• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Wasp

When you walk outside of the Bank of Gotham in the narrows where you first met Joker, you hear a crying baby in a stroller follow that to start Lady Shiva.
Dammit. I kept hearing the sound of a
baby crying
when I was in that area but I thought it was ambient background noise, although it was pretty weird. It was actually annoying the hell of of me, I gave up on trying to solve an Enigma puzzle because of it.

Anyway I'm thoroughly enjoying this game, much better than I expected considering the reviews. It's not quite as good as AA or AC but it's close enough. I've not come across any serious bugs or glitches either on PS3 version.

The AR glide drills in this game seem way easier than what they had in Arkham City, which was some really crazy maneuvering required.
I appreciate that they are since all that crazy maneuvering is never practical or required in any way for the rest of the game.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The AR glide drills in this game seem way easier than what they had in Arkham City, which was some really crazy maneuvering required.

So many hours of my life spent on those...

This is good to know. I'll go back to these in AO, as I was reluctant to explore them to far.

Worst Nightmare Challenges do NOT stack :(

I just spent ages doing a no Detective Vision and 4 Loud Takedowns in one go, and only got credited for No Detective Vision.

What a gyp!!!

I'm not really digging how you have to do the various challenges in order. Right now I'm stuck looking for a place to do a Grapnel Boost Takedown, whereas I've actually already done a bunch of the challenges above that one but just can't be credited for them yet.

I think I actually hate WB for thinking multiplayer was a good idea. A week in and the only game I can remember with a more fucking desolate lobby is Overlord 2. To then have the temerity to tie a load of ass achievements to said multiplayer was the fetid icing on an already putrid cake. There goes any hope of a trio of platinums. Dicks.

Faux rage aside, I actually had quite a bit of fun in some of the games. It's kinda a shame nobody is even trying it. And that you need to wait 30 mins in the lobby for a match.

Sober

I'm not really digging how you have to do the various challenges in order. Right now I'm stuck looking for a place to do a Grapnel Boost Takedown, whereas I've actually already done a bunch of the challenges above that one but just can't be credited for them yet.
Easiest spot, or where I did it was the sniper on the Final Offer up on the catwalk.

Unai

I'm having a hard time finding a place to do the 4 exotic take downs.

After the patch the enemies are respawing after the ending game. It wasn't like this before, was it?

I'm having a hard time finding a place to do the 4 exotic take downs.

After the patch the enemies are respawing after the ending game. It wasn't like this before, was it?

They've always respawned everywhere except inside buildings... where all the predator rooms are.

Thanks! I'll look out for that guy tonight (though I don't think I have snipers out in the city yet, having just beaten
Deathstroke
).

He was there before you went into The Final offer for the first time. Up on a mast opposite the entrance area. He won't be there when you come out, but once you've completed Anarky's challenge he should respawn often.

Matchew

Man what is up with this game and not letting you to grip onto some building with your batclaw? I don't remember this problem while exploring AC, but in AO there seems to be a lot of buildings that you can't grip onto and it's driving me nuts.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man what is up with this game and not letting you to grip onto some building with your batclaw? I don't remember this problem while exploring AC, but in AO there seems to be a lot of buildings that you can't grip onto and it's driving me nuts.

Yeah, that's an issue many are having. It's total bullshit and makes navigating the city much more difficult than it should be [especially in the later parts of the game when
there are snipers fucking everywhere
].

A severe lack of gargoyles on tall buildings for no reason whatsoever as well.

It seems Worst Nightmare challenges CAN stack... in a fashion. As long as you complete a challenge and get the message on screen that you have completed it, and then go on to complete the next challenge before the predator room is cleared, then it's all good.

Just got 4 noisy takedowns, followed by high danger without being seen both at the
Swimming Pool
in the hotel before the
Bane
boss fight.

deim0s

I did one of the glide challenges, the others doesn't show on the map like in AC.

Do I have to seek out the markers? Just found it by accident.

RPGCrazied

That deadshot fight is freaking annoying, 3 times now I get to the part where he is on the hostage, but he always kills it before I can takedown him. Fucker. :p

RPGCrazied

Well this is interesting. The WBID server is down and now my game, PS3 version patched to 1.03, is running smooth as hell. No stuttering/frame issues while flying around the city and the fast travel audio glitch is gone. I had these issues yesterday with the patch and now its perfect.

really? When I tried the patch, the game froze on me twice. I also lose audio when the clip plays to fast travel. The framerate felt worse too. Maybe I should download it again. Playing with no patches at the moment. Seems fine, but can't connect to the PSN.

Gartooth

I finished the game and played a bit of the Deathstroke maps for the first time. Decided to try out multiplayer later but couldn't find a match for 30 minutes and just decided to quit and never try it again, seriously what the hell. I have no idea if it is just bad matchmaking or if the multi is so bad that nobody is playing it 2 weeks in, but I don't feel like sticking around to find out.

As far as glitches go, in single player I had a nasty one where
your crawling along the side of a burning bridge, and then you have to use your grapple gun to pull yourself over a ledge and back onto the main part of the bridge to fight some thugs.
What happened is somehow the enemy AI noticed Batman before he got over the ledge, so then Batman kind of lost his grip on the ledge and was unable to climb over. He then was floating in midair in his fighter stance, and essentially I had to run way off the "invisible floor" to let myself fall to my death. Batman then gets up, and I try to repeat the sequence but the enemy AI still knew I was there so Batman wasn't able to grapple and pull himself over the ledge to start the encounter. I ended up having to take my disc out and reboot the game in order to successfully overcome that matter so that the enemies wouldn't detect me.

Im going back for all the Enigma data packs....
is there anyway to get the one inside the hatters shop after you've done the mission?
or am I screwed?

EDIT: NVM just figured it out

Naite

Looks like I ended up with the Deadshot glitch. I did a beatdown on Deadshot and tried to quickfire a batclaw at the nearest vent before reinforcements arrives. Instead, the batclaw grabbed onto him and did a batclaw slam that knocked him out from a near full healthbar.

I love that Batman grits his teeth. It's a small touch, but pretty human. Unfortunately, still not done. Been busy with other stuff. I've just reached the part where I've
defused the third Firefly bomb on the bridge

Man... there were some, uh... twists there in the narrative. The
hotel
finale and aftermath was bananas.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just started playing this game last name and the game would stutter during cutscenes. should i have not installed the game on my 360 hd?

Jtrizzy

they did a much better job optimizing this time around. On a 580 I'm playing everything on ultra with no AA at 1080p and getting satisfactory frame rates (50-60). Every once in a while I'll get a bad dip into the 30's but not enough to turn anything down. Game also does well with adaptive v-sync.

The physX maxed looks really cool in some places and no so much in others. But it doesn't kill the frame rate like it did in Asylum.

It seems Worst Nightmare challenges CAN stack... in a fashion. As long as you complete a challenge and get the message on screen that you have completed it, and then go on to complete the next challenge before the predator room is cleared, then it's all good.

Just got 4 noisy takedowns, followed by high danger without being seen both at the
Swimming Pool
in the hotel before the
Bane
boss fight.
Yeah, as long as the challenges don't need the predator encounter to be over to be taken into account, you can stack them.

The messy part is that you can't know that beforehand.

The other variable that makes little sense is what encounters qualify for the challenge: some can be done on the map, some can be done only in predator rooms and some can be done only in story predator rooms.

I still have to do the last 2 and the setup leaves me a bit stumped. I guess I'll google them.

Xevren

I think I actually hate WB for thinking multiplayer was a good idea. A week in and the only game I can remember with a more fucking desolate lobby is Overlord 2. To then have the temerity to tie a load of ass achievements to said multiplayer was the fetid icing on an already putrid cake. There goes any hope of a trio of platinums. Dicks.

Faux rage aside, I actually had quite a bit of fun in some of the games. It's kinda a shame nobody is even trying it. And that you need to wait 30 mins in the lobby for a match.

I think people are playing it, the problem is the matchmaking is just awful and people aren't able to get in. I think it's kind of fun just wish it had more.

Worst Nightmare Challenges do NOT stack :(

I toooold you this yesterday! As long as you do the first, then the second and so on, you can do more than one in one room. How are you doing now, what rank/how close to the end are ya?

I toooold you this yesterday! As long as you do the first, then the second and so on, you can do more than one in one room. How are you doing now, what rank/how close to the end are ya?

Yeah, but it's really specific how they can stack. Pain in the arse system!

I'm on Challenge 11 (sonic batarang takedown) and the next one is 5 different takedowns in one room, so I should knock them out at the same time.

Just beat
Bane in the Hotel
... man that was rough without counter signals! But only died twice as opposed to my first playthrough. I'm still dreading it on IATN mode!

Veelk

Banned
So I finally beat it. I had replayed Arkham City right before it, and given how many cues it takes from AC, I feel it's appropriate to compare them. The only problem is where to begin?

Also, spoilers for those who have not completed the game

Visuals. Okay, there is a definite give and take here. AO is clearly superior in a lot of ways, but the animation and cinematography particularly stand out to me. Joker's twitches and mannerism and motions and the way the camera keeps shaking around him all serve to help him look all the more unhinged. The faces are also more animated than usual, which is a huge help to Batman in particular. AC had awful 'acting' because Batman would often just stand with the same expression on his face no matter what he was saying or how. As a result, I think Kevin Conroy is misblamed for giving a bad performance when it was the animation at fault for not helping him convey his voice with body language and facial expression. Which is not to say that Troy Baker and Roger Craig Smith didn't hit it out of the park, because they totally did. Here, the WB Montreal definitely out did Rocksteady.

In terms of aesthetics, it's much less clear cut. Again, the animation and the new designed faces, particularly of Batman, Joker, and Bane are all much more lively and...well, better, yeah. However, everyones costumes are much darker now and bane looked so ordinary that he was borderline indistinguishable from any other giant mook. That's not the only thing that lost color. Gotham is a mish mash of white, grey, and black with the occasional neon or plot relevent building being kinda, sorta different. This is one thing I noticed from playing AC so close to AO, because every district in AC had it's own distinct look. Not so with AO, where I wouldn't be able to tell you where I was without checking the map. This muted, grey style is pretty cool looking in many ways, but there is definitely something lost with the removal of all this color. Similarly, something about Enigma's datapacks not being question mark shaped just....I hate using this word because I find it meaningless most of the time, but it lacked personality. This is just some random asshole Batman is facing, not the Riddler, and it just isn't as motivating for me to go after Random Asshole. Maybe this is just me, but it's a severe difference from how enthusiastic I felt about recollecting all the Riddler trophies in Arkham City. Even though I already collected them all before and there was nothing to gain from doing it again. Come back once you've found a costume, Enigma.

Story, I am going to mostly echo my agreement that AO probably has the best story of the 3 games. And the writing in particular, as in a lot of the dialogue, comes off more naturalistic than the hammy kinds of scripts that Dini puts out for the villains. That said, as a whole, I'm not particularly impressed. The Joker and Bane moments were cool, but I felt they were the only 2 villains of agency within the plot. The 'Night of 8 assassins' was a major dud because the majority of them didn't have the screentime to establish their presence before being thrown into a boss fight and then forgotten about. They weren't even very good boss fights, but more on that later. Deathstroke was built up so much in the marketing, but I couldn't believe how they dealt with him in the game. He shows up out of nowhere whatsoever, gets his ass kicked, you meet him grumbling in his cell later on? This is how you treat the minor characters of your game, not top dogs. For all the failings that AC's story had, it had much grander ambitions by having each character have a plot worthy of them, and that includes the minor characters. In AO, the only characters given the respect they deserve were Joker and Bane. Now, as a story about Joker and Bane, it succeeded, I don't deny that, but it promised us more with how they hyped up Deadshot and Deathstroke and Black Mask. Now, I will give credit where its due and agree that there are some really well done scenes, like Joker's reveal and when Batman saved him and when Batman broke down in front of Alfred, and I really appreciate Bane being the intelligent adversary that he is meant to be. But overall, it is a humbler, albiet more focused and better acted, story whose modest success is atleast less interesting than AC's grand failures. I would rather see each villain strive to be given their due than have them be shafted for a few.

But the gameplay is what it's all about, as I've so often said. Well, I don't think I can add much that hasn't already been said. I agree that the enemies are way too aggressive. The player needs more ability to cancel out of animations if he is going to be dealing with assholes that attack with that kind of frequency. It is way too easy to be trolled out of a combo from a random mook that flimsely kicks you when your essentially a single frame away from hitting him instead. AC struck the perfect balance of difficulty and control and if AO is going to turn up the aggressiveness of the enemies, they need to compensate the player with more abilities as well. That said, I do like the enemies they added to the mix. The martial artists, the venom users, etc, all good stuff. The gadgets, however, they were really lazy with. You essentially only have 2 that are truly new, the concussion grenade and grapple thingy (whatever it's called). Otherwise, everything else was lifted from AC, and the triple batarang from AA. They also have the shock gloves, but they're just a supermode rather than a genuine gadget. Unfortunately, while the concussion grenade is okay, the shock gloves and grapple line thingy are way, way overpowered. In predator encounters, the grapple line essentially gives you 3 free takedowns. You can shoot it from across the room and no one can spot you using it (even though they can always somehow tell where a batarang came from...). And the shock gloves just remove any defense an enemy can have against a regular attack and doubles the damage. The grapple line thingy has potential, but the shock gloves just flat out need to go imo.

The city itself is pretty bad and probably the games biggest failure. As I mentioned before, the greyness of it makes it feel samey and indistinct, but whats worse is the sheer hugeness of it. It's very clear that they just made it bigger for biggers sake. On top of that, the lack of general polish means that the grapple is very unreliable. There are times were I've pointed straight up and I'd somehow end up flying across in a totally different direction nearly horizontally. It just doesn't feel, too often, that I have good control over where I want to go. This makes traveling very unfun, compared to the blast I had doing it in AC, which is a very bad thing if you're going to make the world this huge. Yeah, I have fast travel, but that doesn't help you when you're just exploring or have trying to track down large quanities of things like the datapacks. And frankly, it should be considered a failure if the player wants to fast-travel instead of exploring your world most of the time. This is probably the number one reason why I just don't feel like going back to AO right now and collecting that 150 of Enigma packs i have left to get, where in AC I had to stop myself from wasting my time collecting things I already have in another savefile for no reward. All that said, the indoor levels of AO seemed generally up to snuff. In fairness, it's hard to screw up combat rooms. All you need is an open space, which most of them are. The predator rooms require a bit more work, but they seemed fine. Penguin's ship wasn't a very interesting environment, but the other places were better, especially once you got to the hotel. I just miss the riddles that encouraged you to look closely at the environment for references. I hear there are a few, like rejected assassins in the Steel Mill, but they're obviously not as numerous as they were in AA and AC.

The bosses, given how hyped up they were, are probably the greatest disappointment. They weren't bad, but you do not spend your entire marketing budget showing off these assassins and then give us what are largely par for course boss battles. Again, Deathstroke in particular comes to mind as being a cinematic heavy, easy boss battle that was severely overhyped. I am told that he greatly improves on NG+ where there is no counter signal, but you should not have to replay the entire game to get to the good part of the fight. That said, they were okay. The problem, as I mentioned in the story bit, is presentation. They just come right the fuck out of nowhere. In AC, giving the villain a proper build up makes all the difference. Ra's al Ghul, who is very similar to Deathstroke's fight, was much more impressive to me for all the build up that went into him. In comparison, deathstroke turns up out of nowhere, fights, then is basically forgotten about outside a cameo and stinger. Copperhead is the same. Electrocutioner has build up, but no boss battle (after the ship fight, which...really? I'd have preferred if they hadn't given him the shaft or atleast a second chance after the first failure). Firefly appeared in that one cutscene with joker, but who the fuck knows what the fuck he was doing for most of the game until his part, and that boss battle flat out sucked. Bane's fight was a disappointment, both times, since the only reason he was any sort of challenge is because he had his mooks gang up on me. Dammit, no, that's not how a boss battle is suppose to be fought unless the boss itself is as weak as the mooks around him. As a result, fighting him was very frustrating for me. Everyone else was dealt with in a sidemission, which, again...lame. The side missions are for the lower tier characters (Mad Hatter in AC) or the ones you are hyping up for the next game (Hush, Azrael). It's so disappointing to get only this one single encounter with Deadshot and Shiva when they could have been so much more.

I feel like there is more to say, but in the interest of time, I'll just say that I feel like AO is a good Batman game, but there's a hundred things missing that make it incomplete. Somethings are obvious, other things are more subtle and almost negligible. And it's not to say that there aren't things that WB Montreal did better than Rocksteady, because I really hope that the next Arkham game has Bane returned to his viciously intelligent self and that Black Mask gets a chance to shine for real and that they take cues from some of the aesthetics and animation that are in AO. All good stuff and I wish I didn't come off sounding as much of a fanboy as I feel I am in saying this. But whatever it is that makes Rocksteady's games click with me to such a degree that I stay up way past the time I should playing them, AO doesn't have it. It's a good imitation, but it doesn't beat the real thing.

Some Nobody

Agreed, but then in all fairness after doing those challenges the developer would pretty much have to be a dick to create something I'd consider "difficult" by comparison.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do I have to unlock the Dark Knight and the worst nightmare objectivs while playing the story or am I able to unlock them via Predator Missions started in the Batcave, too?

Do I have to unlock the Dark Knight and the worst nightmare objectivs while playing the story or am I able to unlock them via Predator Missions started in the Batcave, too?

It's a no, it can't be in the batcave BUT that would, imo, be the best solution here, and (maybe?) the easiest way to patch in a fix for people bothered by this. It would actually compel people to do the predator challenges as you unlock them throughout the campaign too, which would be neat. I get the feeling they sit there untouched and never even looked at by a lot of people.

Only in story mode. Carries over to NG+ and IATN though so you have three playthroughs to do them.

It's a no, it can't be in the batcave BUT that would, imo, be the best solution here, and (maybe?) the easiest way to patch in a fix for people bothered by this. It would actually compel people to do the predator challenges as you unlock them throughout the campaign too, which would be neat. I get the feeling they sit there untouched and never even looked at by a lot of people.

One of the Devs commented on this on twitter. Someone asked if it was possible, and the response was "We'll look into it".

I'm trying to find it now, but I can't remember who said it. Someone posted it on the official forums.

Ah, found it...

https://twitter.com/ericholmeslive/status/397096672649424896

Are there any other unlockable Batsuits than the Noel one?

Dark Knight suit for finishing ALL of the dark knight system, new 52 suit for finishing all of the most wanted (if I'm remembering right), there's a suit for rpestiging multiplayer, and the worst nightmare suit for 100% all of your original playthrough, and NG+

GeoGonzo

Veelk, I don't think that it is completely fair to weight a game's story against the expectations you had based on pre-release marketing... and I had no issues with the city (maybe it looks bland in consoles?) or the grappling hook (which in fact seems to latch from a much greater distance now), but I agree with the rest of your review.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm actually at the point where I would like to try and do the horrible multiplayer trophies even though they are almost impossible, but no one plays multi so that's that. It also freezes on me all the time.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm actually at the point where I would like to try and do the horrible multiplayer trophies even though they are almost impossible, but no one plays multi so that's that. It also freezes on me all the time.

Seems the best way to knock out the multiplayer trophies will be by boosting, I'm afraid.

With CoDs and Battlefields coming out, the already tiny population is about to become zero.

Seems the best way to knock out the multiplayer trophies will be by boosting, I'm afraid.

With CoDs and Battlefields coming out, the already tiny population is about to become zero.

Yeah, tried doing that. Had a group together, one person got their Predator Paragon trophy and bailed. Two hours and nothing later we all give up.

Yeah, tried doing that. Had a group together, one person got their Predator Paragon trophy and bailed. Two hours and nothing later we all give up.

That sucks!

I'm gonna have to try and get a 360 group together, but everytime I'm forced to do some boosting (I only consider it if online is dead) I constantly come across Americans (I'm UK) and either not enough show up when they say they will, or they all want to start so late that I get screwed. When everyone but you want to start playing between 23:00 and 01:00, you tend to miss out.

Lima

I suggest you guys go to trueachievements/truetrophies and set up a gaming session there or join an existing one. Fully organized and easy to find people that will also stay until the end (mostly, if not just give them bad feedback).

tim1138

Dark Knight suit for finishing ALL of the dark knight system, new 52 suit for finishing all of the most wanted (if I'm remembering right), there's a suit for rpestiging multiplayer, and the worst nightmare suit for 100% all of your original playthrough, and NG+

Right on, thanks

I got Predator Paragon legitimately, but it was after I prestiged... so yeah there's a good amount of time required to do it. Same with the win on every map one, because winning with Batman and Robin can be very difficult.

Anyway the MP is far from perfect but I can't deny that I've had a lot of fun with it. Getting the intimidation meter up and witnessing the gangs freaking out, wondering if they'll be the one to lose the game for their team is a thing of beauty.

Takes too damn long to fill up and start rooms though.

Right on, thanks
There's also Red Son for playing through the iOS game (which is also a big time commitment).

GAMEPROFF

Banned

One of the Devs commented on this on twitter. Someone asked if it was possible, and the response was "We'll look into it".

I'm trying to find it now, but I can't remember who said it. Someone posted it on the official forums.

Ah, found it...

https://twitter.com/ericholmeslive/status/397096672649424896

Thanks for the answers. I hope they fix this soon, I want to unlock the Upgrade for the Sonic Batarangs, but I am not interested in starting a New Game Plus or I am the night, just to complete the Dark Knight Challenges, I will spend enough time after the completion of the story with the Riddler-Stuff and Side-Missions.

Have yet a date for the Xbox Patch?

Anyway, Arkham Origins keeps getting better and better as long as I play it. The story and most of the Side-Missions really lacks compared to Arkham City but it makes fun just to go thorugh Gotham and find stuff.

Top Bottom