• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

On PC anyone getting really clicky and stuttery intro logos? The DC comics etc.? the audio keeps clicking in and out but the game itself is perfect

EDIT: Nevermind, it was the speaker configuration set wrong in the options. It was on Home Cinema but I was using stereo headphones

zainetor

Banned
i tried some fights without hints, my god this is brutal.
When youre in the open, is fine, but if you're in a very closed environment, everybody gangs up on you and I cant see shit. Only way to score a perfect, is to spam the flip, until you have some room to initiate an attack and even then, most of the times, enemies animations are too fast to understand what's going on.
And yeah the camera is definitely worse in this.

Sojgat

To be honest, I really don't want Kevin Conroy back at all as Batman. He's just been giving lazy performance after lazy performance in Injustice, Arkham City, and the DCU animated movies. It's getting tiring.

I wouldn't mind Bruce Greenwood taking over, Conroy's line delivery was kind of bad in Arkham City.

Permanently A

On PC anyone getting really clicky and stuttery intro logos? The DC comics etc.? the audio keeps clicking in and out but the game itself is perfect

On your shortcut to the game right-click, go to properties. In the Target box add this "-nostartupmovies" It will remove the start up movies.

Do the smoke bombs ever upgrade beyond increased radius? It seems enemies not in the initial blast can run straight/see straight through the smoke now.

Sullichin

Not sure how I feel about the combat. I like the increased difficulty, but I don't remember struggling with the camera during a fight in an Arkham game before this. Also seems like I have to counter way more frequently.

Riggs

Banned
Not sure how I feel about the combat. I like the increased difficulty, but I don't remember struggling with the camera during a fight in an Arkham game before this. Also seems like I have to counter way more frequently.

The best thing to do is get past 8X combo, where time slows up. You can literally dispatch like 20+ thugs easy as fuck without countering much. You will have to counter sometimes obviously, when a lot of dudes are very close to you etc. But you can really go most fights with just hitting X at the right time for powerful attacks, you will be flying all over the fucking map owning everyone maybe countering 10% of the time. Shit feels so good.

Shit feels so fun when you do Right Trigger + Y for that batclaw, then clothesline the hell out of someone. Also I love hitting B to cape stun, then I hit A twice and batman will pound them into the ground. A+B for quick take down to when you get that helps a lot.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

EDIT: Nevermind, it was the speaker configuration set wrong in the options. It was on Home Cinema but I was using stereo headphones

Just turn them off, delete/rename the files in Steam\SteamApps\common\Batman Arkham Origins\SinglePlayer\BMGame\Movies

Derrick01

Banned
To be honest, I really don't want Kevin Conroy back at all as Batman. He's just been giving lazy performance after lazy performance in Injustice, Arkham City, and the DCU animated movies. It's getting tiring.

I haven't played much but I like this Batman so far. He feels less comic book-ey/cartoon TV Batman and more movie Batman. Like how Christian Bale should have sounded as Batman if he toned down his gargling gravel imitation.

Does batman ever argue back besides with his fists? A bit disappointing when like anarky or league of assassins or whoever have somewhat legit criticism with how he operates yet all he does is throw his fists or saying ' innocent people will blah blah'.

Remmy2112

Does batman ever argue back besides with his fists? A bit disappointing when like anarky or league of assassins or whoever have somewhat legit criticism with how he operates yet all he does is throw his fists or saying ' innocent people will blah blah'.

He's the Goddamned Batman. He doesn't need to engage in verbal point/counter-point when he can just bludgeon someone.

Seriously though Batman has his moments, but this is still a younger Batman who up until recently has only been going up against mob bosses and petty thugs. The super villains with legitimate mental illnesses/defects he sometimes has to engage and sometimes defeat verbally have not really shown up. You don't really see those until Two-Face and Mr. Freeze. Joker is just plain, incurably insane and psychotic while Enigma is so convinced of his own mental superiority that you can almost never convince him that what he is doing is wrong.

The game also does not show to you another side of Gotham's criminal element which is people fallen on hard times struggling to survive. Almost every criminal in the game is a mook for one of the major crime lords.

schlew

Just a lame question.

Regarding the Burnely Towers glitch, if I DO encounter the bug, is it just a matter of loading last checkpoint? Or is it far more complicated?

I'm playing on Wii U, and while I hear it's unaffected, I also hear it is. So, just want to play it safe.

Just a lame question.

Regarding the Burnely Towers glitch, if I DO encounter the bug, is it just a matter of loading last checkpoint? Or is it far more complicated?

I'm playing on Wii U, and while I hear it's unaffected, I also hear it is. So, just want to play it safe.

Seems so. Haven't really bothered with towers. Because 90% of the time I don't have the gadget to access it. And the map is small enough to fly around with the given quick teleport places.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why did they do this? Why is essential shit liked that locked behind a mission? I hope to God Rocksteady does away with this in the next game.

I don't know why but
the electrocutioner
boss fight cracked me up.

I was a little shocked
Shiva
didn't turn out to be the big bad honestly, especially hearing what Bane's goons were talking about. How he's paying off a debt to some woman.

pa22word

Why did they do this? Why is essential shit liked that locked behind a mission? I hope to God Rocksteady does away with this in the next game.

I don't know why but
the electrocutioner
boss fight cracked me up.

I hope they won't, as it's better game design to completely take away that entirely nonessential archaic crutch. Besides, WB Mont already found a better way to emphasis players not to mash buttons in the context of the free-flow combat system: increase enemy aggression.

pa22word

This game is GORGEOUS on PC. Running eveyrthing maxed, well... except for AA

Yeah it seems like the game's MSAA is taking cues from Max Payne 3 in terms of how ungodly demanding it is. I could run 8X MSAA in AC if I wanted to with playable framerates, but in this one it turns my game into a literal slideshow (fraps said 1 fps, lulz). If I remember correctly in the case of MP3 it was because the DX11 form of MSAA allows devs to apply to to shadows as well, which causes it to be super demanding. Or something. I don't know, let's get durrante or eatchildren in here to explain it better >.>!

Now imagine your save has been corrupted.

Ugggh, than kfuck that didn't happen to me haha.

Finished the game, think it's pretty much just the enigma extortion files I need to finish now. Managed to finish 3 of the 4 dark knight system things. Think I'll need to new game plus to finish the predator stuff, unless there's some respawning predator rooms around the map? Honestly, I think the game is fantastic. The story is absolutely brilliant. So many rewarding moments where things come together just so
The genesis of Joker's obsession with Batman, and Harley's obsession with Joker is just brilliant.
. Arkham City's actual city is more fun to search for extras, but the indoor environments, the story and the visuals are absolutely brilliant here. Personally, I think the combat in this is good, more challenging, but City's manages to be challenging while straight up more fun. I would mash them together if I could. I'll be lined up for the next game, regardless of which team makes it.

SkylineRKR

I finished some predator stuff on random rooftops. Such as using no thermal vision. But for things like use every type of takedown you have to replay I think.

The best thing to do is get past 8X combo, where time slows up. You can literally dispatch like 20+ thugs easy as fuck without countering much. You will have to counter sometimes obviously, when a lot of dudes are very close to you etc. But you can really go most fights with just hitting X at the right time for powerful attacks, you will be flying all over the fucking map owning everyone maybe countering 10% of the time. Shit feels so good.

Shit feels so fun when you do Right Trigger + Y for that batclaw, then clothesline the hell out of someone. Also I love hitting B to cape stun, then I hit A twice and batman will pound them into the ground. A+B for quick take down to when you get that helps a lot.

Yes the fights in this start off steep but get easier if you are nimble enough to keep your combo. So in a way the game rewards better players. Its all about split second decisions and adapts, attack an armored guy without stun and the combo is gone, then there are shields, knifers and those Titan dudes. But once the gloves are powered on, its beast mode. Feels good when i'm closing in on 70 hits. Although in some battles I completely suck ass. But thats when I'm too greedy and hasty and not using jump and single jabs to spread them out to build combo meter first. Patience is a virtue,

I especially like that special move where you neutralize multiple downed enemies from the air.

KHlover

Banned
(early boss spoiler)
DeathStroke
was the best boss of the series, so far.

Yeah, that fight was awesome. Really gave me the feeling of two professionals duking it out.

Story spoiler (endgame-ish, I think)
German VA choice really destroyed what I think was supposed to be the big twist of the game. Black Mask has the same VA as Joker in Arkham Asylum/City. All recurring characters so far had their original VA. Geez, I wonder who "Black Mask" really is. Couldn't they at least have made his voice a deeper pitch or something. I've just beaten DeathStroke, but Jokers VA + GREEN poison gas really makes me think it's Joker :/

bryanee

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OFF.

After having no issues with glitches and bugs I turn on my 360 just now to carry on my save with hours of gameplay on it and I'm greeted with CORRUPT SAVE in the save file.

I am fucking pissed.

Dead

well not really...yet
Why the fuck does it seem this batman went to the Christopher Nolan school of shit for brain detectives. If I hear "where is he?!" One more time...

merrick97

Banned
i tried some fights without hints, my god this is brutal.
When youre in the open, is fine, but if you're in a very closed environment, everybody gangs up on you and I cant see shit. Only way to score a perfect, is to spam the flip, until you have some room to initiate an attack and even then, most of the times, enemies animations are too fast to understand what's going on.
And yeah the camera is definitely worse in this.
Yeah there are times where it can be pretty wretched.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OFF.

After having no issues with glitches and bugs I turn on my 360 just now to carry on my save with hours of gameplay on it and I'm greeted with CORRUPT SAVE in the save file.

I am fucking pissed.

Seriously, what is the deal with this? The number of people losing their saves in various ways is ridiculously high it seems.

bryanee

Seriously, what is the deal with this? The number of people losing their saves in various ways is ridiculously high it seems.

I haven't had any really issues until now. I just finished a mission, it saved fine, I quit to the menu, go back to the dash and then turn off the 360 as always. I boot the game up just now and my file is corrupt.

I wouldn't mind so much because I'll be able to breeze through the story stuff its just that I took out all the enigma scanners and informants (like the ones in AC)

One question for those who preordered the game on Steam, I preordered the game on Steam but the Deathstroke DLC isn't displayed on the "Properties/DLC" option on Steam, it says "You currently have no downloadable content for this product", but I read that some people are reporting that the Deathstroke DLC is available in game, could some one clarify this please?

Thank you!

strafer

So I went back to AO today after some AC business and now I feel the enemies in AO take longer to kill. They are like punching bags. :p

SkylineRKR

That would explain why I had to turn the game off at one point...

Thanks for the tip.

In my case it was packed with the DLC into one 300mb file though. I had to redownload Knightfall and Deathstroke and up until now I just decline the update when prompted.

scoobs

Holy shit Ive never been more lost in a game than i am now. Inside the hotel and have to use an electic batarang to hit a fusebox but cant find it for the life of me. Am i blind?

Edit: Immediately figured it out after typing this. Theres been a few times in this game where i literally had no idea what to do.

One thing I really love is the introduction of real detective work. I love examining a crime scene, putting all the pieces together and then tracking down the culprit. If there's one criticism I have, it's that it holds your hand too much in how you work through a case, but that's something that can be addressed in future games.

One question for those who preordered the game on Steam, I preordered the game on Steam but the Deathstroke DLC isn't displayed on the "Properties/DLC" option on Steam, it says "You currently have no downloadable content for this product", but I read that some people are reporting that the Deathstroke DLC is available in game, could some one clarify this please?

Thank you!

Yea, the DLC is there. Just hit up the challenge maps and Deathstroke should be there for you.

So I went back to AO today after some AC business and now I feel the enemies in AO take longer to kill. They are like punching bags. :p

Now that I've played it all and got all the stuff, my feeling is they pushed up the difficulty over AC by giving you less breathing room between guys attacking you and having guys take more hits to kill, but as soon as you have the
shock gloves
it yoyos the complete other way and means you can 50 hit combo huge groups of guys that were totally rancid to fight prior. I actually got the critical attacks really late though, so I don't know if I'd feel the fighting was so hard if I'd had it straight after Deathstrike.

One thing I really love is the introduction of real detective work. I love examining a crime scene, putting all the pieces together and then tracking down the culprit. If there's one criticism I have, it's that it holds your hand too much in how you work through a case, but that's something that can be addressed in future games.

That, yea stuff was fantastic, more indepth, harder cases please. I love how it's not only a good game mechanic, it was a really neat story telling device at
Black Mask's
apartment, piecing it together bit by bit until "He's the shadow I've been chasing
Gave me chills to see Batman reconstruct the whole scene but with no idea what the joker even looks like yet at this point in his career. Very cool to see it playing out, and WE know what Joker looks like but it's just some faceless virtual model to Bats

Top Bottom