buy the goty edition anyway.... I wonder if there'll be a second season pass

That is so lame! It's telling me to do 3 more, but the remaining side missions have so many components. This isn't how I thought the game would end! Before I finished the main quest, I finished all the side missions I enjoyed. Really demotivating to hear it's glitched or random :/

Yeah same here, I had already done all the ones I wanted to do. But hey I only had to do one more and it unlocked so maybe youll be lucky like me.

ArchAngelZXV

Neo Member
So you can drive the 89 bat mobile around town? Can't lie I'm tempted to buy the season pass for 30 considering I was going to buy the goty edition anyway.... I wonder if there'll be a second season pass

The 1989 Batmobile can be used in Story Mode, but it looks like it can only be used after finishing the main story missions. It also doesn't have a tank mode, so it doesn't have most of its weapons and gadgets. It only has the sideswipe and lock on missile when chasing cars, so making progress in some side stories is impossible unless you switch back to a normal car.

Yeah i just bought the 89'pack and Red Hood separately. Don't really care for anything else.

It's fun to drive it around taking out the remaining military checkpoints and looking for firefighters. It can also be used in all Racetrack VR missions and the Road Rage VR missions that don't require weapons.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Guys please help. I died or something doing the 'follow the weapons truck' main mission. Now the quest market leads nowhere. I've done missions in the mean time but it still won't reactivate. Please help!

Guys please help. I died or something doing the 'follow the weapons truck' main mission. Now the quest market leads nowhere. I've done missions in the mean time but it still won't reactivate. Please help!

Hold L1 or something on the game save select screen. It'll load backup saves, I think there's three of them

Top Bottom