• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

void666

Banned
I want to buy this game but i don't have any hype about it. I wish i could be excited to play this game like i was for AA and AC.

Sweet. I actually just unlocked the 10 suits a couple hours ago. All the suits in the mobile game seem to be lower res versions of something that would be in the console/PC version. If anyone is wondering what the selection might be like. Fingers crossed on the new 52 batsuit being in the game cause that shit looks awesome in the mobile game!!.
I just starting playing that last night. Enjoying it strangely enough. Never was a fan of the wait-or-pay model though.
I've been playing it since it hit the App Store last week. I swear, I thought I was the only person playing it on GAF and thought it would be stupid to ask if folks were playing it here. BRRRRROTHERS!!!!

At first I hated it when I got to the second quadrant of Gotham and was getting trounced. Then I decided to farm for EXP and also actually buy an extra Batsuit or two, and I've been doing okay now. I definitely only plug in what time I can spend on the game, no money. Bums me out that the Batman Beyond suit is only attainable with the WayneTech points that are more difficult/impossible to farm.

I'm up to the last quadrant of Gotham now, and getting trounced even though I've maxed out my abilities. I guess I'll be farming again for points towards the Injustice suit. Why settle for anything less than the best? It'll be a long road to the 950k points that suit costs.

I wonder if they'll eventually push out an update that includes the last two Assassins. They're still just blank spaces in the intro video.

Also, what's with the alternate skins that you get from time to time when you fight the Assassins? Sometimes Copperhead has like a mohawk, and Bane's got scars instead of his distinctive mask, and Deathstroke has a lighter tone to his suit and his mask is off. Weirdness. Also, I found it freakin' hilarious that Deathstroke has an eyepatch and sounds a helluva lot like John Cygan who voiced Solidus Snake in MGS2.

As for the final product game, I guess I'll be nabbing it from Best Buy this weekend because they have the Steelbook case (even though it's a G1/DVD case size). I'm not too hype for the Joker and Bane online bonus stuff or the Black Mask bonus maps from GameStop.

Last assassin spoilers:
Hopefully an actual fight with him though instead of the runaway type thing in AA.

One can hope, but
with his size and how they've dealt with fights against both him and Bane in the past, I'm not expecting much.

That said, I guess it could be turned into a somewhat cool coming of age fight for Bats. Something he has to overcome to prove to himself and others that he's the real deal and not just some nobody in dress up who can be easily defeated or killed.

I really hope the storyline in this is better than Arkham City. Arkham City really fell apart near the end. This game's plot has a much simpler set up, so... Fingers crossed.

I really hope the storyline in this is better than Arkham City. Arkham City really fell apart near the end. This game's plot has a much simpler set up, so... Fingers crossed.

Yeah, City went to the dogs with the twist towards the end. That and their throwing one of the most interesting characters under the bus for no real reason...

What fight you guys looking forward to?

I want to see how the deathstroke fight goes down. I have a hard time imagining how bruce could stand toe to toe with him, iirc he wears nth metal armor and has enhanced strength/mental abilities/other bullshit, also fights to kill. The fight being centered around counters makes me think it will have some really cool animations, and one of the devs said it was their favorite fight.

Rnr1224

Considering buying this game for Wii u. The multiplayer didn't interest me at all so I'm OK with the omission. I suppose I will see how it compares to the other versions.

tav7623

I did too until I went to the WBID unlockables section of the main menu which showed that I had only completed the first of 4 costume tiers ( Tier 1 - Collect 2 Batsuits, Tier 2 - Collect 4 Batsuits, Tier 3 - Collect 7 Batsuits, and Tier 4 - Collect 10 Batsuits) despite having unlocked several purchasable Batsuits in the game.

Remmy2112

What fight you guys looking forward to?

I want to see how the deathstroke fight goes down. I have a hard time imagining how bruce could stand toe to toe with him, iirc he wears nth metal armor and has enhanced strength/mental abilities/other bullshit, also fights to kill. The fight being centered around counters makes me think it will have some really cool animations, and one of the devs said it was their favorite fight.

I believe the Nth metal armor is something that only appeared since the DC reboot a few years ago. Prior to that his armor was more akin to Captain America's, modern chain/scale mail over/under Kevlar. You are correct about the rest of his powerset, he possessed (slightly) enhanced strength, mental acuity, reflexes, and heals quickly (months-long recoveries turned into a small handful of weeks, not Wolverine level stuff). Comics Batman has gone toe to toe with him a few times and has won, but it is usually a close fight, and this is a Batman just starting out after his training while Deathstroke in the game is post-military service and is now a mercenary.

I believe the Nth metal armor is something that only appeared since the DC reboot a few years ago. Prior to that his armor was more akin to Captain America's, modern chain/scale mail over/under Kevlar. You are correct about the rest of his powerset, he possessed (slightly) enhanced strength, mental acuity, reflexes, and heals quickly (months-long recoveries turned into a small handful of weeks, not Wolverine level stuff). Comics Batman has gone toe to toe with him a few times and has won, but it is usually a close fight, and this is a Batman just starting out after his training while Deathstroke in the game is post-military service and is now a mercenary.

yeah I haven't followed comics suntil new 52, I felt that there is just way too much backstory to catch up on in comics and the reboot is a good place to start from.

new 52 ds might be stronger, he was fighting lobo, but to be fair he'd be dead if it wasn't for his armor. I'm guessing Arkhamverse is based mainly on pre52 stuff and some new stuff. DS probably still enhanced to some degree.

There's ONE problem with Arkham City on the WiiU though:

What the fuck were they thinking?

Aah, that's why this Batman looks fat compared to the older (newer?) versions. Although he looked fine in the CG trailer. Oh, well, just a small nitpick. Good thing the villain designs look great.

Remmy2112

yeah I haven't followed comics suntil new 52, I felt that there is just way too much backstory to catch up on in comics and the reboot is a good place to start from.

new 52 ds might be stronger, he was fighting lobo, but to be fair he'd be dead if it wasn't for his armor. I'm guessing Arkhamverse is based mainly on pre52 stuff and some new stuff. DS probably still enhanced to some degree.

Arkhamverse seems primarily based on the Batman animated series from the 90's, and followup shows, mixed with some of the darker themes from the comics and even some characters. Mr. Freeze's origin is implied to be the same as the BAS, involving Gothcorp and CEO Ferris Boyle, whereas his comic counterpart had a much different origin. Paul Dini was also one of the story writers for Asylum and City, I believe, and of course Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil lent their voices to the games.

Nori Chan

Am I the only who is looking forward to the multiplayer? I love this series but this mp looks fun and new. Like what assassins creed did.

Am I the only who is looking forward to the multiplayer? I love this series but this mp looks fun and new. Like what assassins creed did.

This whole time I thought it was a group of guys versus whoever's Batman and Robin. Didn't know that there's also the gangsters being split between the Joker and Bane factions. Well duh, that would explain all the DLC bonuses I've seen lately. I wonder how the victory conditions will be decided. I suppose you play for your team and try to beat down Batman as well.

Jtrizzy

Got a code on ebay for $27.
af09b72096757f92e71cd016bf0ec0cb.gif

Remmy2112

This whole time I thought it was a group of guys versus whoever's Batman and Robin. Didn't know that there's also the gangsters being split between the Joker and Bane factions. Well duh, that would explain all the DLC bonuses I've seen lately. I wonder how the victory conditions will be decided. I suppose you play for your team and try to beat down Batman as well.

Bane and Joker goons compete to have more fun than each other by capturing fun points, of which there are three. One player on each side can sometimes increase their fun by bitching out on their buddies and running back to camp, switching to Bane or Joker. While these two sides are competing boring old Fattyman and the Boy Blunder are trying to make sure both sides don't have any fun all. If they do so they win.

There's ONE problem with Arkham City on the WiiU though:

What the fuck were they thinking?

what happened to selina's cleavage :(

And currently blasting through AC. Without messing with side stuff too much and kinda forgot most of the game, reached wonder tower in 11 hours, so i can't imagine this game's estimate length to be much different from ac.

Danny-Boy

Watched a bit of walkthrough. It looks and plays exactly like the others. Chris Redfield as Batman doesn't sound right. The female voice actor with the accent is terrible. Hype decreasing but it's the Batman. I'll grab it day one.

Ephemeris

I tried to highlight the spoiler but still couldn't read it in the time it took to change my mind.

Thanks NeoGAF Dark theme!

I just "beat" the iOS game, I say "beat" because I guess there's no definitive end to speak of in these free-to-play games. There was a relatively amusing text box from Alfred, then I was back on the map looking at the bunch of missions that I've got left to redo.

I'm just gonna farm for the rest of the buyable suits (Buying the Injustice one first to get that out of the way) then clean up on what "achievements" are left between this game and the console version. It was fairly entertaining, but I can't help but be a little bummed out by the very obvious mechanisms that try to drive the player to drop money in to surmount whatever challenge that they run into. I guess that's just what some games are becoming now.

I just "beat" the iOS game, I say "beat" because I guess there's no definitive end to speak of in these free-to-play games. There was a relatively amusing text box from Alfred, then I was back on the map looking at the bunch of missions that I've got left to redo.

I'm just gonna farm for the rest of the buyable suits (Buying the Injustice one first to get that out of the way) then clean up on what "achievements" are left between this game and the console version. It was fairly entertaining, but I can't help but be a little bummed out by the very obvious mechanisms that try to drive the player to drop money in to surmount whatever challenge that they run into. I guess that's just what some games are becoming now.
What's the biggest reward of the game anyway? Unlocking the Red Son skin for AO? Because if it's all there is to it, I don't see myself grinding the iOS game for a dozen hours TBH. Particularly when it's essentially a reskinned Injustice.

What's the biggest reward of the game anyway? Unlocking the Red Son skin for AO? Because if it's all there is to it, I don't see myself grinding the iOS game for a dozen hours TBH. Particularly when it's essentially a reskinned Injustice.

Looks like the Red Son skin is indeed the biggest thing to get through the iOS game. There's a couple things called Cobblepot Packages or whatnot, I have no idea what those entail in the final game. In the end, it's probably not worth it to sink your time into this thing, particularly when the way to unlock the Red Son skin is to buy 10 suits in the iOS game, which is definitely a big time investment.

Jb

I tried the game over the weekend but didn't get very far. Do you eventually unlock more moves than just guard/punch/special attack? I guess the combat could be fun if you end up using gadgets the same way than in AC/AA, because I got tired of just tapping dudes for 60sc to move on to the next fight.

I tried the game over the weekend but didn't get very far. Do you eventually unlock more moves than just guard/punch/special attack? I guess the combat could be fun if you end up using gadgets the same way than in AC/AA, because I got tired of just tapping dudes for 60sc to move on to the next fight.

Among the special attacks that you unlock, you get a Batarang that stuns the non-boss enemies from doing the stronger attacks, and that gadget that summons bats to distract the enemy. I do like finding ways to chain attacks across goons to knock em out in quick succession.

Bane and Joker goons compete to have more fun than each other by capturing fun points, of which there are three. One player on each side can sometimes increase their fun by bitching out on their buddies and running back to camp, switching to Bane or Joker. While these two sides are competing boring old Fattyman and the Boy Blunder are trying to make sure both sides don't have any fun all. If they do so they win.

Thats why i loved them both so much

Kiant

My only worry is it might not be the longest game if you don't bother with the extra content, guy on YT breezes through 3 assassin's in less than 2 hours >.>

Also the 8 assassin's are:
Killer Croc, Copperhead, Deathstroke, Bane, Firefly, Deadshot, Shiva and Electrocutioner

My only worry is it might not be the longest game if you don't bother with the extra content, guy on YT breezes through 3 assassin's in less than 2 hours >.>

Also the 8 assassin's are:
Killer Croc, Copperhead, Deathstroke, Bane, Firefly, Deadshot, Shiva and Electrocutioner

There are already youtube walkthroughs?
I can't find them :/

edit: Found it :)

Wow, I like the beginning of the game.

Stratostar

Highly anticipating the reviews for this game. I'm sure I'll love it regardless, but seeing good scores will put my hype through the roof.

This is out here in Dubai - i just went to get a copy of Beyond Two Souls and saw this next to it - is it me or has there been ZERO hype about this game? i didnt even know it was coming out.

If anyone here is in UAE then Game Street have this on both 360 and Ps3 for sale now.

zainetor

Banned
framerate sucks and there's tearing everywhere.
anyone with a decent enough pc, should play the game on it, even if that means playing it at 720p.

bogg

Got an ebay code but it's not working, and the seller refuses to help me and accuse me of scamming him :/
I still want to buy the game, I miss some batman action in my life.

Top Bottom