• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

SJRB

Gold Member
I am a couple of hours in, can anyone explain to me why Gotham seems to be only populated with violent gangs and cops? I don't get it.

Snowstorm + Assassins and gangs out = curfew in effect. It gets announced on the speakers every once in a while.

[In truth it's just a technical thing though]

deim0s

I am a couple of hours in, can anyone explain to me why Gotham seems to be only populated with violent gangs and cops? I don't get it.

Gothamites is a tight knit and organized community. The gangs you thought are the homeowners wearing costumes to the biggest X'mas party ever! Bruce is actually acting like a dick - swooping down from rooftops and beating them all up.

I finally cleared up on the Nightwing Challenge Maps and Campaigns in Arkham City yesterday for my last 2 achievements. YAY ME! Now I can focus of Origins again.

I'm still stuck on my Datapack hunt in the hotel, so I made my way all the way back out again and went back to the Batcave for some sweet Alfred advice and a bit of Origins Challenge. Got all the medals in Combat Practice, so next up will be some combat and predator challenges.

Maybe I'll go for a bit of a glide. Somehow I've still not stopped a crime in progress in every district for my last Protector challenge.

@people playing on PC with a 360 controller, do you find that you keep standing up when you're trying to crouch? Feels like the deadzone for the right bumper is far too big, so if you don't hold the trigger down with real force it doesn't register

I had a few weird issues of the game randomly going into the pause menu without me gettinge even close to the button. Other than that it's fine.

brogan

Neo Member
Hit the Mad Hatter bug where I can't get across the river :( Pretty much stopped my progress now until it's patched. Kinda disappointing.

Hit the Mad Hatter bug where I can't get across the river :( Pretty much stopped my progress now until it's patched. Kinda disappointing.

This one is a pain but you should be able to get round it. If you just restart checkpoint and try blowing up the wall, it's to do with that. When the wall explodes, the plate is supposed to land the right way in the water. If it doesn't, no amount of throwing yourself in the river will fix it, but a proper restart checkpoint should work, took me two tries when I released just killing myself wasn't actually resetting the plate.

I've played way too much of the MP in this game. It's not even that good but I have to admit I found some fun in it. Almost to the max levels, thinking about prestige for the costume..
Almost got Red Son from the mobile game too but WBID seems to be very slow to update my stats.

Jesus ha, did a quick boost through 1 to 100 then dumped it to my HDD with shadowplay. Thought I'd take a gander at how long it would take to upload on youtube.....6 HOURS. MY provider folks haha. That was for 7 minutes.

Someone please report if this patch fixes the framerate issues... Other post patch impressions are welcome as well

So many angry people in the support forum. This is one broken-ass game across all platforms.

I will tell you what the patch DOESN'T fix: reanimating enemies in combat rooms or enemies getting stuck in walls in predator rooms. I also have a glitch in my new game plus where the drug canisters will not spawn nor do I get the escaped prisoner side quest which was not fixed with the patch. Fortunately I don't think those last two things lock me out of anything other than getting 100% completion and probably an extra costume.

I would give it a shot. As someone who got a reset on weapon unlocks and alternative outfits unlocks TWICE I shouldn't say this, but honestly they nailed the meta-game on some many levels:
- when you are a thug you really don't look up :D you are completely in the zone and focused on the enemy faction. Then all of a sudden something comes out of the floor or right down from the sky and you're done.
- as heroes, you have all the time to study enemies behaviour and patterns, since they have no option or resource to pressure you. It's a unique feeling to successfully tail, isolate and takedown an enemy.
- character customization is incredible. I can't get enough of the opening sequences when you look at your teammates and your carefully designed thug.
- unless the host knows what he's doing, it's fairly balanced: even clans who come up as a group get switched around. The key to winning is cooperation and, surprise surprise, the ones who do this faster and more efficiently are usually hero players.
- melee takedowns are memorable and the animations are well worth the risk you'll take to perform them.

Thanks for the impressions, I will see if I am still down for some multiplayer when Christmas comes around. I went through the videos and character customization and I saw some interesting things. Tried one game but I was stuck in the lobby for 5 minutes and said "screw it."

Thanks for the impressions, I will see if I am still down for some multiplayer when Christmas comes around. I went through the videos and character customization and I saw some interesting things. Tried one game but I was stuck in the lobby for 5 minutes and said "screw it."
Sadly, long wait times are the norm in MP, at least on PC. Half the time i spent in MP was waiting for lobbies to populate and waiting for players to synch while loading (people crash all the time or give up during loading).

Had a bug yesterday, the part in the hotel (jokers little amusement park)
You have to stand on the pressure pad to make generate electricity, RC batarang through one eye, fusebox through the other eye. The electricity wouldn't generate and the game had synced my save game already halting any further progress.

Luckily on my other PC my local save was a bit earlier, so I unplugged network cable and started PC offline. Got past that part and resynced, if I didn't have the other PC I would have been S.O.L.

witness

I ended up deleting the 1.02 patch off my PS3 as recommended by others in this thread (and redownload Deathstroke and Knightfall DLC), and it absolutely runs smoother while flying around the city. I didn't have any issues with 1.02 other than that, aside from one freeze on a challenge map, through my 5ish hours playing so far.

Edit: I guess 1.03 is out now for PS3? Well I'll see how this goes I guess.

eshwaaz

Beat the story last night. I wasn't pleased with
having to fight Bane three damn times throughout the game
, but overall a very good game. In a lot of ways, reviews were really unfairly harsh on Origins.

However - I've had five hard crashes, numerous quest-ruining bugs and one save file corruption, which have obviously soured the whole experience. It's a real shame, as the game they've created is great on many levels, but the lack of QA here really hurts.

RPGCrazied

Patch didn't seem to do anything so far on PS3 and I have encountered 2 freezes were I had to restart my system. And sometimes when I fast travel, I lose audio until I get control back of batman.

Just had a freeze when it was saving too, gosh I'll be so mad if my save is corrupted.

Sitting here trying to get through 1 to 100 without getting hit. Best I've got so far though is 2 hits. Combo chain is split into 4 big chains, I can accept that I'll probably never get through with one long combo chain as it's kind of easy to lose it in this game without being hit, but I know I can do this without being hit. Inner peace.

Beat the story last night. I wasn't pleased with
having to fight Bane three damn times throughout the game
, but overall a very good game. In a lot of ways, reviews were really unfairly harsh on Origins.

However - I've had five hard crashes, numerous quest-ruining bugs and one save file corruption, which have obviously soured the whole experience. It's a real shame, as the game they've created is great on many levels, but the lack of QA here really hurts.

Same here, the problems I had with the game were just bugs. Maybe one or two back-tracking segments made me grind my teeth and one instance where the metrics of the games weren't respected but other than that, they perfected the recipe.

See, these games are benchmarks on how to design action/adventure games. Not saying it's the only recipe, but it's super solid. This game exists to keep the franchise alive in the eyes of consumers and to test WB Montreal's production pipeline and talent and for me they nailed it. Some reviewers were way too fuckin' harsh.

Art-wise, the cinematics, the story, again, for me, leaps above what Rocksteady had done previously. Design-wise, they're just adding new mechanics and twists on old ones like having certain enemies countering your attacks which adds a lot of excitement to the fights.

So, again, some reviewers were just waiting to destroy the game upon its arrival which is a shame because it's a very solid game from a new studio. It should be acknowledged.

witness

Patch didn't seem to do anything so far on PS3 and I have encountered 2 freezes were I had to restart my system. And sometimes when I fast travel, I lose audio until I get control back of batman.

Just had a freeze when it was saving too, gosh I'll be so mad if my save is corrupted.

Yeah I played for about an hour or so after the patch and I have that same issue now when fast traveling. That never happened before. I'm going to keep the patch though until I find out what it did exactly. I love this game so far in spite of the technical issues, I enjoy it more than the first two games so far. No regrets buying it.

Just played through the
Joker Fun House
and completed the
Bane Fight
. I just don't get the hate for this game, I still like it way more than City.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
And sometimes when I fast travel, I lose audio until I get control back of batman.

Actually I had this for most of my fast travel playing on PS3. Either this or non-synced audio of his grapple up to the Batwing. I didn't mention it becaase it was just fast-travel cutscenes.

I'm bummed that the patches dropped the frame rate because I didn't have any of the glitches every one has been reporting here.

So, again, some reviewers were just waiting to destroy the game upon its arrival which is a shame because it's a very solid game from a new studio. It should be acknowledged.

I can agree with this, but since sentiment from reviewers has nwo been replaced with complaints from consumers, this is starting to seem more like an Obsidian alternate team than a Treyarch alternate team. At least for this effort. More KOTOR2 or Fallout: New Vegas than World at War or Black Ops.

But, as someone mentioned, this is surely due to rushed QA to meet the publisher's ship date. And I can agree this needed to come out before next-gen came out.

Though, again, my PS3 play-through had very few problems, so my personal perspective has been mostly praise. I loved this game, you guys.

merrick97

Banned
I have the 360 version and for me the BIGGEST complaints that knock the game from a 9 to a 6.5 are the bugs and the unnecessary combat tweaks and on top of that all a glitchy psycho camera.

The combat in the challenge rooms is much similar to the combat in AC, while the combat in the actual campaign is far more aggressive.

The thing that is unforgivably bad is the camera. It moves around wayy too much zooms in too close and often results makes it impossible to see enemies that need to be countered.

The amount of freezes I have had on the 360 version is also unacceptable.

Once they patch these issues I will happily give the game a 9/10.

Little gif I made. I frickin love when he does this. Bale did it a lot in the Dark Knight Trilogy, especially in the second.
batmanhqcg6.gif

Gah, when Rocksteady invetiably reveal their next Batman game, and it'll be the in the AA/AO artstyle, I'm gonna be so damn disappointed. The art for AO was so damn good!

Just got the corrupt save bug on 360. I got it fairly late in the game I think -
during the Bird sidequest, I made it up to the part where you need to go to the Alibi Club
. I got to the location and went inside, walked around a bit, then had to quit the game to do some stuff. Came back later, "Corrupt Save. Please Delete!" I hope I didn't do it to myself. Maybe I powered down while it was still "Saving..." I'm usually pretty good about that though. Do you think a patch would even be able to fix this? Or do I have to start over?

Just beat it. Really liked it overall though I get the general criticism towards it especially if you don't like revisiting the world again.
The dissection of Joker's madness was pretty cool and the interaction with Harley that accompanied it was great. Their relationship was always one of my favorites.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just got the corrupt save bug on 360. I got it fairly late in the game I think -
during the Bird sidequest, I made it up to the part where you need to go to the Alibi Club
. I got to the location and went inside, walked around a bit, then had to quit the game to do some stuff. Came back later, "Corrupt Save. Please Delete!" I hope I didn't do it to myself. Maybe I powered down while it was still "Saving..." I'm usually pretty good about that though. Do you think a patch would even be able to fix this? Or do I have to start over?

Do we have any informations, when we will get a patch?
Played a lot today, I am afraid to loose my data :|

Guzim

It looks like The Riddler won since I got caught beneath one of the packs, and I had to restart. Apologies for the image quality.

zGw5X3e.jpg

BeberMan

Neo Member
I just beat it.
Easily better than City IMO, much more memorable and interesting, and the combat is easily the best of the three.

Next game should definitely shake things up, new series, new mechanics and perhaps a new cartoon-y tone.

Timu

Been playing it for two days (around 15%++) and it shows... was wondering why QA didn't catch a lot of stuff (getting caught in geometry, gliding/hooks, clipping, choppy framerate on cutscenes and before/after it) - it's janky compared to AA or AC.

Seriously, they could've done better or limit the gadgets, it's basically more AC.
It's either rushed or the devs needed more experience in this area.

Balboa

Does anyone have a workaround yet for the bug where you can't raise the water level in the sewers to blow up the wall? I'm playing on PS3 and this has just about killed all enjoyment I was getting out of the game.

Does anyone have a workaround yet for the bug where you can't raise the water level in the sewers to blow up the wall? I'm playing on PS3 and this has just about killed all enjoyment I was getting out of the game.

Best I could find on this:

I thought I was stuck as well, so went searching for answers. It doesn't appear that the water has done anything after the door closes but I think it does.

I tried to throw the glue grenade too close to the ledge I was standing on and nothing happened, so threw it closer to the breakable wall and it formed and I was able to leap over to it, grapple closer to the wall using the hook above and then used the gel to break the wall.

From gamefaqs. This was someone who had done the electricity, hit the switch, gate had closed, but water had rose. I never encountered this bug though and I'm a bit out of the loop so I'm not sure if this solution will work at all. Did you manage to hit the electricity box with the electrified batarang? I do remember it binng a bit picky about where in the water I could form the glue raft, and the water only raises to take you to about shoulder height of the breakable wall.

Balboa

Best I could find on this:

From gamefaqs. This was someone who had done the electricity, hit the switch, gate had closed, but water had rose. I never encountered this bug though and I'm a bit out of the loop so I'm not sure if this solution will work at all. Did you manage to hit the electricity box with the electrified batarang? I do remember it binng a bit picky about where in the water I could form the glue raft, and the water only raises to take you to about shoulder height of the breakable wall.
Nice one, thanks! It was my fault in the end I was just doing it wrong :( went looking for answers and everyone was talking game breaking bug so it had me worried

Nice one, thanks! It was my fault in the end I was just doing it wrong :( went looking for answers and everyone was talking game breaking bug so it had me worried

Watching some videos of that area now to remind myself, and I do think it's a little odd. I think it might be slightly bugged, just that you can still get it to kind work. Does seem like the water maybe should be a bit higher. Anyway, as long as you got it working man :)

Finished this earlier today and overall it was very enjoyable. Story was all over the place but nowhere near as bad as Arkham City. The bugs were the worst thing about it though. So many fucking bugs :(

Just wondering though, I thought I did all the sub quests with the villains, with all of them on my menu except Riddler showing as 'completed', but there's one still blank that I clearly haven't started and don't know what it could be.

Is there some post game one of these quests I don't know about?

Also:
That weird locked blue door down on the ice covered riverbed at the edge of the map (Forget which side). What's that for?

Finished this earlier today and overall it was very enjoyable. Story was all over the place but nowhere near as bad as Arkham City. The bugs were the worst thing about it though. So many fucking bugs :(

Just wondering though, I thought I did all the sub quests with the villains, with all of them on my menu except Riddler showing as 'completed', but there's one still blank that I clearly haven't started and don't know what it could be.

Is there some post game one of these quests I don't know about?

Also:
That weird locked blue door down on the ice covered riverbed at the edge of the map (Forget which side). What's that for?

There is a sidequest that only activates as a post end of story thing. Just keep solving crime scenes and stopping crimes and it should come :) Unless you already got that call and did it, in which case, have you did
Shiva?
That one can be done any time close to the beginning of the game but has to be activated through your own discovery of a thing in the city.

For a game that's getting mediocre and below mediocre reviews I'm enjoying this game more than any other Batman game.

I hate to play the cheerleading role, but there must've been something going on. How do you take a game based on a solid foundation, tweak it a bit, not too much, to perfect the recipe and get those medium reviews?

Either someone didn't get a check or they got their games later then expected, but something's off.

There is a sidequest that only activates as a post end of story thing. Just keep solving crime scenes and stopping crimes and it should come :) Unless you already got that call and did it, in which case, have you did
Shiva?
That one can be done any time close to the beginning of the game but has to be activated through your own discovery of a thing in the city.
Speaking of this case, it never unlocked for me and I'm pretty much 100% everywhere else. Hell, I even did all the enigma datapacks.

I've done dozens of crimes in progress.
My best guess is that it's because of that glitch where I still have a penguin weapons marker on the map despite deactivating that container hours ago. I guess it prevents that last most wanted mission from starting.

I'll try on NG+ but damn is this game full of bugs. It's pretty shameless to ship a game in that state.

Top Bottom