• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Bluth54

So, I finally got to the part where I learned the Arkham Knight's identity.

Jason Todd? Really? What happened about Rocksteady promising that it would be a brand new character, as opposed to Red Hood simply wearing another mask over his hood? What a downer.

At least it's a decent boss fight.

This does lend credence to a certain theory about Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, though. I'm even more convinced that
the Joker in that movie is Jason Todd, since I don't think it's a coincidence that both he and the Arkham Knight have a "J" branded/tattooed on his left cheek.

Did you really expect the Arkham Knight to be anyone other then
Jason Todd?
I was about 95% sure that's who it would be going into the game despite what Rocksteady said since of course they weren't going to spoil who the character really was.

Jason Todd?
I was about 95% sure that's who it would be going into the game despite what Rocksteady said since of course they weren't going to spoil who the character really was.
I thought it wasn't because of how obvious the answer would've been. I wouldn't have minded had the reveal itself not been built up so much and if there was some follow up/conclusion to that story arc.

Jason Todd?
It was painfully obvious who it was since a trailer last year where he said something (
"old man"
) but I was really hoping it would be someone else.
I was hoping it was Azrael, Hush, or Anarky. Anarky was the front runner for me even as I started playing the game, due to the "A" etched on the table in the diner intro.
Oh well..

neoism

100% <3 most definitely one of my favorite bman games looooved it loved the batmoblie.... well get the goty edition next year....

100% <3 most definitely one of my favorite bman games looooved it loved the batmoblie.... well get the goty edition next year....

Now get 200 percent

After playing the hell out of this, I suspect it'll be a long time before another completely action-focused Batman game surpasses this one in how comprehensive of "Batman simulator" is is — I can't imagine a game being made any time soon that includes so many Batman abilities/gadgets that are seamlessly usable by the player, and on such a scale.

The next game will be scaled back in scope and hopefully take a considerably different approach to combat (predator gameplay never overstayed its welcome though). A future open world Batman game that makes an appropriately leap above AK will be an absolute doozy for whoever develops it.

neoism

Now get 200 percent

After playing the hell out of this, I suspect it'll be a long time before another completely action-focused Batman game surpasses this one in how comprehensive of "Batman simulator" is is &#8212; I can't imagine a game being made any time soon that includes so many Batman abilities/gadgets that are seamlessly usable by the player, and on such a scale.

The next game will be scaled back in scope and hopefully take a considerably different approach to combat (predator gameplay never overstayed its welcome though). A future open world Batman game that makes an appropriately leap above AK will be an absolute doozy for whoever develops it.
do you get anythang... for 200% i will keep my save and do that with the game of the year edition ..

do you get anythang... for 200% i will keep my save and do that with the game of the year edition ..

Nah, not really, aside from the alternate opening. You get to hear the alternate dialogue from villains depending on whether you complete their side missions before or after the last story mission though.

-Deimos

That stupid game-breaking "Secure area to continue" bug finally fixed itself. I don't even know if I should continue playing now or wait until the PC patch.

I was away on vacation for a little over a week. Come back to see available skins and photo mode!?

CMBSQ2JWEAA-R0m.jpg:orig

Dat photo mode!

(twitter compression)

People keep talking about a "relaunch" for the PC version but I guarantee you that all they're going to do is throw as many fixes as they can at what's already there.

That seems more like it's referring to the game being put back up for sale, and since it was taken down everywhere, that has to happen.

It's definitely going to be branded in such a way (e.g. a "relaunch" or "definitive edition" or some crap) by WB in an attempt to spin the image the PC release has had.

Krelian

Riddler apprehended. Didn't want to do all the riddles last so now the only Most Wanted left is
Deathstroke
. He won't be quite as time consuming I imagine.

I must say this is probably one of my favorite games this year. The batmobile stuff wasn't as bad as most people made it seem either. I'm glad I ignored all the criticism.

Alpende

Riddler apprehended. Didn't want to do all the riddles last so now the only Most Wanted left is
Deathstroke
. He won't be quite as time consuming I imagine.

I must say this is probably one of my favorite games this year. The batmobile stuff wasn't as bad as most people made it seem either. I'm glad I ignored all the criticism.

I agree with you. The Batmobile stuff isn't that bad it's just too overused.

Brutality 101 is pissing me off so so much. I get to 13-14 and then anxiety or bad luck kicks in. Last trophy. Dont know if i can go on. I hate the game so much right now.

theaface

Brutality 101 is pissing me off so so much. I get to 13-14 and then anxiety or bad luck kicks in. Last trophy. Dont know if i can go on. I hate the game so much right now.

Are you pausing between moves? That really helped for me. Generally I would keep vaulting over enemies, thinking carefully about which move I wanted to do next and if I couldn't think of something on the spot, I just paused, checked the combo list, readied myself and unpaused. It makes the whole experience a lot slower, more deliberate and ultimately easier.

Are you pausing between moves? That really helped for me. Generally I would keep vaulting over enemies, thinking carefully about which move I wanted to do next and if I couldn't think of something on the spot, I just paused, checked the combo list, readied myself and unpaused. It makes the whole experience a lot slower, more deliberate and ultimately easier.

Sounds like a Plan. Ive written down the moves. Maybe i should make a check list out of it.

The thing that pisses me off is, whenever i think now it is going to work, some thug punches me, while im stun jumping another and counter doesnt work as it should.

Birbo

So I'm nearing the end. Couple of quick questions:

• On the main story, my next mission is to
    track down Gordon who is transmitting on an encrypted frequency.
    If I start this part, will it lead to the end of the game?
  • I know there are three different endings depending on how many side missions you complete. How much do I need to complete for the second ending? No way I'm putting myself through finding all those Riddler ?s for 100%
  • Trying to 100% most of the side missions to try and at least get the second ending. Some of them, like Campaign for Disarmament, I've completed everything listed, but it's not 100% Is it because I have to complete more of the main story still?

GeoGonzo

So I'm nearing the end. Couple of quick questions:

• On the main story, my next mission is to
    track down Gordon who is transmitting on an encrypted frequency.
    If I start this part, will it lead to the end of the game?
  • I know there are three different endings depending on how many side missions you complete. How much do I need to complete for the second ending? No way I'm putting myself through finding all those Riddler ?s for 100%
  • Trying to 100% most of the side missions to try and at least get the second ending. Some of them, like Campaign for Disarmament, I've completed everything listed, but it's not 100% Is it because I have to complete more of the main story still?

Its weird how people have been saying there are 3 endings, you aren't the first to think that seeing one means not getting the others. That's not how it works: You finish the campaign and get to see the end of the story (like in Batman:AC), then you are dropped back into free roam where you can do some more side missions to unlock an epilogue and after that if you complete EVERYTHING you get an extended epilogue. Both epilogues are simply cinematics which you can look up in youtube if you don't feel like playing more Batman:AK. They are completely optional.

KevinG

I left off at the stealth
tank stuff right before facing the Cloudburst tank.
Incredibly frustrating to be so near to the end of the game and just stop playing, but no fun was being had, evening after evening, still failing to finish off the small ones before I even made it to the big one.

Its weird how people have been saying there are 3 endings, you aren't the first to think that seeing one means not getting the others. That's not how it works: You finish the campaign and get to see the end of the story (like in Batman:AC), then you are dropped back into free roam where you can do some more side missions to unlock an epilogue and after that if you complete EVERYTHING you get an extended epilogue. Both epilogues are simply cinematics which you can look up in youtube if you don't feel like playing more Batman:AK. They are completely optional.

In Halo-ish terms, if they happen to be a Halo player:

Beat main storyline, you get a soft ending (concludes main storyline but not the end of the game). It'd be sorta like playing Reach without playing Lone Wolf (the mission, not the gametype).

Start Knightfall mission, get the normal true ending.

Start Knightfall mission after finishing everything 100%, get the legendary ending (like Halo 3's forerunner planet).

NEO0MJ

So, I just reached the part of the story where
Barbra kills herself.
Is this the plot-point that caused some controversy?

Birbo

Thanks for clearing it up for me. Back to the main storyline tonight!

I left off at the stealth
tank stuff right before facing the Cloudburst tank.
Incredibly frustrating to be so near to the end of the game and just stop playing, but no fun was being had, evening after evening, still failing to finish off the small ones before I even made it to the big one.
FYI you can hack the Cobra tanks once you have 2x energy, it really helps.

RDreamer

Jesus this game blows sometimes.

I'm at a part near the end of the game and it's trying to tell me how to aerial attack a brute with a shield and the combo just doesn't fucking work. It's supposed to be O > XX > Square. How the hell do I do this? Is there some sort of trick, because I just tried with only him alive for like 10 minutes, died, then did it again. Nothing. Can't do that combo.

Jesus this game blows sometimes.

I'm at a part near the end of the game and it's trying to tell me how to aerial attack a brute with a shield and the combo just doesn't fucking work. It's supposed to be O > XX > Square. How the hell do I do this? Is there some sort of trick, because I just tried with only him alive for like 10 minutes, died, then did it again. Nothing. Can't do that combo.

The aerial attack is "O > XX." That stuns them (similar to how the aerial attack works on normal shield enemies). The "Square" part of the prompt indicates a beatdown since it;s flashing.

You cape stun them, the double tap jump into them (Batman jumps above the shield, then lands on the enemy), then &#8212; once they have stars above their head &#8212; keep mashing attack until they're knocked out.

RDreamer

The aerial attack is "O > XX." That stuns them (similar to how the aerial attack works on normal shield enemies). The "Square" part of the prompt indicates a beatdown since it;s flashing.

You cape stun them, the double tap jump into them (Batman jumps above the shield, then lands on the enemy), then — once they have stars above their head — keep mashing attack until they're knocked out.

Problem is that Batman doesn't jump above the shield. When I stun them and try to double tap X he just leaps around like a fucking idiot behind them.

Problem is that Batman doesn't jump above the shield. When I stun them and try to double tap X he just leaps around like a fucking idiot behind them.

You're not doing the "X,X" soon enough after the cape stun then. Either that or you're experiencing a glitch I haven't heard of yet.

RDreamer

You're not doing the "X,X" soon enough after the cape stun then. Either that or you're experiencing a glitch I haven't heard of yet.

Searched it and it seems at least one other person had that problem on PC though.

I've tried every speed I can think of with that XX combo. I'll try again tomorrow. I had this problem earlier in the game once, too, and had to do something else to take him out eventually.

BFIB

Searched it and it seems at least one other person had that problem on PC though.

I've tried every speed I can think of with that XX combo. I'll try again tomorrow. I had this problem earlier in the game once, too, and had to do something else to take him out eventually.
Had the same on the docks saving the firefighter.

Shiv47

I've had that problem with the cape stun attack as well; I can't notice a difference in what I'm doing when it works, but it can be annoying. Enjoying the 1939 suit at the moment, though I wish the mask was a bit more stylized like the comics then. I can't decide if I want to play NG+ or not. Currently finishing the militia towers.

dankir

Just got the 100% ending so damn cool!! This ending makes me feel Mark Hamill is the best voice actor ever.

Is the bat demon real or was that just a figment of the thugs imagination? Love the scene by scene walkthrough of the older games.
Also at the end of Arkham City where you hear Harley singing the lullaby what happened with that storyline?

HardRojo

It's been a hell of a ride and I finally got the Platinum trophy some minutes ago. Arkham Asylum will still be my favorite Batman game but this one definitely met my expectations and I didn't hate the Batmobile as much as other people did, although I agree it was somewhat overused and I definitely was disappointed at
Deathstroke's tank battle

CMPWsWSWwAEv9Cc.jpg:large

That Platinum trophy will definitely be mine, just gotta play and finish New Game +.

Swore I wouldn't start that 'til the Keaton, 70s and Dick Grayson Batsuits released. Mighty tempted to just start now though, given the newly available skins that came out last week.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's been a hell of a ride and I finally got the Platinum trophy some minutes ago. Arkham Asylum will still be my favorite Batman game but this one definitely met my expectations and I didn't hate the Batmobile as much as other people did, although I agree it was somewhat overused and I definitely was disappointed at
Deathstroke's tank battle

CMPWsWSWwAEv9Cc.jpg:large

How odd, I got the platinum today too, around the time you posted this.

Symphonia

Banned
Is the bat demon real or was that just a figment of the thugs imagination? Love the scene by scene walkthrough of the older games.
It left me wondering, is it supposed to be Scarecrow’s fear gas? Has Bruce Wayne returned as Batman and is now using the gas? That seems a little out of character and rather overboard for Batman.
Another answer could be that Bruce Wayne is now Batman full-time and perpetuating a myth that Batman is now an undead demon ghost. This seems plausible on some level because Batman states in the game that there needs to be something more defending Gotham, a concept beyond Batman. Thus turning Batman into a terrifying vengeance seeking ghost is a lot scarier than him being a really rich guy with lots of gadgets. That keeps criminals on their toes and more apprehensive to follow rich people down alleyways, if Bat-ghost might materialise.

Although I’m still left wondering why criminals would not be afraid of Batman anymore and why Bat-ghost would be necessary. By this point in the timeline everyone knows Batman is flesh and blood and not a myth or a monster. Overheard dialogue throughout the three Rocksteady games shows that people know Batman is out there and that he makes use of gadgets, not superpowers, yet they’re still afraid of him.
Another thought I had was that it’s symbolic. That the whole world turning to fire and Bat-demon isn’t fear gas or literal, but symbolic of the fear the crooks feel at seeing Batman out there. But again, this seems to clash with the fact that the thugs literally call out to Batman and tell him they’re not afraid. Then of course there’s the chance there’s DLC coming that will answer who it is. If this is the case, I’d expect this demon Batman to be some copycat who got hold of some Scarecrow fear gas. But I don’t feel like this is the case, as weird as that final scene is I do get the impression it’s supposed to be the end of the story.

Unfortunately I just feel like the ending encapsulates the main problem I had with Arkham Knight: the story is very inconsistent. Some story beats hit perfectly while others fall flat and end in disappointment or are surprisingly straightforward. For instance why does Scarecrow act so radically different than he did in Arkham Asylum? Does his plan really just boil down to ‘I don’t like Batman and I like people being scared?’ The Arkham Knight was a good idea but the reveal of who he is is teased out for so long that it goes from being fairly obvious to begin with, to blindingly apparent thanks to multiple indicators later on. You end up in a situation where there’s no mystery left and it seems silly that Batman is still scratching his head over who it could be. The world’s greatest detective can scan bones, detect scar tissue through clothing, analyse Azrael’s brain but he can’t figure out that the person inches from his face is somebody he trained for years? Time to update detective vision I think…

Arkham City had multiple story threads that complimented each other, even the final hour of the game had multiple twists and clever moments that made everything clearer. But Arkham Knight juggles its plot threads in a much more haphazard manner. Is this a game about Scarecrow? Joker again? Or Jason Todd? The family theme is a strong one but it gets muddled in with other plot beats and as a whole the game feels pretty unfocused. Having Batman unmasked and giving up also feels tacked on and worryingly like it might have been done just because Rocksteady are ready to leave Batman behind. Like this Knightfall ending, it doesn’t feel like a natural end to the game.

HardRojo

How odd, I got the platinum today too, around the time you posted this.
Heh, big coincidence. Congrats on the Platinum!
It left me wondering, is it supposed to be Scarecrow’s fear gas? Has Bruce Wayne returned as Batman and is now using the gas? That seems a little out of character and rather overboard for Batman.
Another answer could be that Bruce Wayne is now Batman full-time and perpetuating a myth that Batman is now an undead demon ghost. This seems plausible on some level because Batman states in the game that there needs to be something more defending Gotham, a concept beyond Batman. Thus turning Batman into a terrifying vengeance seeking ghost is a lot scarier than him being a really rich guy with lots of gadgets. That keeps criminals on their toes and more apprehensive to follow rich people down alleyways, if Bat-ghost might materialise.

Although I’m still left wondering why criminals would not be afraid of Batman anymore and why Bat-ghost would be necessary. By this point in the timeline everyone knows Batman is flesh and blood and not a myth or a monster. Overheard dialogue throughout the three Rocksteady games shows that people know Batman is out there and that he makes use of gadgets, not superpowers, yet they’re still afraid of him.
Another thought I had was that it’s symbolic. That the whole world turning to fire and Bat-demon isn’t fear gas or literal, but symbolic of the fear the crooks feel at seeing Batman out there. But again, this seems to clash with the fact that the thugs literally call out to Batman and tell him they’re not afraid. Then of course there’s the chance there’s DLC coming that will answer who it is. If this is the case, I’d expect this demon Batman to be some copycat who got hold of some Scarecrow fear gas. But I don’t feel like this is the case, as weird as that final scene is I do get the impression it’s supposed to be the end of the story.

Unfortunately I just feel like the ending encapsulates the main problem I had with Arkham Knight: the story is very inconsistent. Some story beats hit perfectly while others fall flat and end in disappointment or are surprisingly straightforward. For instance why does Scarecrow act so radically different than he did in Arkham Asylum? Does his plan really just boil down to ‘I don’t like Batman and I like people being scared?’ The Arkham Knight was a good idea but the reveal of who he is is teased out for so long that it goes from being fairly obvious to begin with, to blindingly apparent thanks to multiple indicators later on. You end up in a situation where there’s no mystery left and it seems silly that Batman is still scratching his head over who it could be. The world’s greatest detective can scan bones, detect scar tissue through clothing, analyse Azrael’s brain but he can’t figure out that the person inches from his face is somebody he trained for years? Time to update detective vision I think…

Arkham City had multiple story threads that complimented each other, even the final hour of the game had multiple twists and clever moments that made everything clearer. But Arkham Knight juggles its plot threads in a much more haphazard manner. Is this a game about Scarecrow? Joker again? Or Jason Todd? The family theme is a strong one but it gets muddled in with other plot beats and as a whole the game feels pretty unfocused. Having Batman unmasked and giving up also feels tacked on and worryingly like it might have been done just because Rocksteady are ready to leave Batman behind. Like this Knightfall ending, it doesn’t feel like a natural end to the game.

I kind of interpreted that way at first but now I prefer to believe Dick took over and became Batman while Bruce Wayne went into hiding and had everyone else believe he's "dead". I don't accept him killing himself and Alfred shortly after revealing his true identity.

Chitown B

Heh, big coincidence. Congrats on the Platinum!

I kind of interpreted that way at first but now I prefer to believe Dick took over and became Batman while Bruce Wayne went into hiding and had everyone else believe he's "dead". I don't accept him killing himself and Alfred shortly after revealing his true identity.

None of that part makes sense to me because the bad guys didn't have gas on them when they saw the vision, it was only surrounding him far away.

VanWinkle

Rocksteady released a video about the Batman 89 DLC. The Batmobile and the track look pretty cool. There's also a sneak peek at one of the Robin combat challenges that will come next month. I am really not a fan of the AR stuff, can't they just give us normal challenge maps like the previous games?

https://www.facebook.com/BatmanArkham/videos/1024567877575704

As somebody who didn't play any of the Arkham games until AK, what is the difference between the AR challenge maps that are in AK and the challenge maps that were in the previous games?

Top Bottom