• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

pa22word

I feel like I stepped into an argument from another household all of a sudden.

Note to self: use different nicknames throughout different websites.

It's mainly due to deficiencies in the GFAQS board system than anything else. Instead of strictly moderating single, generic spoiler topics for titles (such as BATMAN AO SPOILER OT HERE like on gaf) users are allowed to blanket post whatever they want, and if they word that topic title in a certain way it becomes very obvious to other people what the spoiler entails, even if the poster didn't intend to spoil anyone. Which is what happened here.

Problem is, person is acting like I shouldn't care that the story was spoiled because Arkham games have "usually awful stories", which imo, bullshit on that. I paid ~$40 for the game. If I am to be disappointed by the spoiler, it should be on my terms, not his.

Again, sorry for shitting the thread up with this, but it's extremely aggravating to spoiled on plot intricacies of a title that's less than 20 hours from being in your hands.

Huh?

Neo Member
I wasn't sold on Baker's Joker when the first clips came out, but that Killing Joke monologue at New York Comic-Con totally won me over.

Effect

Since this is all happening on Christmas eve I wonder if there is a sense of time passing. Or if it seems like time doesn't move and the date and time are just words to be ignored? Is that how it was in Arkham City? Wasn't that suppose to take place over a night as well?

I don't remember Arkham Asylum being on some kind of time limit like that. Just that the inmates had control and it was easy to think that hours or perhaps days could have passed.

bryanee

Since this is all happening on Christmas eve I wonder if there is a sense of time passing. Or if it seems like time doesn't move and the date and time are just words to be ignored? Is that how it was in Arkham City? Wasn't that suppose to take place over a night as well?

I don't remember Arkham Asylum not being on on some kind of time limit like that. Just that the inmates had control and it was easy to think that hours or perhaps days could have passed.

AC was over one night.

Don't care

Sure you don't.
Problem is, person is acting like I shouldn't care that the story was spoiled because Arkham games have "usually awful stories", which imo, bullshit on that. I paid ~$40 for the game. If I am to be disappointed by the spoiler, it should be on my terms, not his.

Again, sorry for shitting the thread up with this, but it's extremely aggravating to spoiled on plot intricacies of a title that's less than 20 hours from being in your hands.
Snrk, plot intricacies. Right. Anyway, glad you're done.

AC was over one night.

So was Asylum. This is my biggest complaint with the series. Their entire premise of "the longest night in Batman's life" is kind of lame to begin with, and now they're doing it for a third time.

Not that I'm not crazy hyped for this still. But, I hope whatever the next-gen game is it's something different than "Holy fuck, Batman has to fight Joker, Bane, Croc, Scarecrow, Freeze, and Penguin all in one night!!!!"

You want to call me an asshole, say it to my face bro.

LOL. Calm down, children. Only happy thoughts in Batman threads.

Sure you don't.

Snrk, plot intricacies. Right. Anyway, glad you're done.

2s1rs6cdqszu.gif

You two, should play the multiplayer together as Batman and Robin.

daman824

Oh shit! I just spoiled myself. But this game is going to be really good. Those of you upset with the other spoiler don't really know much. There is a ton of surprises in store.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So for those who have it early, how does the PS3 version run?

I had no problems at all with Arkham City on mine (at least, that I noticed) but I have heard people say that there's some FPS issues?

How bad are they?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
really, all I want is more fighting and the premise of assasins sounds like it should have some good H2H battles with that combat system. Whether the game is just a Ubisoft/Yearly COD type experience, I'm ok with that.

Pretty much have ignore most other video's and press releases, and have avoided being spoiled. Though, listened to the soundtrack on youtube, and it sounds fantastic. Christopher Drake has really come along, and is doing solid work with the various DC Cartoons and games.

Welp Steam's definitely saying it unlocks in 9.5 hours here in Australia but Steam releases have been really volatile here lately and I feel like it could change any second, or just not unlock when it ticks down to 0. Will let the thread know what the graphics options are like.

The_Dude

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but is there any reason the Wii U and 3DS versions have been delayed in Australia? I was looking forward to picking up Blackgate tomorrow, but now I see it's November 6th. Vita version is still coming out tomorrow, though. This sucks.

TentPole

So....traditionally, how hard has Valve been on people in the past who use VPN's to unlock games early >.>?

I do it all the time and have never had any trouble but it is clearly against the TOS so I really wouldn't recommend it unless you are both insanely impatient and careless.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm sure the gameplay and everything will be good... I just want the story to be good. Everything else, I think they've got handled.

Well... it's not Rocksteady so I'm not sure that "everything will be good". Rocksteady themselves got some issues with AA and AC like the pacing and boss fights and now it's a new studio following Rocksteady formula so things can go wrong.

So for those who have it early, how does the PS3 version run?

I had no problems at all with Arkham City on mine (at least, that I noticed) but I have heard people say that there's some FPS issues?

How bad are they?

My closest friend bought it early and we played it for 1.5-2 hours (Couldn't buy since i don't have money right now). I noticed FPS drops when gliding and when fighting against many enemies. Also we played Arkham City just after this (and after that Origins again) and this game looks bland compared to it.

Liking it so far for the most part. Some of the little things I'm really not liking related to the combat...

The vault smash attack (like batman's regular smash attack but instead you can jump of an enemy and vault over to another and smash down onto them) In Arkham City you could do this and easily counter attack out of it if need be. Batman now does the same animation as a combat takedown (RT+Y), though it doesn't knock the enemy out. It's kind of a waste and pointless to do now. Shame too cause it was one of the cooler techniques.

The XP system. I loved in the other games but now they have made it a little too detailed with the letter grading. Sometimes its even just flatout wrong. For instance I was in a predator area and defeated all the enemies while remaining undetected. The last enemy was guarding a door, I threw a smoke bomb from around cover causing him to fire in the air. I then run out and silently take him out. The grading pops up and tells me that I was shot 1 time for some reason. Strange.

And the unlockable skills (minor spoilers)

The x5 counter ability isn't unlockable till almost at the end of the combat skill tree. I wish they would of kept it so you could just pick abilities you want and had specific ones unlocked through story progression. Now I have to upgrade my armor fully before getting certain abilities. In AC I would save those upgrades towards the end since I was proficient in combat and stealth and didn't need them.

The vault smash attack (like batman's regular smash attack but instead you can jump of an enemy and vault over to another and smash down onto them) In Arkham City you could do this and easily counter attack out of it if need be.
Holy shit I've been replaying AC and the combat challenges a heap this past few weeks and I forgot all about this. Shame it's no good now. I had the feeling they wouldn't nail every minor complexity in the combat but if that's your main complaint they've probably done a pretty good job.

Holy shit I've been replaying AC and the combat challenges a heap this past few weeks and I forgot all about this. Shame it's no good now. I had the feeling they wouldn't nail every minor complexity in the combat but if that's your main complaint they've probably done a pretty good job.

I have some others, but I'm waiting to playthrough before judging. lol

Enectic

Banned
A little weary of this game due to the lack of Rocksteady but I have been enjoyed what I've seen so far. Curious to see how it fares review wise.

To be honest I can't see the problem here. The twist in Arkham City
Clayface is the Joker
was worse than that.

Err...what? That was a twist that was both very plausible and alluded to beforehand. It was a very common theory prerelease as well. It's not like it was an asspull or anything.

Sober

It's been 2011 since AC but I still remember for stuff like the aerial attack only having invincibility frames on shield wielders and redirecting if you got caught trying to do it to a regular henchmen but his buddy is about to attack you.

I wish I tried harder on the leaderboards back when the game came out. I might've topped out at 3rd on some combat maps.

Has there been any news/rumors about Rocksteady since the whole "silver age dc" blip from last summer?

When they go dark, they REALLY go dark.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Has there been any news/rumors about Rocksteady since the whole "silver age dc" blip from last summer?

Other than Conroy has been working on recording lines for the game, which he let slip accidentally a while ago, there hasn't been a word. If he hadn't said that we wouldn't even know it exists.

Some Nobody

I've looked SEVERAL times and found absolutely nothing. They really didn't want anyone to know what they were up to. I'm thinking this time next year we'll be seeing a new game, with an announcement either for the VGAs this year or at next year's E3.

I really didn't want Warner's to COD this series, but considering how close they were to shelving DC's properties altogether, I guess its fine.

Mattiator

Pre-loading as I type this, can't wait to get off evening shift tommirow night and give it a go. My expectations are low so I think I may enjoy
It .

BibiMaghoo

Wasn't going to get this, but Green Man have it for £22.50 with the voucher code, and I couldn't help myself.

What time does the game unlock? Pre-loading now.

DrBo42

Wasn't going to get this, but Green Man have it for £22.50 with the voucher code, and I couldn't help myself.

What time does the game unlock? Pre-loading now.

Not sure if it's a world wide release but 13 hours here in the states. Can always VPN unlock it if it's not live at that time in your country.

Eusis

Not sure if it's a world wide release but 13 hours here in the states. Can always VPN unlock it if it's not live at that time in your country.
That time actually seems to be midnight for the UK, so I suspect it's the same: a literal midnight launch that those of us in America can take advantage of.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
And the unlockable skills (minor spoilers)

I wish they would of kept it so you could just pick abilities you want and had specific ones unlocked through story progression. Now I have to upgrade my armor fully before getting certain abilities. In AC I would save those upgrades towards the end since I was proficient in combat and stealth and didn't need them.

Wow, that is a huge bummer for me.

I tried activating my VPN program (TunnelBear), and choosing Japan as my country, and it looks like game will unlock on Steam in some 2 hours. Can't wait!

MIlky1985

Banned
Have there been any reviews of this game yet? Enjoyed the first two games (except for the whole thing in city where if you finished the game you couldn't go back and get certain collectables). But I was getting a bit worried when Jim Sterling tweeted that they never got review code and a few other journos piped up saying the same thing, my cynicism gets the better of me when publisher do that sort of thing :/

Top Bottom