• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does handling the Batmobile get easier? Trying to do the timed challenge by the first Riddler challenge and its hell.
I'm terrible at driving in games but I can control the Batmobile better far better than most cars. That first Riddler challenge is introduced too early in the game. I think they should have switched the tracks for the first and second races.

This game has the best cinematic presentation of anything I've ever played. The camera work is exquisite.
The camera work and seamless transitions between cutscene and gameplay are spot on. I love that many games are moving to all real time rendering so this sort of thing can become more common.

VanWinkle

I wish there were just straight up races in this game (I'm early so maybe there is), as I love the arcade handling and the theme and style of the world.

Online batmobile races on closed off courses would be awesome.

This game has the best cinematic presentation of anything I've ever played. The camera work is exquisite.

I know! Blows my mind. The transitions are just seamless.

Does handling the Batmobile get easier? Trying to do the timed challenge by the first Riddler challenge and its hell.

Yeah, just stick with it. I had trouble with that first challenge too and driving around the city wasn't fun for me at first, especially when you're trying to chase something. By the end though I was really comfortable with it, and some of the later driving challenges were actually really fun.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why in the goddamn fuck do developers insist on putting sections in the game that serve no fucking purpose other than to frustrate the ever loving fuck outta you?

I was enjoying the game until I got to these riddler challenges that involve the batmobile nagivating all these obstacles....

I seriously hate this shit in games soooo much....its honestly making me question why I call gaming a hobby. My obsessive compulsive nature forces me to try and finish them.

Seriously fuck you Rocksteady....there was no reason to introduce these into the batman games.

Ya know, I dont mind the sections where you have to shoot the drones, but far too often the batmobile is being used for platforming type shit and why....i just dont get it.

GRaider81

Why in the goddamn fuck do developers insist on putting sections in the game that serve no fucking purpose other than to frustrate the ever loving fuck outta you?

I was enjoying the game until I got to these riddler challenges that involve the batmobile nagivating all these obstacles....

I seriously hate this shit in games soooo much....its honestly making me question why I call gaming a hobby. My obsessive compulsive nature forces me to try and finish them.

Seriously fuck you Rocksteady....

I really liked those sections. Have had tonnes of fun setting times for them......

Carbonox

Not that far in but fuck me I love the Batmobile and how badass it makes you feel bowling around the streets and seeing everyone flee. Takes a while to get used to but I'm enjoying it now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I really liked those sections. Have had tonnes of fun setting times for them......

Would good for you, I fucking hate them. I would imagine someone like you has good reflexes. For people like me with slow reflexes they are just brutal and beyond aggravating.

Like I said, they just frustrate me and give me actual headaches to the point where I seriously question my sanity and if gaming is worth it.

I really wish I this was a joke....

zeemumu

I just finished the main story mission with Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight.
That Joker portion was trippier than anything Arkham Asylum ever did. He literally banished Joker to hell. I wanted an awesome climax to the main story that was more than just the reveal of the Arkham Knight because I kinda figured it out during the first meeting, and Rocksteady delivered.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Seriously fuck you Rocksteady....there was no reason to introduce these into the batman games.

Ya know, I dont mind the sections where you have to shoot the drones, but far too often the batmobile is being used for platforming type shit and why....i just dont get it.
For the platforming/climbing esque bits use tank mode. Way easier to move through tight spaces that way.

I also highly recommend going into game options and switching the Batmobile mode to toggle so you can use the triggers normally.

I don't really enjoy those segments, but I got through them alright. The Batmobile just has a hell of a learning curve to it. The controls are very floaty. At first I was hitting tank mode just to take corners, but I've been easing in to learning how to take corners correctly. It just takes patience.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For the platforming/climbing esque bits use tank mode. Way easier to move through tight spaces that way.

I also highly recommend going into game options and switching the Batmobile mode to toggle so you can use the triggers normally.

I don't really enjoy those segments, but I got through them alright. The Batmobile just has a hell of a learning curve to it. The controls are very floaty. At first I was hitting tank mode just to take corners, but I've been easing in to learning how to take corners correctly. It just takes patience.

Its all about reflexes, in those situations where it requires you to make sudden changes in direction and press buttons to open doors I just cant react fast enough and I often end up getting blown up getting spun around in the wrong direction. Plus, its too easy for me to panic and just go apeshit trying to to change direction that I get buttfucked by the obstacles.

There is a reason why I dont buy racing games.

antitrop

Why Battle Mode isn't set to Toggle by default baffles me.

Sami+

This game feels really bloated. I want to just do some stealth Batman stuff with the occasional brawl and Batmobile chase but even though I'm sure that's not REALLY the case I feel like I'm spending half my playtime in tank mode shooting "drones".

hawk2025

I love it. It's like San Francisco Rush and Spy Hunter PS2 had a baby.

Alienous

This game feels really bloated. I want to just do some stealth Batman stuff with the occasional brawl and Batmobile chase but even though I'm sure that's not REALLY the case I feel like I'm spending half my playtime in tank mode shooting "drones".

That was very much my sentiment.

If feel like the the tank battles distracted from getting the core of the freeflow and predator right again, the former of which I think has too many things going on in Arkham Knight, and the latter of which doesn't appear often enough.

I actually like the Batmobile controls! Especially in first person.

Considering this game takes place in Gotham and Bludhaven, and theoretically takes place in the same country that hosts Metropolis, Coast City, Keystone City, and Star City, it's really weird to hear Batman say "Albuquerque, New Mexico". I was legit shocked lol. Maybe Jonathan Banks made them put that in.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It's ambiguous but I'm pretty sure that at the end
that's supposed to be a reformed Arkham Knight. Bruce seemed ready to pass the reins on the end, and if former Robin guy was reformed and wanted to take over Batman duties I could see Bruce letting him. It also makes more sense that he would have access to and feel comfortable using Scarecrow tactics.

As for the thugs saying they're no longer afraid, like I said you can fly right down and beat the shit out of them and their crew, I'm thinking they're going to go right back to being afraid after that. Even if a monster in a movie doesn't look intimidating to the audience it can still murder the characters. Even though everyone knows Batman is Bruce Wayne he is still just as able to fight crime as he ever was.

Anyway, I realize it's just a pulpy comic book story line and it's not intended to be scrutinized too closely, but it just felt one step too ridiculous to me.

Ending Spoilers.

Well, yeah I agree it's comic booky but I enjoy the theme. Yes, Bruce can still go down there and beat those thugs up but it's not the same as The Batman doing it. The thugs can be afraid of Bruce Wayne when he's kicking their butt but they aren't afraid of him as a symbol, they know he's just some rich kid behind the mask now and they know now that they can hurt him through his close ones and business. Fine, Bruce want's to beat us up and disrupt our criminal activities, well how about I kill every Wayne Inc. employee until he turns himself over to us? How about I blow up Wayne Tech? Etc.

Bruce can't continue as Batman or at the very least he cannot continue as Bruce Wayne now that his secret has been revealed. I just wish his story had a proper conclusion. I think one poster had it right in that the story is a bunch of "cop outs." Barbra is dead? Nah. Jim being mad at Batman? Nah. Robin and his other allies being mad at him for lying to them? Nah. Batmobile gone for good? Nah. I really wish the game would take the fact that it is a finale and commit to an actual finale. Why not kill off a few villains and allies? Why not have Batman actually start a relationship with one of the heroines? Why not actually show us what happened to him in the END?!

Yeah. Having more enemies and having unique enemies that require a very specific method to take down is a mix that makes the combat a lot less 'free-flowing'. A lot of the core purity it had in the previous games in the series is lost.

For me the added depth to the combat doesn't hinder the flow at all once you learn what's needed for the different types of enemies. It was a little overwhelming at the start, though. It had been a long while since I last played a batman game and I couldn't remember the controls. :p

Considering this game takes place in Gotham and Bludhaven, and theoretically takes place in the same country that hosts Metropolis, Coast City, Keystone City, and Star City, it's really weird to hear Batman say "Albuquerque, New Mexico". I was legit shocked lol. Maybe Jonathan Banks made them put that in.

As a huge fan of BB I'm appalled with myself that I didn't notice that. :O

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah. Having more enemies and having unique enemies that require a very specific method to take down is a mix that makes the combat a lot less 'free-flowing'. A lot of the core purity it had in the previous games in the series is lost.
Really have to disagree here. It felt far easier to remember and execute the moves to take down specific enemy types in this one compared to City.

AHA-Lambda

Regarding AK's identity

urgh, that shit is weak man! I thought Red Hood was already accounted for in the canon as he is in DLC, otherwise he's the immediate choice. Even then it was telegraphed a mile away.

At the beginning I expected it to be a grown Damian Wayne or something, that would've been better imo

Alienous

For me the added depth to the combat doesn't hinder the flow at all once you learn what's needed for the different types of enemies. It was a little overwhelming at the start, though. It had been a long while since I last played a batman game and I couldn't remember the controls. :p

For me it had an impact on how creative I could be taking the enemies down in any scenario. Trying to do things Batman like.

Instead I have to put a lot of attention into it, more so than in Arkham City. It's very "Ok, so I need to stun the brute then start a beatdown. Counter any attacks and be aware of guards charging at or throwing things at me. If they charge I need to evade or throw a batarang. If they thow something I need to counter, or I can throw a batarang before hand. I need to avoid the
electrified
thugs, or hit them with a blast from the
REC gun
. I need to also pay attention to what the medics are doing, and target them first".

Executing at a high level and achieving that seamlessness is something I find far more difficult, and the amount of unique enemies tends to limit my options in taking them down. It becomes very mechanical for me, rather than freeflow. Heck, the tank combat felt more freeflowing. The hand-to-hand combat is almost like a freeflow/predator hybrid at times.

Really have to disagree here. It felt far easier to remember and execute the moves to take down specific enemy types in this one compared to City.

It's not about the execution of certain moves.

Is there any way to not have all that 'press L2 + O for a electric charge attack!' prompt constantly appear in the middle of the screen while in combat?

It's the most immersion-breaking design decision I've seen in quite some time

Gonzalez

Banned

The DC United States map must be a deformed beast compared to the real life one, due to all the additional city's.

Ending Spoilers.

Well, yeah I agree it's comic booky but I enjoy the theme. Yes, Bruce can still go down there and beat those thugs up but it's not the same as The Batman doing it. The thugs can be afraid of Bruce Wayne when he's kicking their butt but they aren't afraid of him as a symbol, they know he's just some rich kid behind the mask now and they know now that they can hurt him through his close ones and business. Fine, Bruce want's to beat us up and disrupt our criminal activities, well how about I kill every Wayne Inc. employee until he turns himself over to us? How about I blow up Wayne Tech? Etc.

Bruce can't continue as Batman or at the very least he cannot continue as Bruce Wayne now that his secret has been revealed. I just wish his story had a proper conclusion. I think one poster had it right in that the story is a bunch of "cop outs." Barbra is dead? Nah. Jim being mad at Batman? Nah. Robin and his other allies being mad at him for lying to them? Nah. Batmobile gone for good? Nah. I really wish the game would take the fact that it is a finale and commit to an actual finale. Why not kill off a few villains and allies? Why not have Batman actually start a relationship with one of the heroines? Why not actually show us what happened to him in the END?!

Yeah, totally agree about the copouts. Especially the back-to-back reveal that Barbara is still alive AND there's a second Batmobile really made a lot of the plot feel pointless. Ivy actually died, but based on the other twists I'm sure she left behind some seeds that'll sprout a new version of her. The story would have been a lot more memorable if they would have stuck to their guns with some of that stuff.

Is there any way to not have all that 'press L2 + O for a electric charge attack!' prompt constantly appear in the middle of the screen while in combat.

It's the most immersion-breaking design decision I've seen in quite some time

I was trying to investigate the body in that early side quest and a stupid "Press L1 to get into the Batmobile" and "Press X X while gliding to glide more" prompts just wouldn't go away. I'd also like to know this, but I don't think there is a way :(

Anung

Un Rama
Apart from the crappy tank segments I love just cruising around in the Batmobile. The in game music is good but damn does this game suit the Batman Begins soundtrack.

I wish there was less tank rubbish and more scripted car sequences akin to Batman Begins or The Dark Knight. Almost a wasted opportunity.

It's ambiguous but I'm pretty sure that at the end
that's supposed to be a reformed Arkham Knight. Bruce seemed ready to pass the reins on the end, and if former Robin guy was reformed and wanted to take over Batman duties I could see Bruce letting him. It also makes more sense that he would have access to and feel comfortable using Scarecrow tactics.

As for the thugs saying they're no longer afraid, like I said you can fly right down and beat the shit out of them and their crew, I'm thinking they're going to go right back to being afraid after that. Even if a monster in a movie doesn't look intimidating to the audience it can still murder the characters. Even though everyone knows Batman is Bruce Wayne he is still just as able to fight crime as he ever was.

Anyway, I realize it's just a pulpy comic book story line and it's not intended to be scrutinized too closely, but it just felt one step too ridiculous to me.

Read
the Red Hood
's bio in the game.
I can't see that possibility since he still kills. While it's the logical next step after losing criminal's fear, it's just not Batman.
As for the ending,
I'm thinking it's just a Batman without the Bruce Wayne. He faked his death and now if just Batman full time. Maybe using fear toxin now since he "conquered" fear
. Just my two cents anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Apart from the crappy tank segments I love just cruising around in the Batmobile. The in game music is good but damn does this game suit the Batman Begins soundtrack.

So gooood I wish there was less tank rubbish and more scripted car sequences akin to Batman Begins or The Dark Knight. Almost a wasted opportunity.
The APC chases were a highlight for me. Wish there was more. The slow mo as a car gets launched into the air, driving under the sparks, so awesome.

Top Bottom