• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

The next PC patch has more than we thought.

Not really. All of that is stuff most PC releases have at release (e.g. anisotropic filtering and framerate options), or are problems that shouldn't have existed in the first place (e.g. hitching that has been unavoidable for many regardless of settings).

If it came with all the DLC and photo mode, then that'd be more than we thought. This is the minimum.

vladdamad

So is the new '89 DLC worth it for the price it's at now, or should I just wait for a massive sale on the Season Pass and get everything in on go?

Ok, so I just finished up the part where
you capture the 3 jokers and take out Harley and find out Batman is the 5th Joker. Neat, that's all great.

But where did the Jason Todd stuff come from? Was he the Robin in Origins, because I never played that. Anyway, I'm only 50% through the game (I know that's variable based on side mission progress) but I start seeing these hallucinations with Joker and Jason and it kind of feels like they just dropped this on me out of nowhere. And this essentially confirmed for me that he's the Arkham Knight. I mean I know Joker shot him pointblank but that seemed like a pretty obvious curve ball and he either survived or it was some kind of body double for the recording. Either way Batman still doesn't let on that he thinks it might be Jason so I'm assuming he still thinks Jason's dead.

So I guess what I'm asking is why did Rocksteady spoil this half way through the game by throwing a new character at me who perfectly fits the bill as the Arkham Knight, aside from supposedly being dead? Was that the catch? Was I supposed to think he was the Knight and then the ambiguous execution was supposed to throw me off that line of thinking only to realize he survived or it wasn't him?

I guess I wish they would've set it up earlier in the game better, unless I missed something or forgot. It just seemed so random to throw that storyline in there and then basically slap me in the face with the Arkham Knight's identity while dopey Batman is still unsure who it is.

you capture the 3 jokers and take out Harley and find out Batman is the 5th Joker. Neat, that's all great.

But where did the Jason Todd stuff come from? Was he the Robin in Origins, because I never played that. Anyway, I'm only 50% through the game (I know that's variable based on side mission progress) but I start seeing these hallucinations with Joker and Jason and it kind of feels like they just dropped this on me out of nowhere. And this essentially confirmed for me that he's the Arkham Knight. I mean I know Joker shot him pointblank but that seemed like a pretty obvious curve ball and he either survived or it was some kind of body double for the recording. Either way Batman still doesn't let on that he thinks it might be Jason so I'm assuming he still thinks Jason's dead.

So I guess what I'm asking is why did Rocksteady spoil this half way through the game by throwing a new character at me who perfectly fits the bill as the Arkham Knight, aside from supposedly being dead? Was that the catch? Was I supposed to think he was the Knight and then the ambiguous execution was supposed to throw me off that line of thinking only to realize he survived or it wasn't him?

I guess I wish they would've set it up earlier in the game better, unless I missed something or forgot. It just seemed so random to throw that storyline in there and then basically slap me in the face with the Arkham Knight's identity while dopey Batman is still unsure who it is.

The timeline is confusing and hard to put together since details come from all over the place. This helps:

http://arkhamcity.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

You're right about the character being introduced out of nowhere in the series, but the placement of that "flashback"was meant to parallel
playing alongside the current Robin. The flashback to Oracle's shooting coincided with her getting kidnapped and the Jason flashbacks coincide with Robin being in the overrun Panessa Studios. Probably as part of the fear toxin exposure, playing on Batman's fear/guilt. Right after the scenes of Jason being tortured, it shows Tim running to meet up with Batman. Here's a Robin who was tortured to death, who ended up in that situation because of Batman, and now here's another Robin being put at risk

You're right about the character being introduced out of nowhere in the series, but the placement of that "flashback"was meant to parallel
playing alongside the current Robin. The flashback to Oracle's shooting coincided with her getting kidnapped and the Jason flashbacks coincide with Robin being in the overrun Panessa Studios. Probably as part of the fear toxin exposure, playing on Batman's fear/guilt. Right after the scenes of Jason being tortured, it shows Tim running to meet up with Batman. Here's a Robin who was tortured to death, who ended up in that situation because of Batman, and now here's another Robin being put at risk

That makes sense, I should've seen that since it's the first time you're actually alongside Tim.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So, I'm currently downloading the Scarecrow Nightmare Missions. Should I lower my expectations for this? What is it exactly, a couple of racing tracks?

Just got to the part where you have to
destroy the cloudburst.

This isn't even fun, it's just tedious. And I never realized how shitty I am at controlling that Batmobile til this fight. I actually thought I was pretty decent with it, but then I try to boost away and the camera does this bullshit pull away thing so I lose perspective on where I'm at and it feels like the frames drop or it goes into a slight slow-mo or something and I lose control. Just lame.

Just got to the part where you have to
destroy the cloudburst.

This isn't even fun, it's just tedious. And I never realized how shitty I am at controlling that Batmobile til this fight. I actually thought I was pretty decent with it, but then I try to boost away and the camera does this bullshit pull away thing so I lose perspective on where I'm at and it feels like the frames drop or it goes into a slight slow-mo or something and I lose control. Just lame.

go into first-person

Playing through New Game Plus and was enjoying it a lot. Even started enjoying the Tank sections more.

Then I got to the
GCPD Militia Assault
and what the fuck is this nonsense

I try to stay in a corner and pick people off?

blown the fuck up by lock on missiles from offscreen

I try to evade and use Oracle's hacks to deal most of the damage?

Try to use the environment to my advantage for cover?

Try to balance out drone hacks and EMPs to cover myself from all angles?

Thing is, this battle was actually fun on a regular playthrough. It just feels like bullshit now.

Edit: Okay, "the complain to GAF and miraculously get past the portion you're having trouble with" phenomenon is real. Got past it right after making this post.

But I maintain that that particular encounter on New Game+ is one of the most bullshit portions of any Arkham game.

Shouldn't everything be easier on NG+ though since you'll have more upgrades? Even the bigger hand-to-hand fights get trivialized with combo gadgets

It should, but I'm pretty sure New Game+ increases the amount of damage you take, since it forces the "Knightmare" difficulty when you play it.

Not a big deal for hand to hand combat (which is easier), and not even that big a deal with a majority of the tank encounters (which are a little more tense this time around,but in an enjoyable way for the most part). It's really just that one encounter that gets exponentially difficult because of the sheer volume of shit being thrown your way in proportion to how much damage the Batmobile can take on NG+.

So, I'm currently downloading the Scarecrow Nightmare Missions. Should I lower my expectations for this? What is it exactly, a couple of racing tracks?

You didn't get much info, but I suspect you've played it by now. It's 3 levels of what's basically a race, then at the end of each you battle mode up and fight a boss. Pretty fun, I thought, but nothing like the 1989 races which tickled me with nostalgia.

Alpende

Playing through New Game Plus and was enjoying it a lot. Even started enjoying the Tank sections more.

Then I got to the
GCPD Militia Assault
and what the fuck is this nonsense

I try to stay in a corner and pick people off?

I try to evade and use Oracle's hacks to deal most of the damage?

Try to use the environment to my advantage for cover?

Try to balance out drone hacks and EMPs to cover myself from all angles?

Thing is, this battle was actually fun on a regular playthrough. It just feels like bullshit now.

Edit: Okay, "the complain to GAF and miraculously get past the portion you're having trouble with" phenomenon is real. Got past it right after making this post.

But I maintain that that particular encounter on New Game+ is one of the most bullshit portions of any Arkham game.

I had a lot of problems the first time with that encounter. In NG+ I nailed it in one go. Just make your way to the back streets and you're fine.

Bollocks

Finally beat the game and watched the true ending on youtube since I wanted to have it done before MGSV drops and no way I would have had time to get to it legit.

omg what an end, LOVED it.
except for the
arkham knight reveal
, that was disappointing.
but other then that what an ending, fitting end to an awesome series. (considering this is rocksteadys last batman game)

Am I the only one who cheered when
the batmobile got destroyed
, only to find out they got a backup? :D

Got the New Game+ trophy, and the Platinum (the third one I've ever had) trophy along with it.

Might go back to Asylum and City to Platinum those, too. I only had some of the Challenge Room trophies left in both games, anyway.

AsfaeksBR

Decided to play the Harley Quinn and Red Hood's story packs, and then it hit me: The reason I love Arkham Knight so much is the Batmobile.

Really, I LOVE driving that beast and battling in it way more than hand-to-hand combat.
Hope the next DLC's have some Batmobile sections.

And this made me pre-order Mad Max, since it's focused on the car and the car combat! Can't wait!

NEO0MJ

So, how long should it take to collect enough Riddler trophies to unlock all his main missions? I just beat the game with him being the only villain left to be captured. I collected a few while playing but I doubt they amount to much in the grand scheme of things and am worried it will be too big of a time sink. Also, what happens if
you went for the sword instead of the elevator with Azrael?

So, how long should it take to collect enough Riddler trophies to unlock all his main missions? I just beat the game with him being the only villain left to be captured. I collected a few while playing but I doubt they amount to much in the grand scheme of things and am worried it will be too big of a time sink. Also, what happens if

Depends on whether you've interrogated Riddler informants already

Azrael picks it up and you then get the choice to kill or spare Batman. If you choose to spare him, Azrael breaks the sword in half and says he'll go after The Order of St. Dumas and stop them. If you kill Batman, Batman knocks him out and locks him up in the GCPD.

If you take the sword, then you're given two options: Use it on Batman, or break the sword in two. The latter is the same as going for the elevator: Azrael and Bats part on good terms, with Azrael focusing his attention on getting revenge on the order for brainwashing him. If you try to use it on Batman, he grabs it, knocks Azrael's ass out, and takes him to GCPD, where the Maximum Security total will be bumped up by one to account for him.

Alpende

Not enough, unfortunately. Guess I'll just go around town causing havoc until I have enough.

One tip, if you have Riddler trophies left on one island but can't find informants on that island anymore just try to find informants on other islands. They can reveal Riddler locations on other islands as well.

Does anyone experience severe UI slowdown when on the dash while the game is running on PS4?

When I get a trophy to pop most times hitting the PS button does nothing. Once the notification goes away I can press it again but it obviously goes to the dash and then it crawls while I try to navigate to the trophies.

Is it this way for anyone else? I guess I should try a different background theme, maybe one that's not dynamic til I finish Arkham Knight? It seems like it's only happening while this game is running.

Think im one of the few who actually enjoyed figuring out each and every riddler trophy. They really did an amazing job with this game I loved every minute.

Does anyone experience severe UI slowdown when on the dash while the game is running on PS4?

When I get a trophy to pop most times hitting the PS button does nothing. Once the notification goes away I can press it again but it obviously goes to the dash and then it crawls while I try to navigate to the trophies.

Is it this way for anyone else? I guess I should try a different background theme, maybe one that's not dynamic til I finish Arkham Knight? It seems like it's only happening while this game is running.

No, it happened to me a lot as well, and I've only ever used the default PS4 theme. I imagine the game is just really resource intensive.

Reule

No, it happened to me a lot as well, and I've only ever used the default PS4 theme. I imagine the game is just really resource intensive.
Not sure if its related but I noticed when I would take screenshots or video with the Share button, it wouldn't bring up the Share Menu right away. Either there would be a delay or I'd have to press again for it to come up. This wouldn't happen all the time but maybe the game doesn't play nice sometimes with PS4 functions.

So I started playing this during the weekend and have a question regarding the ending(s). I haven't finished the game yet so no spoiler please. From what I understand there are multiple endings, and my question is basically how to unlock them. I'm about halfway through the campaign I would guess.
I just got the batwing into the last island to scan for the device they stole from Stagg.
So what I'm wondering is do I have to complete all the side-missions before going through the rest of the story (getting all the riddler trophies being the main hurdle) or can I finish the campaign, do the riddler stuff and then get the last ending?

The reason why I'm asking here is because googling it means a whole lot of spoilers come up while I basically just want a yes/no answer.

RavenH2

I've been playing a lot but haven't finnished the game yet (XB1). I'm at 76% and last night the game crashed when
I tried to go back to Stagg Industries to get the remaining Riddler Trophies. As soon as I enter the main room of the second blimp (where Stagg was imprisoned) theres a brief monologue of batman saying Stagg escaped and the militia are guarding the area. However I can only enter from the door with the finger print scan (theres a guard right in front of me and batman gets stuck in the door.
Once I'm killed the game crashes. If I restart before I'm killed, I'm stuck on the floor, and again the game crashes.

I went for the backup save and tried to enter
through the hole that the Cloudburst left, but I can't use the voice scan to open the door (even tho I already have the gadget and have used it already in the first blimp to get some riddler trophies)

After many attempts, and frustration (thank god for a save recovery system), I chose to go on with the story. But I want to finnish all side activities before the endgame.

Has anyone had a similar crash? Is there a workaround?

For clarification:
I tried to go for
Stagg Industries after locking Robin up in the Cell in Panessa Studios

Edit: After doing some careful reading evading tons of spoilers, it may seem that tried to skip ahead of the game a little and therefor it crashes?

Some concept art from someone who works with WB Montreal came out, confirming some of the skins found when the game was datamined:

Robin's getting a Damian skin:

sPhU8rUh.jpg

The datamined files referred to an Alex Ross batsuit. Turns out it's this one:

Said files also made reference to a Jim Lee batsuit. Predictably, it's the one from Hush:

The most interesting find is that Red Hood is getting a skin based off his appearance in Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin run. Previously, Batgirl was the only DLC character who had placeholder files for skin DLC found in the game data.

Nice to see the DLC characters will probably get skins. I imagine Harley's probably going to get her original costume from the Batgirl DLC and maybe her Arkham Asylum/City costumes down the line, then.

Mr. Sam

I honestly thought the first appearance Batman skin looked great, even if the cape clipped through the right shoulder a bit. I also thought the default looks for Robin and Nightwing were awful.

do people really care that much about all these skins? I rarely even notice which character skin I have.

Well, I appreciate the effort put into them, and they amount to a pretty decent amount of fanservice across the Batman spectrum in general so yeah, I kinda care about them.

And as stated above, Robin and Nightwing's default.designs are fucking terrible, so it's nice to have alternatives.

Melchiah

I just recently returned to the game after two months break, and relearning the controls seems pretty daunting. My question is, can the side missions be done after completing the main story, or do you have to do them inbetween the main missions?

Birbo

I just recently returned to the game after two months break, and relearning the controls seems pretty daunting. My question is, can the side missions be done after completing the main story, or do you have to do them inbetween the main missions?

Nope, you can do the side missions after the main story if you like.

How many people have actually completed Batman with the "True" ending by getting all Riddler trophies?

Also how crucial is that ending to the overall story?

I want to go for it but I don't have time to get every Riddler trophy with MGS V days away.
Also I'll feel slightly like a chump if I just watched it on YT or something.

Melchiah

How many people have actually completed Batman with the "True" ending by getting all Riddler trophies?

Also how crucial is that ending to the overall story?

I want to go for it but I don't have time to get every Riddler trophy with MGS V days away.
Also I'll feel slightly like a chump if I just watched it on YT or something.

So, it's tied to Riddler trophies, and there are no other means to get it, or other alternative endings? If that's the case, I'll just go for the regular one, as I hate the Riddler challenges.

Top Bottom