• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Slixshot

Banned
k, just played for three hours without even doing the first real objective (some kind of arms deal with Penguin). So far I'm loving it. The game feels very different from Rocksteady's games, both in tone and gameplay, but not in a bad way. It's obviously built on the same foundation, but just about every little thing has been tweaked slightly.

The most noticeable thing for me is the combat. It's much faster than before. I've been playing bits and pieces of AA and AC after their GFWL patches, and Origins feels like a DMC-style Turbo Mode with a 20% speed increase or something. Enemies are much more aggressive, and they move quickly enough that you really have to be ready with those Counters. In AC you could sometimes skate if you'd accidentally hit the attack button while an enemy was winding up for an attack, but in Origins you take the hit every time. It seems like Double and Triple Counters are gone, but in their place you'll have a bunch of enemies attacking you one right after the other. You can still Evade to 'reset' any attacking goons, but I've just unlocked a new ability called Critical Counters, which gives you a x2 addition to your combo meter instead of x1 if you Counter just before an attack lands. I haven't quite worked out the timing yet, but I think it's a neat idea. In AC's combat challenges I'd almost stopped Countering altogether, just because I had more control over the situation when I was somersaulting around, but this seems like a nice risk/reward thing.

The Redirected Aerial Attack has been nerfed, for lack of a better word (the one where you Cape Stun a guy, Evade over his head, then Attack in a direction in mid-air to jump off his head and land on another guy). It has such a long animation now, that as far as I'm aware you can't cancel out of, that you pretty much can't use it without some careful planning. It's about as dangerous as the Ground Takedown now; I've been fighting with my muscle memory :p. I think the Bat Swarm special move is going to be more valuable now than ever, because crowd control can be pretty tough. I haven't unlocked any gadgets or special moves beyond the Instant Takedown yet, and they're really not shy about throwing you into big group fights in the early stages of the game. I'm playing on Hard, though, so I don't know if it's different on lower difficulties.

The upgrade system is totally different now, but it's a variation on AC's theme. You unlock a lot of the moves by completing challenges now, instead of just buying them, but I've yet to see anything new for Batman's abilities. The city is still bristling with puzzles and collectibles, so it's all good on that front. I want to get stuck into the story to see all the cool stuff, but the game tells you upfront that you can unlock a bunch of fast-travel stations by clearing out and un-jamming radio towers, and that's a rabbit hole I always fall down, so that cool stuff will have to wait.

Hot damn, this post has me stoked!

Bought a key, went home (luckily, I live like 10 mins away from my job and they let me take my lunch whenever the hell I want), put in the key and started the preload process. Totally stoked. I wager with my internet speed, the download will be done around the same time that the game unlocks.

Ephemeris

Play Iceberg Lounge if you got it. Enemies don't stop. SO GOOD. SO MUCH JUSTICE DEALT!

That I do.. that I do

bth_ric-flair-woo.gif

DrTeflon

If you can Ebay a code for $30 bucks or less and I don't see why not. I mean, it's batman. Blackfriday will see a price drop for sure, too.

I decided to buy it. I dont like to buy stuff outside of steam, besides GMG and Amazon, besides it is 38 bucks on steam in brazil, not that much to be honest

Milennia

New ideas is good but it was clearly that WB Montreal will just follow the Rocksteady formula and Arkham frameworks.

Makes sense though, it is their first entry in a pretty fan appreciated series, i wouldn't stray to far off the track either the first go :p

Ephemeris

Sounds like the series is in good hands.

Hopefully they get an Infinity Ward/Treyarch thing going, though some people thought Origins was coming out a little too quickly for their tastes..

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Unlock should happen at about the same time I leave work, so, I become Batman again, once I get home. YOUWOULDNTGIVSITTOOENSORDINAIRYCITISHEN

Sounds like the series is in good hands.

Hopefully they get an Infinity Ward/Treyarch thing going, though some people thought Origins was coming out a little too quickly for their tastes..

I think two years is a decent amount of time between games. That's about the mean development time for AAA series these days, at least if you look at Treyarch and Infinity Ward separately. In any case, I think whatever Rocksteady puts out next is going to be worlds ahead of the first three titles, if it's even related.

I am in the same boat. I love me some Batman, but I have over 300 games on Steam and don't want to run the risk of being banned.

Using a VPN to unlock the game early isn't against the TOS, just using a VPN to access cheaper prices than your region actually has.

Dicear

Banned
I wouldn't mind having them rehash these gameplay mechanics every two years, I like being Batman. However, I would definitely prefer a new, more refined and different Batman game from RockSteady. If you take a look at what they are currently hiring for their next project, I expect them to put more protagonists and therefore different types of gameplay (like Catwoman in AC) in the next-gen Batmangame. Probably something to do with the Justice League, or whatever (haven't read that many Batman comics).

Played an hour and a half, shared my thoughts on the game technically over in the pc performance thread, but I'll share my thoughts on the game in general over here. So, I'm not too far in, enuogh to experience the start up to the story, the first two intro areas and I've arrived in the open city. I REALLY like this game.

The story cutscenes are very hollywood - snappy, grimdark faces from bruce, crazy epic score, but I'm really digging what they've set up. The gameplay so far is, yes, Arkham City the return but the new story, technical improvements (specifically the lighting and shadows) really really immerses you in Gotham all over again. I saw a few people call out the first boss fight as boring. While it is basic as you are still basically getting tutorialised on the moves, I did really like it. I love the year one feel to some of the goings on.

Obviously its early days, but as long as your happy with more arkham city but with new areas and a brand new batman story, I think people will be really pleased. Pure videogame fans who aren't as fussed about batman itself, and more with new innovative systems, stealth gameplay or whatever aren't going to find much here, but I think this will really be a big one for fans.

Andrew.

Banned
Played an hour and a half, shared my thoughts on the game technically over in the pc performance thread, but I'll share my thoughts on the game in general over here. So, I'm not too far in, enuogh to experience the start up to the story, the first two intro areas and I've arrived in the open city. I REALLY like this game.

The story cutscenes are very hollywood - snappy, grimdark faces from bruce, crazy epic score, but I'm really digging what they've set up. The gameplay so far is, yes, Arkham City the return but the new story, technical improvements (specifically the lighting and shadows) really really immerses you in Gotham all over again. I saw a few people call out the first boss fight as boring. While it is basic as you are still basically getting tutorialised on the moves, I did really like it. I love the year one feel to some of the goings on.

Obviously its early days, but as long as your happy with more arkham city but with new areas and a brand new batman story, I think people will be really pleased. Pure videogame fans who aren't as fussed about batman itself, and more with new innovative systems, stealth gameplay or whatever aren't going to find much here, but I think this will really be a big one for fans.

Fuck. May just have to buy this tomorrow.

UrbanRats

k, just played for three hours without even doing the first real objective (some kind of arms deal with Penguin). So far I'm loving it. The game feels very different from Rocksteady's games, both in tone and gameplay, but not in a bad way. It's obviously built on the same foundation, but just about every little thing has been tweaked slightly.

The most noticeable thing for me is the combat. It's much faster than before. I've been playing bits and pieces of AA and AC after their GFWL patches, and Origins feels like a DMC-style Turbo Mode with a 20% speed increase or something. Enemies are much more aggressive, and they move quickly enough that you really have to be ready with those Counters. In AC you could sometimes skate if you'd accidentally hit the attack button while an enemy was winding up for an attack, but in Origins you take the hit every time. It seems like Double and Triple Counters are gone, but in their place you'll have a bunch of enemies attacking you one right after the other. You can still Evade to 'reset' any attacking goons, but I've just unlocked a new ability called Critical Counters, which gives you a x2 addition to your combo meter instead of x1 if you Counter just before an attack lands. I haven't quite worked out the timing yet, but I think it's a neat idea. In AC's combat challenges I'd almost stopped Countering altogether, just because I had more control over the situation when I was somersaulting around, but this seems like a nice risk/reward thing.

The Redirected Aerial Attack has been nerfed, for lack of a better word (the one where you Cape Stun a guy, Evade over his head, then Attack in a direction in mid-air to jump off his head and land on another guy). It has such a long animation now, that as far as I'm aware you can't cancel out of, that you pretty much can't use it without some careful planning. It's about as dangerous as the Ground Takedown now; I've been fighting with my muscle memory :p. I think the Bat Swarm special move is going to be more valuable now than ever, because crowd control can be pretty tough. I haven't unlocked any gadgets or special moves beyond the Instant Takedown yet, and they're really not shy about throwing you into big group fights in the early stages of the game. I'm playing on Hard, though, so I don't know if it's different on lower difficulties.

The upgrade system is totally different now, but it's a variation on AC's theme. You unlock a lot of the moves by completing challenges now, instead of just buying them, but I've yet to see anything new for Batman's abilities. The city is still bristling with puzzles and collectibles, so it's all good on that front. I want to get stuck into the story to see all the cool stuff, but the game tells you upfront that you can unlock a bunch of fast-travel stations by clearing out and un-jamming radio towers, and that's a rabbit hole I always fall down, so that cool stuff will have to wait.

Wait what? That's terrible.

But how is the multiplayer?!

That's what everyone is interested in, right?

Hahah, I have no idea if this is a joke or not! I haven't tried the multi. I left all my friends on the 360 jumping over to pc so no one to team with and eh, it just doesn't appeal to me I guess. Co-op challenge maps would be cool though.

I guess the snarky answer is "Ask the Wii U owners?"
Haha.

Wait what? That's terrible.

Not at all. First thing I did when I started was boot up the challenge combat stuff to calibrate my settings based on lots and lots of guys on screen, and there was both double and triple takedowns, dead cert. The same animations as before, but they are there. Honestly, the fighting seems identical to me. I just spent the week worknig the AC combat challenges and playing new game plus with no counter signs, and everything seems the same to me, difficulty-wise and everything. Haven't fought the new type of enemy yet I don't think yet though.

strafer

H
Not at all. First thing I did when I started was boot up the challenge combat stuff to calibrate my settings based on lots and lots of guys on screen, and there was both double and triple takedowns, dead cert. The same animations as before, but they are there. Honestly, the fighting seems identical to me. I just spent the week worknig the AC combat challenges and playing new game plus with no counter signs, and everything seems the same to me, difficulty-wise and everything. Haven't fought the new type of enemy yet I don't think yet though.

Wait, It sets settings based on how you play?

Lonestar

But how is the multiplayer?!

That's what everyone is interested in, right?

What's crazy is, I don't think I even realized the game had multiplayer till yesterday.

Maybe I read it months ago, and forgot, but it didn't cross my mind this whole time.

Wait, It sets settings based on how you play?

Noooo, that was jsut the most important thing for me haha, no slowdown in big fights since I liked the combat stuff. So I went in to the combat mode with everything on max and jsut pared down from there (only had to drop AA). That would be epic if so.

I was going to hold off on this but decided to give the PC version a try. I hope my system can handle it.

What card have ye?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Makes sense though, it is their first entry in a pretty fan appreciated series, i wouldn't stray to far off the track either the first go :p

Yeah like Treyarch first COD, you follow the structure.

Rocksteady formula is good, WM Montreal just need a good story.

Sounds fine to me.

Here's hoping for Batman and the Justice League coming from Rocksteady. I need my Flash Freeflow combat.

most of Justice League guys are not good melee fighters.

Now Cassandra Cain on the other hand, Freeflow is made for here (she can dodge bullets and read body movements). gimme Blackbat game from Rocksteady.

I enjoyed nearly every second of Origins - aside from a few boss fights which descend into frustration territory - even if it does smack of, for lack of a better term, 'more of the same'. Batman games have come a long way from the likes of Rise of Tin Szu, an experience so bad I actively shuddered when I wrote that. If Warner Bros. Montreal's offering is what's now considered 'bad' Batman gaming then my gosh - what a world we live in…

Sound good.

look like the bad boss fights returns again (well they are the series tradition at this point)

Squishy3

Everyone knows Rocksteady is going to be making the Batman vs Superman movie tie-in game. Not Arkham Origins spoilers, FYI
The twist? It'll be better than the movie.

FStop7

Banned
Noooo, that was jsut the most important thing for me haha, no slowdown in big fights since I liked the combat stuff. So I went in to the combat mode with everything on max and jsut pared down from there (only had to drop AA). That would be epic if so.

What card have ye?

5870 1 gig

Lonestar

Yeah, I'd like to see how Rocksteady would handle Justice League characters, but most are too difficult to deal with in Videogames. Either too creative based (Green Lantern), too fast (Flash would end up being a game played in slow motion all the time), or too strong (Superman would need VOXELS. LOTS AND LOTS OF VOXELS.)

Now, expanding the Bat universe, with maybe Green Arrow or other "Human" characters, is the way to go. Year of the Bow came and went, and didn't really feature Green Arrow. Shame.

Asylum had terrible fights, and overall City had some pretty mediocre ones, but Mr. Freeze is one of my favorite boss fights of all tme.

I just did this on new game plus, where you don't just have to do, what, 5 different takedowns but THEM ALL. So satisfying haha.

5870 1 gig

Damn, I was going to say if you had a new AMD card I think you'd be okay, but AMD owners seem to be having some rough performance issues.

Yeah, I'd like to see how Rocksteady would handle Justice League characters, but most are too difficult to deal with in Videogames. Either too creative based (Green Lantern), too fast (Flash would end up being a game played in slow motion all the time), or too strong (Superman would need VOXELS. LOTS AND LOTS OF VOXELS.)

Now, expanding the Bat universe, with maybe Green Arrow or other "Human" characters, is the way to go. Year of the Bow came and went, and didn't really feature Green Arrow. Shame.

Definitely agree on the cons of the justice league in a gameplay settings. I would like to see them just really commit to the batfamily as playable characters and really play up differences between them. Batwoman, Damian, Nightwing, Talon, Red Hood, you could cherry pick and they are all human enough to not break the gameplay.

Arkham City was the cordoned off part of Old Gotham - are they reusing the bulk of that?

Imagine an entirely new map the size of the map in the last game. Then imagine a bridge, and the old map on the other side (but with some changes, like lack of flooding, winter, it's set in the past), and that's what they;'ve went for. They've tried to differentiate the two with bigger buildings and stuff too. I haven't explored nearly enough of the old map or the new map yet to say whether it was successful or justified yet.

I just did this on new game plus, where you don't just have to do, what, 5 different takedowns but THEM ALL. So satisfying haha.

Seriously. It makes you really rack your brain for all the different takedowns and skills you've amassed throughout your time with the game, or even if you're just coming off your first playthrough and you've not practiced or used some of them, to start pulling rabbits out of your hat. Great Batman experience.

Top Bottom