• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Thanks for the impressions so far. Since you're far into the game now, could you give us an update on the technical hiccups, i.e. tearing, framerate drops and the like? Tearing is a pet peeve of mine and hearing that it's worse than in B:AC diminished my excitement for Origins significantly. In B:AC it was tolerable since it didn't occur that often and only at the top of the screen during gliding, making it hard to notice unless you were explicitly looking for it. Can you tell me how you feel about these things at this point of the game? Btw, it would help to know how sensible you are to them in general.

Could you also give some impressions about the side content without spoiling anything storywise? For example, i know there's an equivalent to riddler trophies, but do you obtain them the same way as in AC, by having to think about how to use your skills and gadgets to get them, or is it more like in AA, where it was mostly just a question of having the right gadget for the job? Also, i think it was you who mentioned that it seems like there are no scanning riddles anymore. Did that turn out to be true, or did you just not come across any of them early on?

Sry, I'll have to give you a quick answer because I'm right before the end now ^^

Framerate is worse than AC (Ps3) but it's not gamebreaking at all. I'm not very sensible to them because as long as the game is great I couldn't care less about a lower framerate (The last of us says hello ^^)
There's enough side content to be found in this game. I can't say more because I would have to spoil characters :/ Some of the are comparable to Arkham City's side missions, and one of them is similar to
scarecrows level from AA
In terms of collectibles: It's more like AA where you have to use the right gadget. And yes, no scanning riddles this time :(

Okay, story finished.
My ranking:

1. Arkham Origins
2. Arkham City
3. Arkham Asylum

What a ride. Best story of all three games, best cutscenes and best acting.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Okay, story finished.
My ranking:

1. Arkham Origins
2. Arkham City
3. Arkham Asylum

What a ride. Best story of all three games, best cutscenes and best acting.

GTFO, seriously you telling me Craig and Baker do a better job than Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill?

justjim89

Fucking hell, the timer did get moved back. I don't wanna fuck with my location settings and risk all my games and what not, but the fact that there are people on here 5 or 6 hours in and I can't even fucking unlock it is frustrating.

Damn it, back to Blacklist it is, then.

Korezo

Just bought the game off ebay for $25, game is cheap there since people are selling their free codes that came with gpus. Hope this game doesn't have performance problems like AC.

Oppo

Anyone in the know, can you tell me how this might run Boot Camp'd on my 2011 iMac? (1GB VRAM, ATI 6850 or somesuch, quad core i5)

Trying to decide if I should get it on Steam or just PS3. Last 2 I did PS3.

Fucking hell, the timer did get moved back. I don't wanna fuck with my location settings and risk all my games and what not, but the fact that there are people on here 5 or 6 hours in and I can't even fucking unlock it is frustrating.

Damn it, back to Blacklist it is, then.

I've never had a problem with using VPN to unlock games ahead of time. Just stay offline until it releases and you'll be fine.

Eusis

Conroy totally phoned it in with Arkham City, come on. He sounded like he didn't give a fuck no matter what was going on.
I thought he sounded more like that in the DLC or by the end of the game, but by then one WOULD be very heavily drained.

And Troy Baker's clearly a very good VA, he's getting kind of overused nowadays but he also mixes up his performances.

Challenge maps? Please? How many? :D

I still haven't unlocked all of them but there are twelve "boxes" for each mode (24 in total)

GTFO, seriously you telling me Craig and Baker do a better job than Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill?

I don't know, I played the game with german voices because they used the voices of the Nolan-Batmans ^^ (Bale, Caine,Hardy etc)

Wow i'm really excited now.

How many hours did it take you to get through the story? Did you rush through or do side stuff?

I've done maybe two or three side missions. About 12-13 hours of playtime, so yeah Story is longer than AC (maybe 10-11 hours)

Already finished.

Hoyl shit. What did you clock?

Only story: 10-11 hours :p

Sn4ke_911

I don't know, I played the game with german voices because they used the voices of the Nolan-Batmans ^^ (Bale, Caine,Hardy etc)

The hell? :lol
oh wow i couldn't do that, german VA's are always decent at best, but most the time beyond terrible.

Sry, I'll have to give you a quick answer because I'm right before the end now ^^

Framerate is worse than AC (Ps3) but it's not gamebreaking at all. I'm not very sensible to them because as long as the game is great I couldn't care less about a lower framerate (The last of us says hello ^^)
There's enough side content to be found in this game. I can't say more because I would have to spoil characters :/ Some of the are comparable to Arkham City's side missions, and one of them is similar to
scarecrows level from AA
In terms of collectibles: It's more like AA where you have to use the right gadget. And yes, no scanning riddles this time :(

Appreciated!

I'm not too sensitive about framerates either, unless they're really, really bad, it's just tearing that grinds my gears.

Shame about the collectibles, i thought how they were done in AC was a great improvement over AA and i really enjoyed figuring out how to get to some of them.

Kabuto

I'm still catching up on the thread but the NA release date on Steam got corrected. It's now at 9pm PST not 3pm. 8 more hours to wait is gonna suck; game sounds awesome from all the impressions you guys have.

Are there any non-spoiler impressions of the boss fights? I just want to know if they're more memorable than the ones from the first 2 games.

funo

The hell? :lol
oh wow i couldn't do that, german VA's are always decent at best, but most the time beyond terrible.

dat standard random and unwarranted hyperbole :)
it's one of those self fulfilling prophecies - for you, the german dubbing will be bad because you expect and want it to be bad

give this one a try, you'll like it!

zainetor

Banned
Loved the AC opening; Bruce getting incarcerated, fighting his way out, scaling a building and calling in the Batwing to drop his equipment in. First time I played it, I immediately wanted to replay it.

Hoping my Steam copy is unlocked when I get home!

I agree with him. origins intro is definitely one of the best batman related stuff i've ever seen.
The score, the atmosphere, my god...It trashes asylum's and city's openings.

damn it, i must be playing this wrong, my shitty reflexes have a hard enough keeping a combo going without using gadgets :3

I don't mind gadgets but i have a hard time using them while keeping the combo. The only one i really messed with is the ice bomb one in AC.

Sn4ke_911

dat standard random and unwarranted hyperbole :)
it's one of those self fulfilling prophecies - for you, the german dubbing will be bad because you expect and want it to be bad

give this one a try, you'll like it!

Maybe after i've finished the game in english, but there is no way in hell i would take the ger voices over the eng ones. Especially not when Troy Baker is so damn good as the Joker.

erawsd

Just started, pretty good so far.

One change I'm not fond of is that the very satisfying sound that use to accompany a finish blow has been muted.

Sober

The Redirected Aerial Attack has been nerfed, for lack of a better word (the one where you Cape Stun a guy, Evade over his head, then Attack in a direction in mid-air to jump off his head and land on another guy). It has such a long animation now, that as far as I'm aware you can't cancel out of, that you pretty much can't use it without some careful planning. It's about as dangerous as the Ground Takedown now; I've been fighting with my muscle memory :p. I think the Bat Swarm special move is going to be more valuable now than ever, because crowd control can be pretty tough. I haven't unlocked any gadgets or special moves beyond the Instant Takedown yet, and they're really not shy about throwing you into big group fights in the early stages of the game. I'm playing on Hard, though, so I don't know if it's different on lower difficulties.
Sorry, 2 pages back back kinda anal about why you thought it was slow or made you vulnerable: In AC, a lot of the special moves designed for specific enemy types (except the beatdown and some stuff even mid-titan/Abromovic attacks) always gave you invincibility frames against them. If you aerial attack a non-shielded guy in a crowded fight, you run the risk of being attacked mid-attack unless you spot it and do the redirect.

I can see why they might slow it down a bit to avoid it becoming a quick distance closer, but to be fair dodges over an enemy always keep your combo alive even if you dodge 200 times without attacking inbetween.

vpn unlock isn't worth it. risk of having your steam account banned to play a game a few hours earlier?

And vpn lock is just what it sounds like. Connect to a vpn to another timezone, trick steam to thing its midnight already, boom you can play the game early.

The combat feels jankier to me. There are a lot of places where I'm losing combos for no reason (usually upon performing a long-range cape stun). The animations feel slower, especially the cape stun and canned animations for takedowns and beatdowns and such. They sped up the enemies on hard difficulty so if you attack a guy who is attacking you, about 80% of the time he is faster than you and you get hit. Enemies are much more aggressive and attack in chains more, which encourages dick cheesy constant dodge rolling rather than trying to counter and strike out of a bad position.

There have also been a lot more stupid bullshit fuckups in the predator sections. Walk up behind a guy, try to do a takedown, instead I do the counter animation and the guy notices me. Happened time and time again. Same thing tends to happen on stairs and when attempting to perform ground takedowns. I've also had numerous enemies respawn. Going onto
Penguin's ship
I took out both snipers, first thing, then they came right back up within about a minute. What the fuck is that?

Overall, after having replayed Arkham City just this last week, it feels like a regression back to some of the combat jankiness that plagued Asylum but was almost entirely fixed in City. Unfortunate.

smr00

Banned
vpn unlock isn't worth it. risk of having your steam account banned to play a game a few hours earlier?

And vpn lock is just what it sounds like. Connect to a vpn to another timezone, trick steam to thing its midnight already, boom you can play the game early.
If you do it offline how can they find out? Or do you have to be connected?

Top Bottom