• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

/sigh. I am still so pissed they pushed back the unlock time in central time....

I'm central time, been playing all day. Join us. It's easy.

vpn unlock isn't worth it. risk of having your steam account banned to play a game a few hours earlier?

And vpn lock is just what it sounds like. Connect to a vpn to another timezone, trick steam to thing its midnight already, boom you can play the game early.

Valve is absolutely not going to ban accounts for this. I've done it on games before, including on Origin. No problems.

Eusis

/sigh. I am still so pissed they pushed back the unlock time in central time....
I knew we shouldn't have been talking about it!

Well, they may've caught it anyway, but still. At least it's set for Eastern midnight rather than Pacific.

hlhbk

I'm central time, been playing all day. Join us. It's easy.

Valve is absolutely not going to ban accounts for this. I've done it on games before, including on Origin. No problems.

I am not willing to take the chance of being banned considering how many games I have tied to my Steam account.

I've either found a glitch, or I'm missing something super obvious. After completing a side mission, I get locked in a room. The only thing in the small room I can do is pull a vent cover near the ceiling, when I do, I still can't get into the vent. He just hangs there, refusing to climb in. Tried to throw a remote batarang in, nothing there for it. Done it twice now.

Not really spoilers, but I'll mark it anyway.
It's the comms tower in Burnley. Can't get out of it.

I like that some of the sidemissions let you revist old locations from Arkham City. It's only one room for the most time but it's a cool idea.

How are the cutscenes? Are there like matrix slowmotion stuff going on?

Cutscenes are great, better than the previous games. No slowmotion stuff except for....nope...I won't say that ^^

Unai

Dammit, now I can`t play it today since the Steam version is no longer been released at time it said yesterday..

zainetor

Banned
Funny how[
B]they're going to execute calendar man, in the opening of the game, but for whatever reason, they leave all other psychos alive in the later years[/B]

I've either found a glitch, or I'm missing something super obvious. After completing a side mission, I get locked in a room. The only thing in the small room I can do is pull a vent cover near the ceiling, when I do, I still can't get into the vent. He just hangs there, refusing to climb in. Tried to throw a remote batarang in, nothing there for it. Done it twice now.

Not really spoilers, but I'll mark it anyway.
It's the comms tower in Burnley. Can't get out of it.

hmm I just checked it and yeah, it's the only way out. You have to pull the vent cover and press "R1"/"RB" to climb.

strafer

My god, Talia's voice actress is so fine.

Yes

COx6mRB.jpg

rmanthorp

Played for about 4 hours tonight. It's pretty great! I get a mix of City and Asylum which means I think I like it more than City so far! :O It's really grabbing me in ways I didn't expect it too and I can't wait to play more later.

Game runs fine on 360, No where near as bad as pre-release footage looked.

Man, super surprised that WBM reach the mark of Rocksteady. Huge pat on the back for them.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sheesh the new Gotham area is pretty amazing. The verticality of it all blows my mind, so many layers.

Are the crime events that randomly pop up now and then endless or are they limited like the political prisoner stuff in Arkham City? I love observing two groups of thugs doing an arms deal and just as they're about to close the deal swoop down and beat the shit out of everyone.

There's so much rage going on with Batman, it's awesome.

Sober

Sheesh the new Gotham area is pretty amazing. The verticality of it all blows my mind, so many layers.

Are the crime events that randomly pop up now and then endless or are they limited like the political prisoner stuff in Arkham City? I love observing two groups of thugs doing an arms deal and just as they're about to close the deal swoop down and beat the shit out of everyone.

There's so much rage going on with Batman, it's awesome.
Next gen Arkham game needs all of Gotham, and be able to just turn off the story ala GTA4 did and you can just go patrol on thugs in alleys or maybe the occasional bigger crime. Also different weather. Or if you want to play Wayne during the day in free roam goddamn it.

I want to know more about this as well.

A VPN will allow you to route your internet through another country's hub, thus fooling programs like Steam. You sign up for a VPN (I use Private Internet Access, but there are many cheap 1 or 2 day services that will cost you around $3), then you close Steam and start the VPN client. Once it's started, restart Steam and activate the game. Start it once, the put steam in offline mode. Then close Steam. Quit the VPN client, then restart Steam. It will try to make you get out of Offline mode, but do not fall for it... it's a trick. Play the game to your heart's desire, then reset Steam in the morning when it's legal.

I doubt Steam has any interest in punishing the computer literate for gaming the timing system. It's the people who take advantage of regional pricing they're going after.

justjim89

A VPN will allow you to route your internet through another country's hub, thus fooling programs like Steam. You sign up for a VPN (I use Private Internet Access, but there are many cheap 1 or 2 day services that will cost you around $3), then you close Steam and start the VPN client. Once it's started, restart Steam and activate the game. Start it once, the put steam in offline mode. Then close Steam. Quit the VPN client, then restart Steam. It will try to make you get out of Offline mode, but do not fall for it... it's a trick. Play the game to your heart's desire, then reset Steam in the morning when it's legal.

I doubt Steam has any interest in punishing the computer literate for gaming the timing system. It's the people who take advantage of regional pricing they're going after.

Oh, it has to be offline mode? I won't bother. I hate how in offline mode, my hours don't get tracked and achievements often don't register properly.

Just use TunnelBear. It's super simple, free, and takes about 2 minutes to set up. Route yourself through Japan.

hlhbk

The risk is so not worth it.

Is there a button to quickfire the remote multiclaw thing? It looks super cool but every time my friend goes to fire it it takes forever.

Played a few hours today, don't want to beat it all in one sitting.

Ok, I'm a fan of AC/AA, liked AA, liked AC more than AA.

-> The music is fantastic
-> The graphic/art assets are fantastic. Even AC looks fresh with the new assets they put in it. The dx11 features are great, I usually sit at 50-60 fps with everything on except physx. Core i5 and HD 7950. Honestly surprised this game isn't being put out on PS4...
->The animations are fresh, they aren't copy pasted from aa/ac. There are ones that look similar like pulling grates off the wall (he has a scowl on his face when he does it) or when you right trigger + y finish someone (he does two fists instead of one).
->The intro is fantastic. I haven't made it to the second boss fight yet, but I enjoy doing Crimes in Progress and I really want to knock out the collectibles.
->Deathstroke is pretty awesome, I hope they work him into a dlc. I didn't beat the 100 man challenge (no upgrades yet), got to 60/100. He has regenerating health and it seems he can take more hits than batman. He also pulls grates off the wall. I didn't play red robin in AC, so I don't know how similar the animations are to him. His animations and moveset does feel like it fits him well. My only disappointment is that he doesn't use his sword (instead uses his staff).

Please understand, this game isn't a cash in. Its a sincere effort from WB Montreal and its pretty awesome. If this came out before AC did it would have recieved the same reception. However I haven't played more than 2-3 hours so far, these are my initial impressions. Maybe the game falls apart and is unfinished toward the end, but I'm doubting it.

No multiplayer impressions yet, saving that for when I beat the game.

Kvik

So, are they any Advanced VR Training missions or equivalent? And are they are still a pain to complete? I never 100%-ed AC because of it :-\

Played a few hours today, don't want to beat it all in one sitting.

Ok, I'm a fan of AC/AA, liked AA, liked AC more than AA.

-> The music is fantastic
-> The graphic/art assets are fantastic. Even AC looks fresh with the new assets they put in it. The dx11 features are great, I usually sit at 50-60 fps with everything on except physx. Core i5 and HD 7950. Honestly surprised this game isn't being put out on PS4...
->The animations are fresh, they aren't copy pasted from aa/ac. There are ones that look similar like pulling grates off the wall (he has a scowl on his face when he does it) or when you right trigger + y finish someone (he does two fists instead of one).
->The intro is fantastic. I haven't made it to the second boss fight yet, but I enjoy doing Crimes in Progress and I really want to knock out the collectibles.
->Deathstroke is pretty awesome, I hope they work him into a dlc. I didn't beat the 100 man challenge (no upgrades yet), got to 60/100. He has regenerating health and it seems he can take more hits than batman. He also pulls grates off the wall. I didn't play red robin in AC, so I don't know how similar the animations are to him. His animations and moveset does feel like it fits him well. My only disappointment is that he doesn't use his sword (instead uses his staff).

Please understand, this game isn't a cash in. Its a sincere effort from WB Montreal and its pretty awesome. If this came out before AC did it would have recieved the same reception. However I haven't played more than 2-3 hours so far, these are my initial impressions. Maybe the game falls apart and is unfinished toward the end, but I'm doubting it.

No multiplayer impressions yet, saving that for when I beat the game.

No, it get's better. A LOT.

edit: Patch 1.01 available for Ps3 version now. Just noticed it.

Joei

Okay, story finished.
My ranking:

1. Arkham Origins
2. Arkham City
3. Arkham Asylum

What a ride. Best story of all three games, best cutscenes and best acting.

You're killing me man. I'm playing through 2 other games already. I was going to hold of for a few weeks, but now, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Ephemeris

A better opening than Arkham City.

No way. No Way.

I like the Origins intro as well. It's straight BUSINESS TIME.

But that AC intro? God tier.

Kidnapped.
Escape + Capture.
Seeing deadshot, ryder, azreal.
trolling penguin as Bruce.
Suit up.
City in front of you.

Okay, story finished.
My ranking:

1. Arkham Origins
2. Arkham City
3. Arkham Asylum

What a ride. Best story of all three games, best cutscenes and best acting.

Wow, didn't expect this at all. Guess the new writing team gave the storytelling the shot in the arm it needed.

Can you go into detail about what makes this the best story of the three without too many spoilers?

Slowdive

Banned
Played it for about two hours so far and I'm really liking it, feels like a good mix of Asylum and City. I like how big the city is, I wasn't really keeping up to date on this game so I didn't know until the other day just how much bigger the map was compared to AC.

Ephemeris

For Origins to be better than City means it's GOTY easy.

I'd usually add on "in my opinion" but I speak straight #BATFACTS.

Hixx

My Steam is doing something to Batman - fully pre-loaded but it's 'working' on it. Presume it's decrypting or whatever now?

Wow, didn't expect this at all. Guess the new writing team gave the storytelling the shot in the arm it needed.

Can you go into detail about what makes this the best story of the three without too many spoilers?

Well, it's not a mess :p
It's more straightforward than AC and after the slow start (< 40%) it's hard to stop playing because you really want to know what happens next. It's hard to describe without spoilers but after the "twist" the game turns into an awesome experience.
Suddenly there are more (long) indoor levels and it feels more like the first game (AA).
To put it simply: The first 50 % of the game is typical AC gameplay, the second half is more like AA (imo).

Yea there's a lot to love here. Shame that some people will never play it thinking it's a cash grab. It's a fantastic entry in the series. I'm loving my time with it right now.

Top Bottom