• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

tumblr_mv3n8ly7ls1sq2xoeo1_250.gif

Agreed with everything else though.

tumblr_ms8871BzwW1szspk7o1_400.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think I've hit a bug early in the game at 7% completion:

I was triangulating Penguin's position, tracked him to the boat, then died. It restarted me, giving me 3 objectives - find penguin, find the second tracking device, and gain entry to the boat. However, I have no objective waypoint on the map. I tried restarting the game and going back to the batcave then back out, and I still have no objective waypoint. I wonder if it's because I used a proxy to unlock and am playing in offline mode

Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Now I have zero health whenever I restart the game. I think this is a copy protection issue that kicked in because I'm playing in offline mode. Going to wait until midnight and try again. I guess they're punishing proxy unlockers...

Eusis

Definitely not, Arkham games got the best combat in an action game period. I do fantasize about a DMC/Bayonetta-type game using Arkham's combat system though, now that would be bad-ass to me.
I think they're mostly different flavors, and while I can't argue for preferring one of the other it's like... I dunno, saying you wished 3D Mario games had PoP: Sands of Time-esque platforming: both are fantastic at what they do but it's very different.

Though I guess something like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls better represents the distance, but still. And I do have to agree that for many superheroes Arkham combat would definitely be best.
Just curious, how much time until this unlocks for the US on Steam?
In addition to what was said it's basically a midnight Eastern time release, so 9PM-12AM depending on where you live.

I figured out what it feels like with the enemies being faster and more aggressive: it feels like Assassin's Creed. It's just a constant cavalcade of attacks from enemies and if you just stand there and dodge roll and counter it's easier to maintain a combo than if you actually punch dudes/use gadgets.

I hope you're talking about just maintaining a combo and not talking about how fucking awful Ass Creed is where you can just press the counter button and call it a day, while in previous Arkham games and Sleeping Dogs pressing the counter never defeated enemies outright.

JohngPR

I think I've hit a bug early in the game at 7% completion:

I was triangulating Penguin's position, tracked him to the boat, then died. It restarted me, giving me 3 objectives - find penguin, find the second tracking device, and gain entry to the boat. However, I have no objective waypoint on the map. I tried restarting the game and going back to the batcave then back out, and I still have no objective waypoint. I wonder if it's because I used a proxy to unlock and am playing in offline mode

EDIT: Now I have zero health. I think this is a copy protection issue that kicked in because I'm playing in offline mode. Going to wait until midnight and try again.

I unlocked using VPN and am past that part, so I don't know if that's the reason. Did you try
going to the boat? There should be snipers and other guards on the boat.

The graphics options are the same as Akrham City basically. Anti-aliasing's options are MSAA2-8x, FXAA low/high, Geforce TXAA low/high and there's DX11 options for geometry detail (tesslation?), dynamic shadows, depth of field and AO.

http://snag.gy/cv8RQ.jpg
Sweet, hopefully this runs as well as Arkham City in DX9. Hopefully SGSSAA works right off the bat as well.

Just to confirm the game seems well optimized on PC. I'm getting 35-45 FPS with everything maxed out including DX11 and PhysX on an aging 560Ti, which is insane to me. The smoke effects are also insanely awesome.
How well does it run in DX9? I'd rather turn off all the DX11 bells and whistles to get some sweet sweet SGSSAA. A 560 ti runs Arkham City in 1080p, everything maxed except for DX11 stuff, PhysX Normal and 2x SGSSAA at 50-60fps.

Kabuto

I just played the first hour or so of the game and...

it's great!

The game does feel like it has a darker tone and I like it.

Even though I feel like the sounds when you hit enemies in combat doesn't feel as satisfying as Arkham City, it still plays just as great.

The size of the map threw me off at first since I couldn't find the next mission until I moved the cursor up to the second island haha; tt's huge.

Gonna take a little break right now, but so far this game is just as good as the two previous games.

The new Killer Croc design is cool too. I hope he comes back since he was literally beaten in like the first 15 minutes of the game.

I hope you're talking about just maintaining a combo and not talking about how fucking awful Ass Creed is where you can just press the counter button and call it a day, while in previous Arkham games and Sleeping Dogs pressing the counter never defeated enemies outright.

What I'm saying is that they've altered the combat in such a way that you can not only maintain your combo purely on countering against a group of ~5+ enemies, but that countering is often a better way to maintain your combo because enemy attacks hit so much faster now (on hard difficulty at least) that you are extremely likely to get hit when trying to be aggressive.

The only problem comes when you start getting shield guys in the mix. Eventually you have to drop a takedown on them.

Eusis

Oh, question based on those early shows: is there actually a toggle for Playstation buttons, or is this just yet another game demo'd on PC but with PS buttons? I'd kind of like to use the DS3 for this rather than the 360 controller, and FFXIV shows that either it's a real possibility or SE just worked out a deal with Sony to be allowed to do that.

Fifty

I just hope the game has some set pieces on the scale of the Demon Trials in Arkham City. I really liked the unique atmosphere that had. There's only so many times you can clear out X villain's thugs from building Y without it getting stale.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I unlocked using VPN and am past that part, so I don't know if that's the reason. Did you try
going to the boat? There should be snipers and other guards on the boat.

Yes, I did. And I
took them all out silently, the game saved, and then it gave me a waypoint to go back to the last laptop I used to triangulate. I went back, and I couldn't interact with the laptop. I shut the game down and reloaded, and now there is no objective waypoint at all. Maybe it's just a really bad bug?

I have to say WB is becoming a major player in games. Walking Dead, Injustice, Arkham all have been fantastic games.

edit: Nvm about walking dead, had TT mixed up with Telltale games. Still some solid titles under their belt.

kaskade

I would get weird frame dips when playing Arkham City on PC. How is the PC version so far, assuming anyone has it yet. I found settings that would keep me at 60 most of the time. Once in a while it seemed like it would drop below 30 for no real reason.

jett

D-Member
The new Batman costume looks loads better than Rocksteady's. Overally I think the character models are stronger, RS needs to step their game up for the next one. :p I think I'll be getting this on PC some time down the road. Just replayed AC this week, I think I've had my fill of Batman for a while. :p

DrBo42

Streamed the entire game. Around 11 hours pure story playthrough. Overall was what I expected, game feels like an expansion pack for Arkham City but IMO the plot is significantly better. There's a lot more emotion going on in this story and you care what happens to some of the characters rather than none. Boss fights were a bit more realized here but the feeling of series fatigue really dulls what should shine in Origins. There's not enough changes to make the gameplay stand out on its own even though subtle improvements may be there. Detective mode/crime scene investigation was definitely more involved and I found that to be a rather large +. Fun experience. Early pacing in the open world is a bit dreadful but it really tightens up towards the end and finishes strong.

7/10

Streamed the entire game. Around 11 hours pure story playthrough. Overall was what I expected, game feels like an expansion pack for Arkham City but IMO the plot is significantly better. There's a lot more emotion going on in this story and you care what happens to some of the characters rather than none. Boss fights were a bit more realized here but the feeling of series fatigue really dulls what should shine in Origins. There's not enough changes to make the gameplay stand out on its own even though subtle improvements may be there. Detective mode/crime scene investigation was definitely more involved and I found that to be a rather large +. Fun experience. Early pacing in the open world is a bit dreadful but it really tightens up towards the end and finishes strong.

7/10

neat. sounds right for my $24 i paid on ebay.

No Love

Banned

7/10

Spoken like a true gaming journalist: you reviewed and scored the game without even playing it. LOL

JohngPR

Yes, I did. And I
took them all out silently, the game saved, and then it gave me a waypoint to go back to the last laptop I used to triangulate. I went back, and I couldn't interact with the laptop. I shut the game down and reloaded, and now there is no objective waypoint at all. Maybe it's just a really bad bug?

There's a green steel double door in the middle area of the boat (in the lower section) that you have to go through to go inside of the boat to progress.

EDIT: Now I have zero health whenever I restart the game. I think this is a copy protection issue that kicked in because I'm playing in offline mode. Going to wait until midnight and try again. I guess they're punishing proxy unlockers...

I really doubt it's anything to do with being in offline mode. Sounds like you've just hit a random bug. Been playing all day in offline mode and made it through that part no problem.

At this point I'm more curious of how well the game will sell, not so much the review scores. The game IS good, I just hope people can get past the "not rocksteady"/"prequel cash in" bs that is surrounding the game pre launch.

At this point I'm more curious of how well the game will sell, not so much the review scores. The game IS good, I just hope people can get past the "not rocksteady"/"prequel cash in" bs that is surrounding the game pre launch.

I think it has more to do with the impending next gen launch and the fact that this is the one of the last games coming out before it hits that isn't cross-gen.

Effect

Still unsure about this. Perhaps it would be better to get Arkham City since it's significantly cheaper if one is really on the fence about getting the game and not sure if they're willing to spend $50/$60?

Hagi

The new Batman costume looks loads better than Rocksteady's. Overally I think the character models are stronger, RS needs to step their game up for the next one. :p I think I'll be getting this on PC some time down the road. Just replayed AC this week, I think I've had my fill of Batman for a while. :p

Origins Killer Croc takes a massive shit on the other design, so good. Bane as well from what I've seen. They seem to be taking a lot more cues design wise from TAS than whatever the fuck Rocksteady was doing.

zainetor

Banned
Origins Killer Croc takes a massive shit on the other design, so good. Bane as well from what I've seen. They seem to be taking a lot more cues design wise from TAS than whatever the fuck Rocksteady was doing.

rocksteady's bane and croc are gears of war characters.
Gordon is horrendous.
Only good things they did are catwoman, talia, 2face and ra's.

does it? i loved rocksteadys killer croc. so fucking massive and menacing

Top Bottom