• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Ahasverus

Yeah acting is better here and the forensic aspect of bats is more prominent which is awesome. And how this game got a T rating is beyond me.

It's so cool that you can enter new locations during the side missions. Even if it's only one room most of the time.
I'm fighting in (Location spoiler)
a night club
at the moment :)

edit: I failed, it's more than one room ^^

Just to note, I unlocked mine via VPN and am dead happy to find that the Nvidia key I've used also has the Deathstroke DLC included. Not sure how, guess its just considered 1 pre-order package.

Well, it's not a mess :p
It's more straightforward than AC and after the slow start (< 40%) it's hard to stop playing because you really want to know what happens next. It's hard to describe without spoilers but after the "twist" the game turns into an awesome experience.
Suddenly there are more (long) indoor levels and it feels more like the first game (AA).
To put it simply: The first 50 % of the game is typical AC gameplay, the second half is more like AA (imo).

Thanks.

Damn, that sounds amazing. Didn't expect this to offer the best of both previous games. WB Montreal really seem to have knocked it out of the park.

Fifty

All this talk about PC unlock times has me frustrated that PS3 digital launches in North America always take place on Pacific time. Us East Coasters can't just stay up till Midnight to start downloading, we've got to stay up till 3am..it's crazy!

Eusis

All this talk about PC unlock times has me frustrated that PS3 digital launches in North America always take place on Pacific time. Us East Coasters can't just stay up till Midnight to start downloading, we've got to stay up till 3am..it's crazy!
Yeah, they really should just go with East Coast time so we can coast off of you guys so that people on the East Coast can start at a sign time and everyone else a little bit saner. Nevermind that it kind of balances out the inevitable leaked copies, sorta.

Ahasverus

In what terms? Technically? Recordings? Voice Acting?
Voce acting is good of course but,I don't kn the term, the spacing of sound effects sounds amazing, It's like they nailed what and when should be heard to give atmosphere or feedback. And it's not a secret I'm in love with the soundtrack since the first time.

neoism

anyone from USA using a VPN did you get this first...
i4Ui8dJ3oukis.png

OMG its downloading sooo slowly.. :*(

Also from what I've seen so far, the new batman voice is pretty good but he has a tendency to read his lines flat like Conroy does sometimes. No idea how you could say the voice acting is better than asylum or city, it sounds pretty much the same.

haikira

Glad to see the positive impressions. I have mine installed and ready to go and once I watch the new Modern Family, I'll be jumping in.

I was pretty down on the game, as a big fan of the original cast and also as someone who's normally not crazy about prequels. But I've had a rush of hype for this the past few days and I liked the Nvidia presentation showing. Also, based on what I've heard, the new cast seem to be doing a commendable job filling the roles.

zainetor

Banned
Definitely not, Arkham games got the best combat in an action game period. I do fantasize about a DMC/Bayonetta-type game using Arkham's combat system though, now that would be bad-ass to me.

they got the best combat system among the mainstram games, but they dont even come close to stuff like bayonetta.

Kabuto

so after using the VPN to unlock the game I can turn it off and just play normally right?

halfway done with the unpackaging and it's been like ten minutes x_x

Dave1988

Demon/Dark Souls? /ducks

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are closer to action RPGs rather than character action games (Bayo, DMC, NG, MGR, etc.). Their approach to combat is just too different to lump them in the same category.

Same way I view the Batman games. They have a great combat system for the ganres they reside in (AA: Metroidvania, AC: Open world) but they just don't hold a candle to the aforementioned greats of the character action ganre. I love the combat in the Bats games as it looks so elegantly and flows so well but saying that they are the best in the biz in terms of the combat systems is more than just stretching it.

Dmax3901

Any fancy people able to provide a FoV tweak?

EDIT: Nvm think I found it: C:\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Origins\SinglePlayer\BMGame\Config\BmEngine.ini

Then search for FoV.

they got the best combat system among the mainstram games, but they dont even come close to stuff like bayonetta.

Yup, Arkham's combat is superior to most mainstream titles but the depth and sandbox-feel of Bayo/DMC blow it out of the water.

I don't think I'd want Bayo/DMC's stylized combat system in an Arkham game though, the combat for this series is pretty much spot on for a Batman-type game.

Hypron

Yup, Arkham's combat is superior to most mainstream titles but the depth and sandbox-feel of Bayo/DMC blow it out of the water.

I don't think I'd want Bayo/DMC's stylized combat system in an Arkham game though, the combat for this series is pretty much spot on for a Batman-type game.

Yeah. The combat doesn't have as much depth as traditional character action games but it's just perfect for the game: you feel like the goddamn Batman when you get a good combo string going.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think a major reason the Arkham combat system is so good is because it fits the character so well. Don't get me wrong, it's a really great combat system regardless of which game could have it, but it really fits Batman in particular.

Also, pre-ordered Origins but I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I don't do midnight releases normally, even though I really want to for this one. :/

kodecraft

I think a major reason the Arkham combat system is so good is because it fits the character so well. Don't get me wrong, it's a really great combat system regardless of which game could have it, but it really fits Batman in particular.

Also, pre-ordered Origins but I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I don't do midnight releases normally, even though I really want to for this one. :/

I agree, but I think it really could fit any super-hero who uses martial arts. It would definitely suit Spider-Man.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I agree, but I think it really could fit any super-hero who uses martial arts. It would definitely suit Spider-man.

I would agree that the combat system could definitely fit Spider-Man - just make the animations more nimble and have Spider-Man type takedowns over Batman ones and you would have a combat system perfect for it. Unfortunately, unless Rocksteady (or a company connected to Rocksteady like WB Montreal) did it, any superhero game that implemented a similar combat system would be seen as a cheap knock-off.

Disney/Marvel really need to try to get better super-hero video games. WB/DC does as well, but at least they have the Arkham games, which are by far one of the best licensed games ever.

I figured out what it feels like with the enemies being faster and more aggressive: it feels like Assassin's Creed. It's just a constant cavalcade of attacks from enemies and if you just stand there and dodge roll and counter it's easier to maintain a combo than if you actually punch dudes/use gadgets.

kodecraft

I would agree that the combat system could definitely fit Spider-Man - just make the animations more nimble and have Spider-Man type takedowns over Batman ones and you would have a combat system perfect for it. Unfortunately, unless Rocksteady (or a company connected to Rocksteady like WB Montreal) did it, any superhero game that implemented a similar combat system would be seen as a cheap knock-off.

Disney/Marvel really need to try to get better super-hero video games. WB/DC does as well, but at least they have the Arkham games, which are by far one of the best licensed games ever.

Definitely.

Top Bottom