• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Blader

I hate to play the cheerleading role, but there must've been something going on. How do you take a game based on a solid foundation, tweak it a bit, not too much, to perfect the recipe and get those medium reviews?

Either someone didn't get a check or they got their games later then expected, but something's off.

Diminishing returns.

Derrick01

Banned
Diminishing returns.

When AC4 and BF4 are still getting 8s and 9s, I don't buy that as the reason.

The real reason is they thought they could get away with being too harsh on this game. A game with very little pre-release hype and a 2nd studio working on it. Also see the God and Gears of wars that came out this year. Whether they deserved it or not isn't the point, the point is when the media feels like they can get away with it they'll use the whole scale.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

The real reason is they thought they could get away with being too harsh on this game. A game with very little pre-release hype and a 2nd studio working on it. Also see the God and Gears of wars that came out this year. Whether they deserved it or not isn't the point, the point is when the media feels like they can get away with it they'll use the whole scale.

I would agree with this. Bugs aside I think its better than AA in a lot of ways, particularly the story. Even considering the bugs its hardly at the level of Skyrim or Fallout

Tabby

Exactly.
It's not like the game is worse than AC, it hardly deserves the low scores that this game has gotten.
Hell, at least it's more playable than BF4; bugs and glitches is not an excuse.

Yeah, reviews are full of shit. For example, Eurogamer's Tom Bramwell:
I wouldn't call it a trend of dumbing down, but Arkham Origins also owes less to the Metroid and Castlevania schools of backtracking for secrets than its predecessors. There are a few things you will need to mark on your map and return for, but gone are the days of eyeing up question marks on the map and getting excited about going back later. This contributes to a sense that the game is less layered than Asylum or City, despite the charms it does have.
Having 100%ed AC and AO back to back, this is factually wrong. A number of paths and datapacks require the glue grenade for example.

Yep, it's funny how our "journalists" take it out on some games. WB Montreal did a damn fine job and I blame the bugs on WB for not giving them enough time.

Momentary

Banned
This game has made me say screw big name reviewers. This game is solid and it improves on what the previous 2 games did.

I don't see how games like COD, AC, and BF can get away with repeating the same thing and get praise and then reviewers come off so negative towards this game.

Everything has improved for me. Even the story, for me, is better. I think people are just wanting to be negative towards this because it doesn't have the same voice actors and it doesn't have Rocksteady's name plastered to it.

Man when I get out of the Marines Corps and retire... I think I'll start a no bullshit reviewing site... It might have a 4th graders reading level, but at least it won't be full of Doritos.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Said it before but slap Rocksteady on the box and the scores would have been much higher.

I beat the game yesterday. The story and presentation are superior to City. I also prefer the level design of Origins. City's open world felt like a mess sometimes.

I played the 360 version and didn't encounter any major glitches.

The Arkham series is one of my favorite new IPs this gen and I look forward to the inevitable sequel.

Asylum is still my favorite.

Speaking of this case, it never unlocked for me and I'm pretty much 100% everywhere else. Hell, I even did all the enigma datapacks.

I've done dozens of crimes in progress.
My best guess is that it's because of that glitch where I still have a penguin weapons marker on the map despite deactivating that container hours ago. I guess it prevents that last most wanted mission from starting.

I'll try on NG+ but damn is this game full of bugs. It's pretty shameless to ship a game in that state.

That sucks. I have no idea how to get around that. When I had got it though, I had already done enough random crimes to get the stop 20 cheevo, and I'd got the "stop 9 random crimes in the 9 districts" ranking challenge. Bar replicating that to see if you get the call, I'm not sure what you can do. I was under the impression it just took completing all the casefiles, and doing 6 random crimes I think. It could be the penguin marker thing, but I had an enigma datapack icon stuck on my map, and that didn't impend the game recognising my progress, and I actually thought the most wanted stuff was separate to unlocking that side mission. If you hit up the extra menu at launch then check your stats, does the game actually recognise that you've collected all the penguin things? And we definitely are discussing the
blackgate prisoners right?

Were you guys really finishing the game in 6 hours? It took me 19 hours. Of couse, I wasn't in a hurry and I love beating the crap out of the bad guys and cops.

My save file is at 29 hours haha, and I'm pretty sure Steam didn't count the night I was playing on VPN, maybe add another 6-8 on there. I probably spent about 22 hours on the game until I finished the story though, another few mopping up random side stuff after and then just playing the combat challenges. For the people who absolutely tanned through the game, I wonder if that made the story more exciting, just going straight form point to point, or made the game seem less. A lot of my experience involved doing a story point, doing one or two side things, doing some of the ambient challenges, then heading on. It meant that a *chapter* of the game for me took a nice 3-4 hours,and I felt like I was doing a lot of varied things in Gotham.

Unai

Were you guys really finishing the game in 6 hours? It took me 19 hours. Of couse, I wasn't in a hurry and I love beating the crap out of the bad guys and cops.

JustinBB7

I think the 6 hours is just main story only, no crimes in progress, no enigma, no crimescene investigation etc etc. Just story only I guess it would be pretty short.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Played a couple of hours today and I really start to like this game. It isnt as good as Arkham City, but beside this, its really ok. The snowy Gotham has again a great atmosphere and the freeflow combat really feels strong improved. I also love how they focused the detective work, I really hope, Rocksteady will do similar good work in this aspect in the AC Sequel. In Origins its really better than anytime before.

I am also happy that I didnt run into any bugs yet.

The biggest problem so far is the story and the lack of easter eggs. AC was filled with great details for every Batman fan, now there is absolutly nothing.
The story was very boring so far, but as I ended playing today, there was a nice twist and it seems, that now the things are going to be interesting.

Apeopleman

Question regarding Nightfall DLC on PS3:

I'm aware of the challenge maps, but how do I access the campaign portion of the DLC?

Is it in the menus, or do I have to find an event in Gothams map in game? If so, where? Thank you in advance.

Lima

I think the 6 hours is just main story only, no crimes in progress, no enigma, no crimescene investigation etc etc. Just story only I guess it would be pretty short.

Arkham City has the same length if you only do the story stuff. Asylum is pretty short too. It is just that you spent most of the time in these games getting 100% in them.

Question regarding Nightfall DLC on PS3:

I'm aware of the challenge maps, but how do I access the campaign portion of the DLC?

Is it in the menus, or do I have to find an event in Gothams map in game? If so, where? Thank you in advance.

?

It is just two skins, three challenge and two predator maps. No additional story or anything.

REV 09

I definitely feel like the game was under-reviewed. I got sidetracked by BF4, but I've really enjoyed AO...probably half way through.

That sucks. I have no idea how to get around that. When I had got it though, I had already done enough random crimes to get the stop 20 cheevo, and I'd got the "stop 9 random crimes in the 9 districts" ranking challenge. Bar replicating that to see if you get the call, I'm not sure what you can do. I was under the impression it just took completing all the casefiles, and doing 6 random crimes I think. It could be the penguin marker thing, but I had an enigma datapack icon stuck on my map, and that didn't impend the game recognising my progress, and I actually thought the most wanted stuff was separate to unlocking that side mission. If you hit up the extra menu at launch then check your stats, does the game actually recognise that you've collected all the penguin things? And we definitely are discussing the
blackgate prisoners right?
Yeah, that's the one. I got the 20 crimes trophy as well as the 9 districts thing, that was before I started going through all the enigma stuff which made me scour the map and stop a ton of crimes in progress. I also 100%ed the case files before that so I'm fairly certain I meet the requirements to unlock it.

Given that the penguin marker is the only glitch I can notice, I assume both are linked. The marker is for the one in a crate on the boat. Another adverse effect this marker had was that the relays for that zone wouldn't show up on the map so I had to hunt them down by visualizing them (not a huge deal).

I didn't know about the extras menu, I'll check that. I mostly hope it will unlock on my NG+ playthrough.

Speaking of the enigma datapads, I liked the reward for hunting them down. It's a very small yet nice touch,
the first riddler trophy

I can't get the past the fucking Deadshot mission. That shit is worse then the Two Face one from AC.
I actually managed to squeeze the 4 exotic takedowns there. The guys themselves aren't too hard. Once you've taken care of them, beatdown the shit out of Deadshot until he goes down and grabs an hostage. More guys appear at that point, just avoid them, sneak on Deadshot (there's an angle he never checks) and take him down.

I can't get the past the fucking Deadshot mission. That shit is worse then the Two Face one from AC.

I just implemented the exact same strategy I used against two face haha. Just completely ignore the other guys, and focus on either silent takedowns on him, or swooping down from about and glide kicking him. I literally depleted his whole bar like that, the only tough bit was waiting to get him at the perfect moment when he had the hostage. But I never took down any of his other guards.

I didn't know about the extras menu, I'll check that. I mostly hope it will unlock on my NG+ playthrough.

Speaking of the enigma datapads, I liked the reward for hunting them down. It's a very small yet nice touch,
the first riddler trophy

Yea, that sucks man, let us know if that works out for you. I mentioned the extras thing just in case the game has screwed you and not turned off the weapons cache somehow. If it's not counted off in there, maybe you could go back there and try again? I imagine you've did this til you tore your hair out haha. It's the one in the hanging container right?

Haha, I've saw a few people come in and curse the Enigma reward but I also loved it, very apt. Less than the whole scenario you get in AC, but kind of more rewarding in a way.

I didn't want to play City before, but now I do. I also want to finish Asylum.

Hell yea you do. You might find the combat in AA lacklustre now, but it's great. AC, imo doesn't have as good a story as AO but it still has a great story in general (again imo), and there's some things I think are clearly better. The combat is more fairly balanced, and the riddler content is much more fun and compelling, and thus making AC a more interesting city to explore and nose around.

Man, I've had a ton of fun with this game. I suck at the challenges, but I beat the main story last night. I gave up on the Enigma sidequest because of bugs. I am considering finishing the crime scenes. The setting is probably my favorite in any Batman game. I love the Christmas decorations and the set pieces in the city. The cutscenes are great, and the music is PERFECT.

Some of my favorite parts included
Bane telling Joker what to do, Batman and Joker falling and Joker saving Batman, Joker's metamorphosis into his Batman obsession, Harley, Bane finding out Bruce's identity and having to use the gloves on Alfred's heart, The Hatter quest, Firefly's entire segment, Deathstroke's intro and battle, fighting side by side with Gordon at the end, infiltrating the GCPD, and Joker destroying the construction site set to that awesome music.

Things I hated were
Bane getting neutered at the end, the final Bane battle in the hallways, Black Mask being a second tier villain in the story, Killer Croc's design, repetitive gameplay elements, and the constant bugs.

I didn't want to play City before, but now I do. I also want to finish Asylum.

On Deadshot, I took down all the guys first with patience, then I just wrecked him with constant beatdowns until the final guys showed up. Then I went back to the gargoyle that I came in on, and snuck up behind him when his back was to me.

Derrick01

Banned
I would agree with this. Bugs aside I think its better than AA in a lot of ways, particularly the story. Even considering the bugs its hardly at the level of Skyrim or Fallout

I don't think it's quite up to the level of AC overall but it's pretty close. It does some things AC doesn't and it has a really interesting story but AC was a true evolution. Being able to glide around the city and ambushing enemies for the first time was my Spiderman 2 moment of the generation.

Steam says 25 hours for me but at least 2-3 is alt+tabbing and another couple hours spent on challenge rooms. But it's still a pretty long game if you're going for 100%, keep in mind I still don't have the game finished and I still have some Riddler stuff to do and another locked side quest. Lack of content is definitely not a problem in this game.

Dave_6 said:

I enjoyed that more than most side quests but in the end I don't think they took it far enough. It was a slightly tougher predator room, nothing more. See the thing that made the Freeze fight in AC so interesting was that he would adapt to your tactics which forced you, the player, to change your tactics. You couldn't just be lazy and hang around gargoyles waiting for an opening the entire time.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't think it's quite up to the level of AC overall but it's pretty close. It does some things AC doesn't and it has a really interesting story but AC was a true evolution. Being able to glide around the city and ambushing enemies for the first time was my Spiderman 2 moment of the generation.

I agree completely, I dont think its better than AC overall as that game was a revelation for me (and I didnt think it was possible to better AA). AO does some things better imo, such as its story, side missions, better indoor environments and the CSI bits. WB Montreal should be given credit for making some advancements to the formula, this is being treated as a cash grab which it certainly is not. If this ends up with a lower metacritic than that travesty AC: Revelations I will lose all faith in the system

RPGCrazied

Game seems to run smoother with no patches installed. No lock up yet either. Sucks though, cause I can't connect to PSN without having 1.03. I was having trouble with that patch.

Yeah, the bridge is fucked. My data corrupted again right after the
steel mill
when I approached the bridge and my game froze. This time I had my data backed up before that area but its still bullshit. I think it has something to do with how the game autosaves when you approach the bridge,

Anyone else experiencing the game running like total shit after the 1.3 patch (playing the PS3 version).

It would chug occasionally before the patch but now its almost unplayable while trying to get around the open world.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So am I fucked out of getting the Riddler trophy achievement due to this? I beat the game and am now going back through to do all the side content and I have a few Riddler things left. It says I missed 3 of them under the bridge so I go back there to collect them. Well, I get to the area where the train car had people trapped in it and the bomb on it from Firefly and it's telling me that the trophy is still there, when it isn't. I collected it back when I first did the mission. What was weird is that when I walked towards the back door of the train car, the trophy showed up very briefly then disappeared. I went into the car and get no notification that I can pick anything up. Ugh, this game. Beyond the constant hard locks (I've had 12 now) and this, I'm amazed it got past QA. I've never had a game lock up on me this much in my 30 years of playing games.

EDIT - So apparently I'm just a moron. There was another trophy below the train in the grates which was what was showing up on my map. Though the disappearing one confused the hell out of me which is why I thought it was glitched.

geomon

Starting to have this happen more and more as I finish up challenges.

if4Zd8Nsrreyy.gif

That and snipers that never lose track of you once you've been spotted, even after you glide away from them behind buildings.

Nori Chan

Yeah, the bridge is fucked. My data corrupted again right after the
steel mill
when I approached the bridge and my game froze. This time I had my data backed up before that area but its still bullshit. I think it has something to do with how the game autosaves when you approach the bridge,
Lol that's hilarious.

Veelk

Banned
Starting to have this happen more and more as I finish up challenges.

if4Zd8Nsrreyy.gif

That and snipers that never lose track of you once you've been spotted, even after you glide away from them behind buildings.

I like to imagine them having a conversation.

"Hey bats, whats up."
"Oh, you know, the usual, have to stop yet another psycho. Speaking of which, aren't you suppose to be shooting me?"
"We're on our break, and, well, my kid just had a birthday. Cute little guy burst into tears at new toy truck."
"Aw, that's nice."
"Yeah. Has me in a real feel good mood. Go on through, man, and good luck :)."
"Thanks. I'll try not to break as many of your friends bones this time,"
"Appreciate it."

EDIT - So apparently I'm just a moron. There was another trophy below the train in the grates which was what was showing up on my map. Though the disappearing one confused the hell out of me which is why I thought it was glitched.

Obviously not a personal dig at you man ,but just as a talking point, that is something the game is really struggling with the last few days. A good few times a day someone posts "fuck this game, it's glitched me out of ________!" and it's literally just one of the puzzles. I mean, they deserve it for the game being out this long with so many genuine bugs, but you can see by those kind of comments, people have already made their mind up about the game in a way that WB Montreal are never going to turn around, regardless of whether they patch it perfectly in the next week or not.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Obviously not a personal dig at you man ,but just as a talking point, that is something the game is really struggling with the last few days. A good few times a day someone posts "fuck this game, it's glitched me out of ________!" and it's literally just one of the puzzles. I mean, they deserve it for the game being out this long with so many genuine bugs, but you can see by those kind of comments, people have already made their mind up about the game in a way that WB Montreal are never going to turn around, regardless of whether they patch it perfectly in the next week or not.

I suppose it's probably good they didn't do a repeat of the AA "game reset sanity effect," then, eh?

I kind of agree, but at the same time I got stuck on a bit near the end for like 20 minutes. There is a part where you basically have to glide down from a height to the other side of some room so you can hit a switch to proceed. The problem was that the first two times I tried to glide across to it, I must have been at the wrong angle slightly, and Batman just fell into the water.

So I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find places to use my gadgets, throwing remote control batarangs to hit the switch, exploring the entire area with a batarang, and eventually I looked it up online. The guide said "glide across to it", and I was like "da fuck, I already tried that shit!" But then I tried one more time and sure enough it worked.

I think some parts of the game are just fidgety, as part of the general lack of polish.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I think some parts of the game are just fidgety, as part of the general lack of polish.

Fuck if that doesn't remind me of that part in AA when there was a sniper up on that ledge of the impenetrable building, surrounded by pointy "no grapnel here" things, and I pretty much did the same thing forever until the answer was "just glide to the closest corner." So, to be fair, some of the fidget is part of the Arkham gameplay.

But bugs and lack of polish have people jumping at shadows, and that's AO's (and WB Montreal's) cross to bear until they are cleared up.

There are also some Arkham gameplay facets that are not re-explained here, that are affecting perceptions, too. Someone earlier was complaining how the venom guys seem to have a magically guided charge you have to evade twice. But I was watching a let's play of AA today that reminded me I should have bataranged those guys in the face while they were charging. I don't think they ever mention the trick in AO. I was like, "oh yeah!"

But bugs and lack of polish have people jumping at shadows, and that's AO's (and WB Montreal's) cross to bear until they are cleared up.

I completely agree with both, I think each are spot on. It'll definitely be interesting to see how this will be looked back upon. Someone mentioned Obsidian, and obviously a lot of people accept the issues that come with their games, to get access to the experiences. Coupled with being the end of the gen, a lot of people probably won't play it and general public opinion later on might mostly be made up of word of mouth, and the uh interesting review scores.

Pretty much. I played for about 4 hours last night and the game froze 5 times for seemingly no reason (360 version). Each time I was simply traversing the open world, nothing fancy. I've been backing up my saves regularly but flying around the city really puts me on edge. No telling when it will freeze. And I've been corrupted twice now at the bridge. I'm at a point in the story where I have to go to the bridge again and it's making me pretty nervous lol. I think this is the only game I've played that's ever corrupted a save file during gameplay (and I've been playing since 1992). No other game on 360 freezes like this for me so I doubt it's a bad console or something.

But I was watching a let's play of AA today that reminded me I should have bataranged those guys in the face while they were charging. I don't think they ever mention the trick in AO. I was like, "oh yeah!"

I gave up on trying that after I tried Bataranging Killer Croc right at the beginning of the game whilst he charged me and it had no effect. Same with Enforcers (was that their names? The huge dudes, first encountered in
The Final Offer
).

I found one of the reasons for me sucking at combat recently last night. I got fed up with not being able to progress in my Datapack Hunt due to the electricity in the Hotel, so started NG+, and I've found that if I'm in the middle of a beatdown and the camera shifts, even a little bit, Batman re-centers himself and as such just simply stops, even mid-beatdown. It also happens with some other moves where as soon as the camera moves Batman loses his target, so either punches empty space or just simply stops dead as if you've let go of all controls.

In City, if you were doing a beatdown, you'd be locked. If a thug swings at you and you counter, you'll end up continuing you're beatdown straight after. In Origins, you have to actively aim Batman back at the guy you was beating down.

Hope this helps anyone having trouble like I have. Admittedly, I'm still suffering, but certainly not as much as I was during my first playthrough. If you know what to look out for, you have a chance of compensating.

Newblade

Fuck if that doesn't remind me of that part in AA when there was a sniper up on that ledge of the impenetrable building, surrounded by pointy "no grapnel here" things, and I pretty much did the same thing forever until the answer was "just glide to the closest corner." So, to be fair, some of the fidget is part of the Arkham gameplay.

You were supposed to use the line launcher from atop a watchtower.

I actually enjoyed the final
"fight" against Bane
the first time I played through. There was genuine tension in that I didn't know what he could do to me. For all I knew, he could've just picked me up and
broke my back in one hit.
But going back to it a second time, I was pretty iffy about it. You start noticing all these ridiculous things like his hilarious roaring animation and funny "ARGH THESE GRATES!" lines. Really takes a lot of the tension away.

The fight would've been much better if
I couldn't use the disrupter on the jammer. Imagine not knowing where he was, turning a corner and hearing a roar from somewhere behind you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEZGQpbWJ0I

Some guys realize they're better off pretending they didn't see him. It's not a glitch, it's a reference

You were supposed to use the line launcher from atop a watchtower.

I remember playing this part in the common room in college. I knocked the guy down with a remote batarang, but took a long time aiming the zipline. I ziplined across as the guy was standing up, dropped from it and landed on top of him before punching his head into the floor. A guy watching me play said that was th emost badass thing he'd seen; I was so glad there was someone else watching the badassedry

EDIT: Ah you know, I'll just not haha. I said my bit earlier about it, it won't do any good to start picking out individual things, everyone's got a right to their opinion. Monkey, you good people so if you saw that, never mind, I'm not gonig to go down that route haha.

Top Bottom