• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Okay so I need help. Again. %80 done?
I'm in the part where I'm underground in the subway looking for Ivys tree and there are a shitton of tanks and I have the remote hacking device. How do I get passed this? Where do I press a switch to get the Batmobile through

Alienous

Okay so I need help. Again. %80 done?
I'm in the part where I'm underground in the subway looking for Ivys tree and there are a shitton of tanks and I have the remote hacking device. How do I get passed this? Where do I press a switch to get the Batmobile through

I can't quite remember. Check by the main door.

I also couldn't find it initially.

Above all else the presentation in this game is fucking nuts. The camera work, visual trickery, etc. that is constantly happening is incredibly well done.

Every time I find one of the vents you can grapnel into....5 minutes wasted going in and out. The camerawork in this game is so far past anything I've seen in games in real time. In an open-world game on top of that. ON UNREAL ENGINE 3

After those first few...events, the camera made me more nervous than Mario Kart 8. Constant tension. A master class in (not really a spoiler)
horror
(and it's not even a
horror game
lol WTF?)

Not sure how far you guys are, but I feel the need to throw another "you haven't seen shit yet" into the pile ;)

It's probably like the inFamous universe which has Empire City, New Marais, and Seattle.

i haven't looked into this recently, but most major cities are still there in the DCU. all the comic book cities are just additional cities in the universe. for example, there was a decent stretch of time where nightwing was based in new york. i think gotham city is supposed to be a city on the coast of delaware

Drayco21

So I got the white Batmobile and somehow switched back to the black one. How do I switch to the white one when I want to?

Skins for both characters and the Batmobile are changed in the Showcase section of the main menu, you just have to quit out of the main game.

Prototype

Shit, changed my suit in the showcase menu and now I don't look all beat up and it's not letting me change back. Oh well.

Will the new suit acquire damage as I play?

I'd just like to ask something -- are all of you who are SOOOOOO disappointed in this game even fans of open world Batman (Arkham City), or all of you either newcomers to the series and people who still amusingly think Asylum hasn't been toppled and never will? Seriously, I want to know.

Arkham City is probably one of my top 5 games ever, I absolutely adore it. I'm not 'soooo' disappointed with Knight, but I am disappointed. The ludicrous over-use of Batmobile tank battles at every point in the story and side missions is my main problem, as they simply aren't enjoyable after a few repetitions and they don't evolve the way the normal combat and predator stuff does. It's the same thing every time, watch the lines and shoot the turrets; the first tank battle in the game is the same as the last one, except by the end you're facing more enemies. I honestly do love most uses of the Batmobile, from chases to puzzle-solving to just bombing around the city, but half as many tank battles would have been so much more palatable. A quarter, even. There's a fucking lot of them. And there's a tank boss battle towards the end that was so bad (and so uncharacteristically 'messy' for a Rocksteady game) that it's discouraging me from even starting New Game Plus because I just don't want to do it again.

I feel like there's a dearth of long in-door segments, too, with most of the story missions taking place either in the open world or close enough to it that you can still shoot some stuff with your car. The
Zeppelin and Movie Studios
are really the only extended 'dungeons' where that old Asylum/City feeling comes back into play. For all their talk of Gotham's villains having taken over the city, you never actually visit any villain's 'lairs' the way you did in City; they're all confined to dull, repetitive side-missions. Here's Firefly: chase him three times, then watch Batman beat him and take him to the GCPD in a cutscene. Here's Two-Face: stealth his goons three times and take him to the GCPD. Here's Penguin: tail his van a few times, etc etc.

Where are the bossfights? Where's the Mr Freeze 2.0 that turns my expectations of Batman gameplay upside-down? It feels like Rocksteady just gave up on trying to evolve the 'fight guys, stealth guys, solve puzzles in between' formula, and branched off in a different direction with the Batmobile, but I just find it so bizarre that they thought people would enjoy so many tank battles. At the end there are even two distinct moments where they psych you out, try to trick you into thinking you won't have to fight all these bloody tanks again (
after catching Barbara and on the GCPD roof
), and then you do anyway both times!

Every time I find one of the vents you can grapnel into....5 minutes wasted going in and out. The camerawork in this game is so far past anything I've seen in games in real time. In an open-world game on top of that. ON UNREAL ENGINE 3

I can't get over how BIG it all is, for all the animations to be so top-notch, to have alllll these individually made hand-crafted art assets, to write and perform a million lines of dialog, I can see why this could take the better part of 4 years to make. Usually these kind of big open world games have some jank to go along with all that size, but its about as polished(the PS4 version natch) as any more linear AAA title.

And more cinematic, too. The framing and zooms the camera does, the unbroken shots, the use of dutch angles, distortion, lighting, depth of field, slow motion, JUMP SCARES, sound design...and it all just flows very naturally, you almost take it all for granted. Even walking in buildings doesn't have a load screen anymore.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Friend was telling me to play the Harley stuff firs before the main gamet because it comes first in the storyline but what about the Red Hood DLC or the PS4 Scarecrow stuff?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
We doing ranks?

Story: Origins > Knight > City > Asylum
Gameplay: Knight > City > Origins > Asylum
Replay Value: City > Origins > Knight > Asylum

Xux

Friend was telling me to play the Harley stuff firs before the main gamet because it comes first in the storyline but what about the Red Hood DLC or the PS4 Scarecrow stuff?
Scarecrow's stuff can be done whenever in the game. Red Hood's DLC story really isn't connected to the story at all so you can play it whenever.

I can't get over how BIG it all is, for all the animations to be so top-notch, to have alllll these individually made hand-crafted art assets, to write and perform a million lines of dialog, I can see why this could take the better part of 4 years to make. Usually these kind of big open world games have some jank to go along with all that size, but its about as polished(the PS4 version natch) as any more linear AAA title.

And more cinematic, too. The framing and zooms the camera does, the unbroken shots, the use of dutch angles, distortion, lighting, depth of field, slow motion, JUMP SCARES, sound design...and it all just flows very naturally, you almost take it all for granted. Even walking in buildings doesn't have a load screen anymore.

That you can seamlessly glide right into
the airship
at any time (after a certain point) like it's nothin' still blows my mind.

I'm enjoying the overall world design the more I think about it. Instead of being one huge dungeon like Asylum, or a hub for smaller dungeons like City, AK's Gotham is like a big dungeon itself. I've glided headfirst into a ton of story-related predator sections that I wasn't expecting at all. And a lot of the encounter-based most wanted missions (watchtowers and firefighter rescues, specifically) have offered varied, interesting, and challenging encounters despite taking place in the open world. Gotham's scale is also fantastic, with both gliding and driving from one given point to another taking just the right amount of time. The dungeons are more sparse in AK, but the city gameplay is much more compelling than in, well...Arkham City imo.

Emarv

Arkham City is probably one of my top 5 games ever, I absolutely adore it. I'm not 'soooo' disappointed with Knight, but I am disappointed. The ludicrous over-use of Batmobile tank battles at every point in the story and side missions is my main problem, as they simply aren't enjoyable after a few repetitions and they don't evolve the way the normal combat and predator stuff does. It's the same thing every time, watch the lines and shoot the turrets; the first tank battle in the game is the same as the last one, except by the end you're facing more enemies. I honestly do love most uses of the Batmobile, from chases to puzzle-solving to just bombing around the city, but half as many tank battles would have been so much more palatable. A quarter, even. There's a fucking lot of them.

I feel like there's a dearth of long in-door segments, too, with most of the story missions taking place either in the open world or close enough to it that you can still shoot some stuff with your car. The
are really the only extended 'dungeons' where that old Asylum/City feeling comes back into play. For all their talk of Gotham's villains having taken over the city, you never actually visit any villain's 'lairs' the way you did in City; they're all confined to dull, repetitive side-missions. Here's Firefly: chase him three times, then watch Batman beat him and take him to the GCPD in a cutscene. Here's Two-Face: stealth his goons three times and take him to the GCPD. Here's Penguin: tail his van a few times, etc etc.

Where are the bossfights? Where's the Mr Freeze 2.0 that turns my expectations of Batman gameplay upside-down? It feels like Rocksteady just gave up on trying to evolve the 'fight guys, stealth guys, solve puzzles in between' formula, and branched off in a different direction with the Batmobile, but I just find it so bizarre that they thought people would enjoy so many tank battles. At the end there are even two distinct moments where they psych you out, try to trick you into thinking you won't have to fight all these bloody tanks again (

This is all spot on for me.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Arkham City is probably one of my top 5 games ever, I absolutely adore it. I'm not 'soooo' disappointed with Knight, but I am disappointed. The ludicrous over-use of Batmobile tank battles at every point in the story and side missions is my main problem, as they simply aren't enjoyable after a few repetitions and they don't evolve the way the normal combat and predator stuff does. It's the same thing every time, watch the lines and shoot the turrets; the first tank battle in the game is the same as the last one, except by the end you're facing more enemies. I honestly do love most uses of the Batmobile, from chases to puzzle-solving to just bombing around the city, but half as many tank battles would have been so much more palatable. A quarter, even. There's a fucking lot of them. And there's a tank boss battle towards the end that was so bad (and so uncharacteristically 'messy' for a Rocksteady game) that it's discouraging me from even starting New Game Plus because I just don't want to do it again.

Yup, I aslo want to add on the lack of creative gadgets or even a good amount of gadgets all of which are symptomatic of this much more "empty" sprawl of an open world. Both Asylum and City employed a type of Metroidvania design, having you revisit the same locations again but with no gadgets that unlocked new areas of the map. Knight has basically none of this intricate design. You rarely actually do any "dungeon" runs and when you do you only visit the area once. There is no come back to this area later with the Freeze Blast to get to the other side of the area to fight a whole new boss whose area ends up leading back out to a familiar area.

I really miss that tight City/Asylum design.

Solidsoul

Banned
Let me preface. This game is fantastic.

I don't know how to feel though. This game is missing the dungeon-esque charm of the other three games as well as more common thug fights and predator sections. I miss that dearly and I wish there was more of it. But on the other hand, I remember playing Origins and thinking just how similar it was to the other two and wishing for something new. With Arkham Knight, the game feels very new and introduces a lot of cool stuff. I love the batmobile and everything. I'm glad this game is different, but I guess only time will tell if I think this is the best batman game or not.

Tovarisc

I'm confused, does this game have Batman in it or just Battank with supporting character segments? Way way too much of the game has been build around Battank and Batman feels like supporting character for his car.

Let me preface. This game is fantastic.

I don't know how to feel though. This game is missing the dungeon-esque charm of the other three games as well as more common thug fights and predator sections. I miss that dearly and I wish there was more of it. But on the other hand, I remember playing Origins and thiking just how similar it was to the other two and wishing for something new. With Arkham Knight, the game feels very new and introduces a lot of cool stuff. I love the batmobile and everything. I'm glad this game is different, but I guess only time will tell if I think this is the best batman game or not.

The watchtower side missions have some fantastic predator sequences.

That you can seamlessly glide right into
the airship
at any time (after a certain point) like it's nothin' still blows my mind.

I'm enjoying the overall world design the more I think about it. Instead of being one huge dungeon like Asylum, or a hub for smaller dungeons like City, AK's Gotham is like a big dungeon itself. I've glided headfirst into a ton of story-related predator sections that I wasn't expecting at all. And a lot of the encounter-based most wanted missions (watchtowers and firefighter rescues, specifically) have offered varied, interesting, and challenging encounters despite taking place in the open world. Gotham's scale is also fantastic, with both gliding and driving from one given point to another taking just the right amount of time. The dungeons are more sparse in AK, but the city gameplay is much more compelling than in, well...Arkham City imo.

Right, there's a shitload of content in here, most of it quite varied to take advance of the several polished branches of gameplay the series has. And the way they're mixed in with the main story, on top of most them being surprisingly pretty decent, makes them feel important in a way City's activities never did. Do a bit of story here, then a ATV chase, a predator tower takedown, double team with
Nightwing
against
Penguin's goons
, bomb refusal, solving riddles/helping
Catwoman
around town, there's a lot of variety to keep you busy. The percentage counter is quite addictive to your sense of progression, and seeing how you're always rewarded with at least one WayneTech point for the many interesting upgrades is a nice incentive.

I also like how a lot of them you just find. Lot of Arkham Knight is admitingly on rails, like they'll hold your hand as you plant the explosives on Penguin's cache, then you can't detonate it until you close the vault, and then get out of range. OK I get it we got a wide audience we're aiming for here. So its a nice contrast when you just find several of the questlines through context clues. The screeching of
Manbat
, the opera of
Pyg
, the smoking buildings of Firefly, and of course the many riddles. Stuff like the detective vision on the
Pyg
bodies aren't exactly taxing, but I like it as a small bit of variety in-between all the other stuff ya do. Plus, its rare you get to see Batman to actual detective work.

Jocund

Weird, it's greyed out for me...hmm, I'll try to redownload the DLC and see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't work, you could try restoring your license for Arkham Knight (assuming you're on PS4 -- not sure if you can do that on Xbone) I was having the same problem and that fixed it.

- brutes replaced armoured dudes, they seem to sort of ignore timing and have a bunch more reach on attacks, so you have to be quicker on hitting counter/evade. same point, not sure if they changed the counter window or not or just because brutes swing just as fast as regular thugs

Yeah, I've found this to be a problem. The brutes seem to punch outside the normal 'rhythm' of combat. I've quite often been hit by them when coming out of an Instant Takedown or something, before I could manage to dodge, which just doesn't happen with other enemy types.

The Blade Dodge Takedown also doesn't seem to work properly, or at least not the way it used to. In Arkham City it was 100% dependable: you pulled the stick back towards yourself, the camera would swing around, and you'd hold the Counter button between slashes. In Arkham Knight it doesn't seem like the camera swings around, so you have to point the stick away from wherever Batman happens to be pointing. Only sometimes the camera does swing around. I don't know, I'll have to experiment with it some more.

I'm a bit disappointed to see the same old Quickfire Gadgets return, too, and this time there isn't even a Freeze Grenade equivalent (unless I missed a double-tap R2 move?). And, yeah, Quickfire Explosive Gel was totally nerfed. Explosive Gel -> Multi-Ground Takedown combos were godlike in Arkham City.

Other than that, I actually really like all the new additions to the combat. It's one area where this game feels perfectly Rocksteady-ish to me, if that makes sense. When WB Montreal tried to tweak the combat in Arkham Origins they just messed it up, but Rocksteady knows exactly how it should be. I really enjoy the added pressure of having to keep the Medics down at all times (or, alternatively, leaving them alone to do their thing, which might result in better scores in challenges). Having to deal with so many different enemy types makes it feel a lot more rewarding to me.

Top Bottom