• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Imagine an entirely new map the size of the map in the last game. Then imagine a bridge, and the old map on the other side (but with some changes, like lack of flooding, winter, it's set in the past), and that's what they;'ve went for. They've tried to differentiate the two with bigger buildings and stuff too. I haven't explored nearly enough of the old map or the new map yet to say whether it was successful or justified yet.

That sounds good. I was just worried all of a sudden that this off-season game was just set in a reskinned snowy Arkham City, thanks to that review.

Seriously. It makes you really rack your brain for all the different takedowns and skills you've amassed throughout your time with the game, or even if you're just coming off your first playthrough and you've not practiced or used some of them, to start pulling rabbits out of your hat. Great Batman experience.

Stupid thing was
the freeze gun deactivator thing was the one that I couldn't think of and figure out at the end haha, took me awhile to click.

That sounds good. I was just worried all of a sudden that this off-season game was just set in a reskinned snowy Arkham City, thanks to that review.

Well, I've zipped around a bit and I've had a good look at the overall map but I will straight up admit that I haven't fully explored yet though. The new map seems like a big mass, but less dense, so I need to have a look and see if the extra verticality makes up for that, if the *old* map feels different enough to be satisfying etc., I don't want to give you the wrong impression.

Videogamer review - 8/10

+ Still has gaming's best combat system.

tumblr_mv3n8ly7ls1sq2xoeo1_250.gif

Agreed with everything else though.

After seeing those pictures a few pages back, I wish I had a gaming PC. My brother has one, but I wouldn't be able to play all that much, it's in his room and he uses it for the most part of the day.

UrbanRats

Not at all. First thing I did when I started was boot up the challenge combat stuff to calibrate my settings based on lots and lots of guys on screen, and there was both double and triple takedowns, dead cert. The same animations as before, but they are there. Honestly, the fighting seems identical to me. I just spent the week worknig the AC combat challenges and playing new game plus with no counter signs, and everything seems the same to me, difficulty-wise and everything. Haven't fought the new type of enemy yet I don't think yet though.

They aren't gone.

Phew, thanks for the head's up.

I cant believe that is Chris Redfield :D
And Ezio Auditore.

Ah, so, I have a legitimate question to those who purchased the game from a CDKeysDiscount, Nvidia, or another retailer that had the Deathstroke DLC advertised: is that a separate key or do you have the DLC listed under your game when you put in the Steam key?

hlhbk

Well shit my unlock time just jumped to 10 hours in Central time in the USA. :( I will not use my VPN I already pay for to unlock this....I will not use my VPN I already pay for to unlock this....I will not use my VPN I already pay for to unlock this....I will not use my VPN I already pay for to unlock this....

Man, you're good. I just saw you kick the beejesus out of 6 guys on a rooftop using all kinds of moves!

Hey buddy, thanks! I was alternating quite regularly between being the ass kicker and the ass kickee though. The combat in this has definitely changed up a bit. Enemies in general seem quicker to attack you at a much faster rate.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well shit my unlock time just jumped to 10 hours in Central time in the USA. :( I will not use my VPN I already pay for to unlock this....I will not use my VPN I already pay for to unlock this....I will not use my VPN I already pay for to unlock this....I will not use my VPN I already pay for to unlock this....

5 hours for me

Available: 25 October 2013

This game will unlock in approximately 5 hours

in 10 hours you can do a speedrun for AA and AC :p

Hehehe, I haven't checked the unlock time since I didn't have time, but I'm also CST; if it's not unlocked by the time it finishes download, VPN here I come!

Are gadgets needed for combat in this? Beside grappling away guns I never really bothered using them in free flow combat.

Whaaaa? How do you go through the game without using gadgets in freeflow? That doesn't sound very fun. :(

Nokterian

5 hours for me

in 10 hours you can do a speedrun for AA and AC :p

Yeah also 5 hours here. And tonight here in the netherlands The Dark Knight on Veronica, if dutch people are reading this. Last week also 2 Batman movies was in the week that GFWL where removed with AA and AC.

Are gadgets needed for combat in this? Beside grappling away guns I never really bothered using them in free flow combat.

Well, I doubt you'll need to, they aren't necessary to takedown any specific enemies down for example. They are fun though. I usually leave off them in the combat challenges since it's kind of easier to fuck up with them than not, but they are good fun in campaign. Grapple hook is good to disarm guards, REC gun will fizzle out a radio guard's pack etc.

Ahasverus

I'm playing it right now.. too much clipping :( And bad camere angles. Lacks like 3 months more of development. I'm 10 minutes in lol
Combat is indeed better than Arkham City though.

MarkV

If I buy it from Greenmangaming will i get my key today/tomorrow or on 8th of November like some other digital stores?

I'm playing it right now.. too much clipping :( And bad camere angles. Lacks like 3 months more of development. I'm 10 minutes in lol
Combat is indeed better than Arkham City though.

What version is that? I can't relate at all man, I thought the opening was really cool. and having play a decent bit, I think the combat is effectively the exact same haha!

Dicear

Banned
Ah, so, I have a legitimate question to those who purchased the game from a CDKeysDiscount, Nvidia, or another retailer that had the Deathstroke DLC advertised: is that a separate key or do you have the DLC listed under your game when you put in the Steam key?

Nope, it's a all-in-one key. From what I've seen so far, is that the Deathstroke DLC is a pre-order bonus for every retailer/website. My key is from CDKeysdiscount, and I didn't have any problems activating it on steam, or unlocking it early using the TunnelBear Japan VPN.
From what I have played so far, the game looks good graphically, but it definitely lacks a bit of optimization for AMD GPU's.. Running the game with i5 4670k and HD7950 3 GB, I should get a steady 60 fps without PhysX and MSAA, but I don't unfortunately. With Vsync the framerate is good enough most of the time (even when travelling in the open world) but I experience some slight stutter at times when you progress into the game (new stuff/sequences loading, animations), and during in-game cinematics.
Also, the CG movies look like crap. Really bad. There is even aliasing, lol. Why they didn't at least render that shit in 1080p is beyond me. A shame. All of it doesn't bother me that much, but it is definitely something they could and should have fixed in the PC port. But I think Nvidia-gamers will have a better experience at this moment. AMD will probably release new drivers for this game anyway.

Ahasverus

What version is that? I can't relate at all man, I thought the opening was really cool. and having play a decent bit, I think the combat is effectively the exact same haha!

360! In the rocksteady game I never saw batman's cape clipping. Also, you can walk through Alfred. lol
But in a pure gameplay perspective is great. A better opening than Arkham City.

Slixshot

Banned
Nope, it's a all-in-one key. From what I've seen so far, is that the Deathstroke DLC is a pre-order bonus for every retailer/website. My key is from CDKeysdiscount, and I didn't have any problems activating it on steam, or unlocking it early using the TunnelBear Japan VPN.
From what I have played so far, the game looks good graphically, but it definitely lacks a bit of optimization for AMD GPU's.. Running the game with i5 4670k and HD7950 3 GB, I should get a steady 60 fps without PhysX and MSAA, but I don't unfortunately. With Vsync the framerate is good enough most of the time (even when travelling in the open world) but I experience some slight stutter at times when you progress into the game (new stuff/sequences loading, animations), and during in-game cinematics.
Also, the CG movies look like crap. Really bad. There is even aliasing, lol. Why they didn't at least render that shit in 1080p is beyond me. A shame. All of it doesn't bother me that much, but it is definitely something they could and should have fixed in the PC port. But I think Nvidia-gamers will have a better experience at this moment. AMD will probably release new drivers for this game anyway.

Seems like issues that can be solved with a patch. Hopefully they do!

Damian.

Banned
What is the easiest VPN method and can I use Steam online after unlocking the game? Would really like to dive into this game tonight while the future wife watches TV.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
My amazon order on the CE got fucking pushed back and no they're saying I won't get it until Tuesday. :(

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AWESOME:
After 4 hours I gave this game a 8.5/10
Now it's a 9.5/10
The story is great. Much better than AA or AC. It's not complex but it's well executed

edit: A bit disappointing that after the great level at 56%...the story progression now is at 90 %. Yeah it was a long mission but...hmm...:/

Thanks for the impressions so far. Since you're far into the game now, could you give us an update on the technical hiccups, i.e. tearing, framerate drops and the like? Tearing is a pet peeve of mine and hearing that it's worse than in B:AC diminished my excitement for Origins significantly. In B:AC it was tolerable since it didn't occur that often and only at the top of the screen during gliding, making it hard to notice unless you were explicitly looking for it. Can you tell me how you feel about these things at this point of the game? Btw, it would help to know how sensible you are to them in general.

Could you also give some impressions about the side content without spoiling anything storywise? For example, i know there's an equivalent to riddler trophies, but do you obtain them the same way as in AC, by having to think about how to use your skills and gadgets to get them, or is it more like in AA, where it was mostly just a question of having the right gadget for the job? Also, i think it was you who mentioned that it seems like there are no scanning riddles anymore. Did that turn out to be true, or did you just not come across any of them early on?

SJRB

Gold Member
1.5 hours into the game. The intro is awesome, it got me HYPED. The city itself is pretty massive. The Arkham City segment is barely recognizable, they really didn't just copy-paste the entire segment. It's not really as "christmassy" as I was expecting, it's a very colorless place. And it's kind of empty. A city as big as this without pedestrians and traffic just feels wrong. I know the narrative reason why there isn't any and I know the devs were dealing with current gen hardware restrictions, but still.
I also love how brutal Batman is, and how everyone is freaking scared of him. It feels really cool.

I'm kind of struggling with the audio, there seems something wrong with the stereo effect [or better - lack thereof]. Graphic performance is.. well okay I guess. Sometimes some agressive texture load-in [Unreal engine trademark I guess] and some severe stuttering during certain gameplay - cutscene - gameplay segments where my PS3 was clearly struggling to keep up. Overall gliding through the city is okay, but let's be honest here - the only reason the interconnecting bridge is this insanely long is to hide load times.

I'm right before the end and yes, this is the best game in the arkham-series (imo). great bossfights and many highlights in the second part (>50 %). And it's a longer game than Arkham City.

Top Bottom