• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Not to be clever man, but I just booted up both games to have a little look at this, and I can't get on board with either of these. I can swing the camera 360 degrees with the right stick as I do a beatdown and he'll just continue on doing his beatdown, it's not as if he'll attempt the beatdown in the directions I'm swinging the camera, away from the dude I was hitting. Conversely, in AC if I start a beatdown, and counter another thug who swings at me during it, Bats does not go back into the beatdown on the original guy without my input. If I start hitting punch again after the counter, sure he'll do it, but he does the same in AO. I can't see where they've altered anything with that. I don't doubt you're having frustrations with the combat in comparison to AC, and there are absolutely some factual objective changes WB Montreal have made that might attribute, might not, but these two things at least, I just don't see it. As I mentioned above, the game absolutely does have its issues, and that is WB Montreal's fault, but some of this stuff people are comnig in with, I just don't see it.

Maybe I was just getting frustrated and looking for things to blame it on, maybe I was just having one of those days, but last night I absolutely had trouble ever time the camera shifted. Maybe it made a difference if it was manual or automatic, but every time I was in combat and the camera changed without my input it would fuck everything up for me.

Beatdowns in City weren't fully auto, but if I was beating someone down and countered all I would need to do is go back to mashing X and it would continue on the same guy I started beating on. In Origins it would only do this if I was pushing the stick back towards the beatee and even then only if there was no-one else close enough (as invariably, Bats would launch himself towards anyone other than the guy I was beating on if they were close enough).

Either that or I truly am worse at this than I thought I was, lol.
EDIT: Ah you know, I'll just not haha. I said my bit earlier about it, it won't do any good to start picking out individual things, everyone's got a right to their opinion. Monkey, you good people so if you saw that, never mind, I'm not gonig to go down that route haha.

DAMN YOU!!!

:p

Sidenote, I finally managed to get past Worst Nightmare 6 (or was it 7? - 4 exotic takedowns) in the bank, and the next one (beat a predator encounter using only your fists) in the Steel Mill. On my way back to the Gotham Royal now. What are the chances of maxing out the rest of the track before the end of the game? Not done any other sidequests yet barring a couple of towers, but I'm having a brainfart on which Predator encounters are left (I can think of 3 for definite).

Maybe I was just getting frustrated and looking for things to blame it on, but last night I absolutely had trouble ever time the camera shifted. Maybe it made a difference if it was manual or automatic, but every time I was in combat and the camera changed without my input it would fuck everything up for me.

Beatdowns in City weren't fully auto, but if I was beating someone down and countered all I would need to do is go back to mashing X and it would continue on the same guy I started beating on. In Origins it would only do this if I was pushing the stick back towards the beatee and even then only if there was no-one else close enough (as invariably, Bats would launch himself towards anyone other than the guy I was beating on if they were close enough).

Either that or I truly am worse at this than I thought I was, lol.

Ah, forget it man, I don't think I was really being constructive enough to say what I said back anyway so I edited it out haha. I personally didn't have any issues with that, mostly it was just random enemy aggressiveness that I'm not sure I could definitely have dodged if I wanted to, but I do appreciate what your saying.

There is a sidequest that only activates as a post end of story thing. Just keep solving crime scenes and stopping crimes and it should come :) Unless you already got that call and did it, in which case, have you did
Shiva?
That one can be done any time close to the beginning of the game but has to be activated through your own discovery of a thing in the city.

Sorry about the late reply, forgot I asked about this...

Yeah, I did
Shiva
and that sub quest is showing as completed for me. Been all over the city in the post game mopping up data packs and nothing else seems to be triggering besides random crimes. I wanted to avoid FAQs until the last possible moment for this game, but I suppose I may as well just look it up. Thanks for the response anyways bro.

I was actually hoping that the last side bit was going to be something to do with
Etrigan
, as I thought I'd read somewhere ages ago they were in this game, but given the tone of the rest of the story I'm not sure that'd really fit in :/

Still have not finished it, but think the story is fantastic. Part of me was concerned when i read how some people whinged about certain villains being used ad-nausea. But the story is really really good, i dig the cut scenes they are fantastic.

The only sour note is the bugs, i ran into another audio glitch earlier where i was still hearing a helicopter despite the cut scene finishing (the chopper does fly away). I died during the ensuing fight, so when i reloaded the checkpoint i confirmed that the audio did glitch before - the chopper flying noise disappeared when it should have (unlike the first time).

DAMN YOU!!!

:p

Sidenote, I finally managed to get past Worst Nightmare 6 (or was it 7? - 4 exotic takedowns) in the bank, and the next one (beat a predator encounter using only your fists) in the Steel Mill. On my way back to the Gotham Royal now. What are the chances of maxing out the rest of the track before the end of the game? Not done any other sidequests yet barring a couple of towers, but I'm having a brainfart on which Predator encounters are left (I can think of 3 for definite).

Hahaha, we good! Mmm. you've got a shot, you can achieve more than one in one encounter as long as you definitely get the first one, as well as the second, and so on. It's a real pain though. I don't really want to do it without the conuter signals, but NG+ is my only option now.

Sorry about the late reply, forgot I asked about this...

Yeah, I did
Shiva
and that sub quest is showing as completed for me. Been all over the city in the post game mopping up data packs and nothing else seems to be triggering besides random crimes. I wanted to avoid FAQs until the last possible moment for this game, but I suppose I may as well just look it up. Thanks for the response anyways bro.

I was actually hoping that the last side bit was going to be something to do with
Etrigan
, as I thought I'd read somewhere ages ago they were in this game, but given the tone of the rest of the story I'm not sure that'd really fit in :/

Haha, don't worry about it! How many random crimes have you did? I believe you want to have did all the casefiles, and completed at least 6 random crimes, although I'm not sure exactly where that came from, it's just what comes up if you search online. We have had someone come in with it legit bugged and not being getting the call you need to get to activate the quest, although he had a bug with one of the most wanted,
penguin weapon crates, one hadn't been recognised as complete on his map
. It's not
Etrigan
either, sorry haha! I can only say I had got the stop 20 random crimes cheevo and did the 9 district random crime stops challenge before I finished the story, so that was my status when I got the call. Finishing
Penguin's most wanted
does kind of make sense in context though. Is it just datapacks you have left to do, in addition to this missing sidequest? The extras menu at launch has a status completion page.

Saty

The way the Dark Knight System works is really stupid. Why do they 'lock' me to one task? I did stuff that are are higher up on the ladder but it won't count them because i have first to do that one thing they limit me to do before the game will recognize the advanced stuff i'm doing.

Hahaha, we good! Mmm. you've got a shot, you can achieve more than one in one encounter as long as you definitely get the first one, as well as the second, and so on. It's a real pain though. I don't really want to do it without the conuter signals, but NG+ is my only option now.

It's not fun in NG+, but I also have no choice. I was hoping to have them all done in my first playthrough, but didn't realise you had to do them in order till it was too late, and from playing yesterday, the first place with everything required for the 4 exotic takedowns is the Bank. From where I am now, here's the predator encounters I have left (from memory)

Hotel Lobby
Hotel Swimming Pool
Inside the Bridge (train station)
Inside the Bridge (train station redux)
Return to the Bank (Deadshot)

Can't remember if there's any others.

Apparently the rooftops by the Monarch Theatre counts, for some reason (read that on the official forums).

I did go for the "no takedowns" outside the Steel Mill, but realised too late that when it says "Use gadgets to your advantage" it really means, just the disruptor on weapons. All the enemies in the encounter have to be taken out by punches or beatdowns ONLY.

Took me ages too, but I got rid of the two snipers by grappling them over the ledges, and thus my efforts were voided :(

Haha, don't worry about it! How many random crimes have you did? I believe you want to have did all the casefiles, and completed at least 6 random crimes, although I'm not sure exactly where that came from, it's just what comes up if you search online. We have had someone come in with it legit bugged and not being getting the call you need to get to activate the quest, although he had a bug with one of the most wanted,
penguin weapon crates, one hadn't been recognised as complete on his map
. It's not
Etrigan
either, sorry haha! I can only say I had got the stop 20 random crimes cheevo and did the 9 district random crime stops challenge before I finished the story, so that was my status when I got the call. Finishing
Penguin's most wanted
does kind of make sense in context though. Is it just datapacks you have left to do, in addition to this missing sidequest? The extras menu at launch has a status completion page.

Actually, I don't think I have done the '20 random crimes' thing yet.

I might give that a shot tonight and see.

Cheers :)

After finishing this, I'm surprised there are people who think this is a better game than Arkham City. Yes I know opinions, blah blah, but surely no-one can deny that map traversal, the upgrade system and the general level of polish are inferior to AC?
I see some people prefer the changes to the combat system, but I found it made fighting annoying to the point that I was avoiding random crims on the way to missions whereas in AC I would beat up everyone I saw. And who thought filling every rooftop with gunmen and snipers was a good idea?
That leads to another issue, Gotham seems even more full of goons than it did when it was a maximum security prison. AC just about got away with the city-as-prison conceit, but here they didn't even try to justify it.
Story-wise, what's so great about it? It's largely a series of unconnected events:
Black Mask hires assassins.
Suprise! It's the Joker really, who blows up some buildings.
Bane attacks the Batcave.
Joker starts a riot in a prison, and Bane takes a drug that conveniently makes him forget who Batman is.
As for the people complaining that it's unfair that AO is being marked down when Assassins Creed or COD aren't, the thing is that Origins is basically the same gameplay as City and set in virtually the same environment. Assassins Creed and COD at least have different settings for each installment.

Having said that, it's still a decent game because it's built on such strong foundations, but I'm not sure I'm interested in another Batman game unless they really mix stuff up.

LordAlu

It's not fun in NG+, but I also have no choice. I was hoping to have them all done in my first playthrough, but didn't realise you had to do them in order till it was too late, and from playing yesterday, the first place with everything required for the 4 exotic takedowns is the Bank. From where I am now, here's the predator encounters I have left (from memory)

Hotel Lobby
Hotel Swimming Pool
Inside the Bridge (train station)
Inside the Bridge (train station redux)
Return to the Bank (Deadshot)

Can't remember if there's any others.

Apparently the rooftops by the Monarch Theatre counts, for some reason (read that on the official forums).

I did go for the "no takedowns" outside the Steel Mill, but realised too late that when it says "Use gadgets to your advantage" it really means, just the disruptor on weapons. All the enemies in the encounter have to be taken out by punches or beatdowns ONLY.

Took me ages too, but I got rid of the two snipers by grappling them over the ledges, and thus my efforts were voided :(
I think you can get them all in the
Church (Black Mask)
too?

I think you can get them all in the
Church (Black Mask)
too?

Cool... I knew I must be missing a couple!

Can anyone else confirm that m ore than one can be got at a time? The Steel Mill room (before
Copperhead
) was where I did the beatdowns only challenge, but because I knew there was a disruptor that I couldn't get to until after I completed the room I didn't use Detective Vision at all, which should have knocked out the next requirement... but only the beatdowns one unlocked.

The big problem I had was that for an early(ish) requirement, Gel Takedown was a bastard as approximately sod all predator rooms had destructible walls suitable for said takedown. It only works on heavy walls (destructible walls without a fist symbol on them). The weaker (fisty) walls simply knock thugs down.

From memory, there wasn't too many places suitable for an inverted ledge takedown either.

If only they let us do them in any order! (or post game, or in challenge maps).

Anyone getting crashes now with 1.03? PS3 here.

No crashes for me but the game will start to run like its going to crash.....tons of stuttering and a completely shit framerate constantly. They seriously need to fix this shit because its practically a broken product at this point.

Rnr1224

Is this game patched up and beatable on PC yet?

at least from what i have been experiencing, yes it is. only trouble i had during the original storyline was the Burnley tower glitch that isnt a problem anymore. i cant speak to any problems with the boss battles after the latest patch however.

As someone who has only played Arkham Asylum, should I jump into Arkham City and then Origins or the other way around?

Yes. Do Arkham City and then Origins. Careful though, you could get burnt out playing them back to back. They do share pretty much the same mechanics.

Sidenote. Multiplayer is kind of broken on PC. First off, not a lot of people playing. Secondly the load times can be soo long when starting a match that when it begins, most of the players already dropped out. (Pretty much every time I'm Batman this happens. lol.) There is a game mode select button, but only one game mode.....Again. Splash Damage, if you are listening. PLEASE make some sort of Batman and Robin coop mode. Hell, even if it just made the elite players bots that would be fine. Most of the problems arise from players dropping in and out of matches either because the load times suck, or because they didn't get selected as Batman or Robin.

As someone who has only played Arkham Asylum, should I jump into Arkham City and then Origins or the other way around?

I would say play City first then Origins, only for the reason that Origins is fugged up right now. Hopefully by the time you beat City it will be fixed.

GeoGonzo

Depends! The two stories are self contained and mostly unrelated. Origins is a less polished game but it mostly builts over the foundations set by AC: so the latter may feel a bit bare after playing through the more recent Arkham Origins.

My advice is to play them in the order they were released.

Exile550

Man, what a shitty PC port compared to AC and AA. They removed so much functionality from previous games.

-ability to map mouse thumb buttons.
-assigned keys for quick gadgets use
-adjust mouse sensibility
-FOV adjustment

They really need to patch these issues. These are the little details that make a game suck for me.

geomon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEZGQpbWJ0I

Some guys realize they're better off pretending they didn't see him. It's not a glitch, it's a reference

Iol, I wish that were the case (wasn't my GIF) but I'm in the middle of a Crime in Progress and I thought I had beaten everyone down but no Crime Stopped message popped up. I found this thug just chilling by the victim, walking back and forth, even walked through me a couple of times. Wish I had recorded it.

Is this game patched up and beatable on PC yet?

Oh, without any patches the game is perfectly beatable on PC. I think a lot of the crash/freeze/corrupt stuff has been on console. I guessed that anyway, because outside of the burnley coms tower (and that can be cheated pretty easy) and one or two glides through the floor, my game was completely fine on PC. So if you c an do it without the patches, you'll be fine.

Oh, without any patches the game is perfectly beatable on PC. I think a lot of the crash/freeze/corrupt stuff has been on console. I guessed that anyway, because outside of the burnley coms tower (and that can be cheated pretty easy) and one or two glides through the floor, my game was completely fine on PC. So if you c an do it without the patches, you'll be fine.

I had one or two glitches, but generally, the PC build is solid. Most of these were fixable by reloading anyway.

Just played as Deathstroke for the first time this weekend. I was a bit wary to get into using him because I thought he was a blatant knockoff of Robin; boy was I wrong. A lot of his attack animations are similar, but to the trained Arkham vigilante, you know attack animations don't mean squat; it's all about the gadgets, and they're different enough to separate himself from Robin. His special attacks are just like Batman's in the combat maps, though. But anyway, he's cool to play as.

Gbraga

I noticed you can't carry your upgrades to new game +, can you at least carry them from the new game + to the hardcore mode?

I haven't noticed a new patch yet so I assume I'm still stuck near the end.

I could have sworn I saw another one recently. Oh well, I think I'm just going to play it, exit the game when it comes to that part, backup my saves, and hope it goes off without a hitch.

I noticed you can't carry your upgrades to new game +, can you at least carry them from the new game + to the hardcore mode?

That's so stupid... I mean, that's what "new game +" is. Did someone not tell them what the term means?

Gbraga

I could have sworn I saw another one recently. Oh well, I think I'm just going to play it, exit the game when it comes to that part, backup my saves, and hope it goes off without a hitch.

That's so stupid... I mean, that's what "new game +" is. Did someone not tell them what the term means?

Haha, at least it lets you fight enemies in a different order, it seems interesting, but it really is stupid not to let you carry your upgrades, specially with the boring ass upgrade system they implemented in this game.

Other than that I'm really liking this game so far though, I'm progressing very slowly since I'm wasting way too much time beating people on the streets and doing side stuff, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

The Deathstroke fight was eeeeeeeeeeeeh, I think I'll probably fight him again, this can't be the fight everyone was fond of.

JB1981

Got the game on PC. Doesn't look as good as Arkham City to me and seems to lack some of the world-building "charm" of that game. This games seems more violent and more hard-edged to me.

Rnr1224

Can anyone give me some tips for new game plus? I'm about to face deathstroke but every fight I get into before, I usually end up dying at least once. The lack of counter prompts and the harder enemy configurations r killing me!

Momentary

Banned
I just finished the game and I thought it was spot on. Loved the combat and the boss encounters. Also, the larger variety of enemies made the fights a lot more interesting. I might try to 100% this game.

You do carry all your upgrades over to NG+. The only difference is that the Remote Claw, Concussion Grenade, Disruptor, Glue Grenade and Electro Gloves are all locked until you acquire them in the story. Kinda makes sense when you think about it.

Once you get them in the story all upgrades you've acquired are applied instantly.

Can anyone give me some tips for new game plus? I'm about to face deathstroke but every fight I get into before, I usually end up dying at least once. The lack of counter prompts and the harder enemy configurations r killing me!

For combat, keep hopping. It's the only thing that gets me through. Also, only go for a beatdown on armoured/big mofo's if you thin the crowd first. Also also, use your gadgets! Every so often throw out some batarangs, and if you're far enough away from the herd a quickfire batclaw goes down a treat. Instant takedowns work wonders, and as soon as you get in a critical hit state try and knock as many thugs down as possibly and go for a multi-ground takedown. This will save your arse so many times! You should only end up having trouble when fighting in tight spaces.

Overall, just don't panic, and you'll be fine.

Vitor711

at least from what i have been experiencing, yes it is. only trouble i had during the original storyline was the Burnley tower glitch that isnt a problem anymore. i cant speak to any problems with the boss battles after the latest patch however.

Same. That was the only glitch I encountered outside of non-reactive enemies.

Gbraga

You do carry all your upgrades over to NG+. The only difference is that the Remote Claw, Concussion Grenade, Disruptor, Glue Grenade and Electro Gloves are all locked until you acquire them in the story. Kinda makes sense when you think about it.

Once you get them in the story all upgrades you've acquired are applied instantly.

Huh, good to know! I guess I'll start a New Game Plus as soon as I finish it then. But will probably just rush the main story.

Pay attention to when the game slows down during his attacks. That is the queue to counter. Also the quick fire bat grapple is good to use when fighting him head on if you aren't sure about attacking him straight up.

Sober

For combat, keep hopping. It's the only thing that gets me through. Also, only go for a beatdown on armoured/big mofo's if you thin the crowd first. Also also, use your gadgets! Every so often throw out some batarangs, and if you're far enough away from the herd a quickfire batclaw goes down a treat. Instant takedowns work wonders, and as soon as you get in a critical hit state try and knock as many thugs down as possibly and go for a multi-ground takedown. This will save your arse so many times! You should only end up having trouble when fighting in tight spaces.

Overall, just don't panic, and you'll be fine.
Batswarm, batswarm and batswarm.

They gave you an AOE stun for a reason. Hell, you can batswarm and then do an aerial attack in a crowd on a regular dude before it wears off as long as you catch enough people in it.

IronRinn

The most recent patch cleared up the bug I encountered in the
Mad Hatter's
level on PC. I also didn't run into any issues during the
Blackgate/Bane
fight. Game seemed short, though I still have some stuff to complete. Didn't finish up the Riddler stuff and still have to take out
Deadbolt
. I also realized I never ran into
Lady Shiva

The most recent patch cleared up the bug I encountered in the
Mad Hatter's
level on PC. I also didn't run into any issues during the
Blackgate/Bane
fight. Game seemed short, though I still have some stuff to complete. Didn't finish up the Riddler stuff and still have to take out
Deadbolt
. I also realized I never ran into
Lady Shiva

When you walk outside of the Bank of Gotham in the narrows where you first met Joker, you hear a crying baby in a stroller follow that to start Lady Shiva.

Batswarm, batswarm and batswarm.

They gave you an AOE stun for a reason. Hell, you can batswarm and then do an aerial attack in a crowd on a regular dude before it wears off as long as you catch enough people in it.

Oh yea, you've got it. Especially once you've got those shock gloves and critical hits, but in general, you wanna go straight for the group stun and multi takedown combos in the skill tree. Group stun, knock a bunch of guys over, multi-takedown, repeat ftw.

Just fired up my 360 copy (much to my girlfriends protesting) and got an update!!!

Wonder what's been fixed?

*EDIT*

Well, my problem with the electric chairs being back on in the Hotel is gone. Just got my last 3 Datapacks. I'll keep an eye out for anything else.

witness

Well this is interesting. The WBID server is down and now my game, PS3 version patched to 1.03, is running smooth as hell. No stuttering/frame issues while flying around the city and the fast travel audio glitch is gone. I had these issues yesterday with the patch and now its perfect.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Well this is interesting. The WBID server is down and now my game, PS3 version patched to 1.03, is running smooth as hell. No stuttering/frame issues while flying around the city and the fast travel audio glitch is gone. I had these issues yesterday with the patch and now its perfect.

image.php

I see the stuttering has decreased down to batmanbatmanbatman.com from the batmanbatmanbatmanbatmanbatmanbatmanbatman.com things had gotten up to!

Top Bottom