• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Skilletor

What's frustrating about the Deathstroke fight? I beat it the first time and thought it was fucking amazing. Can't wait to fight Shiva.

NOx_Covenant

Neo Member
What's frustrating about the Deathstroke fight? I beat it the first time and thought it was fucking amazing. Can't wait to fight Shiva.

It wasn't horrible, but it was tedious.

Add to the fact that I encountered Glitch #3555 which froze the game after receiving the new hook weapon, and you multiply that tedious factor by at least 2-3 times since I had to repeat the fight several times.

Sojgat

Main problem people seem to have is waiting to counter Slade's attacks even though the animation shows him hitting you. It goes against everything the previous games have taught players.

YEEEEESSS. Just achieved the rank 15 challenge in the shadow vigilante track. 50x combo, 15 variations, no damage. Brilliant. Maxed the gotham protector track too, two to go!

I am actually so pleased with that haha. Did it in a fairly solid room too:
just before the third bomb in the bridge, room surrounded by electric fencing

Jirotrom

Sullichin

I thought it was a great fight, took me a few tries though.

I'm in the middle of the
Mad Hatter
part right now. I am still finding the combat to be much more difficult than the other games. I need to get better at using gadgets in fights.

merrick97

Banned
I have not finished the game but here are my immediate thoughts:

1. The combat is largely the same, but they made 1 HUGE change that can be a turn off for some, but a welcome challenge for others. Instead of being able to choose your skills to upgrade they now have a skill tree and most of the combat upgrades are locked away until you progress the story. This can be a HUGE disadvantage to people like me who made a living using the Critical Strike upgrade in addition to the instant takedowns, which enabled you to do instant takedowns and/or reach freeflow focus quicker. From a story and gameplay perspective it makes sense. Batman is young and raw and it makes sense to lock away his best upgrades until the end. It forces you to use the tools you have.

The combat also places a HUGE premium on the ability to counter. In principal it was also a good idea, but it has some problems that when combined with other problems becomes a major problem. Let me explain:

The camera in this game like the other games is still quirky. Too often the camera would get too close and you couldn't see many of enemies and you got hit because you couldn't see someone who was attacking. In AC it was annoying but I never felt it was something couldn't be overcome, but in this game it can be very frustrating. On top of that enemies in AO are MUCH more aggressive, the move faster and can attack you much quicker after doing an instant takedown than in previous games leaving you little time to react.

Where all of that really gets exacerbated is due to the fact that counters in this game have a difficult time registering. The knife counter takedown is one example where it only works about half of the time. In situations that require multiple counters it is downright rage inducing. Heck, even counter mashing doesn't work.

At the beginning of the game its a non-issue, but when you get to boss battles that rely on counters it becomes a problem. I thought maybe I had a problem with my controller so I went back and played Arkham City and had no issues, but then again having the ability to do critical strikes maybe just took the edge off.

Speaking of boss battles, they arent explained very well since its no always obvious when you are supposed to counter and when you are supposed to strike. The Deathstroke fight is a perfect example of this in which you are supposed to do counters, but there were times when the counter would do damage and there were times where I would end up taking damage. I never figured it out I just resorted to spamming my batclaw and that got me far enough.

Just my thoughts.

Sojgat

YEEEEESSS. Just achieved the rank 15 challenge in the shadow vigilante track. 50x combo, 15 variations, no damage. Brilliant. Maxed the gotham protector track too, two to go!

I am actually so pleased with that haha. Did it in a fairly solid room too:
just before the third bomb in the bridge, room surrounded by electric fencing

Now imagine your save has been corrupted.

Derrick01

Banned
Woah I think starting this on Hard might have been a mistake. This talk about enemies being relentless was true, it takes some real getting used to with positioning so you're not just doing endless counters for the whole fight.

GolazoDan

I don't get any of these boss complaints, I thought they were all okay (granted I've not done
Shiva
or
Deadshot
yet). Only one that kinda annoyed me was
the final Bane fight
but I was just being sloppy to be honest.

zainetor

Banned
Isn't the VA of Gordon the same guy I kept hearing in Elder Scrolls Oblivion? Such an annoying voice to keep hearing.

Troy Baker surprised me a lot as The Joker. If I did not knew any better I would have said it was still Mark Hamill doing his job.

the funny thing in all this, is that the Va for Bullock is the same as TAS.
btw who is voicing Harley here?

Wait, Burnley Tower was glitched? I didn't have any problems with it, I just used the remote grapple to cross the gap, smashed through the window and used the air vent to get to the security panel.

Huh...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait, Burnley Tower was glitched? I didn't have any problems with it, I just used the remote grapple to cross the gap, smashed through the window and used the air vent to get to the security panel.

Huh...

If you do the security panel in the room before the vent it glitches.

I'm about 4 hours in and so far I'm really enjoying the change in enemy behaviour. I started City on hard and the combat was dull throughout, Origin's on hard actually feels like a decent challenge. I've only had one main boss fight so far as I've been spending time doing the side stuff/collectable and I've yet to run into a major glitch so I'm having a good time so far. I'm especially loving the travel mobility in the game after the tedium of getting from point A to B in GTAV.

NOx_Covenant

Neo Member

Huh...

Glitches are a weird thing.

They seem to be situation dependent. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I was a speed demon and I was hunting down enigma towers and unlocking stuff left and right. My amazing and undeniable skill in AC may have overloaded the game.

Eyothrie

I cannot for the life of me dodge damn knife attacks. pushing away on left stick and holding in Y on the 360 pad. I'm not sure why I can't get it to work effectively.

It wasn't horrible, but it was tedious.

Add to the fact that I encountered Glitch #3555 which froze the game after receiving the new hook weapon, and you multiply that tedious factor by at least 2-3 times since I had to repeat the fight several times.

No, it wasn't. At all.

Some of the criticism in here is a bit laughable, particularly the people who are seemingly infuriated by the bridge.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It can't be that easy.

Otherwise Eric Holmes would have simply said that instead of linking a glitch youtube video.

Well that's what I've been hearing so far, also that the WiiU version doesn't have the bug at all. I'm going to go test it out when I go on to play a bit more so I'll come back and confirm it.

EDIT: Nope, that doesn't work on the Steam version. It sounds like the WiiU has the only version of the game that the Riddler side quest can be finished on.

Sojgat

I cannot for the life of me dodge damn knife attacks. pushing away on left stick and holding in Y on the 360 pad. I'm not sure why I can't get it to work effectively.

Are you holding the stick in the direction as well?

As soon as you see the yellow flashing counter warning just hold both down, the game should lock you to that enemy, and nothing else should hit you. It's more dependable than it was in AC.

NOx_Covenant

Neo Member
No, it wasn't. At all.

Some of the criticism in here is a bit laughable, particularly the people who are seemingly infuriated by the bridge.

Naturally, everyone has opinions, but I found the fight really repetitive.

You engaged Deathstroke, punched him around a couple times, and then a fast-paced QTE would happen until he either disengaged or threw a barrel at you.

Repeat this same sequence, except it goes faster and faster until he eventually dies. It was a very linear experience and I thought it was one of the weaker boss fights. But I wasn't really surprised. The biggest weakness of freeflow is 1-on-1 boss fights. That's why Rocksteady cleverly made the Mr. Freeze bossfight so indirect.

Robotziane

Neo Member
Think I may have just hit a game breaking bug in this. I am right at the end of the game and need to power a pump generator to raise the water level and in turn blow up a wall. Only issue is the button I need to press in order to start the sequence of events no longer works. Has anyone hit this issue and found any work arounds......I really am stunned at the poor quality of this game far too many bugs and issues with it.

the funny thing in all this, is that the Va for Bullock is the same as TAS.
btw who is voicing Harley here?

Yeah, I recognised it too, and the credits have Robert Constanzo there, so it's him.
Tara Strong is credited too, but I'm not familiar with hearing her do an average female so I really couldn't say if she voiced Harleen
. I imagine it is though.

Are you holding the stick in the direction as well?

As soon as you see the yellow flashing counter warning just hold both down, the game should lock you to that enemy, and nothing else should hit you. It's more dependable than it was in AC.

Wait, you just hold the stick and Y for all 3 attacks? I've been having trouble with this as well, and all my variations on technique seem to give me the same (low) rate of success.

Sometimes I pull back on the stick 3 different times (as in back + Y for first attack, release, back + Y for second attack, release), and sometimes I just keep the stick held back but press Y for each attack.

neoism

ok wow where is the PC save location please.... I started a new save back up and I'm at the bank again took me about 2 hours ... I want to back it up encase it fucks up at that same spot again..

Wait, you just hold the stick and Y for all 3 attacks? I've been having trouble with this as well, and all my variations on technique seem to give me the same (low) rate of success.

Sometimes I pull back on the stick 3 different times (as in back + Y for first attack, release, back + Y for second attack, release), and sometimes I just keep the stick held back but press Y for each attack.

i think just holding back is all is required, but i do what you do to, it just feels 'more natural' for me.

Sojgat

Yes, to dodge you just hold both down. To do the knife takedown you hold both, then let off Y after the first attack and press it again before each subsequent attack, while keeping the stick held down.

Dr Dogg

God Batman is a picky little princess. Despite being on the world map he won't let you select a fast travel point unless you're clear out in the open. Even a large overhead obstacle is a pain.

Timu

My benchmark at 1440p:

daa43a05_BatmanOrigins2013-10-2715-42-23-99.png

Just started it today and played roughly the first hour. Got as far as
Penguin's boat

I really like it, Craig Smith does a very capable Batman, but it's mainly just the low talking tones so far and I have a feeling he will sound weird when shouting.

Combat is good but it feels a little less responsive this time. Like I pess Y to counter and he doesn't do it. But it seems the fighting isn't a s noob friendly this time around, just slightly harder.

Almost everything else feels identical as before and I am totally fine with that. I was surprised by how big the map was and when I saw the bridge I thought "It would be cool if I could fly over there" and I could lol

I stopped playing cos the game told me to perform a knife dodge ina tutorial and I couldn't do it for the life of me. I followed on screen prompts and he just got smacked around and died

Oh and the game looks really nice on PC, I love walking through snow and watching the little particles kick up and swirl around as you move through them.

pa22word

Yeah and that too. First Ezio, then Redfield. Make no mistake, he is a terrific voice actor, he just doesn't fit Batman imo. Hey that is why we have options. German is fine with me so I'll take it.

Really? I think he makes a great young, slightly-arrogant Kevin Conroy in this game, and honestly...he kind of out-Bale's Bale >.>
(that scene where alfred confronts batman, lulz)

Batman's VA isn't bad. I'm definitely getting used to it.

What I'm not getting used to is the lack of the thunder audio cue when knocking out enemies. What the hell. It genuinely lessens the impact of the ass-kicking for me. I remember realizing this in Arkham City when I was playing it with the sound muted. Hope that gets patched in down the line.

Lima

Honestly don't know how you can hear Roger as Ezio. It took me an entire playthrough to even notice.

dem credits

I am a massive Assassin's Creed Fan. I heard that voice for hundreds of hours in II, Brotherhood and Revelations.

It is kinda hard not to hear Ezio when he is talking. It doesn't help that outside of the Italian accent he doesn't really sound all that different. I am not saying that he is bad (he is not) but my brain just can't connect that voice with Batman.

Dysun

Until the recent posts I had no idea Chris red field and ezio shared a VA. He sounds vaguely like Chris in his Batman voice though

jackdoe

To be honest, I really don't want Kevin Conroy back at all as Batman. He's just been giving lazy performance after lazy performance in Injustice, Arkham City, and the DCU animated movies. It's getting tiring.

neoism

YEP... after restarting and taking 3 hours to get right where I was before.. it crashes right in the same spot right as its saving and fucks my save up.... Man what an awesome 50 dolla demo... :*(
[CRASHES/FREEZES]

Crash on startup, game will not load.
Black screen during cinematics.
Black Screen during Killer Croc's fight.
Freeze during Bane's fight.
Exiting the Final Offer
Crash after the "Loose Lips" arms dealer cinematic.
Freeze while Fast-traveling to the Batcave
Enabling PhysX causes more crashes
While "checking for content" due to resolution issues on GFXSettings.BatmanArkhamOrigins.xml
Restarting checkpoint after meeting Joker.
Crash on elevator with grinning manager after copperhead encounter.
this one

Top Bottom