• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

So....

Rocksteady/WB Montreal working on Arrow game confirmed???

I'm kidding of course, but wouldn't it be fantastic if they were...Starling City would lend itself pretty well to a game world and GA has plenty of villains and sidekicks to flesh out a game over 20 hours or so.

Man, I wish that was true.

UrbanRats

Is the (Second bossfight spoiler) fight with
Electrocutioner a joke, or did the game bugged on me? I waited like a minute or so for him to do something besides brag, i figured there had to be a strategy, then i decided to just hit him and it triggered a cutscene where Batman knocked him out with one flying kick.

Zukuu

Banned
Electrocutioner a joke, or did the game bugged on me? I waited like a minute or so for him to do something besides brag, i figured there had to be a strategy, then i decided to just hit him and it triggered a cutscene where Batman knocked him out with one flying kick.

that is the joke about it. read his file.^^

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It just seems like thugs will close the distance between them and you faster than in AC. Origins feels like the enemies are always more tightly crowded around Batman, you really have to evade a lot more to break them up. I found myself using the ground pound much less and just constantly ping ponging between a beatdown target and countering the guys coming up behind me.

I might be wrong about this, but in AC I think once you get into free flow the Bat Claw grapple will move Batman torwards the targeted enemy as much as they move towards him, which can seperate you from the pack, allowing more time for any possible counters after you do the clothesline. In Origins the enemy is just pulled to where Batman is standing, again you have to evade more to make it work, which I like because it makes it more tactical. I think it's how they've made the animations look a little less unnatural/exaggerated.

'Ping-ponging' was another key tactic I used in previous Arkham games. Is it frowned upon? XD I spend the majority of my time in the air, giving myself a moment to think about which move I need to do next to get the elusive Variation bonus. In all honesty, that hasn't changed with AO. As well as that, the Ground Pound with the combo multiplier is still the best way to build a really good score, so it's essential to get in there.

Now, if folk were complaining about Catwoman's Ground Pound recovery time in AC... That shit was ridiculous! XD

Mogwai

Is this game open world? I really did not care for AC because it was open world.

It's not open-world in the sense that you want to explore the world. There really isn't anything to explore. The atmosphere of Gotham/Arkham is great, but the world is as empty as a B grade open-world game.

If you didn't like AC due to open-world, then you won't like Origins either. There are fast travel, though.

Sojgat

'Ping-ponging' was another key tactic I used in previous Arkham games. Is it frowned upon? XD I spend the majority of my time in the air, giving myself a moment to think about which move I need to do next to get the elusive Variation bonus. In all honesty, that hasn't changed with AO. As well as that, the Ground Pound with the combo multiplier is still the best way to build a really good score, so it's essential to get in there.

Now, if folk were complaining about Catwoman's Ground Pound recovery time in AC... That shit was ridiculous! XD

I think they're key tactics that the developers were tying to encourage more, because in AC it was easier to just rely on those other moves. Like I said, playing Origins made me better at the combat in AC, and I thought I was ok before. I also wasn't using the cape stun enough in AC, Origins showed me how useful it is.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that because I could easily get the 3 combat medals in all the AC combat challenges I thought "I must be doing this right". However I now know that my play style was far more frenzied than it needed to be.

strafer

I love the word ground pound.

kazebyaka

Banned
Gave the game a second chance and finished it. Overall I enjoyed it, but it's not nearly as good as previous games in the series. Also, story is very very weak, but it's worth it for Joker alone. Boss fights are mostly lame as hell, but what did you expect with a B-tier Batman villains?

The game looks amazing though on PC, just beautiful most of the time. I reckon it could be a good game to start the series with, but it's the weakest of the three.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Angry bats is best bats.

bats1l2qus.png

And the snow tech is really super great.

bats2q7p1j.png

Zukuu

Banned
how can I enter the door in enigma's HQ? I've destroyed all transmiters, got all towers and the file is "closed for now", yet I can't enter the door since the signal jammer is on the other side. Is it impossible or do I need fo find all datapacks beforehand?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think they're key tactics that the developers were tying to encourage more, because in AC it was easier to just rely on those other moves. Like I said, playing Origins made me better at the combat in AC, and I thought I was ok before. I also wasn't using the cape stun enough in AC, Origins showed me how useful it is.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that because I could easily get the 3 combat medals in all the AC combat challenges I thought "I must be doing this right". However I now know that my play style was far more frenzied than it needed to be.

Fair enough. Cape Stun received a big upgrade in AC.

You'll have to take my word for this, but I literally just did 1 vs 100 with Batman with only armour upgrades on my first go. Only two medals, a paltry variation bonus of 3 and not a single Ground Pound XD. It was, admittedly, harder with The Bat than Deathstroke.

This is how I feel as well. With AC there were a couple of essential moves that, if you got them very early, would make combat much, much easier (Critical Strikes, Weapon Break combos, etc). Since AO hides them behind various walls while ramping up the difficulty early on I found myself having to play with a completely different playstyle, using moves that I almost never used in AC. While I get why people like AC's system better, I prefer Origins'.

Exile20

The Wii U version seems to be the most polished, I haven't seen anyone complain about bugs yet or framerate. I have the PC version and it is trash.

haha yeah, I was afraid of something bat happening so I stood back throwing batarangs.

I hope they fix the pc rank reset soon, I actually find the multiplayer kind of fun. Also fix that gdamn comm tower.

1 vs 100 is much easier once you get a later upgrade.

very heavy end game spoilers

I guess a suicide squad game is in the work. Fuck yeah. Playable deathstroke and deadshot PLEASE.

Mogwai

Why is the pc version trash? I bought it on steam :(

It's not more trash than the other version. My humble guess is that PC people are a bit more critical in their approach. It also seems that there are more people on PC version than Wii U, thus more complaints ;)

I think 1080p60+ is enough justification for PC :p

pa22word

I'm sure its been said in this thread but my biggest problem so far is the atrocious upgrade system that they came up with. If they were gonna copy paste a lot of shit from City why change that? It's quite terrible and stupid. Where the fuck are my damn critical strikes. ugh.

Sorry if this comes across as being a little jumbled, but I gotta be at work in a bit so I kinda threw this thing together in about 5 mins, lol

Actually, from a design point of view, the upgrade system is actually much better for the type of game they were making (open world esque), at facilitating proper play, and at designing a proper difficulty curve.

Whereas City's upgrade system was just ripped from asylum, it left holes in the overall design because Asylum and City are inherently different types of games (metroid with linear progression ala fusion vs zelda-esque overworld with dungeons), and still left the problem of while you had all those fun crazy options at your hands...you never were ever really demanded usage of them at any point in the game for really reason. Origins looks to counter this issues in a number of ways through both the new upgrade system and the changes to the combat overall (in accordance with a new grading system, enemies are muchmore aggressive in Origins, to the point long time series vets are in here pouting that they changed recovery frames that, to my knowledge, they never did--it just seems that way because they're more aggressive and actually will attack you more often than not during those recovery frames, which forces players to play more adeptly or take damage and lose their combo). It opts to instead of giving you a core upgrade pool ala DMC, it sprinkles you upgrades via a linear upgrade path, via doing well in combat/predator encounters, and upon completing open world sidequests. This is inherently better system design because it not creates a system that facilitates better play, but also offers tangible benefits to actually doing sidequests and doing well in combat. In City there really was no point in completing most of the Riddler and other side stuff as the reward for doing them was largely just experience--of which was largely useless due to the way the upgrade pool was set up everyone so that everyone just bum rushed the most powerful stuff first (critical strikes, advanced maneuvers) and left the non-essential stuff they didn't really need on the floor. This was problematic for a number of reasons in City, not least of which was that it instantly created a super wacky difficulty curve where you by the midpoint of the game batman was so powerful nothing could touch him, or you could just simply have a middle of the road batman who's just fine for the job. This created problems for the designers, who are trying to create a giant open world with a linear story and have properly paced encounters.

In origins, as pointed out earlier in my post, since the upgrade system is more structured and linear plus some of the more powerful upgrades are tied into rewards for doing the sidequests themselves (of which most start later in the game) it creates a much more balanced system. One that leaves the designers with much less guesswork as to accurately predict, and therefore design the scenarios in which any player who happens to be at that fight's upgrade path, and thus allows for much tighter scripting and fight design.

Tl;Dr version: Origins systems are what City's would have been if the Arkham series systems were actually designed with an open world in the first place, instead of being retrofitted for it later after a first entry which was not an open world game.

haikira

As a self admitted fussy bastard and someone who's spent more than five hours with the PC version, I think it's perfectly fine. It's a technical step up from the previous entries, in my opinion. Getting smooth performances with all the bells and whistles on and the game looks fantastic.

I may be fortunate enough to have not encountered any issues others have. But from my experience so far, the PC version is very far from trash. In fact, it's pretty great.

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I feel like I'm in the minority on this one. :/

I also happened to enjoy the
Deathstroke
fight. I didn't have a problem beating him. Wish it was a little less QTEish, but otherwise I had fun with it.

Dave_6

Not trash IMO. I've playing it since late Thurs night (over 50% done now) and knock on wood, haven't had one issue or bug yet. Did have one instance where the game wouldn't launch while I had Afterburner open but that was simple. FWIW I haven't attempted the Riddler tower yet that a lot of folks have had issues with.

LOVE this game so far though! May be my favorite of the three right now.

haikira

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I feel like I'm in the minority on this one. :/

I also happened to enjoy the
Deathstroke
fight. I didn't have a problem beating him. Wish it was a little less QTEish, but otherwise I had fun with it.

Count me in the minority too. This game is great. The only negative I can muster up so far, is that it follows the previous formula quite strictly, which isn't a particularly damning thing to say in this case.

Sojgat

Sorry if this comes across as being a little jumbled, but I gotta be at work in a bit so I kinda threw this thing together in about 5 mins, lol

Actually, from a design point of view, the upgrade system is actually much better for the type of game they were making (open world esque), at facilitating proper play, and at designing a proper difficulty curve.

Whereas City's upgrade system was just ripped from asylum, it left holes in the overall design because Asylum and City are inherently different types of games (metroid with linear progression ala fusion vs zelda-esque overworld with dungeons), and still left the problem of while you had all those fun crazy options at your hands...you never were ever really demanded usage of them at any point in the game for really reason. Origins looks to counter this issues in a number of ways through both the new upgrade system and the changes to the combat overall (in accordance with a new grading system, enemies are muchmore aggressive in Origins, to the point long time series vets are in here pouting that they changed recovery frames that, to my knowledge, they never did--it just seems that way because they're more aggressive and actually will attack you more often than not during those recovery frames, which forces players to play more adeptly or take damage and lose their combo). It opts to instead of giving you a core upgrade pool ala DMC, it sprinkles you upgrades via a linear upgrade path, via doing well in combat/predator encounters, and upon completing open world sidequests. This is inherently better system design because it not creates a system that facilitates better play, but also offers tangible benefits to actually doing sidequests and doing well in combat. In City there really was no point in completing most of the Riddler and other side stuff as the reward for doing them was largely just experience--of which was largely useless due to the way the upgrade pool was set up everyone so that everyone just bum rushed the most powerful stuff first (critical strikes, advanced maneuvers) and left the non-essential stuff they didn't really need on the floor. This was problematic for a number of reasons in City, not least of which was that it instantly created a super wacky difficulty curve where you by the midpoint of the game batman was so powerful nothing could touch him, or you could just simply have a middle of the road batman who's just fine for the job. This created problems for the designers, who are trying to create a giant open world with a linear story and have properly paced encounters.

In origins, as pointed out earlier in my post, since the upgrade system is more structured and linear plus some of the more powerful upgrades are tied into rewards for doing the sidequests themselves (of which most start later in the game) it creates a much more balanced system. One that leaves the designers with much less guesswork as to accurately predict, and therefore design the scenarios in which any player who happens to be at that fight's upgrade path, and thus allows for much tighter scripting and fight design.

Tl;Dr version: Origins systems are what City's would have been if the Arkham series systems were actually designed with an open world in the first place, instead of being retrofitted for it later after a first entry which was not an open world game.

I agree with all of this.

kazebyaka

Banned
Did anyone else think that the game is too easy on Normal? When you get a grip on fighting mechanics, it becomes a breeze to beat any number on enemies.

pa22word

Once you get the critical strikes combat in AO goes back to AC level of easiness.

You can't get the critical strikes until what, the 66% point of the game or so? And that's still a vast overexaggeration as by that point in the game you're being overloaded by large groups of enemies that are much more aggressive than in AC mixed in with new enemy types that are designed to knock you out of a large combo by demanding stuff like double counters and such to take them down. It's a moot point anyways as in AO they wait until after you've had enough time to hone your skill and master the combat system, so the CS feel more a boost to your preexisting skill rather than a crutch like in AC, which gives it to you basically immediately. Look, I know /why/ they gave you the CS early in both AC and AA: they did it to discourage button mashing and get you to play properly. But after 2 games that's a moot point by now, plus there's the rebalanced enemy AI which makes mashing ineffective anyways as you now have to either counter or evade every other blow or two now.

Did anyone else think that the game is too easy on Normal? When you get a grip on fighting mechanics, it becomes a breeze to beat any number on enemies.

Uh, have you played AC or AA yet? If not, you will straight fall asleep playing those games if you think this one is too easy, lol.

Double D

So that second (
third?
) boss fight with
Bane.
It says to take advantage of the electrified doors but I have no idea how to use them.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So that second (
third?
) boss fight with
Bane.
It says to take advantage of the electrified doors but I have no idea how to use them.

Sneak up on him from behind and do a silent takedown, when he's near the electrified gate press the button that shows up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I surprised some people here didn't get that the fight with (early boss spoiler)
The Electrocutioner
was an
Indy vs Swordsman style joke
. I laughed.

andthebeatgoeson

Gave the game a second chance and finished it. Overall I enjoyed it, but it's not nearly as good as previous games in the series. Also, story is very very weak, but it's worth it for Joker alone. Boss fights are mostly lame as hell, but what did you expect with a B-tier Batman villains?

The game looks amazing though on PC, just beautiful most of the time. I reckon it could be a good game to start the series with, but it's the weakest of the three.
How long of a game?

I dunno what it is about this game that makes me enjoy it more than City, but it's there for me. I absolutely love it so far and I am not even that far into it.

pa22word

Well, I did beat 100% out of AA and finished AC twice...

Then I don't really see the point in that post...? Of course the game is easy if you've already mastered the mechanics by the time you play it, that's half the battle! That's like someone who's beaten Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja saying "oh well eh, Normal is really pretty easy once you get a hang of the mechanics..."

Not trying to call you out or be confrontational or anything but, yeah >.>

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My main negative is definitely all the buildings and signage that you can't grapple. That's blasphemous. Why are there so many giant buildings just in the way of traversal that you're forced to go around instead of over?!

I can forgive some framerate issues and whatnot, but the picky grappling is a big problem for me. I'm Batman, you can't tell me I shouldn't be able to scale that building.

kazebyaka

Banned
Then I don't really see the point in that post...? Of course the game is easy if you've already mastered the mechanics by the time you play it, that's half the battle! That's like someone who's beaten Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja saying "oh well eh, Normal is really pretty easy once you get a hang of the mechanics..."

Not trying to call you out or be confrontational or anything but, yeah >.>
I just see people struggling with the battles in AO, and I didn't see anything hard with at all. It's as easy as any other game in series.

How long of a game?

6-7 hours

pa22word

I just see people struggling with the battles in AO, and I didn't see anything hard with at all. It's as easy as any other game in series.

I can't really see how this is true in anyway, that is unless you took the armor boosts last and played through most of the game at lvl 0 armor, ha, as this game forces you to take them first. But then I'd still say the game is still harder overall (enemies hit waaaaay more often in AO), you just died easier in the first two games. The enemies are just overall so much more aggressive in AO, not to mention the introduction of enemies that require double countering and such.

kazebyaka

Banned
I can't really see how this is true in anyway, that is unless you took the armor boosts last and played through most of the game at lvl 0 armor, ha, as this game forces you to take them first. But then I'd still say the game is still harder overall (enemies hit waaaaay more often in AO), you just died easier in the first two games. The enemies are just overall so much more aggressive in AO, not to mention the introduction of enemies that require double countering and such.
Maybe my memory plays tricks with me, but I didn't notice any change in fighting flow at all...

justjim89

Day 3 of still no fucking cutscenes playing properly. I've taken to watching them on Youtube after each play session to keep abreast on what's going on in the story. Which is fucking pathetic.

I do have a question about the game itself, though.

After I fend off Copperhead and get the antidote, I had one small scuffle with Copperhead and nothing else since then. My objective still says defeat her, but I can't find her. It even let me leave the mill and my objective still says defeat her and I have no waypoint. What do I do here?

pa22word

Maybe my memory plays tricks with me, but I didn't notice any change in fighting flow at all...

Yeah, your memory is definitely playing tricks on you then. In AO enemies are distinctly more aggressive, and will casually take advantage of Batman's recovery frames more often than not if you let them.

Just read through this thread and check all the posts of people complaining about having to counter every other hit now, lol.

This game defeats Arkham City hands down in my opinion. Rocksteady created the basis and Warner Bros expanded upon its universe in a way where I feel that this franchise is pretty safe in their hands.

Arkham Asylum still holds the candle but that was because it came at a time where we all thought superhero games can never be anything but average, with Spiderman 2 being the better than average game.

AA introduced an intriguing storyline, insanely good atmosphere, a great villain voiced by Mark Hamilton and a visceral combat system that made you play like the ba(t)ass Batman always was.

Now I have been playing this game over a course of a few hours and I must say it has the far better story than Arkham City, and the greatly atmospheric environments that each new story mission introduces, is something that makes the game feel fresh each time you start a new adventure. The myriad of characters that are introduced into this game is also another aspect that makes this game feel fresh after every completion of the mission. It is not always an encounter with 'just' The Joker, but each side quest or story mission grabs my attention because there is a new character I am dying to see more off.

I also absolutely adore the improved combat system where you have to stay on your toes. You can not just always wait for the inevitable counter pop-up and be done with everything. You have to move around, and punch enemies accordingly and with the proper timing because if you do not you'll get hit by these very aggressive mobsters. The multiple counter system where 3 or more flashes pop-up and you can act accordingly by pressing the counter button by the same amount, is definitely one of those improvements I love.

GOTY? No. But it definitely sits in my Top 10 for this year and actually kicking Arkham City out of that list.

Top Bottom