• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Some Nobody

Some thoughts now that I've beaten Deathstroke:

1.) I like the story for this a lot more than City, thus far.

2.) Arkham Origins has the best tone for Batman of all the Arkham games. It's gritty, without being gross and disgusting. Feminists winced at the villains using the word "bitch" all the time in Arkham City. A fair gripe to be sure, but I thought how cartoonishly evil the random inmates were was much worse, and actually kind of immersion-breaking. There was one random bit of dialogue I heard in City to the effect of, "Wow. THOSE two got ahold of that girl? That's gross." "Yeah, and that's coming from a serial murdering cannibal!", or something like that. Like, are you for real? At what point is Gotham not an unsalvageable wreck that you don't just fucking wipe from existence?

3.) The
Deathstroke
fight is deceptively easy. Took me four tries to beat him (I think), but once I figured out the trick it was nothing. In fact after I got the gadget for beating him, the game froze and I was forced to restart. Beat him again; even easier than before. Make no mistake, if you don't know what you're doing he'll beat you into the pavement, every time. You just have to be careful and not slam on the counter button.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Back in the city, so back to the game, and time to benchmark. Posted in the other thread, but here's my performance/setting deets.

i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
GTX 770 4GB
8GB DDR3
Win8.1

batbench5mqzu.jpg

I think the window is shortened. You have to hit the attack button very quickly after you are able to perform the attack.

Haha...well I feel stupid for asking this last night...given I hadn't done the
Lady Shiva
side quest...and thus didn't have critical strikes unlock hahah. Probably helps when trying to do them. Well, shouldn't be a prob now.

EDIT: Anddd done, as soon as I found a big enuogh group of guys to do it on haha.

RobbieNick

Rented from Gamefly for 360.

Crashed on initial load and crashed again about an hour into the game. Other than that, plays like every other Batman Arkham game. I might wait until I can find this cheaper in the spring before I buy it.

ShadyJ

Agreed the copperhead fight was pretty shit. Rest of the game (minus the tower glitch) is pretty fantastic. And the story is better than either of the first two games IMO. Really shocked at some of the review scores, a SIX!??! This game is good, no fucking way its a 6.

This game is more of the previous two with a better story, i don't know how its being reviewed as low as a six

Lima

Rented from Gamefly for 360.

Crashed on initial load and crashed again about an hour into the game. Other than that, plays like every other Batman Arkham game. I might wait until I can find this cheaper in the spring before I buy it.

I think this will get cheap real quick. Hell I only payed 38€ for the 360 version on release.

This will see the same success that God of War Ascension and Gears of War Judgment saw, as in none.

Nokterian

Batman, I know you hate crooked cops but jeez...

iLFx4MLC8jgUO.gif

I really dig these new slo mo finishers with a wider camera angle. But loving the game so far..didn't encounter bugs or glitches..yet. I love love the way PhysX work it adds something extra like the snow going around when you fight for example or all the little papers yes it was in AC also but they have stepped up a notch in AO.

I also believe the knife dodge is fundamentally flawed. There is no way, NO WAY I keep screwing these up by my fault. I know for certain I press the buttons at the right moment, I never had any problem with them in Arkham City but I'm struggling with knife dodges every single time

Just the straight up knife dodge, not the takedown? Just hold the stick right back and the counter button right down when you see the yellow counter signal. Don't tap em, just hold em both down til dude is done swiping. For the takedown, keep holding the stick back, but hold the counter button for the duration of each swipe, but let go between the swipes. So stick back + counter button, both held down, or stick back, counter button held down intermittently, letting go between swipes for the takedown. Hope that helps. There's been qutie a few things I have had toruble with in this, and because of some of the buggyness, my first reaction has been "christ, is this a bug?". But the knife dodge is definitely fine and do-able, I can attest to that one.

Irobot82

Wuff. PC version here. Twice I've had the game glitch on me while flying and I get stuck in an animation where batman is bringing his cape out to fly. It allowed me to fly upwards.

Now for the bad news. So I started playing yesterday having just finished the ship area. From there I finished an entire case file (easy to guess who). Then I moved onto the story for probably 6 hours worth of finding stuff and continuing the story. Then I moved to sneak into the police HQ. Game glitched on me and froze my entire PC. Reboot. Lost my ENTIRE progress. So disappointing. I haven played this buggy of a game since New Vegas. This game isn't nearly as polished as the previous two.

On last note. In tried to restart where my save file now picks up but I drop through the ship into eternal darkness. I may have to completely restart now. Bummer.

Edit: Also I have a hard time doing the the Flying kick thing with the Blue bat signal. It'll say left click to perform it but most of the time it doesn't do anything. Also, in a fight sequence left stopped attacking. I had to grapple away and when I dove back into combat it started working again.

LAST BUG I promise! I also had a scene where I was fighting a boss and one of his minions didn't die so he was just hanging around, I couldn't attack him anymore. lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Don't you get tearing with Vsync off?

Probably. Strangely insensitive to tearing as long as it isn't constant and right through the middle of the screen.

Upgrade system is shit. Why did they have to ditch the system in City? That one was perfectly fine. And I got that tower glitch as well. Launch builds, man.

Maybe I should restart the game and play normal mode, because I just can't get my rhythm going in a fight. The window for chaining another move is too small and I get hit if I don't counter after countering another guy. I had to counter non-stop when fighting a dozen of em just to keep the combo going. So maybe playing in Normal mode might help me feel like I'm still playing Batman and not fuckin Counter-strike.

That's kind of how it goes now. Either counter a lot, use explosive gel a lot for crowd control, or dodge roll a lot like a coward. Rush through the ballistic armor to get the multi-ground takedown and use it liberally in big fights.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Had a few hours with this last night, although I've avoided the story:

Combat is like a sped up, refined AC. I don't understand why people think the counter or ground takedown windows have changed, I was pretty handy at AC's combat and had no problem finishing 1 vs 100 as Deathstroke. Also, new enemy types are a lot of fun.

Multiplayer is surprisingly fun. Not something for long term investment, but still. Wish they would allow you to launch with less than 8 players.

The city is much more vertical, though traversal is maybe a little impaired compared to AC. The city makes me think of Batman Returns rather than the neon-punk of previous Arkham games.

My biggest criticism is that Rocksteady's love and knowledge of the source material, which was palpable in every inch of the Arkham games, seems kind of absent to me.

Also, not liking the new upgrade trees.

All in all, I'm enjoying the show. Not anywhere as big a leap as AA to AC, it is an enjoyable 'best of' stop gap.

strafer

Meeh, having a hard time keeping my combat flow.
I remember it being so much easier on asylum.

This. Went back to AA after I finished AO and it was easier.

I hate it when you got a flow going and then some douche with a knife runs up and you loose it all. It's hard sometimes to keep track of all the enemies.

AHA-Lambda

I've actually found the combat ok personally, in fact I managed a combo multiplier of over 80 yesterday, something I've never done in either of the previous Arkham games =/

Not yet, but they are working on one. I'm following it on the WB boards as closely as I can since I'm 14 hours in and cannot continue due to an out of bounds glitch :(

Got any links please? I really want to hear about a fix on the Burnley tower.

haikira

Probably. Strangely insensitive to tearing as long as it isn't constant and right through the middle of the screen.

I'm the same as this, which is funny, since I'm a fussy bastard about almost everything else. Ironically also, I'm the complete polar opposite to my friends, who won't care about most things, except screen tearing.

Carbonox

dafuq at my game being glitched with the
Bird
mission next to The Final Offer.

Tells me to go to the spot, I beat up all the guys and the game glitches so I can't interrogate the final guy, meaning I cannot progress. Batman mentions to search for a container in the area but there's fucking nothing.

Even a restart or whatever doesn't fix it.

Sigh. Can absolutely tell the game was a quicky. A real shame but WB wanted dem dollahs.

Sojgat

Had a few hours with this last night, although I've avoided the story:

Combat is like a sped up, refined AC. I don't understand why people think the counter or ground takedown windows have changed, I was pretty handy at AC's combat and had no problem finishing 1 vs 100 as Deathstroke. Also, new enemy types are a lot of fun.
Multiplayer is surprisingly fun. Not something for long term investment, but still. Wish they would allow you to launch with less than 8 players.

The city is much more vertical, though traversal is maybe a little impaired compared to AC. The city makes me think of Batman Returns rather than the neon-punk of previous Arkham games.

My biggest criticism is that Rocksteady's love and knowledge of the source material, which was palpable in every inch of the Arkham games, seems kind of absent to me.

Also, not liking the new upgrade trees.

All in all, I'm enjoying the show. Not anywhere as big a leap as AA to AC, it is an enjoyable 'best of' stop gap.

They haven't, which is the problem some people are having since the enemies are now faster. Batman will get his slo mo time between punches, but the thugs seem to come out of it before he does, and attack more aggressively than in AC. When you go for a ground pound, you have to make sure you have a large window to pull it off or a thug will punch you before Batman can counter again. The combat is harder now (though the timing on the knife takedown seems more forgiving) and I prefer it myself, the new enemy types are great. After my Origins save corrupted I went back to playing AC, and the combat is far easier in comparison. Origins actually made me better at AC.

Also, Deathstroke's health regenerates and he is stronger than Batman, making the 1 vs 100 map much easier. I beat it first time with him and it took me a few tries with Batman.

This is the current thread regarding bugs and updates:

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support/Updates-on-support/td-p/8047

Also, this is the current way to do the Burnley Commuinication Tower if you have the air duct bug, at least until they patch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDLaojdCCw

It's funny how you just need to get onto the roof. Like Batman can't manually fly the Batwing in there, or climb the fence, or use the grapple on one of the many perfectly serviceable surfaces.

AHA-Lambda

I've heard people say that the riddler interrogation is back in this game, I've finished the game now and still not seen any of that, how do you get that?

Gotta say I feel the Riddler stuff is definitely handled the worst in this game, not too pleased with it.

Carbonox

It's funny how you just need to get onto the roof. Like Batman can't manually fly the Batwing in there, or climb the fence, or use the grapple on one of the many perfectly serviceable surfaces.

I get pretty pissed with how often there are things you can't grapple to. ESPECIALLY when there are big fuck off buildings in your way to your destination that should absolutely be grapple-able. Limitations/laziness and all that but it can be very jarring.

I don't remember AC being so limited - it was seamless getting across the entire place.

Irobot82

I've heard people say that the riddler interrogation is back in this game, I've finished the game now and still not seen any of that, how do you get that?

Gotta say I feel the Riddler stuff is definitely handled the worst in this game, not too pleased with it.

Yeah, his guys are information brokers and they tell you where they are hiding their data cache. Are you sure to played the Enigma stuff?

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, his guys are information brokers and they tell you where they are hiding their data cache. Are you sure to played the Enigma stuff?

Yeah I've took down 6 of the 7 networks and got about say 60ish of the collectibles =/

Do I need to get more before that turns up? I've only been getting the datapacks as I see them, I've not been hunting for them.

EDIT: Oh, never mind apparently you need to go to Enigma's HQ, I thought that was locked until you got them all :)

Mogwai

I get pretty pissed with how often there are things you can't grapple to. ESPECIALLY when there are big fuck off buildings in your way to your destination that should absolutely be grapple-able. Limitations/laziness and all that but it can be very jarring.

I don't remember AC being so limited - it was seamless getting across the entire place.
Yes, thank you. I have the same issue with Origins. I constantly have to deal with buildings that I can't grapple. This was never a problem in Arkham City. In Origins I've also encountered gargoyles that wouldn't let me grapple to them... It's getting a bit old complaining about bugs for this game, but there are definitely plenty of them.

Darksol

On my mobile so too fat thumbed to elaborate on my thoughts, but I'm digging the game so far. It feels a little like Batman paint by numbers after two similar titles, but that's my only peeve. Love the fluid combat, gritty atmosphere, darker story.

Also loving my CE Joker sitting upon my bookcase now :)

Irobot82

Yeah I've took down 6 of the 7 networks and got about say 60ish of the collectibles =/

Do I need to get more before that turns up? I've only been getting the datapacks as I see them, I've not been hunting for them.

EDIT: Oh, never mind apparently you need to go to Enigma's HQ, I thought that was locked until you got them all :)

Ahh, yes, that's the trigger. Interesting in this game, from what I can tell you don't have to save the informant till last and not knock him out. I think he "gives up" and you can interrogate him when you are done.

So....

Rocksteady/WB Montreal working on Arrow game confirmed???

I'm kidding of course, but wouldn't it be fantastic if they were...Starling City would lend itself pretty well to a game world and GA has plenty of villains and sidekicks to flesh out a game over 20 hours or so.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
They haven't, which is the problem some people are having since the enemies are now faster. Batman will get his slo mo time between punches, but the thugs seem to come out of it before he does, and attack more aggressively than in AC. When you go for a ground pound, you have to make sure you have a large window to pull it off or a thug will punch you before Batman can counter again. The combat is harder now (though the timing on the knife takedown seems more forgiving) and I prefer it myself, the new enemy types are great. After my Origins save corrupted I went back to playing AC, and the combat is far easier in comparison. Origins actually made me better at AC.

Also, Deathstroke's health regenerates and he is stronger than Batman, making the 1 vs 100 map much easier. I beat it first time with him and it took me a few tries with Batman.

Ah, man! I was really proud of myself too! XD It was sans upgrades, if that makes a difference? ;P Okay, I'll try with The Bat and let you know how I do.

Regarding recovery times for moves, I have to disagree. When I said faster, I meant the standard combat moves (punches etc.). The recovery time for other stuff works about the same in my experience (I played AC the same afternoon I got AO to clear up a few remaining combat challenges). You couldn't ground pound successfully unless you were away from the crowd before and it is the same situation here. Bat Claw a mook away from the crowd, Evade and then Ground Pound is just as necessary a combo as it was in AC. I haven't been caught out much doing it.

Carbonox

So....

Rocksteady/WB Montreal working on Arrow game confirmed???

I'm kidding of course, but wouldn't it be fantastic if they were...Starling City would lend itself pretty well to a game world and GA has plenty of villains and sidekicks to flesh out a game over 20 hours or so.

For good or bad, a Green Arrow game makes me think of a DC version of Assassin's Creed.

I

I would like that

stahp

strafer

My dick would be so hard if Rocksteady somehow managed to get Superman in their next Batman game. To hype up the upcoming Batman and Superman movie.

Would love to see Rocksteadys take on Supes.

Also, the Man of Steel suit fits that universe.

Carbonox

My dick would be so hard if Rocksteady somehow managed to get Superman in their next Batman game. To hype up the upcoming Batman and Superman movie.

Would be interesting. Even if it's just Clark Kent doing some journalism on Batman in a cameo role, 'scouting out the talent/threat', so to speak.

this game is a fcking buggy mess. 3rd time that the game crashed. >_>

I had to restart my game last night cos the framerate made it impossible to do anything, be it pausing the game, moving one step forward, etc. Utterly shocking stuff.

Dr Dogg

Have you guys been going back to the Batcave and chatting to Alfred at all? Some nice little touches there to lighten the mood.

witness

Seems like some version of Superman being in the Rocksteady game is a good bet going off those old rumors for their next gen game. Even if he isn't I find it hard to believe that WB will just pass on a big Batman/Superman game in 2015, at the very least they would put Montreal on it. Also you know there will be Lego game of that movie.

Sojgat

Ah, man! I was really proud of myself too! XD It was sans upgrades, if that makes a difference? ;P Okay, I'll try with The Bat and let you know how I do.

Regarding recovery times for moves, I have to disagree. When I said faster, I meant the standard combat moves (punches etc.). The recovery time for other stuff works about the same in my experience (I played AC the same afternoon I got AO to clear up a few remaining combat challenges). You couldn't ground pound successfully unless you were away from the crowd before and it is the same situation here. Bat Claw a mook away from the crowd, Evade and then Ground Pound is just as necessary a combo as it was in AC. I haven't been caught out much doing it.

It just seems like thugs will close the distance between them and you faster than in AC. Origins feels like the enemies are always more tightly crowded around Batman, you really have to evade a lot more to break them up. I found myself using the ground pound much less and just constantly ping ponging between a beatdown target and countering the guys coming up behind me.

I might be wrong about this, but in AC I think once you get into free flow the Bat Claw grapple will move Batman torwards the targeted enemy as much as they move towards him, which can seperate you from the pack, allowing more time for any possible counters after you do the clothesline. In Origins the enemy is just pulled to where Batman is standing, again you have to evade more to make it work, which I like because it makes it more tactical. I think it's how they've made the animations look a little less unnatural/exaggerated.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
For all the crap skyrim and new vegas took this is so much worse. Pathetic QA for a AAA game. I have had a half dozen or more freezes, a corrupted game save and several bugs that have included invisible enemies and falling out of the geometry.... none of my mates playing have any better luck... it is a real let down as underneath all that the game is fun.

I'm sure its been said in this thread but my biggest problem so far is the atrocious upgrade system that they came up with. If they were gonna copy paste a lot of shit from City why change that? It's quite terrible and stupid. Where the fuck are my damn critical strikes. ugh.

Top Bottom