• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Raxious

anyone got an alternative to Tunnelbear / flyvpn ? FlyVPN keeps ending up being full, and Tunnelbear isn't installing the driver on my PC :s

Hasney

I don't know what it is in comparison to the last two I played on PC, but everything just looks so much sharper and everything just feels snappier.

My hardware is exactly the same as it was those times as well - I only played through the last two since I got the pack at GMG. Unless somehow Windows 8.1 has a feature I wasn't aware of.

Only played the tutorial mission before stopping to head to bed, but this is an Arkham game all right.

Arkham City in DX11 mode was a bit of a mess performance wise, especially at launch. Not sure how it is now, got to do a GOTY Steamworks playthrough now.

anyone got an alternative to Tunnelbear / flyvpn ? FlyVPN keeps ending up being full, and Tunnelbear isn't installing the driver on my PC :s

Tunnelbear doesn't work on Steam now anyway. Try other servers on FlyVPN? Any Asian or Aussie one should work now.

WaltJay

Guesong

Tunnelbear doesn't work on Steam now anyway. Try other servers on FlyVPN? Any Asian or Aussie one should work now.

?

It worked just fine for me!

Now the only thing I'm left wondering is whether I have to leave it on Japan for me to be able to play the game, or will reverting to America work...because I tried reverting and the game wanted to know none of it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
?

Now the only thing I'm left wondering is whether I have to leave it on Japan for me to be able to play the game, or will reverting to America work...because I tried reverting and the game wanted to know none of it.

You don't need to have the VPN running after you've launched the game.

Raxious

Arkham City in DX11 mode was a bit of a mess performance wise, especially at launch. Not sure how it is now, got to do a GOTY Steamworks playthrough now.

Reinstalled Tunnelbear again and now it works.

?

Yep, worked fine for me too. Now just waiting for this update to finish and to start the game.

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AWESOME:
After 4 hours I gave this game a 8.5/10
Now it's a 9.5/10
The story is great. Much better than AA or AC. It's not complex but it's well executed

edit: A bit disappointing that after the great level at 56%...the story progression now is at 90 %. Yeah it was a long mission but...hmm...:/

Hasney

Huh, dunno what service I was thinking of instead of TunnelBear. I'm pretty sure it had an animal in though, so happy that it works for you guys!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's nice to hear that the developers of TunnelBear apparently finally got around to correcting whatever issue was causing the program to trip over with Steam. When the problem first occurred I checked in on it for months before giving up.

Huh, dunno what service I was thinking of instead of TunnelBear. I'm pretty sure it had an animal in though, so happy that it works for you guys!

You're definitely thinking of TunnelBear.

Hurley

Reading some positive impressions so far. The news about how it seems to be well optimized is great too.

I was on the fence, now I'm somewhat off the fence...almost ready to make the purchase.

rmanthorp

Now it's a 9.5/10
The story is great. Much better than AA or AC. It's not complex but it's well executed

edit: A bit disappointing that after the great level at 56%...the story progression now is at 90 %. Yeah it was a long mission but...hmm...:/

YESSSSS. YESSS FEED ME MORE.

TunnelBear stopped working with Steam yonks ago. Edit: Apparently it works again. Glad to see developers finally got that sorted. Use FlyVPN's free service and connect to the Japan server.

You don't need to switch to Offline Mode at all. Run VPN -> Launch game -> Quit VPN. Leaving Steam in Offline Mode is just oh-so-slightly easier because you don't need to worry about using a VPN again if you quit the game.

Fuck yes, done. Thank you very much. See you all on the other side.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
PC version, max settings, downsampled from 4K.

batman-arkham-originsg7an3.png

batman-arkham-originsprya5.png

batman-arkham-originsdgz4c.png

batman-arkham-originsifbo8.png

batman-arkham-originssiux5.png

?

You can turn off the VPN, but make sure you leave steam in offline mode till the game is released to avoid a possible ban.

Vitor711

PC version, max settings, downsampled from 4K.

batman-arkham-originsg7an3.png

batman-arkham-originsprya5.png

batman-arkham-originsdgz4c.png

batman-arkham-originsifbo8.png

batman-arkham-originssiux5.png

What's performance like? DX11 was horribly implemented in AC. Any improvement there or am I better off keeping it down and playing with the PhysX instead (the latter of which actually ran better than the DX11 stuff surprisingly last time around)?

Hasney

What's performance like? DX11 was horribly implemented in AC. Any improvement there or am I better off keeping it down and playing with the PhysX instead (the latter of which actually ran better than the DX11 stuff surprisingly last time around)?

It's sounding better to me:

Just to confirm the game seems well optimized on PC. I'm getting 35-45 FPS with everything maxed out including DX11 and PhysX on an aging 560Ti, which is insane to me. The smoke effects are also insanely awesome.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

I have had no issues. No stuttering like City, better performance per effect, and so on and so forth. Definitely need the latest drivers though.

Oh, and for the people who think NVIDIA are the evil empire - everything we and WB Games Montreal implemented, with the exception of PhysX and TXAA, works on those other GPUs also.

Turn off that TXAA, looks like junk. Use SGSSAA. :p

Hah! Screenshots were taken with MSAA!

witness

Now it's a 9.5/10

Hype!!! How many hours in are you now? Have you done many sidequests or just mainline?

Anyone with the console version can confirm a 3D mode? It was in the main menu under options for AC.

Dave_6

I wonder if my 7970 will be able to play this one in DX11? The one time I tried to launch AC in DX11 it hard locked to a black screen and I had to run task manager to get out of it.

Hasney

I have had no issues. No stuttering like City, better performance per effect, and so on and so forth. Definitely need the latest drivers though.

Oh, and for the people who think NVIDIA are the evil empire - everything we and WB Games Montreal implemented, with the exception of PhysX and TXAA, works on those other GPUs also.

So glad NVIDIA made their drivers GAME READY finally. Was tired of these driver optimised for listening to music.

KDC720

I was playing some Riddlers Revenge last night trying to finish up some Nightwing and Robin stuff, and it left me hungry for some more open world batman action.

After hearing these good impressions so far I'm considering a preorder, but this game has been mentioned a lot in the bad plot twist thread. Without spoiling anything is the twist really that bad, does it ruin the game?

Hype!!! How many hours in are you now? Have you done many sidequests or just mainline?

Anyone with the console version can confirm a 3D mode? It was in the main menu under options for AC.

I've done a couple of sidequests but there's still al lot to do.
I'm pretty sure the story takes just as long as Arkham City's story.

No 3D-mode, sorry.

rmanthorp

I was playing some Riddlers Revenge last night trying to finish up some Nightwing and Robin stuff, and it left me hungry for some more open world batman action.

After hearing these good impressions so far I'm considering a preorder, but this game has been mentioned a lot in the bad plot twist thread. Without spoiling anything is the twist really that bad, does it ruin the game?

Nope. There is more to it than people believe. It got totally blown out of proportion.

I wonder if my 7970 will be able to play this one in DX11? The one time I tried to launch AC in DX11 it hard locked to a black screen and I had to run task manager to get out of it.

I hope so. I just got a 280x and would be pissed if it didn't run it at full 60/ 1080p!!

No, not really. I don't think it's a bad twist.

AHA-Lambda

I got it spoiled accidentally to me yesterday and honestly I think people are seriously overreacting. It's kind of disappointing but hardly game breaking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished the very first mission before arriving at the bat cave. In other words, the short intro. Can't play more and wont be able to until Sunday. Liking what I've played so far. Bats does not fuck around and the game in general has a far more foreboding vibe to it. This is a Dark Knight that everybody is shit scared of.

batsksasw.png

shitttttttttttt, my ip is my limiting factor now, still no preload done after 1 1/2 days of downloading.

I've got tunnelbear ready and rearin to go :(.

rmanthorp

Finished the very first mission before arriving at the bat cave. In other words, the short intro. Can't play more and wont be able to until Sunday. Liking what I've played so far. Bats does not fuck around and the game in general has a far more foreboding vibe to it. This is a Dark Knight that everybody is shit scared of.

That's a nice shot.

Onionkid

Any word on the 360 version? Is it at least decently polished lol.

My save is only 23% in so I haven't seen much yet, but so far so good. My most recent playthrough of any of the games was AC on PC though, so it's noticeably crap compared to that, obviously. But for a 360 game, it seems polished enough, certainly isn't ugly. And runs well enough, I haven't noticed any horrible framerate dips or anything, and no freezes/hangups that I've seen.

And yep, I'm really enjoying this so far and think the "no Rocksteady oh noes!" crowd will have their fears alleviated soon!

Tabby

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who had no issues with AC performance wise?
Either way, glad to hear this is getting positive impressions.

Dave_6

Damn that looks good! Hopefully I'll be able to play it tonight.

Naminator

Banned
By the way, I don't want to seem like I'm advertising, but GreenManGaming right now is offering this game for 37.50, by using the 20% off voucher, it comes with the pre-order bonus as well, so thats fucking awesome.

Top Bottom