• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Derrick01

Banned
So how is the game? I just got home so once it's finished what I couldn't download on wednesday I'm finally going to dive in.

I know it has to be better than the Vita game that's for sure.

Ein Bear

So how is the game? I just got home so once it's finished what I couldn't download on wednesday I'm finally going to dive in.

It's basically just Arkham City, again. I'm loving it, since AC was awesome, but don't go in expecting a huge leap like AA to AC was. It's good fun for what it is though, and the vastly improved art direction/storyline are huge pluses.

Dysun

I'm enjoying Arkham Origins a great deal, although the bugs and glitches can be very frustrating. It's familiar, but the presentation is far above Arkham City which fell apart with too much going on at all times. The pacing is far better, and the side missions are for the most part different from one another. The boss fights are getting a mixed reaction, but besides Mr Freeze they are my favorite of the franchise.
I think I will replay Arkham City when I'm done with this game though, since I've never replayed it

Derrick01

Banned
It's basically just Arkham City, again. I'm loving it, since AC was awesome, but don't go in expecting a huge leap like AA to AC was. It's good fun for what it is though, and the vastly improved art direction/storyline are huge pluses.

That's pretty much exactly what I expected and I'd be ok with it. WB is not going to let a 2nd team revolutionize their 6+ million selling series, no matter how talented they are.

Zukuu

Banned
AC >> AO >> AA

AC was a 9.5/10 in my books. Almost a perfect game. AO is a watered down formula with a lot less charm and a fucking obtrusive bridge. Still a very good game, but not as good as AC.

Effect

For those that bought the eShop version of the game did you get the Deathstroke DLC for free since it's included in the physical copy of the game or do you have to pay for it?

Also I seem to recall all the DLC being listed before. Along with the season pass but they're gone now.

Derrick01

Banned
So is that challenge map DLC in the game itself already on PC? I ordered from GMG but only got 1 key and there's nothing listed in the DLC section of the game in the library.

It's Arkham City meets day one Bethesda game. So it's somewhere between "Awesome, I am the night" and "buggy piece of shit that shouldn't be sold".

Which move is the ground pound?

Only issue I have With the upgrade system so far is locking away upgrades to story. Been just doing side stuff and it's frustrating that I pretty much max the combat tree.

gfdoom

These were both great boss battles. The only one I've been slightly disappointed with so far was the
deadshot fight
. Not bad, but certainly not as good as it really should have been.

Yea the DeathStroke fight was awesome, and really quite easy once you figured out what to do.

For those that bought the eShop version of the game did you get the Deathstroke DLC for free since it's included in the physical copy of the game or do you have to pay for it?

Also I seem to recall all the DLC being listed before. Along with the season pass but they're gone now.

I don't think I have it. I'll have to check later. Wasn't that DLC just for pre-orders?

justjim89

Can someone please tell me where to find
Copperhead
after the first fight? I punched her again, she warped away, and now I can't find her. She's still my primary objective but she's nowhere to be found.

I also absolutely adore the improved combat system where you have to stay on your toes. You can not just always wait for the inevitable counter pop-up and be done with everything. You have to move around, and punch enemies accordingly and with the proper timing because if you do not you'll get hit by these very aggressive mobsters. The multiple counter system where 3 or more flashes pop-up and you can act accordingly by pressing the counter button by the same amount, is definitely one of those improvements I love.

The faster combat actually encourages exactly the opposite of what you say: stand around and counter a lot. It works now (even better with critical counters) because enemies before didn't attack sufficiently frequently to maintain a combo through countering only. It actually discourages aggressive play in favor of crowd control, spreading the group out and exploiting Batman's super long attack range, and just plain old standing around countering.

Oh, and the double and triple counters are not new, they were in City. Not sure why you're talking about it as an improvement.

The faster combat actually encourages exactly the opposite of what you say: stand around and counter a lot. It works now (even better with critical counters) because enemies before didn't attack sufficiently frequently to maintain a combo through countering only. It actually discourages aggressive play in favor of crowd control, spreading the group out and exploiting Batman's super long attack range, and just plain old standing around countering.

Oh, and the double and triple counters are not new, they were in City. Not sure why you're talking about it as an improvement.

yep double tripple counters aren't new, but there are a ton of new animations for those and for single counters as well.

playing more defense is the key to succeed in this.

if you wanna go offense, get the vita/3ds game! I heard enemies barely attack at all lol

Is online dead or what. It's taking forever to get a room going on 360. Does it suck that bad?
My best guess is that the mandatory full room to launch + no joining games in progress made everyone's first experience terrible so people stopped trying, which in turn makes the experience worse. Textbook example of how to kill a multiplayer component that had little interest in the first place.

tim1138

Did they ever reveal the full contents of the Season Pass? I remember an interview with one of the dev's a few weeks back where he said once people knew the contents they'd understand the price. So did they ever say what it comes with asides from all the costumes?

Did they ever reveal the full contents of the Season Pass? I remember an interview with one of the dev's a few weeks back where he said once people knew the contents they'd understand the price. So did they ever say what it comes with asides from all the costumes?

betting on 1 dlc thing. hopefully better than that shitty harley one.

Lima

But in AO you have to press the counter button two or three times depending on how many enemies attack you. That is definitely new and threw me off at first.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can someone please tell me where to find
Copperhead
after the first fight? I punched her again, she warped away, and now I can't find her. She's still my primary objective but she's nowhere to be found.
Are you stumbling around while drugged? You've probably figured it out by now, but just keep walking. She 'appears' a couple times in front of you before you get to the actual fight.

But in AO you have to press the counter button two or three times depending on how many enemies attack you. That is definitely new and threw me off at first.

Hmm, I don't remember this being different. Felt natural to me.

No, that's how it was before. Things like the double strike from the martial artist are new, but nothing changed as far as the double/triple counters except possibly some animations which I can neither confirm nor deny. There were a lot of them that people probably never saw in City because they were situational.

Lima

No, that's how it was before. Things like the double strike from the martial artist are new, but nothing changed as far as the double/triple counters except possibly some animations which I can neither confirm nor deny. There were a lot of them that people probably never saw in City because they were situational.

Really? I played through AA 8 times and AC 3 times, if two enemies attacked you in that game you only had to press the counter button once to counter both.

Edit: Yep just booted up AC to check. Two enemies attack you at the same time, press Y once to counter both.

Sojgat

So I thought I'd give the MP a try since it looks kinda cool, but it just sits in the matchmaking lobby searching forever.

Launch of this game has been such a bummer, all I want to do is play the damn thing and it won't let me:(

Character customization was cool to play around with at least, I like the designs.

Timu

I still can't believe how short the campaign is, I wasn't expecting 10+ hours, but it could have gave me more than 6 hours, for the record, when I got the game on release day, I went from the prison to the(don't read the spoilers if you haven't beaten the game yet)
upper end of the hotel
within a few hours and yesterday I played even fewer hours than Friday and started with the
1st Bane battle
to the
very end with Joker

Still enjoyed it though and it made some improvements over the past 2 Arkham games.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Question about Enigma
I've hit all the relays and destroyed the server at his HQ. Now what do I do? The hack pad is still jammed from the other side and the case file is still opened. What's the next step?

jakomocha

I hesitate to believe this but here's to hoping :) I wonder if DF will do a face-off.

AC and AA were very enjoyable (though a bit overhyped imo). I really want to pick this up but that lack of multiplayer and full price tag on the Wii U version leaves me with a sour taste. Gaaaah
The Wii U version costs $10 less. It's not the same price as other versions.

erawsd

Really? I played through AA 8 times and AC 3 times, if two enemies attacked you in that game you only had to press the counter button once to counter both.

Edit: Yep just booted up AC to check. Two enemies attack you at the same time, press Y once to counter both.

Are you playing on Hard? I've only ever played AC on hard, but I'm certain you're suppose to hit the button for each counter. One thing I notice in AC is that its really buggy and Batman will do the animation even though he only grabs one guy. In AO I haven't had that happen to me yet.

Derrick01

Banned

Cool thanks.

We just know there's 1 "big" DLC but we don't know what it is. The pass is like a billion skins and that pretty much. I think there's a bruce wayne combat challenge map too but I feel like it's just going to be Batman's moves but with bruce's skin. I mean it would only make sense right?

Sojgat

I've been replaying AC today and the multiple counter system works the same way as in Origins. Even if I'm wrong and I've been pressing the button twice unnecessarily for two attackers at the same time, you definitely need to press it again for a third attacker. Played on 360, normal difficulty and new game+.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cool thanks.

We just know there's 1 "big" DLC but we don't know what it is. The pass is like a billion skins and that pretty much. I think there's a bruce wayne combat challenge map too but I feel like it's just going to be Batman's moves but with bruce's skin. I mean it would only make sense right?

I read somewhere that the DLC was about Bruce's time training as a ninja. Or I made that up. One of the two.

Lima

I've been replaying AC today and the multiple counter system works the same way as in Origins. Even if I'm wrong and I've been pressing the button twice unnecessarily for two attackers at the same time, you definitely need to press it again for a third attacker. Played on 360, normal difficulty and new game+.

Yeah you need to press it twice if three guys attack you. Maybe it was intended for AC to be the same way it is in AO but since I "learned" it "wrong/differently" it was kinda weird for my muscle memory. It feels more natural and makes more sense in AO though.

This is what I pretty much meant. I call this an improvement because the encounters have multiple counters at one time and just simply pressing 1 button is not a viable option, especially not with the Ninja's and whatnot.

This game's combat is harder because it keeps you on your toes. Saying that just standing still and countering is a more viable option instead of running around (which someone said here) has not yet had those big ass guys attacking you, and the SWAT with shields.

I am not saying AC's combat was terrible. This is just an improvement for the better because the enemies are more aggressive.

Unai

The timing sure feels different. I started on hard and I died two times in the first group of enemies. I was replaying through Asylum last week on hard without the counter alerts and I barely died.

But this is not a bad thing. Combat was way easy before, and now I have to actually use the Counter move and not just jump like a crazy man.

Edit: Is the weapon breaking move in the game?

Jirotrom

Back in the city, so back to the game, and time to benchmark. Posted in the other thread, but here's my performance/setting deets.

i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
GTX 770 4GB
8GB DDR3
Win8.1

batbench5mqzu.jpg
How did you benchmark?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
That's pretty much exactly what I expected and I'd be ok with it. WB is not going to let a 2nd team revolutionize their 6+ million selling series, no matter how talented they are.

Also, expect more bugs, less polish, and annoying grapple points.

Besides that, yeah - more AC with a better overall story and art direction (which I hope Rocksteady copies for the next game).

The only voice I didn't like was Gordan, every one elses VA was on point, I even prefer this Batman at times.

Isn't the VA of Gordon the same guy I kept hearing in Elder Scrolls Oblivion? Such an annoying voice to keep hearing.

Troy Baker surprised me a lot as The Joker. If I did not knew any better I would have said it was still Mark Hamill doing his job.

I'm enjoying Arkham Origins a great deal, although the bugs and glitches can be very frustrating. It's familiar, but the presentation is far above Arkham City which fell apart with too much going on at all times.

I know I'm in the minority, but I can't for the life of me figure out how people think this. Right now it seems like City is superior in every way - presentation, score, dialogue, design...

Lima

The only voice I didn't like was Gordan, every one elses VA was on point, I even prefer this Batman at times.

I'm so attached to Assassin's Creed that I only hear Ezio. Fucking Italian Batman. I annoyed me so much that I switched to the German VO which is really good just like with the previous two games.

haikira

NOx_Covenant

Neo Member
Is online dead or what. It's taking forever to get a room going on 360. Does it suck that bad?

No, it's been horrible since beta.

Color me NOT surprised though. Anyone who expected Splash Damage to create a respectable MP mode was really being optimistic.

But thankfully, the SP is good.

Top Bottom