• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Fixed? What was your issue?

Well, of the ones I can remember:
  • There were some bullet detection issues
  • Sometimes I would be taking someone down, then it would lag be back three steps and show that same person killing me
  • Difficulties connecting to games
  • Occasionally I would die and not respawn at all, and would be unable to do anything except quit
  • There was a lobby where there were two Robins and one Batman for around 3 consecutive matches
  • It was also increasingly difficult to win as the heroes, like you needed far too much intimidation to win and your losses from dying were way too big

It's really minor, fixable stuff, but put together, they turn into some pretty big annoyances.

JohngPR

For those with "the other GPU" (all in good fun haha), it seems like MSAA kills performance....at least in the graphics settings menu. I went from 60 in the menus to 40's in the menu just from turning MSAA on. I figure if the framerate almost gets halved there, I shouldn't even try it in game.

Getting ready to play it now that I unlocked my copy.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
For those with "the other GPU" (all in good fun haha), it seems like MSAA kills performance....at least in the graphics settings menu. I went from 60 in the menus to 40's in the menu just from turning MSAA on. I figure if the framerate almost gets halved there, I shouldn't even try it in game.

The main menu has extra post-processing, filters and DoF, so its performance isn't reflective of in-game perf.

SparkTR

I don't know, I get better performance in game than in the menu.

JohngPR

The main menu has extra post-processing, filters and DoF, so its performance isn't reflective of in-game perf.

Oh ok, good to know. Thanks...I'll give it a shot. :) I'll start with MSAA 4x and go from there.

Worst case scenario I'll inject SMAA via Sweet FX and use FXAA Low if I have to.

Right, my Batman: Arkham Origins graphics guide is up: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/batman-arkham-origins-graphics-and-performance-guide

Shows you what each setting does, gives you nice slidey comparisons, and if you have one of our GPUs I give you a rough idea of what settings you can use.

If I understood well Tessellation in Origins is used only for Batman's cape + snow, while Batman: AC used it extensively in the environment. From your old article: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ty-graphics-breakdown-and-performance-guide#1

In Batman: Arkham City, tessellation is used to add extra definition to organic, curved and bendy objects, such as trees and power cables.

That's a little disappointing.

Oh, and for the people who think NVIDIA are the evil empire - everything we and WB Games Montreal implemented, with the exception of PhysX and TXAA, works on those other GPUs also.

Good to know I was right then! And please do continue along that path! :)

Phandy

Well, of the ones I can remember:
  • There were some bullet detection issues
  • Sometimes I would be taking someone down, then it would lag be back three steps and show that same person killing me
  • Difficulties connecting to games
  • Occasionally I would die and not respawn at all, and would be unable to do anything except quit
  • There was a lobby where there were two Robins and one Batman for around 3 consecutive matches
  • It was also increasingly difficult to win as the heroes, like you needed far too much intimidation to win and your losses from dying were way too big

It's really minor, fixable stuff, but put together, they turn into some pretty big annoyances.

Preface for people; I worked on the multiplayer at Splash Damage (Concept Artist!), so I'm interested to here what people think! Its my first shipped title so its exciting!

As for your points. There was tonnes of bug fixing and polish since the beta, so I would hope that most of those bugs are gone. Connection/lag issues are a whole different ballpark, I couldn't comment really :/ I only got to play it internally, but stuff was/is always being worked on.

As for the heroes team, we actually find this quite interesting, because if you get a player who is really good at batman/robin, he can annihilate a whole team, he can be really really really powerful. I'm interested to see how people learn how to play him well. I assume some balancing as been done, especially since balancing for 3 teams is quite complex.

I'm always intrigued as to what you guys think of it, Love or hate!

Preface for people; I worked on the multiplayer at Splash Damage (Concept Artist!), so I'm interested to here what people think! Its my first shipped title so its exciting!

As for your points. There was tonnes of bug fixing and polish since the beta, so I would hope that most of those bugs are gone. Connection/lag issues are a whole different ballpark, I couldn't comment really :/ I only got to play it internally, but stuff was/is always being worked on.

As for the heroes team, we actually find this quite interesting, because if you get a player who is really good at batman/robin, he can annihilate a whole team, he can be really really really powerful. I'm interested to see how people learn how to play him well. I assume some balancing as been done, especially since balancing for 3 teams is quite complex.

Interesting to know that you worked on it, I'm glad my feedback made it to you, then! I should say that obviously, none of my criticisms were meant in a negative way, just constructively. As for connection issues, I had considered the idea that since the beta pool was very small, there's a possibility I had a connection problem with whoever the host was on occasion.

In terms of the heroes team, I've had conflicting experiences with this. I've won a couple (I think literally two) games during the beta, whereas I faced one or two pairs that completely annihilated us using the heroes. Generally, though, I found it difficult to gain the momentum to build up a decent score.

I'm really glad to hear the game has been worked on since then. You've really appeased my worries about it, because Origins wasn't even on my radar until the multiplayer was announced. I loved how ambitious it was and it really was fun most of the time during the beta. I may just buy the game now, since everybody seems to already be playing it and such. The cost for the Steam version would easily be justified by how much time I'd spend on the story and challenge maps, anyway.

justjim89

It depends on where you are (or more importantly, where Steam THINKS you are).

Oh ok. I typically don't fuck with location-based stuff. Seems like the kinda thing one could get in trouble with Valve for. I'm in Central time in the US, and things typically unlock at noon here. So hopefully another 2 hours and not 7.

Sullichin

Ooh looks like this will be unlocked by the time I get home from work. Thought I would have to wait until midnight at least.

I'm excited for this, I haven't been following it too closely but I love the other Arkham games. I did read that story spoiler thread the other day though. Oh well.

Phandy

Interesting to know that you worked on it, I'm glad my feedback made it to you, then! I should say that obviously, none of my criticisms were meant in a negative way, just constructively. As for connection issues, I had considered the idea that since the beta pool was very small, there's a possibility I had a connection problem with whoever the host was on occasion.

In terms of the heroes team, I've had conflicting experiences with this. I've won a couple (I think literally two) games during the beta, whereas I faced one or two pairs that completely annihilated us using the heroes. Generally, though, I found it difficult to gain the momentum to build up a decent score.

I'm really glad to hear the game has been worked on since then. You've really appeased my worries about it, because Origins wasn't even on my radar until the multiplayer was announced. I loved how ambitious it was and it really was fun most of the time during the beta. I may just buy the game now, since everybody seems to already be playing it and such. The cost for the Steam version would easily be justified by how much time I'd spend on the story and challenge maps, anyway.

Yeh being the heroes can be quite difficult. Especially those coming from singleplayer, it takes a few adjustments to playing against real people, they aren't quite as forgiving as AI haha! Being patient is much better than dying, you cant just dive in and start swinging so easily.
I'm not sure whether you noticed, but you know the trick to building up intimidation is to swap how you do take downs? You get more if you keep doing a variety of take downs. Doing the same repeatedly is much less effective. Stops people just camping vents and stuff.

Hopefully with a bigger player pool + any fixes you will get better connections to people.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
If I understood well Tessellation in Origins is used only for Batman's cape + snow, while Batman: AC used it extensively in the environment. From your old article: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ty-graphics-breakdown-and-performance-guide#1

That's a little disappointing.

Origins doesn't have super visible objects like the Poison Ivy plants and trees, and it was hard to notice the tessellation on external city objects like statues. I feel that the budget is better used here by switching to the cape and the snow, two things you see almost all the time.

The game's pretty okay so far, although I am seeing the lack of polish. Enemies teleport upwards or towards the ground during certain knockouts. But I'm keeping an open mind.

witness

So many posts about performance and graphics here, haha.

I feel like the odd console gamer.

Word. I'd love to have an awesome gaming PC and join in on all the fun, but the wife would never go with the initial investment cost of putting together a good gaming rig over buying a PS4. Hopefully this gets ported over next year.

Origins doesn't have super visible objects like the Poison Ivy plants and trees, and it was hard to notice the tessellation on external city objects like statues. I feel that the budget is better used here by switching to the cape and the snow, two things you see almost all the time.

I see, thanks.

Also I wonder why AC uses MVSS and this uses PCSS?

Your PCSS paper is ancient (2005): http://developer.download.nvidia.com/shaderlibrary/docs/shadow_PCSS.pdf while the MVSS one shows it is a more modern (2011) technique: https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/...gamedev/files/sdk/11/MultiViewSoftShadows.pdf.

So why revert back to PCSS? I can only assume it's an updated DX11 implementation over the one presented in the 2005 paper? I've been thinking whether this uses AC's MVSS technique but you chosen to use the name of the older PCSS technique for whatever reason.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I see, thanks.

Also I wonder why AC uses MVSS and this uses PCSS?

Your PCSS paper is ancient (2005): http://developer.download.nvidia.com/shaderlibrary/docs/shadow_PCSS.pdf while the MVSS one shows it is a more modern (2011) technique: https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/...gamedev/files/sdk/11/MultiViewSoftShadows.pdf.

So why revert back to PCSS? I can only assume it's an updated DX11 implementation over the one presented in the 2005 paper? I've been thinking whether this uses AC's MVSS technique but you chosen to use the name of the older PCSS technique for whatever reason.

Yep, PCSS has been refreshed and updated. Don't think the guys have posted the inner-workings secret sauce yet.

DrTeflon

Gaf, help me out, i'm still on the fence about this one. Enjoyed a lot of Arkham Asylum. Arkham City? Not so much, didnt even bother to finish it.

Should I get this on steam or not?

Yeh being the heroes can be quite difficult. Especially those coming from singleplayer, it takes a few adjustments to playing against real people, they aren't quite as forgiving as AI haha! Being patient is much better than dying, you cant just dive in and start swinging so easily.
I'm not sure whether you noticed, but you know the trick to building up intimidation is to swap how you do take downs? You get more if you keep doing a variety of take downs. Doing the same repeatedly is much less effective. Stops people just camping vents and stuff.

Hopefully with a bigger player pool + any fixes you will get better connections to people.

I played the beta quite a bit, so yes, I was familiar with the mechanics of intimidation and the tricks. Honestly, though, the issues I found were so minor, so just the affirmation that "yes, Splash Damage has worked on it" makes me sure that whatever problems I had will be done away with. Anyway, I'll be willing to take a risk with it at the price I've gotten it for.

Players are definitely much more fearsome opponents. The grunts' detective vision really puts them on par with the heroes; I think as far as mechanics go, that was the one that put them on the even keel.

TDLink

I only played the MP in the beta but let me say that my issues with it have nothing to do with the art. Aesthetically I thought it all looked pretty good. The environments are cool and varied enough. I also really like the way Robin looks (not sure how much you had to do with that).

Haha, within 5 mins of booting Origins up, had the 50x combo achievements. Given I only just got the AC equivalent last week, 2 years after release, I'm well chuffed haha, finally got this down. Spent almost the entire of AA fumbling through every fight.

Phandy

I played the beta quite a bit, so yes, I was familiar with the mechanics of intimidation and the tricks. Honestly, though, the issues I found were so minor, so just the affirmation that "yes, Splash Damage has worked on it" makes me sure that whatever problems I had will be done away with. Anyway, I'll be willing to take a risk with it at the price I've gotten it for.

Players are definitely much more fearsome opponents. The grunts' detective vision really puts them on par with the heroes; I think as far as mechanics go, that was the one that put them on the even keel.

Yeh, detective vision is really really important. When you start balancing with your teammates to make sure u have it up at all times. It gets real fun. You have to start using mind games to bait out heroes or the other team.

I only played the MP in the beta but let me say that my issues with it have nothing to do with the art. Aesthetically I thought it all looked pretty good. The environments are cool and varied enough. I also really like the way Robin looks (not sure how much you had to do with that).

Thanks! We didn't get to be involved in the main characters sadly, that was all single player-side developed, they did a great job with most of them I think. But all of the thugs and their customization is all us. :)

Slixshot

Banned
Gaf, help me out, i'm still on the fence about this one. Enjoyed a lot of Arkham Asylum. Arkham City? Not so much, didnt even bother to finish it.

Should I get this on steam or not?

If you can Ebay a code for $30 bucks or less and I don't see why not. I mean, it's batman. Blackfriday will see a price drop for sure, too.

k, just played for three hours without even doing the first real objective (some kind of arms deal with Penguin). So far I'm loving it. The game feels very different from Rocksteady's games, both in tone and gameplay, but not in a bad way. It's obviously built on the same foundation, but just about every little thing has been tweaked slightly.

The most noticeable thing for me is the combat. It's much faster than before. I've been playing bits and pieces of AA and AC after their GFWL patches, and Origins feels like a DMC-style Turbo Mode with a 20% speed increase or something. Enemies are much more aggressive, and they move quickly enough that you really have to be ready with those Counters. In AC you could sometimes skate if you'd accidentally hit the attack button while an enemy was winding up for an attack, but in Origins you take the hit every time. It seems like Double and Triple Counters are gone, but in their place you'll have a bunch of enemies attacking you one right after the other. You can still Evade to 'reset' any attacking goons, but I've just unlocked a new ability called Critical Counters, which gives you a x2 addition to your combo meter instead of x1 if you Counter just before an attack lands. I haven't quite worked out the timing yet, but I think it's a neat idea. In AC's combat challenges I'd almost stopped Countering altogether, just because I had more control over the situation when I was somersaulting around, but this seems like a nice risk/reward thing.

The Redirected Aerial Attack has been nerfed, for lack of a better word (the one where you Cape Stun a guy, Evade over his head, then Attack in a direction in mid-air to jump off his head and land on another guy). It has such a long animation now, that as far as I'm aware you can't cancel out of, that you pretty much can't use it without some careful planning. It's about as dangerous as the Ground Takedown now; I've been fighting with my muscle memory :p. I think the Bat Swarm special move is going to be more valuable now than ever, because crowd control can be pretty tough. I haven't unlocked any gadgets or special moves beyond the Instant Takedown yet, and they're really not shy about throwing you into big group fights in the early stages of the game. I'm playing on Hard, though, so I don't know if it's different on lower difficulties.

The upgrade system is totally different now, but it's a variation on AC's theme. You unlock a lot of the moves by completing challenges now, instead of just buying them, but I've yet to see anything new for Batman's abilities. The city is still bristling with puzzles and collectibles, so it's all good on that front. I want to get stuck into the story to see all the cool stuff, but the game tells you upfront that you can unlock a bunch of fast-travel stations by clearing out and un-jamming radio towers, and that's a rabbit hole I always fall down, so that cool stuff will have to wait.

k, just played for three hours without even doing the first real objective (some kind of arms deal with Penguin). So far I'm loving it. The game feels very different from Rocksteady's games, both in tone and gameplay, but not in a bad way. It's obviously built on the same foundation, but just about every little thing has been tweaked slightly.

The most noticeable thing for me is the combat. It's much faster than before. I've been playing bits and pieces of AA and AC after their GFWL patches, and Origins feels like a DMC-style Turbo Mode with a 20% speed increase or something. Enemies are much more aggressive, and they move quickly enough that you really have to be ready with those Counters. In AC you could sometimes skate if you'd accidentally hit the attack button while an enemy was winding up for an attack, but in Origins you take the hit every time. It seems like Double and Triple Counters are gone, but in their place you'll have a bunch of enemies attacking you one right after the other.

The Redirected Aerial Attack has been nerfed, for lack of a better word (the one where you Cape Stun a guy, Evade over his head, then Attack in a direction in mid-air to jump off his head and land on another guy). It has such a long animation now, that as far as I'm aware you can't cancel out of, that you pretty much can't use it without some careful planning. It's about as dangerous as the Ground Takedown now; I've been fighting with my muscle memory :p. I think the Bat Swarm special move is going to be more valuable now than ever, because crowd control can be pretty tough. I haven't unlocked any gadgets or special moves beyond the Instant Takedown yet, and they're really not shy about throwing you into big group fights in the early stages of the game. I'm playing on Hard, though, so I don't know if it's different on lower difficulties.

See I feel like AC was faster. Maybe its because whenever I play it now I have all the upgrades and gadget quick attacks causing me to be way more aggressive.

Multi Counters are still in there. Just maybe more rare.

Totally bummed about the aerial attack too.

After watching some gameplay I wish there was a way to turn off the nonsense bullshit scoring system that keeps showing up after every encounter. It's just gonna be there to tell me how much I suck. Lame.

justjim89

Is anyone in NA on Steam playing this? When did it unlock for you? Getting restless here but I don't want to have to change my location on Steam.

hope the fun combat encounters aren't just at the end of the game and challenges. Weird that AC has random 4 or so enemies to beatup near end game >.>"

And please please please have less snipers scenarios. So boring and more frustrating than fun.

hlhbk

Is anyone in NA on Steam playing this? When did it unlock for you? Getting restless here but I don't want to have to change my location on Steam.

I am in the same boat. I love me some Batman, but I have over 300 games on Steam and don't want to run the risk of being banned.

Top Bottom